How often?
Butterfly
Posted 2005-08-29 10:21 AM (#30544)
Subject: How often?

Hi. I'm starting Yoga today as my phys ed course for college. I have been wanting to start Yoga anyway because I've always been interested in it. Well, now is my chance.

Anyhow, I really have had a problem with weight loss for a while now. I used to be small and extremely flexible. After having 3 children, I am the exact opposite now and would like to get back to my old ways.

My class is a 2 day a week class (1 hour 20 minutes). My question is, is this sufficient for achieving maximum weight loss? Would it help to do it more often than this? Of course, I have to learn the technique, but would like to do it from home as well.

How often do you do it? Daily? couple of times a week? What kind of weight loss have you seen?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Butterfly 2005-08-29 10:22 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-29 5:02 PM (#30556 - in reply to #30544)
Subject: RE: How often?

this is so not going to answer your question, but If I were you try to look at yoga and weight loss as a process rather than a end goal. as you practice, you will find yourself more aware of your body, eating better because if you  eat huge meals you can't practice comfortably, you won't be polishing off bottles of wine on weekends cause you'll fall on your butt in balance poses, you will sleep better and  have less stress  and all these things will help you lose weight. practice as much as you want(as long as you are enjoying it) while being mindful of your body(pain,strain,etc) and what you want will happen.

Oh, and anytime you need help or motivation, come on the forum. these guys are awesome.

Anya

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-29 8:28 PM (#30567 - in reply to #30544)

I second everything that Anya said!

And I'd like to add, it also depends upon which type of yoga you're practicing. Since it is for a college course I'm assuming it's not Bikram. Could be Ashtanga but I doubt it if it is geared toward beginners. These are styles that some people swear by as great weight loss tools.

For me, I have not lost weight from my yoga practice. My body has become more firm and definitely more flexible, my breathing is exponentially improved, and while I could use some work on my stress-coping capabilities, I can't imagine what a basket case I'd be without my yoga! Most importantly, I thank Yoga for helping me to become more accepting of, and even happy with, myself. My body, my mind, my life path, just everything. My weight doesn't even matter to me anymore because I'm healthy, strong, flexible and balanced.

If your primary goal is to lose weight, you might want to consider doing some cardio on the days you are not practicing yoga, and watching your nutritional intake of course. Yoga is not necessarily a means to an end in itself, but makes everything else you do just a little bit better!
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-08-29 9:06 PM (#30576 - in reply to #30544)

What kind of yoga are you doing?
But 2 days of anything that is for your health is not enough.
But if its all you have then its not to bad.
Butterfly
Posted 2005-08-29 9:22 PM (#30578 - in reply to #30544)

Thanks for the info. It has been helpful. I have read a little about yoga over the past couple of months and every bit of information helps so much.

I'm not sure what kind of Yoga we will be doing. If it helps you understand we are using the book - Yoga Journals Yoga Basics: The Essential Beginner's Guide to Yoga for a Lifetime of Health and Fitness by Mara Carrico.

I have been told that weight loss isn't a big thing with Yoga, but I also believe that most of my weight problem (or lack of being able to lose it) is stress related. I'm hoping that I can calm myself down a lot. I know that I do get worked up a lot and am stressed for 90% of my day! Lately I have found myself eating out of stress. If that's the case then hopefully this will help.

I have access to a gym, bikes, weights, etc... I would like to take advantage of that as well, but dont know how much time I will be able to (as I'm a student AND mom).
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-29 9:28 PM (#30579 - in reply to #30544)

Aahhh yes, I have read that book. It's a good primer for the basics. If you are interested in following it further after this class, we will have lots of great suggestions for you!

Right now you are drawn to yoga for the right reasons, and if you find yourself wanting to deal with stress by breathing deeply or doing a nice stretch, you will be happy with your results. The one thing you DON'T want to do right now is to put any additional stress on yourself by a) expecting a specific result or b) getting down on yourself by not doing more. Be happy that you have taken the time you have to explore yoga! It sounds like it is right for you!
Butterfly
Posted 2005-08-30 9:39 PM (#30627 - in reply to #30544)

Thank you. I will do as much reading up on it as I can. I actually have to do some journal entries about yoga and lifestyle as well so I will be after more information.

I have my first REAL class tomorrow. I can't wait!
anya sharvani
Posted 2005-08-30 11:11 PM (#30631 - in reply to #30544)

good luck. let us know how it goes!
PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2005-08-31 11:43 AM (#30667 - in reply to #30544)

I agree with what jeansyoga and anya have said.

So tell us about your first class!

If the stress factor in your life is causing other things, then yes a regular yoga practice will help out, in fact it'll probably help out a lot more than what you're expecting.

But if your end goal is weight loss, I'd consider balancing out your new schedule of yoga classes with some type of cardio exercise too (assuming that it's not being done right now). Indoors with machines is good, outdoors if it's available is also really good. Power walking, jogging, light running etc. If you can add 2 of those per week at 30-45 minutes each that'd go perfectly hand in hand with your yoga practice.

