help?!
dognameddrew
Posted 2004-08-16 11:12 PM (#9214)
Subject: help?!

so I'm entering week seven of my first yoga experience...initially i struggled and slowly felt better about my practice, but lately I'm really struggling both mentally and physically? is this all in my head or what? I need to know i can overcome this hump, but I'm developing a quitters attitude about halfway through class the last week and a half---i go every other day and have been eating better (give or take) since i started but i'm still gettting my butt kicked...any ideas? stories? motivational kicks in the arse?

Edited by dognameddrew 2004-08-16 11:14 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gracie
Posted 2004-08-16 11:18 PM (#9216 - in reply to #9214)
Subject: RE: help?!

I know this is weird, but I like to look at the bikram yoga website, and click on the links of all the different studios. For some reason I get inspired when I see all these different people practicing in different cities/countries. I like to read testimonials and look at the pictures of people doing the poses. It really gets me pumped up for my next day's practice....

I guess what I am trying to say is that everyone goes through those feelings. Sometimes it feels like torture. I think it's in your head....at least it is in mine! I can talk myself out of it, just as easily as I can talk myself into it.

Posted 2004-08-17 8:55 AM (#9219 - in reply to #9214)

Welcome to the rollercoaster ride known as Bikram yoga. During my first year I ran the gamet of emotions and physical being-from actually thinking I could teach the stuff to never wanting to set foot in a studio again--all teachers I have dealt with say this is normal and no day, indeed, no minute is the same. I find solice and inspiration there and recognize that any bad time will be followed by good--unfortunately, the reverse is true as well.
innerline
Posted 2004-08-17 5:07 PM (#9233 - in reply to #9214)

Can you accept yourself however you are feeling? Can you honor what your innerself is telling you? Can you sit when your innerself is not into all the struggle. Can you honor these deep feelings and still act? Can you let go of struggle? The ego is like a wild tiger. It will try to kill you instead of giving up its grasp. Ego needs to learn to follow not lead.
sanjayw
Posted 2004-08-18 2:17 AM (#9250 - in reply to #9214)

I think it is important to remember that you are going to have good and bad days depending on many different factors. If you start to feel tired more easily than normal on a given day, don't push so hard on that day even if that means not going as far as you normally do. Sit out or only do one of the sets of certain poses if it does not feel right on a given day. Also, it is good to concentrate on how Bikram is helping you. I'm sure there have been changes which you notice: weight? muscle tone? greater flexibility? less stress? good sleep?. I think sometimes that one purpose for those mirrors is so when you start to question why you are putting yourself through hell, you can't help but notice that your body is looking better.
MariaFloresta
Posted 2004-08-18 3:26 PM (#9257 - in reply to #9214)

I also try to focus on the positive changes I've experienced on the days I feel a little draggy and wonder if I will make it through. I remind myself of how good and relaxed I feel afterwards. In addition, I vary when I go which allows me to work with different teachers. Luckily my studio isn't super dialogue oriented and some classes are silent, so there is more variety. The other thing that helps me is to focus on a small task for the session - right now it's keeping my jaw relaxed, which helps relieve my neck tension and in the balancing poses trying to get more weight on the inside part of my leg. Somehow when I don't focus on the big picture of an 1 1/2 of hard work, but those little things, my mind settles down.
Maria
dognameddrew
Posted 2004-08-18 7:20 PM (#9263 - in reply to #9214)

thanx all for the response...yesterday's class went very good and I'm slowly coming to grips with the fact that every class is going to feel somewhat different...this is the begining of a love/hate relationship, but has yielded great results so far, no recent visits to the chiropractor and my body has begun to change...now i have to work on my mind!

Posted 2004-08-18 7:49 PM (#9264 - in reply to #9263)

Here's my rendition of my Bikram Journey. My teacher asked us to write down our thoughts and I obliged (names changed to protect the innocent):

Once upon a time, there was an Air Force warrior who spent many years successfully defending the United States and keeping America the land of the free. He grew up playing football and running to keep physically fit. Brainwashed by the fitness icons of the 70’s, he thought cardio and fitness equated to jogging and free weights and that anything else was for sissies.

One day, the warrior retired from his military career and he entered the world of capitalism and the search for the almighty dollar. The demands of this second career were ferocious but the warrior was equal to the challenge and he threw himself into his work forsaking family and self in an attempt to succeed. As he aged however, he noticed that injuries while running and lifting weights--when he could manage the time--were occurring frequently and the time to heal extended. Additionally, the warrior’s outlook on life became a constant vision of evil. He looked at the world as a series of events that were evidence that proved mankind should be eliminated. “This is not good,” thought the warrior and he began a quest for a regiment to enhance his physical and mental well-being.

