Bikram Yoga as Therapy.
MrD
Posted 2005-02-22 8:06 PM (#17430)
Subject: Bikram Yoga as Therapy.

At work the other day I was listening to a friend of mine who said his back problems were cured by yoga. Being all ears, I asked him what he did. His story went something like this.

I was in an auto accident years ago. I had been going to a Chiropractor every week for years to try and stop my back pain. I heard about Bikram Yoga and signed up for the beginner package. Go as many times as you can for the next 10 days. I went into the studio every day. When I went into the postures I could feel my back cracking into place. After the 10 days my back was completely cured and I haven't needed to go to the chiropractor since. My pain just went away.

Has any one else heard of similar stories?

Edited by MrD 2005-02-22 8:08 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-22 8:42 PM (#17433 - in reply to #17430)
Subject: RE: Bikram Yoga as Therapy.

Expert Yogi

Weren't most of Bikram's students especially in the early years all problem related.  In his book there are so many testimonials about people being cured from all kinds of things..like Doctors saying you'll never walk again and how they found Bikram and stood on the wall and did the postures till they could eventually do them 100%, or what I am amazed is the elderly women that attend his studios...they are absolutely incredible.  Then the stories of how the Doctors in L.A. that say "I can't help you, but this little Indian man named Bikram Choudhury can".  If you read the Bikram Beginning book its all there and very interesting reading.

As for my own cure...I am more relaxed about life..like I have my own business, I homeschool my 12 yr old daughter, I take care of my 40 year old Amazon Parrot, I now have a Rottweiler puppy who eats everything - I mean everything, and I have 2 Manx cats, an Aquarium, I'm a beekeeper (honeymaker), I grow my own organic vegetable and flower garden and I have a 20 year old son in College that pushes every button he thinks will upset my world.  For once in my life and a big change from 15 years ago when my children were small.... I don't react to other people's crisis, I'm healthy and do natural Traditional Chinese Medicine, complimented with Auryvedic principals and basically my environment is pure and uncontaminated with BS!!  It is so wonderful to be alive and actually feel my presence instead of feeling like I wanted to put a gun to my head because the intensity of previous taught patterns as a child and into adulthood were so difficult to manage and put into a healthy and happy life.

I love to hear these kinds of stories because it is proof that Yoga works and in my case especially the Bikram method - heat and all.  I love it and if I go for more than 2 or 3 days without it...I can feel it. 

Edited by Cyndi 2005-02-22 8:44 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-02-22 9:10 PM (#17440 - in reply to #17430)

Expert Yogi

Have you read Bruce's story? Instant cure of his intractable shoulder injury after the first class, I think!
yogabrian
Posted 2005-02-22 10:49 PM (#17454 - in reply to #17430)

Yes. I have heard those stories myself over the years. But it does make sense as the main system (the 84 classic asanas) in which Bikram derived his series from is used as therapy. Bikram comes from Bishnu Ghosh who was considered quite a healer himself. At the Ghosh yoga center, they use different combinations for different aliments (or so I have been told) still to this day.

Bikram was not the first to use the asanas as therapy, but his was the first to really make yoga explode to the west. That was his mission his teacher gave him and I would say that he certainly has done what his teacher told him to do.
sanjayw
Posted 2005-02-23 3:27 AM (#17456 - in reply to #17430)

I started Bikram mainly as a way to get in shape and get more flexible. However, one happy and unplanned consequence is that I no longer suffer from heartburn/acid reflux. While I had never had to take prescription meds, I had to pretty consistently take over-the counter meds for it. Since Bikram I have been reflux free...
Posted 2005-02-24 2:53 PM (#17588 - in reply to #17430)

Nice stories. I had to stop doing Bikram 3 x week because it was making my lower back ache more. Plus, my hands were going numb. My back aches less since giving up Bikram (3 years of Bikram, too) and my hands are no longer numb. I think the ranges of motion touted in Bikram class aren't so good. I mean they are too much. I found many of the postures really strained my neck muscles, causing some kind of constriction in the nerves going down my arms. I haven't been to a chiropractor or any other doctor so I'm kind of winging it. I'm not really sure it was the Bikram casuing discomfort but I stopped anyway. It's Iyengar for me and my musculo-skeletal system now. Seems pretty good but I miss the "high" of B.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-02-24 3:07 PM (#17590 - in reply to #17588)

Expert Yogi

Why don't you try learning Iyengar alignment principals and do your Bikram once a week and then move to twice a week so that you can get your high??
Posted 2005-02-24 9:59 PM (#17615 - in reply to #17430)

That's a good idea. I would love to find a modified Bikram class. The studio I used to go to for B-yoga was super strict about do the poses "right". If I modified the poses myself I would get yelled at by the teacher. The bad part is that if I brought up my musculo-skeletal issues with the teacher before or after class I got the pat answer "your body is releasing toxins". I believed it for a while but after a while I thought this particular studio/teacher wasn't really well trained in physiology so I moved on.