Pablo Domene Lee
http://www.pablodomenelee.com
gilclopez
Posted 2005-08-31 1:23 PM (#30672 - in reply to #30544)

Hi Butterfly,

I'm in my 6th week doing Bikram. I've lost 26 lbs since I've started doing Yoga. I've been going about 6 days a week, 8 classes a week. I've been a vegeterian the past 3 months. I'm not advocating vegeterianism here. I am advocating increasing the amount of veggies you eat (to alkalize), cutting down on meat (red meat/poultry in particular) and dairies. I eat about 5 small meals a day (2 of them being meal replacements). You'll also want to significally reduce any trans fats and refined sugars.

I also do cardio about 3-4 times a week in the morning as soon as a wake up. I then don't eat for 30 minutes after that. I drink about 4-5 liters of water every single day too.

Considering I've lost about 52 lbs since I started on May 3rd, and 26 lbs in the last 6 weeks... I think Yoga is doing wonders for me. Weight loss isn't much of a science. It really comes down to less and more nutritious calories, and more exercise.

The basics of weight loss are very easy to understand. I think everyone understands these. The real trick is to develop a passion for eating healthy and exercise, whether it's yoga or not. Here's how to do it:

Think of a favorite food. Imagine it. Visualize it. Close your eyes and see it, feel it in your hands or in your mouth. What does it taste like? Double the intensity. Double the emotion. Do you hear yourself saying, "Mmmmmmmmm!" How do you feel? I bet you feel pretty good don't you!? Double it again.

I could turn around, and if I were to ask you... "Think about exercise." What's the like for you? Is it a different feeling? If you already don't love exercise, I can bet you a million dollars it is. It's a feeling that's not going to support you.

In essence, I had to train my mind to feel GOOD when I thought about exercise. If I felt GOOD as soon as I thought about exercise and eating healthy, I was COMPELLED to do so. There's many ways to do this. I'll give you one.

Before you even think of eating healthy or exercising, change your state. Take deep breaths and begin to move around. Pop in a favorite tune, just change your state into a great one! Once you're in good mental/emotional state, think about the exercise or the healthy food. When you do, think about it in the same way that made you feel great when you thought of the naughty food. Once you're there.. take action. Eat that healthy food or drive to Yoga class. Keep your state! Stay excited!

As you do your Yoga, keep a smile on your face. Do what you have to do to stay in a great state. DO NOT slump your shoulders, 'act' fatigued... even if you are. If you need to lie down in Savasana, do so. Stay in a great state.

After a while your brain will begin to link pleasure to the new activities. It will then become automatic. When things become automatic, they're habits. Habits shape our destiny. Change your daily routine... change your life.

Before I leave, I want to leave you with another tip that's very important. It's also what I think is the single cause of failure for any goal. You have to take charge of your environment. Do not let it determine the circumstances or events of your life. Be proactive. What I mean specifically is to start by building yourself a support group. This support group MUST include the people in your peer group. Your peer group is anybody who you care what they think or feel about you.

I gained support from my peer group by coming from a place a love. I asked them to please support me in my fitness goals because they were very imporant to me. I let them know I really wanted them to be there for me and to help me out in any way possible. I've learned that there are 2 steps to change. The first step is to convince yourself you can and are going to change 'now'. The second step is to convince those around you that you can and are going to change 'now'.

Weight loss, just like any other goal is a process. Become passionate about the process! The point of goals is not to get the goal, it's to grow as an individual during the process of obtaining it. If we get goals without growing, we tend not to value the accomplishments.

Love and light to you,

Gil
Butterfly
Posted 2005-08-31 11:58 PM (#30719 - in reply to #30544)

Thanks so much for the wonderful information. I am going to try to go to the park or something at least and do some walking/jogging a couple of times a week.

I had my first class today and loved it. I already can feel my hamstrings aching a little. It's been SO long since I have done any stretching or anything. I am actually still somewhat flexible and had no idea. I didnt know how flexible I really was until class today. I can't wait until my next class (which wont be until next Wednesday because of Labor Day). I plan to do some from home though!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-09-01 2:19 PM (#30741 - in reply to #30544)

Gil, your story is so awesome, I do hope you're keeping journals because you really could write a book! You have such a good attitude.

I wanted to add something along those lines. I've always loved yoga, and while I still find many poses incredibly challenging, it has not been a struggle to keep going back to it. Aerobics is quite another story. I tried step aerobics for the first time last month, and it was HARD. It was TOO hard. I was out of breath, exhausted, confused, and extremely frustrated. I wanted to run away and never come back. But, I was trying to motivate another person to stick with it, so I had to set a good example and keep coming back.

Much to my surprise, I now LOVE this class and feel cheated when I can't go! Other aerobics classes that used to seem so challenging now feel like a total breeze, which makes me feel really great about my advancing fitness level. So, this class that I once dreaded has become my chocolate-covered pretzel! I crave it, and I can't wait until the next one! All it took was a little persistence. Who knew!

I hope yoga will become like that for you!

