how many classes a week?
twisti
Posted 2006-02-04 11:22 AM (#42893)
Subject: how many classes a week?

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered ....

How many classes do you teach a week (including privates)? Anyone teaching 20+ a week? How do you find it?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-02-07 5:12 PM (#43106 - in reply to #42893)
Subject: RE: how many classes a week?

here's my current class schedule:

Monday: 8:30 am; 10:30 am; 12:00 pm; 2:00 pm; 5:15 pm; 7:00 pm
Tuesday: 8:00 am; 9:45 am; 12:00 pm; 5:00 pm; 7:15 pm.
Wednesday: 8:30 am; 10:30 am; 12:00 pm; 7:00 pm
Thursday: 7:15 pm
Friday: 8:00 am; 9:30 am; 12:00 pm; 5:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am; 10:30 am

I teach one to two workshops a week on saturday afternoons for 3 hours. I also teach occassional private lessons beyond those scheduled weekly. I have a standing, monthly Thai Yoga Massage client too--he's on thursdays. I also have a couple of people who jump in on that action occassionally as well. And i have two more private clients pending.

It's a lot of work, but not terrible. Most people get burned out over 15 classes. I find that if most classes are 1 hour long, then teaching 20-25 is do-able. But, i absolutely MUST take vacations that are not yoga related. And, i cannot work for 7 days straight for any longer than 3 weeks.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-07 5:34 PM (#43112 - in reply to #42893)

Extreme Veteran

I teach 15 classes per week and see 2-3 private clients but it's not all yoga. I also teach pilates (mat & reformer), spin, and strength. Right now I am actually only teaching 1 yoga class. But here is my schedule:

Mon: 9:30 Spin; 10:30 Pilates Mat; 6:30PM Pilates Mat; 7:30PM Pilates Reformer
Tues: 8:30 Reformer; 9:30 Reformer; 6:30PM Strength
Wed: 9:30 Spin; 10:30 Yoga; 5:30PM Reformer; 6:30PM Reformer; 7:30 Private (Reformer)
Thurs: 9:30 Reformer; 10:30 Reformer; 4:30PM Private (Personal Training)
Fri: 9:30 Spin; 11:00 Private (Reformer)
Sat: 8:30 Pilates Mat

I also sub classes when I can (this week I'm teaching a 6:15AM Spin, a 4:30PM yoga and a 6PM yoga on Fri. in addition to my regular classes) and I don't necessarily see all 3 of my clients every week. This schedule is currently working pretty well for me. I teach at only 2 locations and all of my evening classes/clients are at a location that is only about 3 miles from my house. And I have back to back classes at the same location. That really helps a lot so I'm not wasting a lot of time and energy schlepping.

But the main thing that enables me to teach as much as I do is that I teach multiple formats. No way could I teach 15 yogas or 15 pilates and I sure as hell couldn't teach 15 spins! I'm teaching more reformer classes because that is where I had the biggest opportunity to pick up classes. They're smaller (limited to 6 people) and cost an additional fee for the members (I teach in a gym setting) so they're not held in the regular aerobics studio.

Posted 2006-02-07 6:02 PM (#43116 - in reply to #42893)

oh, reading jackie's schedule reminded me of something: i don't demonstrate while i teach (continuously). I do demonstrate when absolutely necessary (which is occassionally and specificly throughout class). Most classes, i walk around and give adjustments and individual instruction while calling out postures in the sequence.

So, unlike 15 spin classes, which i think would be impossible, i'm not just doing 20-some-odd yoga classes adding up to hours upon hours of yoga doing-while-i'm-teaching per day. That would turn one into a noodle. One of my teachers used to demonstrate through all of her beginner classes, and she tried to only do those once or twice a day, tops, and advanced classes she would call and adjust without demonstrating. She told me that when she demo-ed and practiced, she didn't have a separate asana practice during the day (her own), but on other days when she didn't demo, she'd do her separate yoga class.

because i rarely/never demo, i have a separate yoga practice. Thanks for your input Jackie, as it does make a difference if you're doing-while-teaching (as in spinning for certain, and sometimes in other modalities like yoga) and if you're just leading-while-teaching as i do.
YogaGuy
Posted 2006-02-07 6:17 PM (#43122 - in reply to #42893)

Right now I have 15 regularly scheduled yoga classes, 2 jiu jitsu classes, a group fitness class and a few privates. I have had weeks where I taught (subbed) over 20 yoga classes. it's difficult. I assume Zoebird teaches all those classes in the same place. I have to go from one studio to another and trek all over the city to teach.

More than 4 classes a day is difficult because you are giving off so much energy and it's draining. Also you have to find time to do your own thing like practice, workout, cook, eat, read, pay bills, do laundry and spend time with loved ones. At some point you have to take into account the theory of diminishing returns. You're getting more money, but losing valuable time that you need for yourself and then you're not able to give enough to your students.

ideally, I would like to have more privates so that I can maximize the amount of money I make per hour. However, I love teaching groups. So more workshops is another way to make more money in the same time. Honestly, I don't know how Zoebird does it. That's a lot of classes!

twisti
Posted 2006-02-07 6:42 PM (#43126 - in reply to #42893)

Thanks so much for the replies guys (and zoebird you're still a machine! LOL) that gives me a great idea as to what is possible.

I have an opportunity coming up, 20 classes over 5 days. People are telling me it might be too much but it will all be in the one (freaken amazing) studio in a wonderful location that I will be living close to. So no running round here and there and no organising on my behalf needed.

Oh and when I get tired, I can just pop next door for a maasage!

I think its a goer ...

Posted 2006-02-07 7:08 PM (#43136 - in reply to #42893)

actually, my radius from home is about 30 minutes, and i things that are scheduled close together tend to be close to each other (within 15 minutes or 20 minutes).

But, here's how my monday looks:

Rise at 6:30 am and do yoga asana and meditation for 1 hour. 7:30 am to 8:15 am--breakfast, wash, chores. 8:15 am, leave for YMCA (first class) which is 5 minutes drive. Prep for class and begin teaching at 8:30. Class ends at 9:30, and then i walk or do some other form of exercise at the Y until 10:15. I drive to my private client (after quick sponge down at Y) who is 5 minutes from the Y. Begin lesson at 10:30 and proceed until 11:30. Next class is 15 minutes drive from private client, beginning at 12:00. I go to the park near this job site and have lunch (packed). I teach from 12:00-1:00 and then make the 20 minute drive to the 2:00 client. I sit in the park near by and read, meditate, go for a walk, or whatever (about 40 minutes). At 3, i'm finished with my client and i have a snack while i head toward the rock gym: 30 minutes away. I get to the rock gym at 3:30 and often climb until 5, when i walk across the parking lot to my 5:15 class. I teach until 6:15, and then drive to my next class--20 minutes away but 5 minutes from home--at 7:00. I often get to this class early, obviously, so we'll often start around 6:45 and finish at 7:45, when i go home. I get home at 7:50, and then change into my PJs and wash my yoga clothes. I have dinner with my husband (usually soup which i made using a crock pot, salad, and bread). I'll then read or meditate or give my husband a thai massage from 9-10, when we also spend time talking to each other. Bed time is 10.

Tuesday is a bit different, of course. I rise at the same time, and breakfast and wash between 7:30 and 7:45. I drive 5 minutes to my private client, and teach him from 8-9. i then drive 30 minutes to the studio where i teach class from 9:45 until 11:15. I arrive at that studio at 9:30 and prepare the room and spend 10 of those 15 minutes in meditation. The last 5 minutes before class are spent checking people in--it seems that no one comes early. When class ends, i see everyone out and do business related to the studio (planning, etc), until 11:30. I then drive 5 minutes to the near-by Quaker meetinghouse where i have lunch (packed) with my husband who works across the street (11:35-12:00). At 12, my clients arrive and i teach class from 12 until 12:45. I spend the last 15 minutes there meditating in the main room of the meeting house. From there, i have the afternoon free, and i generally will do more yoga work--reading, studying, planning, writing, or working on my video as i am now--after i've driven home for 30 minutes or so. before 5, i have a light dinner. At 5, i drive 5 minutes to my client and teach him until 6 (today was cancelled due to illness, thus i'm here writing this post). After this, i usually go to the Y which is 10 minutes from my client, and spend time walking the track or swimming. I wash and then teach at 7:15 until 8:15, and then spend time with my friend/student until 9--often doing yoga, teaching him various alignments and adjustments, giving him new postures to work on, or whatever else. I come home, watch the show Scrubs with my husband, and then we hang out until 10 (we only watch the first scrubs, because bedtime is at ten).

YOu get the idea, right? And this doesn't include work for the rock gym (roughly ten hours a week for my free membership) either. I usually work weekends for them. it's easy work though. and, i get more time to climb. ON saturday, bed time is at 11 so i get up at 7.

I do more driving than i'd like. In the future, i hope to root most of my classes in a central location--notably my house, with a few classes within 10 minutes drive or less. If i were all in one location, it would certainly be easier, particularly if that location was close to home (so that going home would be easier). I once taught the majority of my classes at one location that was 30 minutes from home, so i never wanted to come home and come back later. you see, i would teach Am and then teach PM and have that huge gap. But i wouldn't want to drive 30 minutes home and stay home for two hours to drive 30 minutes back. It wasn't good for me.

Part of the stamina that i have comes from the fact that i do a lot of work to energeticly seal myself and thai yoga massage--among other modalities--actually becomes a method of supercharging my own energy. It's valuable to me. Also, I do take a lot of time off. Sunday, i rarely do anything related to yoga unless i absolutely must--and i rarely must. I absolutely refuse to work on sunday--except this month where we're working on the video. I will not teach or sub a class on sunday. And thursday is 'mostly off' which is great for me. I only have one class, later in the day, and it's only 5 minutes from home. Easy peasy.

I also think it's imperative to have vacations that are not yoga related. My husband and i take two weekend vacations a year. That may be staying at home and taking day hikes in the local part or it may mean going to a camp site (rented cabin for a weekend at a near-by beach-side camp site is $10 total, two nites, in the off season of early spring and late fall, when we go) for the weekend. We also strive to take two, week-long trips of some sort, usually hiking/camping trips with friends. Usually, one of those is with friends, and one we'll stay home and just 'be' and do nothing or do day-trip stuff.

This year, i'm taking 3-4 weeks for scandenavia, 1 weekend to LA, and one weekend to TX. So, it's not as spread out as i'd like. But, it's absolutely imperative to take non-yoga vacations on a regular basis. this helps reduce burn out and makes you feel human.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-07 9:13 PM (#43155 - in reply to #43136)

Honestly, I don't know how Zoebird does it. That's a lot of classes!

I wonder that quite a bit myself.

zoebird - 2006-02-07 7:08 PM

Part of the stamina that i have comes from the fact that i do a lot of work to energeticly seal myself

How do you do that? Closest I've ever seen to something like this is the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentegram. Never really got it to work well for me, but I was also pretty distracted when I was trying it. A bit like trying to raise a tent in a huricane perhaps.

BTW, I also notice that you pack your lunch. Anything interesting, or just the usual sandwiches, etc.

But, it's absolutely imperative to take non-yoga vacations on a regular basis. this helps reduce burn out and makes you feel human.

Last couple of vacations I had, I stopped my practice completely. I originally had intended to keep it up, so as to not lose any momentum, but I found it was better to just let the whole thing drop for a bit.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-07 9:46 PM (#43158 - in reply to #42893)

Extreme Veteran

Zoe has a good point about the doing vs. demonstrating. I am able to comfortably teach as many classes as I do b/c 7 out of 15 are reformer classes in which I occasionally demonstrate an exercise but spend 95% of the time coaching and correcting. I do the exercises/postures with the class in my other classes (spending more time walking aroung/correcting in yoga and mat pilates than in strength or spin. I get off my bike if someone needs something in spin, but I ride hard with the class most of the time.) It's a good balance for me.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-07 10:37 PM (#43167 - in reply to #43158)

Expert Yogi

That's such a lot of time teaching, all of you! My own work is ~24/7, but
a lot it can be done off of the computer or alone and at odd times -- as a result,
I can limit the time I am face-to-face with people to something like M-F
and something like 9-5....more or less, there's a lot of leakage from that box.

For me, what would be hard about teaching yoga is not so much the schedules
you've described as the potential repetition of it. Do you find that you are teaching
the same thing again and again, or can you vary and evolve it enough to keep it
interesting? And do your students stick with it and absorb what you are teaching them?
yogabrian
Posted 2006-02-08 1:55 AM (#43184 - in reply to #42893)

I am currently teaching 22 regular classes and 10 privates a week with the occasional workshop every other month and I work 7 days a week. I think teaching by dialoge and not demonstrating all the time is the only way I can do it.

Here is my average week.

Mon-Fri 7-8 am usually a private at either time
Mon-Fri 9 am Yoga
Mon,Wed, Fri 10:30 usually a private
Wed Fri 2-3 pm privates at both hours
Mon-Fri 4:30, 6 PM Yoga
Mon-Fri 7:15 pm
Sat- Sun 10 am Yoga
Sat-Sun 12 privates
Sun: Kung fu class

The thing that really saps my energy is not the teaching(I really love to teach yoga!), but all the rest of the stuff that goes into owning your own studio. The paperwork, the cleaning, dealing with banks, marketing, (did I say paperwork?)yada-yada. Can really kill your teaching buzz!

