building bone with bikram
gogirl58
Posted 2006-01-28 8:54 PM (#42237)
Subject: building bone with bikram

Extreme Veteran

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while. It's good to be back.

I was talking to some people at work. They are very into "science" and medical studies.
They claim that Yoga in general does not built bone. I feel that Bikram builds bone, I was not prepared to site any studies.

There are too many types of yoga to make a general statement, but my feeling is that Bikram definitely feels as strenous as aerobic activity that builds bone. I am not sure if strenuousness
is related to bone mass increase, though.

I am not talking about muscle tone, no one in their right mind would dispute that Bikram builds muscle..... here I'm talking about osteoporosis prevention.

peggy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-01-28 10:31 PM (#42251 - in reply to #42237)
Subject: RE: building bone with bikram

Expert Yogi

I've heard that some dispute the entire bone-building wieght bearing thing and claim that fitness works to help prevent bones breaking by keeping you from falling over. Less falling over = less broken bones. Frankly, I'm pretty p*ssed at the medical community at the moment so I don't believe a thing they say....Ask me next week
yogabrian
Posted 2006-01-29 12:55 PM (#42284 - in reply to #42237)

Most types of Yoga will aid in building Bone density. Bone is stimulated through compression on the bone system through weight bearing. Yoga utilizes standing, balancing, supine and inverted positions to create a load on to bone structure.

While other exercises such as running, swimming or biking do a certain level build bone density. Nothing is better at building bone density then a good yoga practice or classic weight lifting.
Nick
Posted 2006-02-02 9:52 AM (#42644 - in reply to #42237)

Hi Gogirl,
All weight-bearing exercise should build up or help to maintain what is called bone mineral density. If you spend your life in bed, then BMD will decrease. If you spend a while in space, your BMD will decrease. If you spend too much time exercsing in water, the same again.
By bearing our weight through our chosen form of exercise, and by resisting the downward pull of gravity, we can keep maintaining the bone structure. it could be argued that yoga does this better than any other form-the effects of exercising in so many positions may lead to a greater diversity in bone mass improvement. The number of postures that we do may mean that areas of the body that might not increase in mass get targeted. it would be a difficult thing to prove, but common sense tells us this is so.
Take care
Nick