Any Bikram-lite classes out there? Thanx

Posted 2005-02-24 10:20 PM (#17618 - in reply to #17615)

Unfortunately, in my expereinces, all Bikram classes are Bikram-lite.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-02-24 10:38 PM (#17622 - in reply to #17618)

Expert Yogi

You are starting to sound like me.

Posted 2005-02-25 6:53 AM (#17652 - in reply to #17622)

We were separated at birth.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-02-25 8:02 AM (#17657 - in reply to #17615)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Guest-

I read your previous post regarding Bikram contributing to neck strain and it really resonated with me. I think Bikram yoga (practiced the "right" way, that is) is very neck unfriendly. I have developed neck issues, not as a result of Bikram (I don't think so, anyway) but when I'm in the midst of a painful episode, certain things definitely aggravate my neck.

So I've started to do (and teach- I'm an instructor) a few things differently. On the backbends (one w/halfmoon and camel) I really focus on lengthening the spine before I let my head go back. I do let it drop back all the way (I think that halfway hanging back causes more strain) but gently. During cobra and full locust I keep the neck in line with the rest of the spine rather than letting it drop back. During locust I look down during the parts where you lift one leg at a time rather than keeping the chin forward. And on Stading Sep. Leg Stretching I bring the top of the head to the floor, ashtanga style, rather than the forehead.

Once I started to analyze it, I realized that the neck is cranked back unnecessarily (in my opinion) in many of the poses. I'm sure the Bikram police would tar, feather and ride me out of town on a rail for practicing and (gasp!) instructing the way I do. But I'm the one who has to live in my body and I do yoga to make that a better, not worse, experience.

I agree that the "your body is releasing toxins" response is often a lame attempt to cover up a lack of knowledge. Ugh. But if you really like Bikram yoga, and you're in a city with multiple studios, try another one. Or perhaps a hot yoga studio- they're often run by certified instructors who, for whatever reason, didn't choose to affiliate with Bikram.
gogirl58
Posted 2005-03-12 12:34 PM (#18853 - in reply to #17430)

Extreme Veteran

Thank you for those modifications. I will practice them. As opposed to a lot of people who post, my teachers are not into yelling, peggy
miss dee
Posted 2005-03-12 1:33 PM (#18858 - in reply to #17657)

Hi Julie,

I read your post again this morning.
What wonderful modifications! What great thoughts about back bending and the heavy head in relation to the cervical spine. Thank you for posting this. I will start to look more closely at my students in these postures. I think that maybe this could be part of the cause of so much 'fear' in back bending. Maybe they're afraid their head will fall off or their neck will break. I think this hyper- drop of the head inhibits the breath too. I will practice on myself today and tomorrow while I do my postures to get the feeling of the modification and to be able to better explain it. I have always been cautious with those who have upper back or neck issues in back bending… but full-time awareness on this level is …priceless. I am looking forward to see how this changes back bending.
Thanks for offering new awareness.

Yay yoga!
Dee

JackieCat - 2005-02-27 7:02 AM

Hi Guest-

I read your previous post regarding Bikram contributing to neck strain and it really resonated with me. I think Bikram yoga (practiced the "right" way, that is) is very neck unfriendly. I have developed neck issues, not as a result of Bikram (I don't think so, anyway) but when I'm in the midst of a painful episode, certain things definitely aggravate my neck.

So I've started to do (and teach- I'm an instructor) a few things differently. On the backbends (one w/halfmoon and camel) I really focus on lengthening the spine before I let my head go back. I do let it drop back all the way (I think that halfway hanging back causes more strain) but gently. During cobra and full locust I keep the neck in line with the rest of the spine rather than letting it drop back. During locust I look down during the parts where you lift one leg at a time rather than keeping the chin forward. And on Stading Sep. Leg Stretching I bring the top of the head to the floor, ashtanga style, rather than the forehead.

Once I started to analyze it, I realized that the neck is cranked back unnecessarily (in my opinion) in many of the poses. I'm sure the Bikram police would tar, feather and ride me out of town on a rail for practicing and (gasp!) instructing the way I do. But I'm the one who has to live in my body and I do yoga to make that a better, not worse, experience.