I think what keeps me going is my practice. I really value to 1-2 hours in the middle of the day that is mine to study my craft. I think I would go insane if I could not practice.
easternsun
Posted 2006-02-08 2:07 AM (#43185 - in reply to #42893)

I was up over twenty until this month. For me, this is too much. I think if my classes were only an hour long it would have been a lot easier...something I learned for next round! I had trouble keeping up with the paperwork and all the inquries for classes. I cant sell yoga and I think that people want to be talked into it.

I have yet to figure out a bookkeeping system that I like. I like the professional look of computerized bookkeeping but really prefer to do it all manually. How do you all keep your books?
easternsun
Posted 2006-02-08 2:14 AM (#43186 - in reply to #43126)

twisti - 2006-02-08 7:42 AM

I have an opportunity coming up, 20 classes over 5 days. People are telling me it might be too much but it will all be in the one (freaken amazing) studio in a wonderful location that I will be living close to. So no running round here and there and no organising on my behalf needed.

I think its a goer ...

Let me know where you will be in case I need to pop over for a visa run/yoga class

Posted 2006-02-08 4:14 PM (#43260 - in reply to #43155)

Part of the stamina that i have comes from the fact that i do a lot of work to energeticly seal myself

How do you do that?

Well, it's a number of factors. First, i get enough sleep and i consume a lot of nutritional foods. This keeps my body functioning well. Second, I take plenty of time to meditation and other restorative activities. For me, prayer and meditation are deeply restorative activities--restoring my spirit. Sometimes, scriptural study can be that, but sometimes it is also a challenge, so it really depends upon the day. Third, i do a lot of energy work on myself. Through asana practice, pranayama, and even modified thai massage that i can do on myself, i'm able to balance out my energy body. Part of this comes from my philosophy and perspective of energy. Most people see things as positive and negative energy (as in good and bad) rather than in the concept of magnetic polarity. This can affect how they see energy in general, and how they percieve their own energy. Beyond this, i see all energy as inherently beneficial--i'm either giving too much out or blocking my own flow of energy. By doing energy work on myself, i'm able to give out the right/necessary amount and also free myself from energetic blocks. This allows my energy to flow freely. Also related to this, i see energy as constantly flowing through my body/mind/spirit--from earth to sky and from sky to earth. It's not my energy and outter energy, but just energy, and there's always enough for everything that is and everything that needs to be done all of the time. I just have to be present and aware of it. A class cannot take 'too much' energy nor does it ever require more energy than i can provide. When i find a class or individual to be a bit vampiric, i take a step back, evaluate whether or not i'm the right teacher in that circumstance, and then find the appropriate energy to proceed--either to find the person another teacher or to teach the person myself.

I also notice that you pack your lunch. Anything interesting, or just the usual sandwiches, etc.

Breakfast for me is traditionally a smoothie (mixed berries, aloe juice, ice, opt coconut oil, and some sort of nut cream) or an apple or pear, a hard-boiled egg or piece of raw cheese, and some nuts (raw). I pack a snack (which is similar to the second breakfast mentioned or it's veggies and nut-butter). I also pack other pieces of loose fruit. Lunch is typically a salad of some sort--with home made dressing on the side. sometimes, i make a 'wrap.' I have afternoon snacks of fruit or raw veggies (usually at home), and typically dinner is soup, veggies or salad, and bread (sprouted, whole grain) with butter.

I mostly carry around a lot of things that are easy to carry too, just in case it's a particularly 'hungry' day: fruit, nuts and seeds and dried fruit (home-made trail mix), cut veggies, and then my regular lunch stuff. And of course, water. lots and lots of water. I drink a lot of water.

Twice a week, i have lunch 'out' at my friend's restaurant. He makes me a quesadilla. It's a whole wheat tortilla with cheese, fresh chopped peppers and onions, fresh guacamole and sliced avocado. I usually have their home-brew/mix of tea (which is really great) with lime. I may also indulge in corn chips and very mild tomato, black bean salsa. That's iffy. depends upon how hungry i am. It costs $12 per week for these two meals. But, i love my friend, so i go more for the company.

I found it was better to just let the whole thing drop for a bit.

it can be very good. It can often refresh the student for the practice when they come home too.

for teachers, though, there's a tendency to want a yoga vacation because so much of our yoga lives are spent teaching and practicing independently, and taking a class or going on a retreat really is a treat. Also, many of us spend any vacation time that we can spare taking continuing education retreats. These become 'working vacations'--and i know from my own mentality when taking classes with a teacher, that sometimes my mind flips into teacher mode, thinking "hey, this is a great sequence" or 'I really have to remember that so that i can share it with my students" rather than just 'being a student.' While these types of educational experiences are important (and i often recommend to teachers that they strive to take 40 or so hours of continuing education a year), they are an aspect of 'work' or 'career' and like people working as 'professionals' any time spent in continuing ed for that professional is considered time 'at work' whether or not the individual is doing work required for the company. Do you get my meaning? anyway, continuing ed is important. But, vacation is also, and a vacation away from yoga (entirely) can be a great rest that recharges the teacher for work when s/he returns.

Posted 2006-02-08 4:39 PM (#43263 - in reply to #43167)

BG:

You ask a lot of great, and interesting, and important questions. So, i'll try to answer them. *fingers crossed*

you've described as the potential repetition of it. Do you find that you are teaching
interesting?

Because i generally teach all-levels classes, there are many things that i do 'again and again'--but i have a reason for it. I teach a lot of alignment, a lot of vinyasa transitional alignment, and so i focus a great deal on the details of poses. It takes time to gain the requisite strength and balance to learn even some of the most basic poses, and if i have brand-new-beginners in my class, there is a focus on the fundamentals--sometimes heavily modified versions of poses to help balance out the new bodies so that they can get to learning the fundamental postures of the practices that i teach.

Similarly, it can take years to master even the most basic posture. Most students are happy to have repitition--and repitition is important. I make sure that most classes include some of the same postures class to class, though occassionally i'll skip some postures in favor of others depending upon the classes' individual needs. I have some classes that are more advanced/experienced students; i have other classes that are predominently beginners; i have some classes that are in between; and private clients also vary widely.

I find that repitition is important to give the student the necessary openings and muscle balance to move into new postures. We might work our way toward posture X, but because the majority of the class has tightnesses 1, 2, and 3, we're going to work the following 17 modifications of these 5 postures so that we can work toward that one pose--which we'll work in modified versions for a few classes before we begin to open into the newly introduced posture.

Because i work with vinyasa, as well, and i work with a variety of students many of whom may have tightnesses 1, 2, and 3, and others in the same classes may have tightness 2, 3, and 7, and still others having 7, 3, and 1, i find that it is incredibly helpful to move the classes through 'known' postures in different ways, through 'grasped' modifications from different starting points or from different 'known postures' so that they can begin to access certain details of the postures that may not have been gained through straight repitition of the same sequence.

Every one of my classes is different, though, not just in asana, but also in focus for the class on various more esoteric levels. Some classes may be ready for more of an explaination of energy work in postural alignment. Others may have a distinct need for certain spiritual encouragements where i can bring in certain teachings or inspirational readings. Others may have a great desire for energy clearing work through asana and pranayama. So, the focus may change depending upon the class not only in the postures taught, and the sequences given, but also in the more esoteric elements depending upon who is present for the class.

As an example, i taught a level 2 class at the Y last nite. Level 2 students are required to 'test in' by passing my sun salutation and chaturanga test. If they're not basicly adept at these poses, it's level 1 for them. No one complains about this. We work a good number of various sequences, and we're focusing right now on the energy body--the basics of the charka system and energetic movement in individual asanas, vinyasa sequences, and pranayama practices. We also do meditations on the charkas or specific chants for the chakras that we work/ed.

But, yesterday was particularly special. My monday, am Y student (level 1), lost her mother on sunday nite and was unable to come to class on tuesday. Her husband also takes me monday am class and asked if she could come for a 'make up' of the class on tuesday. I told her that the level 1 was taught by another teacher (my apprentice), but that she would be more than welcome to attend. Situation being what it was for her, she and her sister arrived 30 minutes late for the level 1 class, but did the closing sequence with them. My apprentice did not know of her situation, but of course welcomed her into his class.

I taught the level 2 directly after, and i invited them to come into the class after we'd finished the sun salutation portion of the class (the first 10 minutes or so). I gave them the signal to come in, and they took the class. Surprisingly, the class itself began to focus on resting in the spirit--a concept widely practiced by catholics during the adoration of the eucharist (i did not know that they were catholic), and also a practice done by quakers when someone they knew was in specific need. It seemed that the class (that is, individual students in the class), felt the deep need of these two sisters in our class, and were deeply loving toward them, offering encouragement and smiles throughout the class whenever they struggled or faultered in movement, or breath--or even just in a bit of grief creeping out--and i also directed the class toward this sense of moving from deep peace, anticipating the movement of the spirit, and i spent a good deal of time singing various songs to the divine mother, whenever we were in a restorative posture.

After class, everyone felt deeply restored (or so they said), even though the class was challenging from an asana perspective. It was certainly a level 2 class, but not beyond the reach of the sisters, as i gave many modifications and the students around the sisters gave them a great deal of support and encouragement to do things modified, not the least of which was my apprentice himself, who positioned himself near them where he could do the modified poses with them--which he did out of his own generosity. I hadn't known that the songs that came to my heart for these two ladies were what the class itself deeply needed too, and that the women felt quite comforted, as it turned out that one of the songs that i sang, their mother used to sing to them while preparing them for bed. And they, as she passed, sang it to her.

This didn't take any extraordinary work or energy, but simply listening to my own heart and doing what came out from beyond that. People felt deeply moved by the practice as a whole--even though we did warrior I or triangle pose like we always did. One student commented "this class felt like church on christmas eve" and others agreed. I felt gratified that there was peace in the practice, and deeply blessed to have been the conduit for that for so many (as the class had 15 or so people in it).

The two sisters are preparing for the funeral now, and have decided to have their mother's song sung at the service--something they hadn't considered before, but remembering how precious it was to them from that class. They said "we really needed this" and felt embraced by a much larger community.

So, i've never really had the problem of classes 'going stale' or becoming to repetitive--because there is so much to share from even one thing, even if it's just 'Om'-ing over and over. There's just so much depth to that, ways to explore it and practice it, that you can never grow tired, you can only grow lazy i guess. And of course, i'm occassionally lazy--particularly when i'm right before a yoga-free vacation.

And do your students stick with it and absorb what you are teaching them?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. My students are strikingly loyal. I often encourage them to try different teachers, to take workshops with 'big name teachers' who come into town and what not. And they always come back to class with their criticisms and comments and experiences and share with me. I've had many students for as long as i've lived in this area, and they always consider the practice fresh, challenging, and engaging--or so they tell me. New students really stick with it too--it's often weird to me to realize, oh my goodness, she's been my student for 3 years! he's been with me for 4! and so on.

do they absorb what i'm teaching them? this is a hard question to answer. From an asana perspective, i'd say the answer is yes. As we work on alignment, on sequencing theory, largely thruogh repitition, they do begin to get it. For some postures, it comes quickly, and less so for other postures, depending upon where the individual started out on their path--their body awareness, their fitness and health, injuries and so on. For the more esoteric stuff, it often takes more repitition--but most students start to 'feel it' or 'get it' once they've been practicing two or three years, as they have a firm grasp of the language of the physical body, and begin to move into the more subtle realms of the energy body, perhaps finally grasping the bandhas from an energetic standpoint rather than an anatomical one. The anatomical may have been achieved in a few months or a year or so, but then the esoteric will click after that. Usually, i spend a lot of time repeating the basics of both the anatomical descriptions and the energetic, and those in the class who are ready for whichever one will 'get it' and often share when they get it as well.

So, i guess the short answer is "yes."
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-08 5:14 PM (#43272 - in reply to #43260)

zoebird - 2006-02-08 4:14 PM

How do you do that?

Well, it's a number of factors.

I don't think this answered the question. First you mention ways to increase your energy, which is good. Second, you mention ways to deal with conflict, which is also good. Finally you recommend dealing with the energy in the present situation, and doing meditation. This is problematic, since opening yourself up via these approaches also opens you up for attack.

I would also advise you to rethink your current strategy of pulling away from people. Done with a lack of tact, this can be more of an attack. Retreating also not always an option, since you may have to deal with the person or situation again in the future. Anyway, none of this really addresses the issue of "sealing" yourself energetically. If you can't or won't answer this question, I understand.

I also notice that you pack your lunch. Anything interesting, or just the usual sandwiches, etc.

Sounds pretty good. The thing I really notice about your selections is that you're very aware of exactly what you're eating. I think I need to work on this some more. Thanks.

I found it was better to just let the whole thing drop for a bit.

it can be very good. It can often refresh the student for the practice when they come home too.

I was also vacationing with my folks, and didn't want to deal with the funkiness of any conflict or interest they might express in my "weird eastern stuff". Little bit too disruptive of my practice, so I figured not doing it was easier than dealing with whatever they put into the mix.

for teachers, though, there's a tendency to want a yoga vacation because so much of our yoga lives are spent teaching and practicing independently, and taking a class or going on a retreat really is a treat.

Understandably so.

Do you get my meaning? anyway, continuing ed is important. But, vacation is also, and a vacation away from yoga (entirely) can be a great rest that recharges the teacher for work when s/he returns.

