resume examples
zenergy47
Posted 2005-11-28 7:27 PM (#37685)
Subject: resume examples

Hi I am looking to get a job at a yoga studio, i am also in the middle of my yoga certification. does anyone have an example of what there yoga resume looked like when they got started?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-11-29 9:19 AM (#37745 - in reply to #37685)
Subject: RE: resume examples

my yoga resume has these categories:

Qualifications
Yoga Education
Buddhist Education
Education
Workshops
Media/Publications
Employment

I assume yours should have the following:

Qualifications
Yoga Education
Education
Employment/Service

Under qualifications, i put things such as how long i'd practiced yoga and which styles, professional organizations related to yoga to which i belong (YA and IAYT), how long i've been teaching yoga and practicing other forms of body work.

Under Yoga education, i put where i studied, with whom and for how long. i have many, but you can put information about your training program here--including when you're going to complete your training. the buddhist education section is much the same.

under education, i put my traditional western education--where i got my bachlor's degree and my JD.

If you havent' been employed as a yoga teacher yet, i highly recommend that you teach as a volunteer for a bit to support your resume and your process. Connect with friends who may have a rec room or with a church or community center. offer to teach for a minimal fee (like $3 or $5 per class) for a set course of 6 or 8 weeks. offer to run a couple of sessions. just poke around to see what sorts of opportunities are out there for volunteering your time as a yoga teacher. Be mindful of specialized populations--make sure that your education and ability is there to meet their specialized needs.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need help brainstorming. I"ll be happy to help!
zenergy47
Posted 2005-11-29 11:42 AM (#37768 - in reply to #37745)

thank you so much for the response it is very helpful. I have practiced at a few different studios through the years, do you recommend me listing all the studios or just a few? I am sure I will have questions as I begin to prepare my resume thank you so much. Where are you located?

Posted 2005-11-29 11:56 AM (#37770 - in reply to #37685)

i'm outside of philadelphia, pennsylvania.

i think thta it is more important to discuss the style of yoga as opposed to the studio itself. what i mean is, emphasize the style or type ahead of the studio. the studio name will hold less meaning than the style of yoga.

For example, on my yoga education page, i put "Dates Iyengar Yoga Studies, Teacher, Studio, Location" on the next line, "Dates Kripalu Yoga Studios, Teacher, Studio, Location"
zenergy47
Posted 2005-11-29 12:54 PM (#37776 - in reply to #37685)

thank you very much. What about your cover letter, should that be just a synopsis of your resume?
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-29 1:17 PM (#37782 - in reply to #37685)

It depends upon where you are sending it, and what you want to do there. When I first started teaching, my resume had little more than my goals & objectives, experience, and training. The experience section was pretty short! So, at that point, my cover letter usually said something like "I'm just starting out and would be honored to help out at your studio in any way I can" (trying to get odd jobs and whatnot).

After a while, I had some more experience under my belt and had joined several yoga associations, so that went on the resume. And, since I only had limited hours available I would often put that in my cover letter. Then I also got more focused goals, so I reflected that in my letter as well. For example, if I had a great idea for a class at a senior center, I'd outline that in my cover letter and include any relevant materials. If I were just looking to get on the roster at a gym or fitness center, I'd send a very simple cover letter stating "I want to get on your sub list" and explain why I thought I was a good fit for their organization.

The resume is the nuts and bolts of what you can do, and how you learned to do it. The cover letter is your chance to really sell yourself - let them know why you want to work there, what you want to do, and why they can't live without you for one more day!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-29 1:26 PM (#37784 - in reply to #37685)

Just wanted to add after thinking some more . . .

Since you are still training, your cover letter will actually be more important (and probably longer) than your resume. Let this studio know why you can be an asset both during your training and after it is complete. Let them know why you selected them out of all the other places you could work. If you respect them highly and think that working there will enrich you as both a student and teacher, tell them! Let them know what kind of work you're willing to do (answer phones, wipe down mats, clean toilets).

One important thing to know is that teaching yoga has a lot to do with seeking the truth inside yourself. It's not like the business world where you have to pretend that you're in love with a company just because you desperately need a paycheck. Meditate on it and ask yourself "Why DO I want to work there?" and then tell them. Be honest. I find that's how I get the most positive results! And, how I can build the career I want, rather than just seeking work for the sake of work (or just money).
zenergy47
Posted 2005-11-29 11:54 PM (#37822 - in reply to #37685)

thank you for all your input

Posted 2005-11-30 4:14 PM (#37884 - in reply to #37685)

well, the cover letter thing could also be moot.

here we go though. First, i would look at the studios that you want to be involved with. Call them and ask them if they're looking for teachers. If they are, then i would ask whom you could talk to about becoming a teacher there, make an appointment with them, and ask to send them your resume. This way, you're going to meet them.

if they're not looking for teachers, ask if they'd be willing to consider you for their sub list and who would be the one to make that decision. Once you get that name, send that person your resume with a cover letter. in that cover letter, mention that you talked to X person on the phone about becoming a substitute teacher there whenever they would need one. Then, after you send your resume, try to make a time to come and visit the person and get to know them.

If you can't make an appointment, tnen you'll want to go to the studio to meet the teachers there. meet as many as you can, and as you are going there you may meet the person in charge of the hiring of teachers or the sub list. By forming a relationship, you're more likely to get hired.