I agree that the "your body is releasing toxins" response is often a lame attempt to cover up a lack of knowledge. Ugh. But if you really like Bikram yoga, and you're in a city with multiple studios, try another one. Or perhaps a hot yoga studio- they're often run by certified instructors who, for whatever reason, didn't choose to affiliate with Bikram.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-12 1:58 PM (#18860 - in reply to #18853)

I'm a certified Bikram Yoga instructor. I teach straight Bikram Method Yoga. I don't think any of the modifications you describe above, except perhaps for Sep Leg Stretching, are inconsistent with the Bikram Method. And as for Sep Leg Stretching, I encourage people to keep the chins forward until they can get their back flat. The flatter the back, the more the neck can be straightened out, until eventually, the top of the head will touch the floor. In my experience, most beginner students, of whom I largely teach, can help get the spine more flat and stretched by pulling the chin out and bringing the forehead towards the floor. More "advanced" or very flexible students may find it more satisfying to straighten the neck.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-03-12 2:06 PM (#18861 - in reply to #17588)

guest - 2005-02-25 8:53 PM
I had to stop doing Bikram 3 x week because it was making my lower back ache more. Plus, my hands were going numb.
I'm not really sure it was the Bikram casuing discomfort but I stopped anyway. It's Iyengar for me and my musculo-skeletal system now.

I find that a bit strange, guest, since all the bikram asanas are pretty much the same that we also do in Iyengar. Maybe because of the heat you felt comfortable do go deeper into the poses than you would normally do in a "cold" class. That can be harmful.

With the rest of you guys I have to agree, acid heart-burn, back pain, nearly gone!

Yay yoga!!!
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-12 2:08 PM (#18862 - in reply to #17430)

I should add that I tell my students that they should never be in pain during a posture. If the back of the neck hurts in a back bend then I suggest they don't push it back so far and to work more gently with the neck. I always emphasize lengthening the spine before bending it in any direction.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-03-12 2:18 PM (#18864 - in reply to #18860)

Extreme Veteran

And as for Sep Leg Stretching, I encourage people to keep the chins forward until they can get their back flat. The flatter the back, the more the neck can be straightened out, until eventually, the top of the head will touch the floor. In my experience, most beginner students, of whom I largely teach, can help get the spine more flat and stretched by pulling the chin out and bringing the forehead towards the floor. More "advanced" or very flexible students may find it more satisfying to straighten the neck.

I too am a certified Bikram instructor. But I find that pulling the chin out puts unnecessary strain on my neck (it wasn't always like this, but I've developed these neck issues that can be really painful.) That led me to explore other ways of doing some of the postures, and as my practice informs my teaching, I share it as an option in my classes.

I stress that it's necessary to really lift the hips up and bring the weight forward in this pose, and to focus on hinging at the hips to help keep the spine straight. It seems that the straighter one's back is going into this, the more likely one is to be able to stay straight.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-12 2:42 PM (#18869 - in reply to #18864)

I stress that it's necessary to really lift the hips up and bring the weight forward in this pose, and to focus on hinging at the hips to help keep the spine straight. It seems that the straighter one's back is going into this, the more likely one is to be able to stay straight.

Agreed.
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-12 4:56 PM (#18880 - in reply to #17430)

Jackiecat,

How strong are your lower abs? If the neck is feeling strain in that range of motion, you may be losing core stability which can effect the neck.

This sounds strange, but try putting your tounge on the roof of your mouth, drawing back the belly button(don't suck back.) and concentrate on relaxtion of the upper abs when you try the pose next time. Then try on lift the head slowly. This should help with you neck stabilty a bit. Remember as always go slow and be respectful of your body. Let us know what happens.

Oh yeah and don't lock you knees while you do it.

B
JackieCat
Posted 2005-03-12 6:00 PM (#18883 - in reply to #18880)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Brian-

I think they're pretty strong . . . I do pilates and other core conditioning in addition to yoga. My neck thing is weird, and I'm not unconvinced that it is a mind/body thing to a certain extent. When it flares up, it just get really super sore over a period of about 24 hours and at the worst point, it's impossible for me to drop my head back at all when doing the Bikram breathing exercise. It takes a couple of weeks (under chiropractic care) to get back to normal.

So I am now just very vigilant about protecting and babying the neck. I'm able to try to touch my forehead to the floor (in SSLS)- I can sometimes touch it- but it just feels better to keep my neck straight.