Sure, you want to avoid a busman's holiday. This is also the reason why I switch my schedule around, and don't do the traditional six days a week. To easy to get burnt out.

Posted 2006-02-09 9:50 AM (#43328 - in reply to #43272)

This is problematic, since opening yourself up via these approaches also opens you up for attack.

attack from whom or what? i generally don't feel attacked when i do these things, though growth has it's challenges. but, i guess i'm so comfortable with those challenges (and expect them), that i don't consider it problematic or something that should concern me. The same equanimity that i have in meditation can be maintained through the growth process.

also, each of these is a way of 'sealing off' the energy that i have. Or, perhaps it was misstated initally. at a certain level, if you mind where energy is going and coming from, where it's over flowing and blocked, and allow it to flow freely and naturally through the whole system (mind/body/spirit), you'll always have enough to do the job that needs to be done, the work that needs to be done.

I would also advise you to rethink your current strategy of pulling away from people. Done with a lack of tact, this can be more of an attack. Retreating also not always an option, since you may have to deal with the person or situation again in the future.

this can only be done through contemplation. It is obvious to me that while i may come highly recommended or a student may come to me for this or that reason (or through recommendation), that the student 'isn't for me' nor 'i for them.' There's never any animosity when i decide to forgo a job or a client, as i always explain my reasons for it (including energetic/time constraints), and i always provide them with a couple of other options--other teachers to call and consider. I always contact those teachers first, discuss the client's needs, and ask them if they want to work with this person. If they agree, then i pass on their numbers. When i see these students in public or in other venues, i ask about their practice, whether or not they 'clicked' with one of those teachers--and i also follow up with those teachers.

At this stage in the game for me--getting jobs--i can be picky. I have more offers than i can actually fill, and some employers (whether independent clients OR studios, gyms, or wellness centers) want me to give far more than i can or want to. It is appropriate for me to not take any job offered, and it is appropriate for me to weigh which jobs i want and which i don't. Generally speaking, when i decide to forgo a job--say i've already started teaching at the facility--i'll teach there for 4-8 weeks to give it a try, and then give at least two weeks notice and a list of other potential teachers to try instead of me. When i'm working with a private client, i explain why i cannot work with them, and how another teacher may be better. I bring the teachers to the next few lessons (as most people buy a 6-week package from me to begin with), and then they choose which teacher they prefer as i will not be teaching them.

I was also vacationing with my folks, and didn't want to deal with the funkiness of any conflict or interest they might express in my "weird eastern stuff". Little bit too disruptive of my practice, so I figured not doing it was easier than dealing with whatever they put into the mix.

likely so. fortunately, this is not a problem in my family, and often they encourage me (and go with me) to try classes in other locations. I took one yoga class in seattle, for instance. it was a good class, but i shouldn't have taken it. It put me back in 'work mode' and it was so nice--until then and after then--to be completely away from work and work issues.

This is also the reason why I switch my schedule around, and don't do the traditional six days a week. To easy to get burnt out.

yes, it is--no matter what you're doing. I think one has to be mindful of whether or not they're over working or if they are getting 'burnt out'--no matter what the work or activity is. We need times to rest, times to retreat, and perhaps a new schedule or way of doing things. these can be very, very beneficial to us--no matter what we're moving around.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-09 10:40 AM (#43333 - in reply to #43328)

zoebird - 2006-02-09 9:50 AM

This is problematic, since opening yourself up via these approaches also opens you up for attack.

attack from whom or what? i generally don't feel attacked when i do these things, though growth has it's challenges. but, i guess i'm so comfortable with those challenges (and expect them), that i don't consider it problematic or something that should concern me. The same equanimity that i have in meditation can be maintained through the growth process.

Actually I wasn't thinking about during the process, but afterwards. During the process it can get annoying sometimes, between the knocks at the door, and the phone ringing. One of the local teachers got so irritated by it that he sent out a letter to all his friends explaining that they were not to contact him at time X because he would be meditating. I also think this is the reason why a lot of meditators are urged to do it during hours that most people are asleep. While there's a certain quietness that's present when everybody else is asleep, there's also less chance of getting a phone call.

There's also a certain point at which you just become overly sensitive. You become to aware of all the things going on that you really can't deal with. You see all the petty dramas going on internally, and with your folks, and with all the people you know. Maybe this is what you're refering to as growing pains, maybe not. Maybe it's a matter of out psyching myself.

To give an example, my father has a problem with watching TV, particular political shows that just serve to get him fired up. If he didn't watch those shows he wouldn't spend all his time getting po'ed. In other words, his expanded awareness of things going on around him is more harmful than not knowing.

To give another example, it can become very painful to deal with some people once you're aware of the underlying issues they're dealing with. I went to a party a while ago, and was introduced to a "nice" lady. After having spoken with her for about a minute my intuition was telling me that she had some pretty major issues. (I was able to confirm this be speaking with a friend of mine who had gone out with her for a several months) It's hard to see that, and not get sucked into the drama, and pulled down by it.

To give a third example, I usually know what's going on in people's relationships after having spoken with them for a few minutes in person. It's just incredibly obvious from their body language, diction, and things I can't explain. And then what do you do? My friend Matt got divorced a while back, but I knew what was likely to happen after having met his wife for the first time at the wedding..... Ugly ugly ugly.

Anyway, you can see this by the fact that a lot of meditators go through a period where everything is an irritation, up to and including the pressure of air on their skin. St. John of the Cross talks about everything getting burned off as dross by the process, so that all your old stuff just seems completely gross and disgusting. Things that once seemed fine, are exposed in the bright light of a greater purity to be sick and diseased.

While all these changes are going on, we're still in the world, and forced to deal with it. In my case I still have to go to work, and attempt to earn a pay check.

There's also the issue that meditation helps to concentrate attention. Most people need attention at some level, and the better/more attention they can get the better. So by meditation you increase your ability to give people what they want. Once people figure this out, they tend to attempt to pull you into a variety of games, since they know the pay-off will be much better. So in this regard meditation also provokes attacks.

also, each of these is a way of 'sealing off' the energy that i have. Or, perhaps it was misstated initally.

Maybe, I think your answers were very good, but not what I was expecting.

this can only be done through contemplation. It is obvious to me that while i may come highly recommended or a student may come to me for this or that reason (or through recommendation), that the student 'isn't for me' nor 'i for them.' There's never any animosity when i decide to forgo a job or a client, as i always explain my reasons for it (including energetic/time constraints), and i always provide them with a couple of other options--other teachers to call and consider.

As long as you're explaining yourself there shouldn't be a problem, though sometimes even this is a bit surprising for some people. This is where tact comes in.

Going back to the lady I was talking about in the earlier example. I spoke with her briefly at the beginning of the party, and she spent the rest of the night following me around. I was trying to be polite, but avoid her at the same time, and it just wasn't working. OTOH, speaking with her in front of all those people probably would have caused her some embarashment, and been a bit of an overreaction.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-09 10:49 AM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-09 11:24 AM (#43342 - in reply to #43333)

Well h&ll ~ I was going to explore meditation a little more in depth, but if it's going to make me over sensitive, screw that. I'll stick to being blissfully oblivious.

Posted 2006-02-09 11:34 AM (#43344 - in reply to #43333)

During the process it can get annoying sometimes, between the knocks at the door, and the phone ringing.

i spend most of my day alone, without phones ringing or people coming to my door. i have few friends, most of whom work while i'm meditating. I do most of my meditating in the afternoon, away from the phone (i'll actually disconnect it), and if i hear a doorbell or knock (from a delivery person), then i simply embrace it as part of the practice as well, as i would the sound of a crow. Perhaps this comes from thich naht hanh's recommendations.

There's also a certain point at which you just become overly sensitive. You become to aware of all the things going on that you really can't deal with. You see all the petty dramas going on internally, and with your folks, and with all the people you know. Maybe this is what you're refering to as growing pains, maybe not. Maybe it's a matter of out psyching myself.

not necessarily, but it does happen. usually the unguided meditator will become overly sensitive or have other problems. but, it's not necessarily going to happen.

also, i rely very heavily on the concept of the serenity prayer. change what i can; accept what i can't. buddhism focuses a lot on accepting what is, while still engaging and working to better it--coming from a point of equanimity about it. so, it's about personal, psychological boundaries. and, meditation provides mental clarity for this.

St. John of the Cross talks about everything getting burned off as dross by the process, so that all your old stuff just seems completely gross and disgusting. Things that once seemed fine, are exposed in the bright light of a greater purity to be sick and diseased.

i don't know if this is irritating though. what it shows me, when things are brought to light, is where my work lies, and then i set about to make changes. I start with small changes, and i rely on both contemplation and meditation to provide clarity in the changes that i need to make. the meditation and contemplation are part of the purification process. not only do they point out what needs to be changed/done, but they also provide clarity on how to do it effectively.

i also have patience with myself. Much of what i do that isn't good, that is 'sick and diseased'--i don't necessarily know about intitially. That is, i may behave this way or that because of psychological trauma, or social issues, or what have you. when these things become obviously problematic to me, i forgive myself for being ignorant, and set to the work of fixing it. There's no need to fixate or be irritated by the fact that i was or am problematic. Simply, i need to make changes and make ammends for having been problematic once i move on.

It's kinda like catholic confession. We go in and say 'these are the things that i've done wrong, the things that i'm struggling with." and then the priest provides us with prayers and works as pennance so that we can figure out how to 'go forth and sin no more' which is stated at the end of the absolution. The idea is, once we know that something is a sin--or a problem for us--that we work through why, how, and when we do it, and then strive to find new ways to approach things and behave.

Guilt, irritation, all of that isn't necessary. Recognizing that it happens, that it's where i was/were, and that i'm now in the process of changing is enough. For me, this comes out of meditation techniques as well. In some techniques, they say "if you find yoruself daydreaming during meditation, recognize it as a day dream, without judgement, and then let it pass." and/or 'if you find yourself thinking during meditation, acknowledge the thought, and let the thoughts pass through your mind like clouds in the sky." To me, in a sense, recognizing the 'sick' things that i am or do is something that i can do without judgement. I do not judge clouds moving through the sky, nor thoughts moving thruogh my mind in meditation, so why would i so harshly judge myself for being human, errant, and making mistakes? particularly now, when it doesn't serve me to do so, because i have other work to do--that is, the work of moving away form those attachments and behavoirs into more positive ones.

While all these changes are going on, we're still in the world, and forced to deal with it. In my case I still have to go to work, and attempt to earn a pay check.

well, to quote old st paul, 'be in the world, and not of it.' I have to go to work too; i also earn a pay check. I'm not beyond bills or having relationships and recognizing that there's a lot of area in my world where i have personal work to get done. But, these changes are part of this world i live in. They're nto separate at all, they're integrated. This might be why it doesn't cause me a great problem.

When i recognize that something needs to be dealt with, i often recognize that it is something that floods into every area of my life. Not only my personal life/interior life, but also my relationships with friends and family, my work relationships, my client relationships, and perhaps even my perspective of all of these things as well. It may also impact the larger community, and even my international community (such as the issue of the danish cartoons). the changes i make may have more direct impact in one area than another, but it's going to affect all areas--and it's going to do so positively. If i'm improving, then everything else around me improves as well.

For me, meditation is a touchstone for clarity in my life, a place of peace and a place where i can practice the equanimity necessary to move through the world in mindfulness, to do everything from that balanced, peaceful, mindful space. I haven't mastered it by a long shot. but, i feel that it is very helpful to me, so i do it often.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-09 12:52 PM (#43358 - in reply to #43344)

Well h&ll ~ I was going to explore meditation a little more in depth, but if it's going to make me over sensitive, screw that. I'll stick to being blissfully oblivious.

You can do that, I think it depends on how you want to deal with the sh!t. You can either see it coming, and prepare, or get smacked full in the face w/o warning. Ignorance is NOT strength, despite what Orwell would have you believe.

In the case of the girl at the party, I saved myself a world of hurt. Actually she wasn't the only one I had problems with, there were a couple others who I had just an intution about where they were coming from. Unfortunately, it bothers me when all I have is intution, because it's very subjective. It's hard enough being objective, dealing with you own situation is 100x worse. However, I later had confirmation of the things I had intuted.

zoebird - 2006-02-09 11:34 AM

During the process it can get annoying sometimes, between the knocks at the door, and the phone ringing.

i spend most of my day alone, without phones ringing or people coming to my door. i have few friends, most of whom work while i'm meditating. I do most of my meditating in the afternoon, away from the phone (i'll actually disconnect it), and if i hear a doorbell or knock (from a delivery person), then i simply embrace it as part of the practice as well, as i would the sound of a crow. Perhaps this comes from thich naht hanh's recommendations.

I have few problems with it as well, though I do have one friend who was particulary good at calling at the wrong time. I think I'm attempting to point to a more general problem, though maybe dealing directly with the details might be a better approach.

not necessarily, but it does happen. usually the unguided meditator will become overly sensitive or have other problems. but, it's not necessarily going to happen.

Maybe, maybe not. Part of the reason I started going to class and visiting the site was to compare notes. FWIW, I'm not really sure what you mean by unguided. I've yet to speak with anybody who could go beyond the simple exoteric explainations of meditation, for a variety of reasons. Maybe I need to keep looking.