Keep us posted!
tourist
Posted 2005-09-02 12:11 AM (#30786 - in reply to #30741)

Expert Yogi

Jeans - you are SOOOO being transformed before our very eyes. So happy and so into your new jobs and life and it is so great to read your posts. If you can motivate people to like step aerobics you are definitely in the right career now!!
Butterfly
Posted 2005-09-02 10:56 PM (#30886 - in reply to #30544)

I am supposed to keep journals for this class. I think I'm going to start doing it soon. I would especially like to look back and see how it has changed me and my lifestyle.

I am with you jeans on the part about aerobics being too hard. I have done several programs - aerobics, trying to go to the gym and really work hard (I even had a trainer for 25 - 1 1/2 hour sessions). It was so difficult when I didnt have the trainer to motivate me. I really like the Yoga because I dont get out of breath and feel like passing out. So far I really love it and plan to stick to it!
tourist
Posted 2005-09-02 11:39 PM (#30893 - in reply to #30886)

Expert Yogi

Butterfly - I'm with you! Yoga is just my speed, thanks. I'll jump up and down if I win the lottery... Fat chance - I never buy tickets
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-04 8:18 PM (#30981 - in reply to #30886)

Yoga is aerobic. Thats why you can breath. The feeling you get when you want to pass out is an anaerobic feeling.
Kathrynne1
Posted 2005-11-17 1:09 PM (#36794 - in reply to #30544)

Jeans, I noticed you're from Michigan, I am too! Where do you practice yoga? I'm in the SE michigan area and I just go to a sports club/gym and take the free classes. (today's my 3rd one)
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-17 1:13 PM (#36796 - in reply to #30544)

Hi, fellow Michigander! I'm on the mid/west side, so I've taken a few classes in Kalamazoo and some in Battle Creek. Right now I teach in Battle Creek and work full-time so that doesn't leave me a lot of time to seek out other classes (especially with the lovely weather we got this morning!).

Where in the SE side are you? I know there are many studios in Ann Arbor, but I keep hearing great things about Namaste Yoga in Royal Oak. I've longed to try it out, but I never seem to get there for the classes I want to take!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-17 1:18 PM (#36799 - in reply to #30544)

Also many people swear by Jonny Kest's Center for Yoga in Southfield. I took a class there and hated it, but it wasn't w/ Mr. Kest and I assume it was just that specific teacher/crowd that didn't agree with me at the time. I hear many many great things about both the center and Jonny Kest's classes.
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-11-17 10:48 PM (#36820 - in reply to #30544)

Expert Yogi

Butterfly - 2005-08-29 10:21 AM

My class is a 2 day a week class (1 hour 20 minutes). My question is, is this sufficient for achieving maximum weight loss? Would it help to do it more often than this? Of course, I have to learn the technique, but would like to do it from home as well.

How often do you do it? Daily? couple of times a week? What kind of weight loss have you seen?

Thanks for any input.

I do yogasana daily for about 2.5 hours. I lost about 15 pounds when I started and then
slowly regained it...as muscle, rather than whatever it was before.

Orbilia
Posted 2005-11-18 5:03 AM (#36828 - in reply to #30893)

I echo the speed thing with yoga too. I took it up because I'm overweight and getting up in the morning was getting way too difficult/painful. I'm still overweight as I've yet to address my eating issues, however two years on, I'm actually still doing yoga and my body shape has changed (some folk have actually noticed so I know I'm not just being optimistic ). The other aspects of yoga I took it up for as low joint impact, little post-match agony the next day, and interesting enough to stop me from being bored witless! ..... That not a limbo pole, it's my boredom threshold!

Fee
bhanu
Posted 2005-12-02 10:19 PM (#38077 - in reply to #30544)

Hi Butterfly,

I teach people for weight loss in NYC. My experience has been that a very steady asana practice is the key. It doesn't have to be long or difficult however. Many of the benifits come from grounding and reducing stress. I would recommend a short asana practice or meditation/deep relaxation practice another 3x per week. Feel free to email me if you need help.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-02-07 1:12 AM (#43024 - in reply to #30544)

Just thought I'd put my two cents in.....

I think it depends on your health level. When I started yoga, I had been sedantary for a good 10 years and I wasn't all that active to begin with. In combination with cutting bread, potatoes, & sugar from my diet, I lost 30 pounds with the help of yoga. I started with 1-2 classes a week but I quickly became addicted and started going 6 days a week.

I did however reach a plato. Yoga is still a workout, but I have added cardio to my regimin. I bought a bike a couple of weeks ago and try to ride it at least 20 minutes a day. I also tryed a spinning class this week to help me work on getting up the hills in my neighborhood. That almost killed me and made me realize I really need to step it up a notch. Having said that, if I started in the very begining going to yoga 6 days a week and riding a bike every day, I would have quit after a week.

The biking was starting to help, I can finally get back into my "skinny" pants. (Which is a relief since my all my fat pants are going threadbare. I was reaching full on bag lady status.)My plan is to bike to my 6:30am yoga class tomorow. That's how much I actually like riding my bike!