But thanks for your tip . . . I am going to try it next time I practice and I'll report back.
innerline
Posted 2005-03-14 1:08 PM (#19043 - in reply to #17657)

JackieCat: I love all the changes you made. I teach it this way too. Right on. Sep leg stretch is much better with the top of the head down. The spine gets straight as it lengthens not as someone tries to make it staight. In this posture, many people spines are angled foward infront of the toes. This is a sign of trying to force it straight. Top of the head pointing down inbetween the balls of the feet is how I teach it . The body already knows the most effective way to do the posture, listen and it will tell you. Don't get stuck trying to do it the "right" way.
yogabrian
Posted 2005-03-14 1:10 PM (#19046 - in reply to #17430)

jackiecat,

just curious, are you doing pilates classes or privates on the refromer? Also, what kind of core work are you doing?
innerline
Posted 2005-03-14 1:26 PM (#19049 - in reply to #17657)

JackieCat: I love all the changes you made. I teach it this way too. Right on. Sep leg stretch is much better with the top of the head down. The spine gets straight as it lengthens not as someone tries to make it staight. In this posture, many people spines are angled foward infront of the toes. This is a sign of trying to force it straight. Top of the head pointing down inbetween the balls of the feet is how I teach it .

jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-25 2:38 PM (#20038 - in reply to #18860)

At my Bikram yoga school, those of us with severe back problems (or any other problem) are allowed to use modifications if we have doctor's orders not to do certain things or if a posture causes sharp pain. If I had to do every posture according to the model, I would have thrown out my back by now or quit. My instructor identified a priority of stretching for me to ease me into the absolutes on the postures that are difficult for me. I would never try to do any of the standing forward bending poses with my head down, for example. I am too tight to go far, and dropping my head puts incredible pressure on my lower back. Therefore, I keep my head slightly lifted on any standing posture that has us bending forward.

Jeri

Posted 2005-03-25 3:27 PM (#20045 - in reply to #20038)

Hello Jeri. Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have some competent instructors and are enjoying your yoga journey. Glad you're aboard.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-26 7:18 AM (#20087 - in reply to #20045)

Thank you Bruce! Happy to be here! I love my Bikram class and this week I managed to go five days in a row.

But I was under the impression that ALL Bikram yoga teachers were held to a certain level of expertise because they go to a special college to be trained. Am I hopelessly naive and laughably ill informed?

I think that anybody with back trouble can benefit from yoga (I sure have!) but at the same time, anybody with back trouble who tried to do everything according to the model in any style would injure himself or herself sooner or later. Surely instructors realize that a person with a 20 degree curve in the spine has to be cautious.

Jeri
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-26 12:13 PM (#20106 - in reply to #20087)

Expert Yogi

Hi Jeri,

Glad to see another Bikramite from my area..well sorda. I'm up here in NC close to GA. We do Bikram up here too!! So, how is the Decatur Bikram Studio?? I've always wanted to try it out but I've been somewhat Chicken. I have a place in Atlanta that I stay at when I don't feel like driving back home. I haven't ventured to the Atlanta Bikram studios - yet. Take care

Cyndi
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-26 2:09 PM (#20118 - in reply to #20106)

Hi Cyndi,

I apologize for being confusing in what I wrote. I've never been to the Decatur Bikram school, but they have a groovy web page that show each posture and the different benefits associated with each one. I find it very motivational to read before class.

Here is the URL:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/Postures/Postureindex.htm

I go to a Bikram school in Raleigh NC. I like it a lot, though I must admit, working out in yoga is VERY different from martial arts.

Best wishes,
Jeri

Posted 2005-03-26 3:45 PM (#20124 - in reply to #20118)

Jeri--don't you love the site in Noose Australia? The owner, Gabrielle is a wonderful person as well. She and her husband (who does the site) and thier baby are spending some time in France now so the baby can learn French--pretty cool I think.
Any way, you wrote above, "But I was under the impression that ALL Bikram yoga teachers were held to a certain level of expertise because they go to a special college to be trained. Am I hopelessly naive and laughably ill informed?"

I don't think you're hopelessly naive. The special college" is simply Bikram's teacher training course and monologue memorization. If you read through the Bikram thread here you'll see what folks have to say who actually went through it. The sane graduates recognize that the spiel can not be execute to any and everyone for any occasion. SImilalry, the educated student who's aware of his/her abilities won't blindly follow the monologue.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-26 6:33 PM (#20131 - in reply to #20124)

Expert Yogi

Watch out for that negativity there Bruce

Posted 2005-03-26 7:16 PM (#20134 - in reply to #20131)

Glenda, I tried SO hard not to be negative--I think just cause you know me you gleaned some.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-26 8:17 PM (#20137 - in reply to #20124)

Bruce - 2005-03-26 3:45 PM

I don't think you're hopelessly naive. The special college" is simply Bikram's teacher training course and monologue memorization. If you read through the Bikram thread here you'll see what folks have to say who actually went through it. The sane graduates recognize that the spiel can not be execute to any and everyone for any occasion. SImilalry, the educated student who's aware of his/her abilities won't blindly follow the monologue.