St. John of the Cross talks about everything getting burned off as dross by the process, so that all your old stuff just seems completely gross and disgusting. Things that once seemed fine, are exposed in the bright light of a greater purity to be sick and diseased.

i don't know if this is irritating though. what it shows me, when things are brought to light, is where my work lies, and then i set about to make changes. I start with small changes, and i rely on both contemplation and meditation to provide clarity in the changes that i need to make. the meditation and contemplation are part of the purification process. not only do they point out what needs to be changed/done, but they also provide clarity on how to do it effectively.

Okay, maybe I'm getting into a variety of value traps, where I think I HAVE to do something and I don't. In this case, were I feel trapped, it's harder to deal with the awareness of the problem, than when I don't have this awareness. I think this is part of the reason why so many people are ignorant, it's partially willed because they don't know how to deal with the situation.

Guilt, irritation, all of that isn't necessary. Recognizing that it happens, that it's where i was/were, and that i'm now in the process of changing is enough. For me, this comes out of meditation techniques as well. In some techniques, they say "if you find yoruself daydreaming during meditation, recognize it as a day dream, without judgement, and then let it pass." and/or 'if you find yourself thinking during meditation, acknowledge the thought, and let the thoughts pass through your mind like clouds in the sky." To me, in a sense, recognizing the 'sick' things that i am or do is something that i can do without judgement. I do not judge clouds moving through the sky, nor thoughts moving thruogh my mind in meditation, so why would i so harshly judge myself for being human, errant, and making mistakes? particularly now, when it doesn't serve me to do so, because i have other work to do--that is, the work of moving away form those attachments and behavoirs into more positive ones.

Agreed, this is something I've gotten out of it too.

For me, meditation is a touchstone for clarity in my life, a place of peace and a place where i can practice the equanimity necessary to move through the world in mindfulness, to do everything from that balanced, peaceful, mindful space. I haven't mastered it by a long shot. but, i feel that it is very helpful to me, so i do it often.

I agree, particular about the helpful part, please don't feel I'm saying that meditation is bad. I've got a personal practice that I feel is strong, or at least consistent , but what I'm dealing with here are the pitfalls.

I've heard WAY too many new-age gurus give a lot of airy-fairy advice, without really dealing with the drawbacks and problems also associated with it. This might be because they haven't progressed much beyond the beginner stage, or maybe they're regugitating all the things they've heard. Maybe they just want to encourage people to do it, and don't want to discourage them before they get started (hi Kabu!). It doesn't sell that many books to tell people that meditation is hard, or going to cause problems, or make some things worse. Maybe I'm more willing to talk about the darkness because I don't have to sell any books, or I'm just more comfortable being negative. As an engineer, my first question is "What is this going to cost me?", "What are the trade-offs"

Posted 2006-02-09 1:24 PM (#43364 - in reply to #43358)

I think I'm attempting to point to a more general problem, though maybe dealing directly with the details might be a better approach.

i don't know what the 'general problem' you're refering to is.

Maybe, maybe not. Part of the reason I started going to class and visiting the site was to compare notes. FWIW, I'm not really sure what you mean by unguided. I've yet to speak with anybody who could go beyond the simple exoteric explainations of meditation, for a variety of reasons. Maybe I need to keep looking.

without an experienced teacher. i don't necessarily mean guided through the meditation, but with a person who has more experience with meditation that you do, who understands what comes up and when and how and why, and can help guide the student toward healthy behavoirs in regards to what comes up.

I think this is part of the reason why so many people are ignorant, it's partially willed because they don't know how to deal with the situation.

i agree that people often choose to be willfully ignorant of any number of situations. i do it too--avoiding certain information as long as i can. It can be difficult to have the faith to recognize that you don't necessarily have to know how to deal with something, but that knowing about it--for now--is enough, and then as you begin to understand it, come to terms with it, the path will be obvious from there. But, it certainly takes an element of faith--faith in your own ability to survive whatever is coming.

that meditation is hard, or going to cause problems, or make some things worse. Maybe I'm more willing to talk about the darkness because I don't have to sell any books, or I'm just more comfortable being negative. As an engineer, my first question is "What is this going to cost me?", "What are the trade-offs"

i see it in this way. meditation won't make things worse, but it isn't an easy fix or an easy path. it certainly has difficulties and i admit that. All growth has difficulties, and one's perspective on this process has a great bearing on whether or not this is 'getting worse' or actually 'getting better.'

i like to use examples from the physical, because it makes sense. as a kid, my father broke his nose many times playing football, and he would always straighten it out with his hands, put tape over it, and head back into the game. years later, he had bone spurs, growths, and polyps in his nose, making it difficult to breath and bringing about incredible snoring that kept both he and my mother awake at nite. his ear, nose, and throat doctor recommended surgery to fix his nose (having noticed the many breaks) and removing the spurs, growths, and polyps.

My father went in for surgery and they removed whatever they could and BROKE his nose. They had to break it to reset it properly, to make sure it would heal well. Sometimes, things have to get 'worse' before they get better. But once he recovered from the process--which didn't take terribly long--he was able to breathe better and has no real problems, and his nose looks good. So, it works out, right?

This, to me, is a great example of injury. Say we have a psychic or psychological injury. As a child, i suffered a trauma. As a result of that trauma, i started behaving in these particular, negative (or less productive or less healthy) behavoiral patterns. Over many years, i prepetuated these patterns causing a recurrent problem. I couldn't figure out 'why this keeps happening to me.' So, i go to the psychologist and she helps me uncover the childhood trauma and my response to it--the pattern of relating that kept causing, or caused in part, the recurrent problem. I have to face this original problem and heal it properly, learning to understand what happened, embrace it in a sense, work through it, and learn new patterns of behavoir. All of this is hard work, and things seem to get much WORSE before they get much better.

But, i don't necessarily see it as 'worse' so much as 'what is necessary' and 'par for the course' and a natural part of this process of growth. A lot of it IS undoing what we have done in the past--whether it was breaking a nose and resetting it ourselves or putting a certain behavoiral pattern in place in response to the trauma. Things do get more difficult, more challenging, but the end result--if you keep moving through the process--is the peace of understanding and having a better situation than where you started.

It certainly takes a certain level of faith, when the going gets tough--like when the nose is rebroken in surgery or the psychologist uncovers the trauma that was long-burried--you can survive that and it will give you a better situation once you've come through it.

So to me, this is a natural part of meditation. I expect it. You meditate, things are going to be uncovered. Those things are not necessarily going to be pleasant. But, you'll work through them and be better on the other end. And, it's not impossible to work through, nor is it necessary "bad" or "terrible" ro even a "dark side." it's just part of the healing process. Sometimes, to reset a bone properly, you have to break it again and go through the healing process. To clear and infection, you often have to lance the boil and then use an ointment. To heal from a psychological/behavoiral problem, you have to go back to the trauma, understand it, heal from it, and make different behavoiral decisions.

it just is what it is.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-09 2:38 PM (#43369 - in reply to #43364)

zoebird - 2006-02-09 1:24 PM

I think I'm attempting to point to a more general problem, though maybe dealing directly with the details might be a better approach.

i don't know what the 'general problem' you're refering to is.

And I don't know how to communicate it. Let me think about it some.

i see it in this way. meditation won't make things worse, but it isn't an easy fix or an easy path. it certainly has difficulties and i admit that. All growth has difficulties, and one's perspective on this process has a great bearing on whether or not this is 'getting worse' or actually 'getting better.'

Okay, I'll agree with you on this. You do know what I mean when I talk about the airy-fairy nonsense right?

This, to me, is a great example of injury. Say we have a psychic or psychological injury. As a child, i suffered a trauma. As a result of that trauma, i started behaving in these particular, negative (or less productive or less healthy) behavoiral patterns. Over many years, i prepetuated these patterns causing a recurrent problem. I couldn't figure out 'why this keeps happening to me.' So, i go to the psychologist and she helps me uncover the childhood trauma and my response to it--the pattern of relating that kept causing, or caused in part, the recurrent problem. I have to face this original problem and heal it properly, learning to understand what happened, embrace it in a sense, work through it, and learn new patterns of behavoir. All of this is hard work, and things seem to get much WORSE before they get much better.

Which might be what I need to do, is find a decent psychologist.

Posted 2006-02-09 4:19 PM (#43375 - in reply to #43369)

You do know what I mean when I talk about the airy-fairy nonsense right?

yes.

Which might be what I need to do, is find a decent psychologist.

i highly value my time spent in councelling (two years in college) and wouldn't hesitate to return if i felt overwhelmed with a particular issue and had very little skill to help resolve it. I highly recommend it for most people, as it teaches very valuable skills and provides a safe environment for exploring various aspects of our emotional and behavoiral lives.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-09 7:24 PM (#43388 - in reply to #43358)

GreenJello -
You can do that, I think it depends on how you want to deal with the sh!t. You can either see it coming, and prepare, or get smacked full in the face w/o warning. Ignorance is NOT strength, despite what Orwell would have you believe.

Can't there be a happy medium though? Maybe a place where you can be comfortable and open with people but still spot "crazy" (or "difficult" or whatever adjective you want to give a person) soon enough to avoid it.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-09 10:15 PM (#43405 - in reply to #43263)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2006-02-08 4:39 PM

BG:

You ask a lot of great, and interesting, and important questions. So, i'll try to answer them. *fingers crossed*

interesting?

Because i generally teach all-levels classes, there are many things that i do 'again and again'--but i have a reason for it. I teach a lot of alignment, a lot of vinyasa transitional alignment, and so i focus a great deal on the details of poses. It takes time to gain the requisite strength and balance to learn even some of the most basic poses, and if i have brand-new-beginners in my class, there is a focus on the fundamentals--sometimes heavily modified versions of poses to help balance out the new bodies so that they can get to learning the fundamental postures of the practices that i teach.

Similarly, it can take years to master even the most basic posture. Most students are happy to have repitition--and repitition is important. I make sure that most classes include some of the same postures class to class, though occassionally i'll skip some postures in favor of others depending upon the classes' individual needs. I have some classes that are more advanced/experienced students; i have other classes that are predominently beginners; i have some classes that are in between; and private clients also vary widely.

And do your students stick with it and absorb what you are teaching them?

do they absorb what i'm teaching them? this is a hard question to answer. From an asana perspective, i'd say the answer is yes. As we work on alignment, on sequencing theory, largely thruogh repitition, they do begin to get it. For some postures, it comes quickly, and less so for other postures, depending upon where the individual started out on their path--their body awareness, their fitness and health, injuries and so on. For the more esoteric stuff, it often takes more repitition--but most students start to 'feel it' or 'get it' once they've been practicing two or three years, as they have a firm grasp of the language of the physical body, and begin to move into the more subtle realms of the energy body, perhaps finally grasping the bandhas from an energetic standpoint rather than an anatomical one. The anatomical may have been achieved in a few months or a year or so, but then the esoteric will click after that. Usually, i spend a lot of time repeating the basics of both the anatomical descriptions and the energetic, and those in the class who are ready for whichever one will 'get it' and often share when they get it as well.

So, i guess the short answer is "yes."

Thanks, Zoe --- I do think that the "short answer" is okay!!

I have seen a number of folks in yoga classes who come for a while, and then
drift away, or show once every two months starting from scratch. It's only in my Iyengar
classes that I've seen people who have a focused, regular, and long-term commitment.
Which, of course, makes me wonder about how things are working elsewhere.

....bg
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-09 10:38 PM (#43407 - in reply to #43388)

Kabu - 2006-02-09 7:24 PM

GreenJello -

Can't there be a happy medium though? Maybe a place where you can be comfortable and open with people but still spot "crazy" (or "difficult" or whatever adjective you want to give a person) soon enough to avoid it.

Welll.... maybe. I think I'm starting to get there more and more recently, though it's still hard. The meditation and yoga has help enormously, so maybe it's partially like ZB said, lack of somebody to talk to at the time.

Anyway, part of the problem is just the rawness of it, and part of it was the situations in which I found myself. I went through a very very rough patch about 3 years ago, that went on for about 3-4 years. During that time I was (or felt) stuck in the situations, and couldn't leave, while being very aware of what was going on. I had also just left my teacher of a number of years, so it was a bit like when Luke leaves yoda in Empire to save his friends. His training is half completed, and he's going up against Darth Vader. OTOH, you do have to leave your teacher at some point, and I've yet to met anybody who's even close to being on the same level as him. I'd also learned most of what he had to teach, so I wasn't a complete rookie.

Anyway, the situation was so ugly, I just couldn't deal with it after 3 years. I actually remember the point that I quit. I had just gotten up in the morning, and I was reading a book on Zen before going into work. It was very inspirational, which was putting me in a very meditative mood, when the phone rang. Turns out it was my boss, who just wanted to know if I was coming into the office. WTF? I wasn't late, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary happening, she just called to see if I was coming in. Completely ruined my mood, and there was no real rational explaination for it. I also think it's probably the only time she ever called my apartment in the entire time I worked there.

I don't think it was intentional, or concious, just something that seems to happen when you start along the path. Things rise up to stop you for whatever reason. People get in your way, and act as roadblocks. Maybe it's karma, maybe I was doing something wrong. If it's the latter, I'd like to avoid doing it again. Anyway, this sort of thing always happening to me in Cali, which is that reason I'm glad I left. Silicon Valley's was a very unpleasant place for me to live. (Sorry Bay Guy)

At the point I decided I was going to quit, and not get started until I was in a much better position to defend myself. Fast forward to the present, and I'm back in cincy, and I've got about the lowest pressure job imaginable. Cincy's nice because most people don't know what's going on, and they'll leave you alone for the most part. I've got a 9-5 job, and it never interfers with my yoga, which is wonderful. Never thought I'd find a job like this, and frankly I wouldn't have taken it if I had had another offer. (I had gotten completely the wrong idea from the job interview.) So fate was kind to me.

