NIA classes
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-01-28 9:41 PM (#15735)
Subject: NIA classes

I was wondering if anyone here had ever taken a Nia class (stands for Neuro-Intramuscular Action and also Non-Impact Aerobics). I bought the DVD called Global Unity and am just beginning to read The Nia Technique, and so far I'm totally smitten!

I just heard of Nia a few weeks ago, but apparently it began sweeping the nation back in the 1980's (U.S.A. - I guess I should specify which nation with so many international friends on this forum). So, since apparently I'm late to the party as usual, I was wondering if anyone else had a take on this? It sounds too good to be true, and is definitely too much fun. I feel like a little kid doing the exercises!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
flipcat
Posted 2005-01-29 10:59 AM (#15753 - in reply to #15735)
Subject: RE: NIA classes

I just learned of Nia 2 months ago (BTW, the cool kids are late to the party ). I am very curious about it, but there is not a practicing teacher around. Bummer too, b/c there is an intensive training coming to the state (so there has to a least be blossoming teachers around) and I just can't drop the money right now. I would also love to at least see a class first but it sounds great. Keep us posted as to what you learn!

Amy
sirensong2
Posted 2005-01-29 11:08 AM (#15756 - in reply to #15735)

i looooove nia! i discovered it at my gym about three yeas ago- now I go to a nia studio in cambridge occasionally to take classes. it is incredible fun, a great excuse to just shake loose! ( sorry about the mini rap) After taking loads of formal dance tech- it's SUCH a breath of fresh air.
debbie and carlos rosas seem to be touring around to promote that new book you're reading- so you might have the opp. to dance with them too. (my teacher said, usining her gravest, most serious manner- "they are NOT to be missed. they are incredible. it will be a very positive experience.") they'll be at the boston ballet school on valentines day for a master class . I guess because NIA as a fad has faded a bit, it's no where near as expensive as taking a class with a yoga"master" these days.

i'm so excited for you. enjoy enjoy enjoy!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-01-29 11:10 AM (#15757 - in reply to #15735)

If you want to try it at home, there is a DVD available on their website (www.nia-nia.com). I LOVE the practice on the DVD, but would like to try a live class as well! With just one DVD, it's hard to tell which parts can vary from class to class.