Well, now I am crestfallen and cynical. No, not really, but thanks for the reality check. My school, then, does have good teachers who understand physiology pretty well. They know about my back trouble and have given me good advice but never tried to order me into doing something I thought was risky for my back.

Jeri
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-26 10:14 PM (#20149 - in reply to #20134)

Expert Yogi

Bruce - 2005-03-26 7:16 PM

Glenda, I tried SO hard not to be negative--I think just cause you know me you gleaned some.

Brother Bruce, it's a difficult path to be a Pollyanna. I personally have to sit on my
evil little fingers sometimes, so that they perform no mischief on the keyboard.
tourist
Posted 2005-03-27 11:09 AM (#20192 - in reply to #20134)

Expert Yogi

That's me - I'm just a little negativity gleaner!

Love the new Avatar - what the heck is it?

Posted 2005-03-27 12:02 PM (#20195 - in reply to #20192)

It's a yogified Celtic knot (me being of Irish lineage); and I left the hottub picture on my profile for all my fans
I was playing with a graphics program for my teacher training certification. Part of the program entails a project and I'm thinking of a particular asana series in the spirit of Brother Bay Guy's IronJohn. Partnering with a fried, the following logo would be used:

(Purple logo.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Purple logo.gif (35KB - 117 downloads)
tourist
Posted 2005-03-27 2:01 PM (#20216 - in reply to #20195)

Expert Yogi

Very nice!
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-27 8:37 PM (#20245 - in reply to #20118)

jeriwho - 2005-03-26 2:09 PM

I apologize for being confusing in what I wrote. I've never been to the Decatur Bikram school, but they have a groovy web page that show each posture and the different benefits associated with each one. I find it very motivational to read before class.

To clear up a little confusion... I'm the one from Decatur, Georgia (perhaps not the only one but at least the one who made a reference to Decatur earlier in this thread). While I do think my web site is kinda groovy (in a plain informational kinda way), it is not the one referenced above. I'm not sure how that came to be associated with Decatur.

In case you don't know... Decatur is a small city immediately adjacent to Atlanta. I live in midtown Atlanta and I know all about the Atlanta area studios if anyone has any questions about them. The five "official" Atlanta area Bikram studios are all listed on this page: http://bikramyoga.org

Cyndi - 2005-03-26 12:13 PM

So, how is the Decatur Bikram Studio?? I've always wanted to try it out but I've been somewhat Chicken.

Please come visit the Decatur studio when you're in town -- I'd love to meet you. One of our mottos is "take it easy." Our mission is,"to provide a safe and supportive environment where people can work on the relationship between mind and body and to facilitate personal growth and the development of self control with the goal of bringing about a sound, healthy body and a clear, peaceful mind." (It's in quotes because I copied and pasted it from our web site.) The emphasis is on creating a safe and supportive environment where people can be themselves.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-27 10:41 PM (#20255 - in reply to #20245)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for the personal invite Ebenjen, I will keep that in mind the next time I'm in the Decatur area. How far from Briarcliff and N.Druid Hills? Believe it or not, I have an apartment there but I hardly ever stay there very long when I come due to demands here in NC. Actually, I'm a native Atlantan. I was born there and lived all over the place. All my family are in Georgia - my parents are from Carrollton and are very native.

So, I like your motto's....but you didn't mention the temperature of the studio...can you be specific about how HOT your studio is kept? Do you practice at a fast or moderate pace? I guess this is going to be one of those find out for myself kinda things huh? Like I said before, I'm such a chicken Thanks again.
jeriwho
Posted 2005-03-28 4:32 AM (#20272 - in reply to #20245)

ebenjen - 2005-03-27 8:37 PM

jeriwho - 2005-03-26 2:09 PM

To clear up a little confusion... I'm the one from Decatur, Georgia (perhaps not the only one but at least the one who made a reference to Decatur earlier in this thread). While I do think my web site is kinda groovy (in a plain informational kinda way), it is not the one referenced above. I'm not sure how that came to be associated with Decatur.

Ooops! Sorry for the confusion. That's what I get for doing Google searches while in a headstand. (HAH! Believe that and I'll tell you more...) I promise, if I am ever in Decatur, I will try to stop by.

Jeri
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-29 2:41 PM (#20446 - in reply to #20255)

Cyndi - 2005-03-27 10:41 PM

Thanks for the personal invite Ebenjen, I will keep that in mind the next time I'm in the Decatur area. How far from Briarcliff and N.Druid Hills?