Back to the meditation. It felt to me like it was partially the cure, and partially the disease. By meditating I was able to help calm myself down, and deal with a lot of the stress that I was under. By the same token it also seemed to cause people to come at me. When I was working at the dot com that moment that I showed the slightest sign of happiness, it appeared like people would sense it, and I'd get mobbed. When I was in a bad mood people left me alone. So it was a bit of a negative feedback loop, and everybody was always stressed out. I'm guess that by giving me a hard time they were able to deal with some of the stress they were under. Unfortunately it just left me with more stress.

To some extent it like robbing rich people. There no reason is messing with an unhappy, stressed out, person they don't have anything you want. It's much better to mess with a calm, happy person, they've got something worth having. I just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time for whatever reason.

Sorry about the book, I just had to get it off my chest.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-10 9:43 AM (#43418 - in reply to #43407)

Actually, I'm glad you wrote all that. I found myself wondering about this thread yesterday on and off.

How long have you been in this new job? Do you feel like there is (or was) a certain amount of time that has to pass before you mentally "decompress" from all the crap you went through? I mean, you can't take that kind constant pressure for such an extended period of time and have it instantly disappear the minute you leave the situation. Meditation and Yoga may be speeding along the process, but it may still take time to "wear off" so to speak.

My husband has been been dealing with various degrees of turmoil for several years, which is why he's getting out too. But it's going to follow him for a bit unfortunately, not just mentally but physically as well (legal issues Nothing like saving someone's life and getting sued for it. ). So it'll be nipping at his heals for some time.

I love the idea of counseling! I saw a guy last summer for a few months and really liked the whole process. Gotta click with the counselor though (mine was a big, friendly Irish dude got to a point where I think I was just going for the laughs).

Anyway, I'm happy you escaped the Valley!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-10 10:17 AM (#43424 - in reply to #43418)

Kabu - 2006-02-10 9:43 AM

Actually, I'm glad you wrote all that. I found myself wondering about this thread yesterday on and off.

Thanks, I was wondering. I certainly don't want to lay my sh!t on anybody else, but sometimes you need to talk about this sort of thing.

How long have you been in this new job? Do you feel like there is (or was) a certain amount of time that has to pass before you mentally "decompress" from all the crap you went through?

Well, let me answer that question a little differently. First, I left the Valley in '01. This was after a period of being laid-off and looking for work, at first that wasn't so bad, but after 5-6 months I started to get a little terrified. (I had plenty of money, so that wasn't the issue). Anyway, got a contract position in Rockford, Il, which went on for several months, and then I moved back to Cincy to get a Master's. This took me about 3 years, but about 2 years in I started to run out of money, and had completed most of the thesis, so I got my current job. I've been here about a year and a half, and it's been great. So I've been decompressing from all that nonsense pretty much since I left the valley.

In those periods I also spent a LOT of time by myself, which is very helpful. Most people have their own problems, which they're more than willing to lay on you. So, I had a period after being laid off of doing nothing for about 5-6 months, and then another period after the position in Rockford of about 5-6 months before grad school. During grad school I had to take some classes, but I also had tons of time alone in my apartment working on my thesis. I'm not sure what anybody else's experience with grad work is, but mine was a piece of cake compared to undergrad, so I mainly coasted through it.

Anyway, I didn't have the heart or strength to get started again with meditation and yoga until I got back to cincy, and had gotten establish. Both of them require a certain amount of energy to begin with, since it's a bit like priming a pump, IMHO. But when the time was right things fell into place, and I got started again.

A time line would be something like, 1-2 years out of the valley I started to feel normal, then started on yoga, I've done that for 2 years, and I'm about at the place I was when I left cincy. (Which was pretty far along, IMHO). So maybe 3-4 years to recover from 3-4 bad years? Regardless, it's not like a sudden switch from torn up to alright. The day I got laid-off at the dot-bomb was probably one of the happiest of my life, and things have been steadily improving ever since. I also still have some issues from it, which I'm beginning to get a handle on.

My husband has been been dealing with various degrees of turmoil for several years, which is why he's getting out too. But it's going to follow him for a bit unfortunately, not just mentally but physically as well (legal issues Nothing like saving someone's life and getting sued for it. ). So it'll be nipping at his heals for some time.

Probably. It's not a quick process, it's not unlike a physical problem, except it's a lot harder to see, figure out, and nobody really understands it. When you have an operation, you've got scars, when you deal with constant stress and other psychological BS most people can't tell. (I can tell, most people here probably can, but not most unaware people.)

I think yoga and mediation both help with these sorts of situations because it provides a stable form of stress and nastiness reduction. Just having faith that yoga is going to fix things resolves a lot of anxiety over dealing with the issues. If your husband is interested, I'd strongly advise some yoga.

I love the idea of counseling! I saw a guy last summer for a few months and really liked the whole process. Gotta click with the counselor though (mine was a big, friendly Irish dude got to a point where I think I was just going for the laughs).

I agree on clicking with a counselor, it's just not going to work otherwise.

Anyway, I'm happy you escaped the Valley!

Me too! It's really unfortunate, I think the Valley used to be a very cool place, and all the greedy people have moved in recently and made a mess of the place. My uncle used to live there, ever since 89, and he finally said to heck with it about a year ago, and moved to New Hampshire, which he loves.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-10 11:06 AM (#43430 - in reply to #43424)

If your husband is interested, I'd strongly advise some yoga.

Oy, I wish. He won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

He's struggling on all kinds of levels: physically, mentally, spiritually. I know this transition won't happen overnight, but I'm really looking forward to starting the process. I believe better things for him lay ahead.

If he were to try a few classes at our studio, I'd have to bow out. He knows exactly what will crack me up and cannot resist doing so. I can't even get through a practice at home if he's in the room.

Still...I'd happily move aside to make space for him. *sigh* Seeing you make a similar transition gives me great hope!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-10 11:28 AM (#43434 - in reply to #43430)

Kabu - 2006-02-10 11:06 AM

If your husband is interested, I'd strongly advise some yoga.

Oy, I wish. He won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Lot of guys are like that because they don't know any better. Personally I get my kicks from doing things I'm not supposed to, so a yoga class is perfect. You might try showing him some pics of some cut male yogis. Dave Swenson comes to mind.

He's struggling on all kinds of levels: physically, mentally, spiritually. I know this transition won't happen overnight, but I'm really looking forward to starting the process. I believe better things for him lay ahead.

If he's still struggling then maybe the best thing is just to concentrate on getting out of the current situation. Learning something new can just add to your stress levels in some cases. While yoga and meditation help, you do need to be at a certain level to recieve the benifts. Otherwise it can just make a bad situation worse. Not only are you struggling with the current situation, but also with the problems and difficulties that can crop up with meditation and yoga.

If he were to try a few classes at our studio, I'd have to bow out. He knows exactly what will crack me up and cannot resist doing so. I can't even get through a practice at home if he's in the room.

Nothing wrong with a little laughter in the studio. Sometimes I think the local yogis are a little too grim about the whole thing. It's just yoga, you can't screw it up. If you can, there isn't any hope, so we might as well stay home and watch TV with the rest of the zombies.

Still...I'd happily move aside to make space for him. *sigh* Seeing you make a similar transition gives me great hope!

Thanks! It's possible, things will get better, though it's hard to see it at the time.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-11 7:30 AM (#43479 - in reply to #42893)

Extreme Veteran

To get back to the topic at hand . . . does anyone else teach lots of classes per week? If so, what's your schedule and how do you do it?
twisti
Posted 2006-02-11 12:28 PM (#43495 - in reply to #43479)

JackieCat - 2006-02-11 7:30 AM

To get back to the topic at hand . . . does anyone else teach lots of classes per week? If so, what's your schedule and how do you do it?

Hee hee ....

I only teach 5 at the moment and 1-2 privates. I also work as a club trainer at the gym so that is where the rest if my time goes.

I was teaching up to 16 last year, but I was running all over town to 6 different locations, that is what wore me out, the running around. I was also teaching a few classes at a few places I really just didn't resonate with, with students who needed a lot of energy (you know, the types that just sit there and stare like energtic vampires!?) I was also just starting with a lot of these classes and was needing to do most of the poses which was tiring too.

Since then I have left the classes I was not getting anything (other than money) back from and only teach at places that help me create the energy. I have also got many regular students who know my style so I can spend at least half of the class walking around and giving adjustments as I talk then through the poses.

Things are changing soon though and I will be going back to about 18 classes a week (mainly advanced) yet they will all be in the one studio which I will be living close to so I think that is going to make a world of difference!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-11 1:19 PM (#43499 - in reply to #43479)

twisti - 2006-02-11 12:29 PM
I was also teaching a few classes at a few places I really just didn't resonate with, with students who needed a lot of energy (you know, the types that just sit there and stare like energtic vampires!?) I was also just starting with a lot of these classes and was needing to do most of the poses which was tiring too.

Interesting situation isn't it. I've been in classes where everybody just wanted to sit around and be quiet. I often find myself speaking up and being obnoxious in those sorts of situations just to disrupt the oppressive silence. Some times this is a good thing, since it prevents the situation you're talking about, sometimes it's a bad thing, since it's disruptive.

I've been attempting to figure out which is which, but it can be hard since it's so subtle. I've yet to have any teachers say anything about it, but some give you a very strong shunning sort of thing. OTOH, I've also had those same teachers say in later classes that they were surprised at how quiet the "less shy members of the class were being" (meaning me I think), so it's a hard hard thing to say.

After all those quiet people might be afraid to say of do something "bad" or miss an instruction from the teacher. Or they might be worn out from a hard day at the office, and not wanting to say or do too much.

One of my friends is married to a woman who acts like this sometimes. We play a lot of board games, and when I'm explaining the rules of a new game to her, she's deadly silent, and looks right through you. It's a bit disconcerting, and really threw me off at first. However, once we started playing I figured out that she was really paying a lot of attention, and was really keen on learning the rules.

People are strange, it's hard to say what anything really means.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-11 4:00 PM (#43501 - in reply to #43499)

Expert Yogi

I teach 6 classes most weeks and with a 9 - 3 day job with toddlers, that is plenty. Iyengar teachers are required to demonstrate and adjust so there is no slacking off there.
yogabrian
Posted 2006-02-11 6:21 PM (#43508 - in reply to #42893)

am currently teaching 22 regular classes and 15(update from last post) privates a week with the occasional workshop every other month and I work 7 days a week. I think teaching by dialoge and not demonstrating all the time is the only way I can do it.

Here is my average week.

Mon-Fri 7-8 am usually a private at either time
Mon-Fri 9 am Yoga
Mon,Wed, Fri 10:30 usually a private
Wed Fri 2-3 pm privates at both hours
Mon-Fri 4:30, 6 PM Yoga
Mon-Fri 7:15 pm
Sat- Sun 10 am Yoga
Sat-Sun 12 privates
Sun: Kung fu class

The thing that really saps my energy is not the teaching(I really love to teach yoga!), but all the rest of the stuff that goes into owning your own studio. The paperwork, the cleaning, dealing with banks, marketing, (did I say paperwork?)yada-yada. Can really kill your teaching buzz!

I think what keeps me going is my practice. I really value to 1-2 hours in the middle of the day that is mine to study my craft. I think I would go insane if I could not practice.

skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-11 11:36 PM (#43523 - in reply to #42893)

I teach 13 classes (14 hours) a week, all of them yoga or pilates and one regular private. And I need about 4 more classes to feel somewhat financially stable. Of course a few privates would balance that out, but they seem to be harder for me to come by. I'll take any suggestions on getting privates. Back to the topic...

My schedule:
Monday - Yoga 5-6, plus I take an advanced asana class from my teacher from 7:30-9
Tuesday - Pilates 9:15-10:15 am; Yoga 11:15-12:10; Pilates 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Wednesday - Private 7-8 am; Pilates 7-8 pm;
Thursday - Yoga 11:15-12:10; Yoga 5:30-6:30; Yoga 7:30-9:30
Friday - Yoga 9:30-11 a.m.; Yoga 12-1 p.m.; Yoga 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Saturday Yoga 8:30-10 a.m. and Pilates 10:30-11:30 a.m.

No classes one Sunday. I used to occassionally pick up a sub class on sudnay, but the gym chain where I do most of my teaching won't let you teach 7 days in a row. I used to be able to do it because I taught at a different gym on Saturday, but now that I teach for them on Saturday, I can't.

I have to say, the 7 days did tend to wear me down, so that might be a good thing. I think I could do 20 classes, but I did have to build up to 13 physically. I can't imagine picking up 15 or 20 classes at once.

I teach a lot of repitition and basically the same standing portion all week, but vary to sitting portion. I will change the class a littler or completely depending to who shows up and the energy in the room.

I learned early on about arranging my schedule the hard way. I live in sprawling Houston and I was driving all over town teaching for the woman who trained me. I actually lost money on some of those classes, when you consider mileage and I was exhausted from the driving. It was hard to do, but I had to give those up and start over, building classes almost from scratch.