And it came to pass that the warrior happened to read an article on Bikram yoga. A fellow soldier had been recommending yoga for quite sometime. “Nonsense,” the warrior scoffed. “Yoga is goofy, a whimsical dance for ballerinas and emaciated Hindus with undertones of cultist chanting and ringing symbols. I am an American man and will not be part of such buffoonery!” Something however in the article sparked his interest and he decided to try a class. Upon arrival a fair maid who ignored his age and demeanor welcomed him. The warrior took his place among the small gathering and began his initial practice. Stripped to minimal attire, he saw himself in huge, unforgiving reflection as he miserably attempted postures he’d never envisioned. It was a humiliation the warrior had not been prepared for. Soon he realized this torture was not for him and he exited the room. The fair maid teacher, Lady C, was having none of that and ordered the warrior to return to his position. Lovely as she was, he refused and retreated to his barracks. Later that evening, while hefting a yard of ale, the warrior noticed his shoulder, injured years before as a prisoner of war, caused him no discomfort as he raised his tankard. “How strange,” he thought. “Years of conventional medical treatment, massage and drugs never alleviated this pain. Could it possibly be that one yoga session could have accomplished such a feat?” Curious to find out, the warrior returned to the class the following day. Indeed it was true—the pain was gone and after only several more classes, full range of motion returned to the warrior’s formerly battered shoulder. Attendance at yoga became a regular event. In addition to Lady C, Mistress L of Idaho guided the warrior towards progress in attempting asanas, understanding the mental discipline yoga requires, and finding peace within himself.

Months passed and the warrior struggled toward self-actualization under the tutelage of the dedicated pair of yoginis. They endured his obnoxious demeanor, his classroom antics and lack of understanding of the art and science of Bikram yoga. They leveraged his pride and honor to direct him toward proper form and execution. They sympathized with his failings but never excused them. They listened to his appeals for modifications but benevolently rejected them to keep him on the proper path of enlightenment. As a result of their unrelenting efforts, the warrior lost excess weight. Inches fell from his posterior and belly. His muscles stretched and toned and flexibility heretofore not seen began to permeate his form. His manhood responded favorably to the increased blood flow and oxygen. The yoginis, undeterred by occasional slips in form or in attitude, nudged the warrior ever forward. The warrior even began to explore the various styles of yoga taking ashtanga and vinyasa. He communicated with yoga teachers far and wide, probing their knowledge and applying it to his practice.

Lo it came to pass that the enlightened warrior learned well the lessons taught by the Bikam angels and his practice became the epitome of tranquility and concentration. Many of his comrades commented on his improved attitude and enhanced appearance as he radiated health and happiness. Even his wife thanked the angels for his better outlook on life as well as his increased prowess in the bedchamber. The Bikram yoginis praised the warrior on becoming a good student and no longer tormented him in class. In fact, when the warrior dared think he too could become a teacher, they did not laugh in his face, indeed they encouraged him to follow this dream.

So we arrive to the present day and our warrior continues his practice under the wise direction of Lady C and Mistress L. What will the future bring for this trio of Bikram devotees? It is certain they will live happily ever after.

The End

Bay Guy
Posted 2004-08-18 9:18 PM (#9265 - in reply to #9264)

Expert Yogi

Hey Bruce ---

You go, guy!! And don't ever let go of your yoga practice,
whatever it may become.

Gracie
Posted 2004-08-18 10:41 PM (#9266 - in reply to #9214)

Thanks for sharing your story. You are a true inspiration.
LoraB
Posted 2004-08-19 9:41 AM (#9272 - in reply to #9214)

Bruce,

That was fabulous and should be sent to every male who thinks "yoga is for sissies" and is a bunch of "buffoonery". In fact, send it to every male, period. As usual, your expressivess brightens up the boards and englightens us all. Thanks!
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-08-19 1:05 PM (#9275 - in reply to #9214)

My goodness Bruce! I am overwhelmed by your verbosity. That has got to be the longest post you have written in this forum. Very nice. I really liked the warrior thing. You really should be the poster boy for guys who think yoga is not demanding enough.

Peace to you as you continue on your yoga journey.

Grasshopper say: We love yoga!

Posted 2004-08-19 1:34 PM (#9276 - in reply to #9214)

Thanks all--glad you enjoyed it.
innerline
Posted 2004-08-23 8:52 PM (#9353 - in reply to #9214)

I was so pethetic in my first class that my ego could not walk away. I was a athletic warrior, went through military fraternity hazing for months and came against my greatest challenge in Bikram Yoga. Funny how it was my ego that got me to keep going and it is my ego that has died and keeps dieing to this day.