...snip...

So, I like your motto's....but you didn't mention the temperature of the studio...can you be specific about how HOT your studio is kept? Do you practice at a fast or moderate pace? I guess this is going to be one of those find out for myself kinda things huh? Like I said before, I'm such a chicken

My studio is approximately 2 miles from Briarcliff/N Druid Hills heading towards Decatur -- just past the VA hospital on the left, directly across from Emory University Clairmont Campus.

We strive to keep the temperature as close to 105 as we can and to not let the humidity get much higher than 35-40%. Keeping control of the humidiy is hard but it's even more important than the temperature. The room should be humid enough to promote a good sweat but not so humid that it becomes swamp-like. We use radiant heat panels rather than central heat and it allows us to create zones in the room. For those who like it extra hot the front left corner of the room is a little higher than 105 and for those who are challenged by the heat we've got some cooler areas. We also keep some fans on throughout the class.

I take Bikram at his word that this yoga series is designed for *everybody*. I have many students who are not in great physical shape but who are able to attend regularly. We encourage new students to work slowly, gently and to rest as often as they like. Hell, I even tell the hard core regulars that knowing when to rest is as important as knowing when they can push themselves. I encourage all students to take charge of their own practice and to never let a teacher push them into something they're not comfortable with.

Back to the temperature... in truth, my studio has floor to ceiling windows along one wall and it is hard to control the heat accurately during the summer and winter. In winter it can feel a little cooler than I would prefer and in summer the temperature can sometimes creep up a bit. Another instruction I give is that students try to assess the room condition at the beginning of the class and adjust their practice accordingly. If it's hotter or more humid than usual then I encourage a slower, more gentle practice and if it's not so hot then I may pick up the pace to make it a little more aerobic.

Many people criticise Bikram Yoga for it's "one size fits all" approach but I don't think that aspect has to apply to *how* one practices. I've heard Bikram acknowledge that every body is unique and therefore everybody's practice will be unique, even while performing the same postures. I think it's valuable for all parties to be able to have inexperienced, out-of-shape people practicing in the same room with very fit, athletic people. We all have much to learn from each other.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-03-29 7:50 PM (#20470 - in reply to #20446)

Expert Yogi

Hi Ebenjen,

It sounds like you are making a serious effort to manage the heat,
and I like the idea of different zones. If the studio that I used to go
to had had this, it would've save a lot of friction among those who
wanted more or less.

I certainly agree with you that control of humidity is more important
than temperature once you are in this range, since the body loses its
ability to cool by sweating if the humidity gets too high (the moisture
cannot evaporate fast enough, and evaporation cools you far more
efficiently that dripping).

For me, 105 F would still be too much. But I'm glad that you are thinking
about these issues.
JackieCat
Posted 2005-03-30 8:02 AM (#20525 - in reply to #17430)
Subject: Room Temperature

Extreme Veteran

On his website, Bikram recommends that the temp in the room be 105 with about 60% humidity. (I guess he used to recommend lower levels?) 105 w/60% humidity is &*#$% HOT! Too hot for me, which is why I am bidding Bikram adieu in about 2 months (I just gave notice at the studio where I teach). I literally can't stand the heat anymore so I'm getting out of the kitchen.

In my class yesterday it was around 100 (hovered just below for most of the class then reached 100 at the end) with humidity in the 40s. I had several people say that it wasn't that hot and that they didn't even sweat. The not sweating in a room that temperature I just do not get. I was sweating and all I did was run my mouth for 90 minutes.

Here's a picture of me in the hot room

See how red my eyes get?!
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-30 5:30 PM (#20589 - in reply to #20525)
Subject: RE: Room Temperature

JackieCat - 2005-03-30 8:02 AM

On his website, Bikram recommends that the temp in the room be 105 with about 60% humidity. (I guess he used to recommend lower levels?) 105 w/60% humidity is &*#$% HOT!

...snip...

In my class yesterday it was around 100 (hovered just below for most of the class then reached 100 at the end) with humidity in the 40s. I had several people say that it wasn't that hot and that they didn't even sweat. The not sweating in a room that temperature I just do not get. I was sweating and all I did was run my mouth for 90 minutes.

I've always heard Bikram say 60% humidity but I've done a lot of measuring and comparing and I don't think his studio ever got higher than 40% during my training (that's just a guess). I think 60% is too high but it's somewhat difficult to achieve that kind of humidiy without industrial equipment (unless you're in Key West -- I took a couple classes there not long ago and felt like I was under water). Worse than that is the damage that will be done to paint and other building materials. Special construction techniques must be used for that kind of humidity, in particular the use of vapor and moisture barriers in the floors, walls and ceilings.