Now I limit the drive to 15 miles (15-30 minutes) and I'm starting to attempt to put things together so when I leave my house I do 2-3 classes not just one and drive home. Otherwise I'm not at all picky. I was a journalist for a decade before this so I have a high threshhold for annoying people. Most of the annoying people, however, won't come to my classes, because I don't feed their need to compete and acheive the toughest pose in the book.

When I first started teaching I took over for a very popular teacher and most of the students evaporated. Those who stayed, however, were the best people in the world and they give me lots of love and good enery. Its funny too, because some of the diserters are starting to drift back after a year. Go figure.

Edited by skatrenah 2006-02-11 11:52 PM

Posted 2006-02-12 12:10 PM (#43554 - in reply to #43430)

Kabu,

I do not understand why many men are like your husband--they won't touch something with a ten-foot pole. It's kind of strange to me. Perhaps it's just really strange to me. But, i do know that a lot of men are like that.

I do not know how he would feel about it, but thai yoga massage is amazing, and all he has to do is show up. it might be a start for him where he doesn't really have to make any concerted effort and he doesn't have to be adept at anything to do it. A lot of men don't want to do yoga because they fear judgement of the others in the class (the same reason why a lot of women don't want to do it either).

it may be a way to introduce him to the processes that will help him physically, emotionally, and spiritually, but not where he has to do very much about it.

i teach a class about twice a year for couples to do thai yoga massage with each other. I lead the class for 3 hours and it's great. I love doing it. A lot of women bring their husbands who are not always thrilled to be there--and deathly afraid of yoga. After 3 hours of thai massage, many of them come to yoga class in the following weeks and get hooked. So, i find that it makes for a nice introduction to the process for them.

If you'd like, i have some time available in the late summer and early fall for workshops. If your studio would like to host me, i'd be happy to come and teach yoga, thai yoga massage for couples, and even a teacher training intensive. Let me know.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-12 2:18 PM (#43557 - in reply to #43554)

Oh man, he is resistant with a capital R. He would never say this out loud, but I think he feels it's a girl thing. Add to that his super tight hamstrings and his macho ego, and you can imagine it's like talking to a brick wall.

I'm careful not to bug him about it ~ I've mentioned it maybe 3 times in the last 7 years. We also had a Family Yoga class which would have been perfect for him. It was more like Play Yoga, and there were quite a few Dads who I believe participated just to make Mom or the kids happy. We all have fun though! I tried to get him to come with for just ONE class. Nope.

There is a little hope. The kids class is having a Yoga Pizza party in two weeks. I won't be able to attend, but the girls really, really want to go. Daddy reluctantly agreed to take them. He has been whining, "I won't have to DO any Yoga, will I?" but at least he isn't backing out.

We had a Couples Workshop last year, and naturally he refused. The Thai Yoga is a great idea! I fear I will get the same reaction, but it's worth a try.

To be brutally honest here, he's totally lost on all levels. It breaks my heart when he asks me, "How can you have such faith?" Mentally, he's worn out (though he's forced to prepare to defend himself and his colleagues in an upcoming trial). Physically, he's slowly falling apart. There's a terrible history of heart problems and cancer in his family, so you can imagine what goes through my mind. I don't like where this trend is going, you know?

Thank you for the workshop offer! I'm going to pass that on to Silvia, the studio owner. In fact, if you're curious about the studio, their website is Total Body Yoga. And who knows, I may be headed your way one day. I'd like to travel more, and I'd love to combine that with checking out studios all over the country.

Sorry for babbling. Can you tell I'm a little anxious?
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-12 3:36 PM (#43559 - in reply to #42893)

Kabu,

Does your husband do any exercise? Try getting him to do Pilates. Granted he won't get the full benefits of yoga, but it would be a step in the right direction. Also, some studies have shown that cardio exercise is a real help with depression.

I've had a lot more yoga training than pilates training, so I blend in yoga to give them some variety. My students know this, but many of them still won't go to my yoga classes. Yoga has a lot of connotations in many people's minds and it's hard to overcome.

I was going through my own difficult situation a few years ago, when I got back on a regular gym program, which at least helped keep me from going over the edge. I tried pilates first, because it was the new thing to trim the wasteline at the gym, but I could only do it once a week. I over heard some girls saying their yoga class was a lot like pilates, so I added in a yoga class to get the benefits twice a week.

I'm not sure I would have embarked on a "spiritual journey" at that point in my life.

If your husband is not ready for yoga yet, try to get him active. Start with the body. Hope that the mind and spirit will follow.

Sharon
miss dee
Posted 2006-02-12 3:48 PM (#43560 - in reply to #42893)

YIKES YogaBrian! how do you do it??

I thought I taught a bunch: 15 classes a week @ 90 minutes each

REMEMBER: These classes are all in 105+ degrees and big humidity

monday -thursday 10 AM 430 PM and 630PM
Saturday 10 and 430
Sunday 10AM only

yes, i tend to be a little smelly and somewhat moist of hair, most of the time.

what about naps?
do you MEGA teachers take a little nappy in the day??
i do. usually from 1:30-3:00 pm

Dee
miss dee
Posted 2006-02-12 3:52 PM (#43561 - in reply to #43560)

i forgot to say with out my practice i too would be crazier:
do a minimum of 6 classes a week. I prefer to do 8 to 10 a week if i can.
these are conducted as "silent" classes- with music and only with experienced students,.

very HOT. very SWEATY. very nice.

Dee

Kabu
Posted 2006-02-12 3:56 PM (#43562 - in reply to #43559)

Hi Sharon,

He used to exercise but stopped many years ago. We just bought a heavy bag ~ it's mainly for me, but I was secretly hoping it would pull him in a little (he boxed when we was younger). So far, nothing.

If I could get him walking on the treadmill 3 days a week, I'd be thrilled.
yogabrian
Posted 2006-02-12 4:57 PM (#43566 - in reply to #42893)

Miss dee,

It helps that my class is only an hour long. Also I teach in 85-90 degree heat. Much easier to survive through a 5-8 session day. After teaching this volume in the gyms for years, now that I have my own space it is easier not having to run all over town.

I think I picked up teaching so many classes from my teacher. He taught 35-40 classes(with privates I believe) for years. He always used to tell me the formula for being a good teacher was very easy. Teach alot of classes and practice even more!

What for me is hard as I am sure you have experienced is RUNNING the business of having a space. The admin ALWAYS takes more time then I plan for. Something seems to alway go wrong when you don't want it to. Slow periods cause sleepless nights.

I think that my practice and really loving what I do for a living makes it all worth it. I don't think I could go to a desk job after this.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-12 9:49 PM (#43579 - in reply to #43559)

Expert Yogi

skatrenah - 2006-02-12 3:36 PM Does your husband do any exercise? Try getting him to do Pilates. Granted he won't get the full benefits of yoga, but it would be a step in the right direction. Also, some studies have shown that cardio exercise is a real help with depression. I'm not sure I would have embarked on a "spiritual journey" at that point in my life. If your husband is not ready for yoga yet, try to get him active. Start with the body. Hope that the mind and spirit will follow. Sharon

Hi Sharon, With all due respect, I really do not think it is a good idea to try to force someone to do a yoga practice. In fact, its kinda not a good idea.  We need to let our husbands be and quit trying to force our ideas on them.  This is not part of the yoga practice.  It is our practice if we are truly on a yoga path to focus on ourselves, not on others - including spouses. 

A long time ago I made this mistake with my ex-husband and it had disastrous results for his state of well being.  It only added more confusion to his path, rather than helping him.  He ended up being like a puppy dog following me around to everything I did and it ended up being a great big LIE, for him - it was such a joke.  It has to be true and it has to be within that person...not forced, and not mentally forced to try to please the other partner, that is very dangerous and it is not beneficial to that person to experience.  So please be careful about this.  We are not suppose to JUDGE anything or anyone.  My Nepali husband who is very much Hindu and into his culture is not a yoga practitioner, he is a body builder.  He understands and supports my practice, after all he lived in the monastery's and was trained by a great Yogi master.  He has done the Hot/Bikram series with me from time to time, but he is not a regular practitioner and has no interest at this time.  This is a very important aspect of the Yoga practice and needs to be respected and honored. 

Kabu
Posted 2006-02-12 10:41 PM (#43581 - in reply to #43579)

Not to worry. I don't think any of us were proposing forcing someone to practice Yoga. Like I said earlier, I don't mention it very often. In fact, I don't force a thing on him. I take that back...he does have to suck it up and eat pork chops once in a while 'cause the 10 year old likes them. But that's about it.

I would like to get him in the studio door just so he can see what it's like. I don't care if he practices or not ~ I just want him to find something that would be good for him. I want him to be around the next 40 years or so.
skatrenah
Posted 2006-02-12 11:14 PM (#43582 - in reply to #42893)

Yes Kabu,

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant the exact opposite of forcing him to do yoga.

Find something he's less opposed to and try to get him to try it to get his mind off his situation. It could be pilates, weight lifting or painting. I only suggested pilates, because it mentally seems to be a safer environment for men who think yoga is kind of girly, but has a lot of similar exercises.

Cardio exercises, like a plain-old treadmill can help reduce depression and can get the body in shape.

We tend to think yoga is "the answer." But it may not be the answer for everyone.

sharon
itchytummy
Posted 2006-02-13 12:55 AM (#43585 - in reply to #43582)

Hey I'm back from my yoga.com break!

This is totally going back to the beginning of this thread. But I teach 18 classes of my own a week, and since I work for such a busy athletic club, I sub anywhere from 3 classes or more a week. I don't always sub yoga. (Yoga's what I mostly teach, though.) I've also subbed pilates, step, kickboxing, sculpt, abs, fitball, aqua, and a bunch of other stuff I probably can't remember I've taught. (All this teaching and no computer of my own is probably one of the reasons why I've been gone so long!) There are days when I've taught so much I can't keep the classes I've taught straight. I do remember that one time I taught 7 classes in one day and then attended two because I had a hard time fitting in my own personal practice that whole week. The strangest thing was that I wasn't even tired after that whole day! I felt great.

I guess I've really conditioned my body through all the teaching I've done (I do a lot of things along with my students, but still walk around and do adjustments) that things that would have tired me out quickly a couple of years ago, barely phase me now. Heck, on top of teaching, I practice therapeutic massage and do privates too! I also find the time to do weight training and cardio at the gym to mix things up. My family, friends, and students all think I'm crazy, but I love it. I feel happier and healthier than I've felt in a long time, so I'm going to continue for however long this schedule suits me. Believe it or not, I do listen to my body and do stop when I think I'm overdoing it
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-13 10:35 AM (#43612 - in reply to #43557)

Kabu - 2006-02-12 2:18 PM

Oh man, he is resistant with a capital R. He would never say this out loud, but I think he feels it's a girl thing. Add to that his super tight hamstrings and his macho ego, and you can imagine it's like talking to a brick wall.

Then the best thing you can do is wait for something to change. Before I got started again you couldn't have convinced me to do yoga if you had payed me, just a little too burnt from my experience in cali. Once things fell into place I started again, and now you'd have to dynomite me out of the studio.

To be brutally honest here, he's totally lost on all levels. It breaks my heart when he asks me, "How can you have such faith?" Mentally, he's worn out (though he's forced to prepare to defend himself and his colleagues in an upcoming trial). Physically, he's slowly falling apart. There's a terrible history of heart problems and cancer in his family, so you can imagine what goes through my mind.

Yes, that's very hard. Probably the best thing you can do for him is to make sure he eats well. Everything else is out of your control, if he's not interested/capable of making the effort.

Posted 2006-02-14 9:09 AM (#43668 - in reply to #43557)

Kabu:

I can understand his resistance on a number of levels. A lot of men think that yoga isn't masculine enough, even though it was started by men, and for many years, women weren't allowed to do it (in the beginning--and that is, specific to asana practice, as women could do other yoga practices). But, in the US, yoga was started by females. When swami vivikananda came to the world's fair in the late 1800s, he noticed that the men didn't seem interested, but that the women did. breaking from tradition (where families learn together, headed by men), he decided to teach women independently with the faith and understanding that the men would eventually follow. To an extent, this certainly has happened.

It seems that in our culture, women are more open to 'new' (as in newly introduced) spiritual and other ideas, and men are more entrenched. A lot of this comes from the fear of loosing sight of one's prescribed social gender. The pressure on male identity is massive, and it is also very narrow. Any tiny misstep or step away from comfortable, prescribed masculinity can cause a huge social hammer to come down. My husband remembers a very mortifying conversation with a girl at school who mentioned that his shirt (which was a hand-me-down) was a girl's shirt and not a boys. He was mortified because if his male friends found out, they would tease him, consider him gay, or whatever else. BEing the top sort of cultural creature that a male is, and noticing the broad-spectrum of female allowances for personal expression, many men cling desparately to the narrow definition of masculinity that they have inherited.

This, of course, leads to a great deal of male suffering--and i see it all around me. Even men in my classrooms, who longingly look at the women's clothing wishing that there was something comparable for men--the right sorts of wicking materials, clothing that fits, but isn't fitted like a glove or sausage wrapper. And some men will even voice this concern (not wanting to wear baggy shorts and t-shirts, but also not wanting to wear the skin-tight yoga pants either). And some men, will actually buy the women's pants, in larger sizes of course, and wear them. But, for those who do, it's quite a hurdle to get over to walk into the classroom like that--and hope no one makes a comment. In the specific case that i know, no one did--and in fact most of the men at the studio followed suit, recognizing that those pants were the best for the class. But, they're still 'women's' pants, and they wouldn't wear them in any other location--get the idea?