In my area, studios generally do not hire people whom they do not know or do not come recommended by a teacher whom they know. Thus, it is important to do a lot of face-to-face work. Early on, all of my jobs (in gyms, rec centers, and studios) came from this beat-the-pavement approach. i would meet people, network, and interview as much as i possibly could. Today, i can rely on my reputation (almost 6 years later), but then, i had to literally beat the pavement.

when i think about moving, i know that i'll need to take this approach. So, you can be creative. I have a brochure that i made for myself that does a mission statement, what i offer, has pictures of me. This will help. I have a cover letter that talks about what i do, where i am now in my career in this location, and i mention when i'm going to 'come to town' to visit the studio that i'm writing to. I make a point of getting an appointment with that individual, and if possible i try to set up the opportunity to teach a workshop there (a one-time deal) so that there's not yet a long-term commitment and the individual can 'see what i have to offer' the community.

the main thing is to beat pavement. persistance (without nuisience) will get you everywhere.

Good luck with everything!
zenergy47
Posted 2005-11-30 8:18 PM (#37900 - in reply to #37685)

THANK U SO MUCH!!

Namaste
booga
Posted 2005-12-02 9:48 PM (#38070 - in reply to #37685)
Subject: RE: Froma "hiring" person...

Although your resume and introduction are very important (cover letter, inquiry) I feel that how you relate to students and others would be a significant consideration.
For instance, I really would not want to hire some snotty person who had a smashing resume. I'd be more inclined to hire a very welcoming and nurturing person who had less of a resume.

Also, right now, since you are in your certification process; have you practiced much yoga before the certification process? Different studios?

I would start taking classes at other studios as a drop in; just to see different styles and talk to a different group of people in class.

Also, whatever your "day job" is probably has some excellent skills to apply to teaching.
For instance, with Zoe, her JD would mean to me, that she has a firm understanding of legal issues surrounding business and health.

If I were you, I'd glean from your past and show how it applies to yoga instructing.

I've been self employed for over 15 years, and have done a LOT of hiring - and firing. and turning away.

One thing I am a STICKLER on; and that is presentation. Do not dress too sexy, even if you are Jane-Hottie. Do make sure your people skills are up to par. It may behoove you to take a few Toastmasters courses, as they help with public speaking - which is what one DOES while teaching yoga.

Your first impression to the employer must make them interested enough to continue to listen to you sell yourself - your next step is to convince them that your lack of skill/training/experience is balanced by other skills - and that you have the capacity to be a part of their success.

Good luck!

zenergy47 - 2005-11-28 7:27 PM

Hi I am looking to get a job at a yoga studio, i am also in the middle of my yoga certification. does anyone have an example of what there yoga resume looked like when they got started?
yogi-boy
Posted 2005-12-19 9:04 AM (#39202 - in reply to #37685)

I was lucky as I fell into teaching by means of subbing for four of my teachers in various areas, then upon request by the gyms themselves!

I would recommend you sell yourself to every instructore who teaches in a studio or gym that you attend. I got my best jobs through people who recommended me.

Also, contact the venue, establish who hires instructors and speak to them directly. arrange to drop off your CV in person but don't expect to be interviewed. You create a better impression than simply facing your CV. The majority of the time sthese people don't have time to interview but may require a sub immediately- and they will remember the fresh faced, enthuisiastic yogi who dropped off their CV in person. (YOU!) If they haven't returned your call within a week, follow up with a phone call- offering to teach a class free class as an incentive. If nothing happens call it quits and move on. They may still call you down the line...

NB: Yogis also need to eat! Remember that when discussing your rates. Beginners will get reduced rates to experienced teachers but know what to expect, when and how you get paid. If you dont, you will get screwed! We never want to appear money-hungry as techers but the reality is that after you\ve negotiated a contract without specifying/knowing your rates in advance can lead to resentment. I've waited for almost a year to get paid by some places. You will aslo come accross as more professional when you negotiates this. discuss reasonable rates with other yogis in your area but be prepared to negotiate. If you teach in a gym you may settle for a reduced rate if it meands use of the facilitries during your 'off' time.

Hope this help.

Edited by yogi-boy 2005-12-19 9:19 AM
hdblue
Posted 2011-04-21 3:40 AM (#208190 - in reply to #39202)

New User

yogi-boy - 2005-12-19 9:04 AM

I was lucky as I fell into teaching by means of subbing for four of my teachers in various areas, then upon request by the gyms themselves!

I would recommend you sell yourself to every instructore who teaches in a studio or gym that you attend. I got my best jobs through people who recommended me.

Also, contact the venue, establish who hires instructors and speak to them directly. arrange to drop off your CV in person but don't expect to be interviewed. You create a better impression than simply facing your CV. The majority of the time sthese people don't have time to interview but may require a sub immediately- and they will remember the fresh faced, enthuisiastic yogi who dropped off their CV in person. (YOU!) If they haven't returned your call within a week, follow up with a phone call- offering to teach a class free class as an incentive. If nothing happens call it quits and move on. They may still call you down the line...

NB: Yogis also need to eat! Remember that when discussing your rates. Beginners will get reduced rates to experienced teachers but know what to expect, when and how you get paid. If you dont, you will get screwed! We never want to appear money-hungry as techers but the reality is that after you\ve negotiated a contract without specifying/knowing your rates in advance can lead to resentment. I've waited for almost a year to get paid by some places. You will aslo come accross as more professional when you negotiates this. discuss reasonable rates with other yogis in your area but be prepared to negotiate. If you teach in a gym you may settle for a reduced rate if it meands use of the facilitries during your 'off' time.

Hope this help.

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-15 10:29 AM (#208658 - in reply to #37685)

Regular

Please refer the guidelines mentioned in the blog link given below. I hope it helps you create a good yoga resume.

http://www.sampleresume.co.in/yoga-instructor-resume.html