I don't get the not sweating thing, either. My wife and I can be standing next to each other and 5 minutes into the class I'm dripping rivers and she barely glistens. In our case it also correlates with our desire for heat... she wants more and I'm prone to wanting less. Having zones makes a *huge* difference for many of my students. Also, the radiant heat panels give off a more comfortable heat than forced air. They heat the walls and floor more than the air so we generally don't experience the kind of stuffy, hard to breath air that can sometimes occur in hot yoga classes.

Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-30 5:42 PM (#20594 - in reply to #20525)
Subject: Why 105 degrees

Expert Yogi

I am so confused. Why does it have to be 105?? In Bikram's published book he says 100 degrees but all the studios are doing 105. That is the main reason I can't go to the studio any time soon - I hate that number!! So, why did they change the rules from the published book?

Jackie, that's funny...me too!! see my red tongue and my red face, LOL!!
tourist
Posted 2005-03-30 7:07 PM (#20600 - in reply to #20589)

Expert Yogi

ebenjen - we are the opposite - my DH loves the heat and sweats like a fountain. I don't like it and don't often get past a ladylike glow Bodies are amazing...
ebenjen
Posted 2005-03-31 7:47 AM (#20674 - in reply to #20600)

Bodies are amazing...

To which I would add... as are their inhabitants!

Edited by ebenjen 2005-03-31 7:48 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-03-31 10:07 AM (#20689 - in reply to #20674)

Expert Yogi

Indeed!
MrD
Posted 2005-03-31 2:14 PM (#20736 - in reply to #20600)

tourist - 2005-03-30 7:07 PM

ebenjen - we are the opposite - my DH loves the heat and sweats like a fountain. I don't like it and don't often get past a ladylike glow Bodies are amazing...

Really, even doing slow yoga like Iyengar. I have an Anusuars teacher that keeps the room at standard room temperature. He puts into poses and makes us hold them. In about 2 minutes I'm wet. Give me a few warriors, chair poses, dolphins and forearm planks and I'm dripping literally. At least the was this instructor does it, his slow style definitely generates internal heat.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-03-31 2:36 PM (#20740 - in reply to #20600)

Expert Yogi

Toursit,

Forgive me for asking, but....does DH stand for *Dumb Husband* or *Dear Husband*??? Inquiring minds would like to know Or does it depend on what mood your in??
tourist
Posted 2005-03-31 8:12 PM (#20785 - in reply to #20740)

Expert Yogi

Absolutely depends on my mood
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-02 9:32 AM (#20945 - in reply to #17430)
Subject: Slept for 11.5 hours last nigh

For two weeks I've been trying to do Bikram five times a week. So for the first week I managed it fine. It just got boring, and I was glad after five straight days to take a two day break. Then this week I went four days in a row, but by the fifth day, Friday, I felt so tired and so very unwilling to practice that I decided I should not. I've already hurt my lower back in Rabbit pose this week, and the fifth lumbar is definitely out, so I decided that I would not go Friday night and would take a gentrler class on Saturday (The class is called "Gentle Yoga".)

So I went home and watched a couple DVDs and went to bed at about 9:00. This morning I woke up a few times as a couple storms rattled through. But when I finally opened my eyes for real, it was 8:45 a.m.! I haven't slept that many hours in a row for years!

I feel terrific. But what's the sleep factor in yoga? Is adjustment to sleep an expected result, or is this me just accommodating to heat and exercise?

Is there any literature available on this? I've read other people who say they sleep LESS now that they do yoga regularly.

Whereas yesterday afternoon I felt pretty low, this morning I feel really good and am looking forward to class. Does anybody havev any matching experience?

Jeri
tourist
Posted 2005-04-02 10:15 AM (#20950 - in reply to #20945)
Subject: RE: Slept for 11.5 hours last

Expert Yogi

Jeri - with the amount of Bikram you are doing I would expect you to need to sleep more. I think the less sleep thing comes after years of practice for most people. We had storms last night, too. Definitely spring weather!
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-02 10:27 AM (#20951 - in reply to #20950)

tourist - 2005-04-02 10:15 AM

Jeri - with the amount of Bikram you are doing I would expect you to need to sleep more. I think the less sleep thing comes after years of practice for most people. We had storms last night, too. Definitely spring weather!

Ooooh...*YEARS* of practice. Okay; maybe I am a bit premature here after just two weeks of 5x/week

But you don't see any harm in five times a week?