It can be tough for the fellas, they do have their own cultural cages to overcome.

Thai massage is a great idea because it's fully clothed, done in private (unless you're taking a workshop on it), and it has many benefits. There's no requirement for any level of fitness and no exertion. As a form of massage, it's great for relieving stress and moving through things. It seems that with all of the things that your husband is going through, adding a stress is not a good one. And, when you're upset in many ways, forcing oneself to move or exercise in any way is incredibly difficult. I know this from my own experience. It's likely that when these things pass (and they will), he'll begin to move in a more healthy, health-full direction. it takes time though, patience, and all that.

Remember, if you can have faith about these other things, you can also have faith that your husband will find a way to take care of himself, to become healthy. I was freaking out about my dad for a number of years, because he was very unhealthy. I was worried, and he spoke frequently about how he 'wasn't going to live forever' and was 'making sure that your mom will be taken care of" and all that language. He was only in his late 50s, and it was freaking me out. Well, over the last year, he found a medication that works for him, and he's lost a lot of weight and gotten into great shape. He's started exercising even more, and feels strong, healthy, and motivated. HIs language about age, sickness, and death has largely disappeared. He mostly talks about investments now--for a long retirement after age 70, and also working at the local university once he does retire). He came through OK, you know? he just had a really rough go of things for a while there--it happens to all of us. So, add a little faith to that basket too!

Thanks for the web site, i'll definately look at it. I can send her some materials if she'd like, definately let me know. I'll also give you my email in a private message, so that we can communicate more directly than through a web site. That will make many things easier.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-14 10:42 AM (#43671 - in reply to #43668)

zoebird - 2006-02-14 9:09 AM
It seems that in our culture, women are more open to 'new' (as in newly introduced) spiritual and other ideas, and men are more entrenched.

This hasn't been my experience. Woman certainly dominate the yoga scene, but outside of this arena, I see men predominantly. Further more, men have traditionally been culturally conditioned to be the explorers, to go out and try new things, while women have been trained to stay at home, and socialize.

A lot of this comes from the fear of loosing sight of one's prescribed social gender. The pressure on male identity is massive, and it is also very narrow. Any tiny misstep or step away from comfortable, prescribed masculinity can cause a huge social hammer to come down.

This has a lot more to do with the expectations and rules of the society we live in. This is a general problem and really has nothing to do with gender. It also applies to just about any micro-society you care to mention. Even the "non-conformist" hippies had their uniforms of tie-dyes and blue jeans.

This, of course, leads to a great deal of male suffering--and i see it all around me. Even men in my classrooms, who longingly look at the women's clothing wishing that there was something comparable for men--the right sorts of wicking materials, clothing that fits, but isn't fitted like a glove or sausage wrapper.

There certainly aren't a lot of "yoga" clothes for men, obviously due to a lack of market. However, there are a lot of other places to get comparable things. I see a lot of people with Prana stuff, and one of my office mates has a nice wicking shirt from Nike. It's supposedly for runners, but I don't think it will self-destruct if I took it into a yoga studio.

Anyway, clothes are probably one of the silliest ways to indicate gender, it doesn't take much poking about in history to turn up something like this:

(colorplate162-163.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments colorplate162-163.jpg (31KB - 63 downloads)

Posted 2006-02-14 11:38 AM (#43674 - in reply to #43671)

This hasn't been my experience. Woman certainly dominate the yoga scene, but outside of this arena, I see men predominantly. Further more, men have traditionally been culturally conditioned to be the explorers, to go out and try new things, while women have been trained to stay at home, and socialize.

what i describe has been my experience. while women dominate the yoga scene in this area, they're also the ones dragging their husbands to churches and other religious festivities because the children are of a certain age. i also see more women going alone to more religious or spiritual activities in general, with husbands or boyfriends or even older sons dragging their feet on the issue or finding any number of ways to not participate. i've listened to countless women describe how their husbands do not have interest in various philosophical, social, or spiritual leanings--of any sort, including those in which they were raised but that they insist that their children be raised in the same spiritual surroundings that they were, even if neither man or the woman who would take the responsibility for doing this actually believes in that tradition. finding happy mediums are also difficult for many women i know, who want to give their children a religious education, but their husband are either uninterested or insistant on a particular 'brand.'

i've met a number of men who were spiritual seekers independent of their wives. most of these men are in my classes or in the various places that i've gone. I've also met men who were in these environments to meet women, not for spiritual sustinance. They seem to recognize that women are walking in various spiritual realms, and if they want to meet women, this is a good opportunity--whether or not they actually believe in or practice the religion. I've had men admit to this openly.

It seems to me that the spiritual education and spiritual realms are largely supported by women, even though they're largely lead by a few men. traditional christian churches tend to be lead by men, but actually run by women--women making up the majority of the numbers. A quick glance around in most churches during services demonstrates this--as well as how engaged in the services the individuals are.

I think the greatest evidence, though, is the experience of women in their frustration that their husbands seem completely disinterested in matters of faith or philosophy, and spend very little time seeking out what they feel and believe. Or at least, if they are seeking it, they're not at all communicating it to the women around them.

Those men who do, like my husband, also report that other men see him as very unusual and far less masculine than they see themselves. That to be spiritual, or a concept of 'too spiritual' is to be 'airy fairy' and that is problematic to the male gender.

While men may be conditioned to be explorers, i rarely see men stepping out of their prescribed gender roles of work, spectator sports, and a few other narrow categories of behavior (some more or less related to women). I've watched many men my own age and older fight the very notion of trying something new--from new works of fiction to new activities to new ideas. Whereas, most women i know are always seeking to learn something new, to try something new (for themselves, their families, their children, or their communities), and they often have to drag their husbands into it or leave them behind to "watch the game" or whatever else.

Kabu's experience about her husband being resistant is the most resounding complaint that i hear about men and about husbands--how they won't try various personal, couple, or family activities, and how most of the responsibility for this comes from the woman in the house.

This has a lot more to do with the expectations and rules of the society we live in. This is a general problem and really has nothing to do with gender. It also applies to just about any micro-society you care to mention. Even the "non-conformist" hippies had their uniforms of tie-dyes and blue jeans.

Of course every large and small society has structures and strictures and mechanisms for maintaining those strictures (largely shame). But gender is a large part of our society, and gender structure is important. Over the last 100 years, the prescriptions for female gender structure has radically changed, but it hasn't necessarily radically changed for the male gender structure. In fact, if anything it's become more narrow as the female gender structure has expanded.

There certainly aren't a lot of "yoga" clothes for men, obviously due to a lack of market. However, there are a lot of other places to get comparable things. I see a lot of people with Prana stuff, and one of my office mates has a nice wicking shirt from Nike. It's supposedly for runners, but I don't think it will self-destruct if I took it into a yoga studio.

But, is there a lack of market? Men have been doing yoga in the US for many years, and the numbers of men in yoga classes are increasing. Early on, it would be rare to have a man in class--maybe one man for every 30 women. Today, we're seeing a much greater number. I have classes that have more men thatn women in them. I have men in all except two of my classes--and those classes are specialized and small. My most consistant private client is male. Certainly, there is a market in yoga clothing for men. Whether or not other companies will pick up on it is another thing.

As for clothing, my husband also wears the nike or reebok wicking shirts. He finds that the ones with the cap sleeve (which are for triathletes) are the most comfortable, but at $70 per shirt that lasts only a few months (stink), it's not a feasable option. The other shirts (that are sleeved or tanks) cost around $35, last the same amount of time, but are not as comfortable or functional for yoga practice--particularly for shoulder movement (he mentiones that the sleeves get in the way for most of the movements, and the tanks are better, but the tanks constrict movement around the neck due to the cut of them. My husband also notes that these clothes generally only come in certain colors--most of them not as fun or colorful as what he would prefer.

His selection for pants is also limited. He can choose shorts--either baggy in the leg (loose) or tight like biking shorts. Since he is modest and doesn't want to show the jewels off, he wears baggy. But, baggy slide up and down, get in the way in lunges, and are all around difficult to work with. he also prefers that no one sees his underwear, as those sorts of shorts tend to show one more than they want to see. If he goes with pants, he has sweat pants or runner tights, but nothing like the loose-but-fitted stretch pants that women have. These are actually the most functional for him, and so he wear them (he prefers prana's Ono pants for women, btw).

Notice also that the availability of color for most men is limited to a relatively small pallet--olive, navy, brown, black, grey. occassionally, there is deviation. Of course, professional athletes get more options for color over all, but for the most part, color is an issue.

This issue of fashion actually comes up after the image that you gave--with the concept of the Great Renunciation. The great renunciation was a time when men gave up a lot of their 'beauty traits' that they had prior (as in the picture), when they would do as they wished for beauty sake. Sure, fashion is changing, but prior to the renunciation a man could wear any number of vibrant colros and silks in any number of flourishes and fancies, but today a man cannot really get away with a bright purple suit unless he's a rock star, homosexual, or some other form of 'extremist." Your average male won't go out in such garish fashions, simply because it's somehow not considered 'masculine.'

this issue of fashion comes into play from another angle. with the advent of the 20th century, women's fashions expanded to include male fashion, which expanded the social concepts of female identity. Remember that art, and external expression such as individual fashion statements, are meant to be social indicators of status, standing, gender, and a myriad of other elements. looking to the definitions for masculinity that have been handed down since the renunciation, and the fact that women also include these in their own structures now, it has the potential to further expand or to close down on masculine gender identity.

Thus far, it has closed, moreso than opened. There are rare exceptions, of course, such as a young man that my husband and I saw at the movie theater not long ago, dressed in a long, flowing floral skirt, a t shirt and a baggy sweat shirt. he wore this with a pair of wollen socks and clogs. He looked strikingly masculine (to me), and it was obvious that he was male. My husband was also distinctly interested in his mode of dress, as this may foretell of a particular social openness that our next genderation has. Couple this with a local boy who has severe knee trouble, and who is not allowed to wear shorts (it's against school dress code), and so he decided that skirts would be more comfortable than pants (he wears heavy knee braces). He is a very masculine boy who systematicly found easy-to-wear skirts in a variety of colors, which he paired with his usual t-shirts, sweat shirts, and sneakers and socks. He had no real self consciousness about it--and while teachers complained, students though it was 'cool' and many girls considered it 'surprisingly attractive.' the local news anchors made fun of the kids (i sent them a strongly worded letter about it). but even this seems to bode well for the renunciation of the renunciation.

it seems that in the younger groups, masculinity is taking on different structures and outward displays. I would like to see more men in more colors and in skirts--walking comfortably and unselfconsciously as those two teens were. Noteably, the first teen i mentioned was with his parents, who were decidedly and obviously uncomfortable with their son's mode of dress, but obviously not so much that they would keep him from going out publicly, with them, in such a state of dress.

many people consider both of these boys to be transvestites, and we question when (or whether) the language would change. THe term was largely attached to women who wore pants in the 1800s and the early 1900s, but not necessarily attached to them once the gender structure changed that allowed women to wear pants on a regular basis. Does my wearing jeans--traditionally a men's clothing item--make me a transvestite? am i a transvestitie when i wear men's jeans (which i do on occassion), or when i might have a man's suit fitted to my body? Or am i simply a woman, wearing clothing that is now socially prescribed and allowable?

the term transvestite is loaded in our culture. It's loaded with a sense of sexual deviance and shame. If we label these boys as 'transvestites' they may feel that there's something wrong with them--but is there? is there something inherently female about skirts? obviously, in many traditional cultures, we can point to male "skirts" such as kilts and sarongs. But these boys weren't wearing kilts or sarongs--quite obviously, they were wearing 'women's skirts' denoted as such because of the floral patterns. But, are these any less masculine?

I admit, it's such a fine line between the black ono pant from prana (made for women, but worn by many men) and a black pair of running tights from nike. No one, to look at either clothing item, would necessarily say "this is masculine. this is feminine." Instead, they'd look to other gender markers such as body type, etc. And, if those markers weren't evident, they'd look to secondary markers such as hair, skin/make up, shoes, etc.

But it does become a different matter when we're talking about men and boys wearing skirts with floral patterns, high heels, and/or make up--all of which they might have or did wear before the renunciation, but haven't really since, except in social deviance that is largely shamed. And, i wonder whether or not these boys feel or adopt any of that social shame on themselves when they wear their favorite floral skirts (all knee length or longer, noteably)--or whether or not we or other people would consider them transvestites. And if we do, why we don't consider women wearing a man's suit or men's jeans, or pants in general, as transvestitism.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-14 2:14 PM (#43677 - in reply to #42893)

Extreme Veteran

Or, there are guys like my husband who think one of the best parts of being a guy is not having to fuss with his appearance, wear makeup, etc.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-14 3:40 PM (#43684 - in reply to #43674)

zoebird - 2006-02-14 11:38 AM

i've listened to countless women describe how their husbands do not have interest in various philosophical, social, or spiritual leanings--of any sort, including those in which they were raised but that they insist that their children be raised in the same spiritual surroundings that they were, even if neither man or the woman who would take the responsibility for doing this actually believes in that tradition. finding happy mediums are also difficult for many women i know, who want to give their children a religious education, but their husband are either uninterested or insistant on a particular 'brand.'