Jeri
Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-02 1:12 PM (#20957 - in reply to #20951)

Expert Yogi

Jeri, I did Bikram for 3 months straight - every day. Only a couple of times did I skip a day during that time. Now I practice Bikram 2-3 x's a week, sometimes more if I make the time for it. The first 2 weeks I took a nap right afterwards for about an hour, then I would go chow down on some food. I've been doing Bikram for a year now and don't have too many problems except when I go to the studio, sometimes I mess up my alignment. At home, I can do more or less on my time which is the way I like to practice best. If I want to push harder, I do, but I find that if I'm well rested and balanced, my practice is sooo much better. If I'm tired and not feeling good, I take it easy that day, don't push myself and it turns out good too, but if I push hard on a hard feeling terrible like crap day, then I feel it bigtime. So, the body is different and changes every day...so does the Yoga practice. Some people say Bikram is boring because of the routine...I find that every time I do the series, it is most definitely different every single day or time. I love Bikram, I just don't like 105 degrees and prefer around 100 and NO more. That may change one day, but not today. Sorry about your back in Rabbit Pose. This one is my favorite after Camel - it clears my sinus's out and stretches my lower back. This is another one that you could adjust and just take it easy, then ease back into it.

Oh yea, I sleep less now and have so much more energy. I would never be able to sit here and type on this forum if I didn't do this practice, due to all the responsibilites I have in my life and country living. Not to mention, spring is coming and I'm glad I got the energy to be able to do what I need to get done, Bikram has helped me in so many ways and also, I am so much more organized and structured. It's pretty cool. Hang in there!
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-02 4:35 PM (#20967 - in reply to #17430)

Well, here is my list of amazing physical changes from Bikram Yoga. I started out doing it 2-3 times a week, starting the last week in December.

First two weeks: incredible "hot patch" down the front of my throat, not like a sore throat. More like a surface hotness. It was on the left side of the throat. Lasted two weeks, then slowly disappeared.

Fourth week: Everybody at work gets killer flu, I get very mild case.

Seventh week: Got my period only two weeks after previous cycle, very easy time with it, which made up for being so annoyed at getting it two weeks early.

11th week: Got my period 1 day late and had cramps through the roof.

12th week: Incredible nausea and stomach cramps that lasted for two weeks. Eased by being in Bikram class, but I suspect it was a result of Bikram class. Lasted through the 13th week; now the nausea is intermittent but infrequent.

12th week: Developed acne in the lower right quadrant of my face. One huge crater and a few small speckles.

13th week: slept 11 and a half hours one night , a record for the last decade.

And that's my story---so far
Jeri
tourist
Posted 2005-04-02 7:50 PM (#20984 - in reply to #20967)

Expert Yogi

See, I can't give an opinion on 5 times a week because I couldn't do it once! Maybe you should just keep making your list and see how many positives you get and decide if they balance out the negatives. 2 weeks of nausea is a lot to take if you aren't pregnant
jeriwho
Posted 2005-04-02 9:46 PM (#20988 - in reply to #20984)

The good stuff is that my back is more flexible, and I have been able to slowly start kicking again. That outweighs all the other discomfort.
ebenjen
Posted 2005-04-03 8:23 AM (#20996 - in reply to #17430)

Five times a week for me, six or seven when I can fit it in. I've gotten to the point where I just don't feel normal unless I'm taking a minimum of four classes per week.
miss dee
Posted 2005-04-03 9:17 AM (#20997 - in reply to #17430)

oh yes, same here.
i do as many as possible per week. and i feel great!!!

on good weeks i will do 7-9 (and float through life)
average week, 5-6 classes.
anything less and i miss it.

BTW...Cyndi, how do you manage to create the heat at home?

Dee

Cyndi
Posted 2005-04-03 10:54 AM (#20999 - in reply to #20997)

Expert Yogi

You know what?? I'm getting to the point where I want to go back to 3x's a week too! If I don't do this practice, I feel it bigtime. The reason I don't do as many as I used to is because of the time...I spend so much time outdoors, gardening, beekeeping, homeschooling, hiking in the mountains, etc, etc, I live in the Nantahala which means "land of many uses"...I love having this variety.

Dee, I live in a small mountain home. The guy who built it, put so much insulation on the roof, that the upstairs does not take much to heat. I use space heaters, run them for about 2-3 hours before I practice - it works really good, although my electric bill has quadrupled. I can't wait till summertime. I also fill the bathtub with with hot water. My house is really small so it provides enough humidity. I pretty much made me small yoga studio - I have 2 huge mirrors that provide me with a front and side view. They are 5' x 5', which is plenty for me. It's so comfortable here and I have a nice mountain view and it is so quiet here that you can concentrate. That is what I like about home practice, there aren't many distractions except for Yoda barking at the cats.