I can't really comment on Church since I'm not a participant. I can tell you I've seen both sexes drag people into their particular brand of spirituality. (Including men dragging women into yoga and meditation classes) I think a lot of them find people they click with on other levels, but not in this one, and it causes problems in the relationship. If the women you're refering to are in yoga classes, obviously they're going to have a tougher sell, because it's not a male dominated arena. The same claim could be made for other male dominated things such as the martial arts. I'd have a heck of a time dragging a lot of women to a dojo.

There's also the fun social past time of "Isn't it terrible" which figures into any b!tching session. From your description it's hard to tell if this is a deep felt need, or a fun thing to complain about. There's also the whole say one thing, do another dynamic. Like all the women who claim to want a "nice" guy, but end up with a--holes.

It seems to me that the spiritual education and spiritual realms are largely supported by women, even though they're largely lead by a few men. traditional christian churches tend to be lead by men, but actually run by women--women making up the majority of the numbers.

Once again, not a church goer, but is this a matter of spiritual particpation, or a social event within the church? In our society women spend a lot of time organizing social events because they're just more social. They also tend to have more time, since less women have full time jobs than men.

A quick glance around in most churches during services demonstrates this--as well as how engaged in the services the individuals are.

I try not to gage people by the shows they put on in these sorts of settings, I think it's almost impossible to tell what's really going on internally. (Which is another good reason to wear a Death Metal T-Shirt to a yoga studio)

Or at least, if they are seeking it, they're not at all communicating it to the women around them.

That may be a more accurate assessment, or if they are communicating it, it's at a level the woman don't understand or can't related to. We can discuss whether this is social or hardwired, but I believe that men and women approach these matters differently, which can result in problems communicating things that are pretty ineffiable to begin with.

Those men who do, like my husband, also report that other men see him as very unusual and far less masculine than they see themselves. That to be spiritual, or a concept of 'too spiritual' is to be 'airy fairy' and that is problematic to the male gender.

Well, I think this also depends on what you mean by 'spiritual'. If you're refering to men who spend a lot of time following women's paths, that's a likely result. Supposedly there used to be rules about the men only teaching the men, and the women only teaching the women partially for this reason. It's hard for the two sexes to teach each other, since they come at things differently. For example, a lot of men use hunting and fishing to commune with nature. I'd consider this spiritual, a lot of women probably wouldn't.

I also think that a lot of people find various spiritual paths that are not the "brand" (love that term) they're used too to be weird or strange. Frankly, I've learned to keep my mouth shut in most circumstances because I don't want to deal with the social repercussions of stepping out of line.

I can also tell you that my teacher is all fire and fierceness. He's probably one of the most powerful, intimidating and masculine men I've ever met. I don't think there's a man out there who would make comments about him being airey-fairy, or less masculine, even when he wore his man's skirt. He is NOT one of these flakey new agers, but rather something much more real and grounded.

While men may be conditioned to be explorers, i rarely see men stepping out of their prescribed gender roles of work, spectator sports, and a few other narrow categories of behavior (some more or less related to women). I've watched many men my own age and older fight the very notion of trying something new--from new works of fiction to new activities to new ideas. Whereas, most women i know are always seeking to learn something new, to try something new (for themselves, their families, their children, or their communities), and they often have to drag their husbands into it or leave them behind to "watch the game" or whatever else.

I see a similar level of inertia in both sexes. If you know any fun, liberated woman, please send them this way.

Kabu's experience about her husband being resistant is the most resounding complaint that i hear about men and about husbands--how they won't try various personal, couple, or family activities, and how most of the responsibility for this comes from the woman in the house.

But you're also hearing this from the woman. It's also hard to say what other things lead up to this. Maybe their SOs have already tried X, Y, or Z, maybe it's not good for them, or maybe the woman are playing some other game associated with the activity.

But, is there a lack of market? Men have been doing yoga in the US for many years, and the numbers of men in yoga classes are increasing. Early on, it would be rare to have a man in class--maybe one man for every 30 women.

There is a market, but not a very big one, IMHO. You've got a relatively niche activity, of which men make up a small percentage (5-10%). Clothes require high volume to be profitable, so most people are going to target the women.

Today, we're seeing a much greater number. I have classes that have more men thatn women in them. I have men in all except two of my classes--and those classes are specialized and small. My most consistant private client is male. Certainly, there is a market in yoga clothing for men.

I think this has something to do with your own personal dynamics. Probably part of your tom boy persona. Never having taken one of your classes, I'd guess you steer away from some of the more touchy-feely/new agey things that turn a lot of men off.

This issue of fashion actually comes up after the image that you gave--with the concept of the Great Renunciation.

Interesting. OTOH, I don't see things being all that different. The style of dress shown is for the upper classes, ie medieval rock stars, nobles, wealthy merchants. Frankly, I'm happy I'm not required to wear a wig in public. ;)

this issue of fashion comes into play from another angle. with the advent of the 20th century, women's fashions expanded to include male fashion, which expanded the social concepts of female identity.

Not sure I see that. From what I see, it seems like most fashions have a lot more to do with basic comfort and/or working clothes. The dominate form of pants are jeans, which were originally designed to be miner's clothing. You are correct that woman can generally wear just about anything they want and not cross-dress, with a few minor exceptions. (Never seen a woman in a kilt)

Thus far, it has closed, moreso than opened. There are rare exceptions, of course, such as a young man that my husband and I saw at the movie theater not long ago, dressed in a long, flowing floral skirt, a t shirt and a baggy sweat shirt. he wore this with a pair of wollen socks and clogs.

Interesting that we've both come back to skirts, and independently. I've got no urge to wear one, but I do like loose fitting clothing, of which a skirt comes in handly. I'm also partially scottish, so maybe a kilt? Always thought it would be fun for a bit.

He looked strikingly masculine (to me), and it was obvious that he was male.

Interesting that the reverse is sometimes used to make woman more attractive as well. Women in men's shirts (generally with nothing else on) or male sports uniforms are pretty common.

it seems that in the younger groups, masculinity is taking on different structures and outward displays.

Or it could be just teenagers being rebellous, like the baby boomers were with long hair.

the term transvestite is loaded in our culture. It's loaded with a sense of sexual deviance and shame.

Yup, from the sounds of things, that much hasn't changed in generations. FWIW, I don't think most people would use the term "transvestite", but rather cross dresser.

OTOH, social shame isn't such a bad thing. It raises the bar on less acceptable forms of activities so that people are less likely to stray off the beaten path and into something dangerous. Currently there's also a lot of shame attacted to smoking, which helps to prevent people from starting, or continuing.

I admit, it's such a fine line between the black ono pant from prana (made for women, but worn by many men) and a black pair of running tights from nike. No one, to look at either clothing item, would necessarily say "this is masculine. this is feminine."

Tell me about it, if there weren't big signs at Old Navy, I'd be unable to tell which set of clothes I was supposed to be buying.

And if we do, why we don't consider women wearing a man's suit or men's jeans, or pants in general, as transvestitism.

We're used to it.

Posted 2006-02-14 4:49 PM (#43687 - in reply to #43684)

There's also the fun social past time of "Isn't it terrible" which figures into any b!tching session. From your description it's hard to tell if this is a deep felt need, or a fun thing to complain about.

i agree, it could be something to complain about as well. i know that for many, that's a fun past time. I also know that it can also be the sort of thing of. . .well not communicating clearly. Like, i might be mildly agitated by the fact that my husband leaves his socks on the stairs, but this might come out as a huge complaint about how he leaves the house in a shambles. You know?

Once again, not a church goer, but is this a matter of spiritual particpation, or a social event within the church? In our society women spend a lot of time organizing social events because they're just more social. They also tend to have more time, since less women have full time jobs than men.

it's hard to say, really. first, i use church because it's most accessable. i'm not saying christianity is where this mainly happens or that you have to be a church goer to know. i'm expanding it out to religions in general, as this is my experience in the area where i live now, which is very diverse.

i don't know whether or not religious education or going to services is a social event or not. I know that these things may be for my MIL--as the church is her primary social outlet. It's a built in social network filled with many jobs that she can do, from planning to participating on multiple levels, and that this gives her a sense of worth and self esteem. certainly, i think that's important and it does provide a particular individual and social function and need.

but i think that when it comes to children, it may not necessarily be a social thing. One of my friends had a daughter 4-5 years ago, and prior to having her never went to church or felt any need to go to church. she was raised catholic. her husband was raised lutheren. when she was pregnant, something got in her head that she needed to go to church, to have the baby baptised, and all of that stuff, and so she did. He didn't go to church either--as far as i could tell neither of them cared--but since the birth of their daughter, they haven't missed a sunday. He insisted on luterhanism, but i know that he couldn't tell you the difference between the lutheran church he goes to and the wisconsin synod lutheran church down the street, nor could he tell you how luterhen is different from catholic or baptist or whatever else. Neither can she. It's just that she needed to go to church--for reasons neither of them seem to understand, and she insisted that he go too "for the baby."

prior to having the baby, and after, they were connected to their communities in other ways--family, friends, what have you. once they joined the church, their only participation was sunday services, and whatever services they would need for the baby--and now sunday school. they don't have any clear picture of their own spirituality, they just seem to do this because it's some sense of what they're supposed to do. I can't say that i understand it.

but, i do see it over and over and over again. And often, i see that it's the mothers that are pushing the issue and not the fathers, which i also think is interesting. But i dont' think it's from a need to socialize or plan social events. It would be easy enough to have family and friend parties and set those up independent of the church, particularly if your as social as many of the people whom i know.

similarly, many women do work full time, with children, as do their husbands. so it's difficult to say--with the statistical majority of women who have children are working as well--that they have more time for these sorts of things. to me, it seems like women are interested in or tapped into something--spiritual need or what have you--that drags them back to church once they have children.

I try not to gage people by the shows they put on in these sorts of settings, I think it's almost impossible to tell what's really going on internally. (Which is another good reason to wear a Death Metal T-Shirt to a yoga studio)

while i agree to a point, when a person is reading a grisham novel or what have you in church, it's fair to say that they're not likely paying attention. same with people who are sleeping during church, or appear to be listening to headphones. it's surprising how many men and women are doing this in church, while their kids are with them, reading children's books. I often wonder what, exactly, they're doing there. And, it's not just christian churches either, weird enough.

That may be a more accurate assessment, or if they are communicating it, it's at a level the woman don't understand or can't related to. We can discuss whether this is social or hardwired, but I believe that men and women approach these matters differently, which can result in problems communicating things that are pretty ineffiable to begin with.

i'm going to try and find this interesting article that i got online somewhere--it's about the differences between male and female cognative processes that still lead to equal scores on intellegence tests. But, the brief run down is that 'grey matter' in the brain is an area where calculation is done and that 'white area' is the connections between grey area work. Women have less grey and more white; men have more grey and less while. Most of women's thought is in the frontal lobe region; while men have more grey matter spread throughout the brain. the scientists theorize that the brains developed differently to have equal intellegences but divergent ways of arriving at those intellegences for specific resons, looking largely to the concept or necessities of motherhood. In any cae, males analyze more and communicate less (from grey matter to grey matter), where as women calculate less and communicate more (as indicated by the less grey but more white). So women's breins are utilizing more communication processes--calling on different areas of grey matter) to arrive at a certain conclusion, whereas male brains are localizing their calculating in one parea of grey matter or those that are close to each other and connected through white matter. The studies were from the Univ. of Calif. at Irvine. Interesing huh?

couple this with last month's scientific american article about how motherhood changes the brain, and it's even more fascinating. apparently mother animals seem to evolve--having more memory, more 'bravado or fearlessness, and are better problem solvers. scientists theorize that this may be because they need to find resources quickly and return to their young quickly, in order to help them survive. it was an interesting article--but no human studies have been conducted yet, of course.

In any case, i completely agree that at a certain level, men and women think differently and that they are spiritually different. I think tht the spirit or soul of a person is informed by the biology that is housed in that spirit. And certainly, communicating the differences in these physical soul-experiences can be difficult. But, i don't think that it per se means that it's impossible, or even improbable for these two groups to share their experiences and understand each other.

i do think that there is a social issue regarding communication which i felt was dealt with beautifully in the film Brokeback Mountain. certainly more than a 'gay cowboy movie'--this was a film about masculine intimacy, expectation, fear (legitimate), and many other aspects of male gender construction. it was simply housed in a 'gay cowboy' experience--which i think made the whole thing really powerful. Anyway, there is a communication issue--well documented and discussed in various psychological circles that needs breaking down.

I'm not trying to disparage men at all. Goodness knows i value them so very highly. I think it's difficult for me, or Kabu for example, to watch men self destruct when they dont' have to, when their are options, but they won't consider those options for fear of being seen as 'less than.' i would like to think that 'less than' doesn't exist between sexes, genders, or whatever else. "different" certainly does, but it doesn't imply "less than."

For example, a lot of men use hunting and fishing to commune with nature. I'd consider this spiritual, a lot of women probably wouldn't.

i certainly would. it's also spiritual for women--with women--lest we forget diana/artimis. that aside, though, i agree that many of the pathways of accessing spirituality can be or are different for me, but there are also places where we are all similar. if we take the notion that bodies are housed in souls, and that souls choose different bodies over time, all of us have been men and women at some point, and that experience certainly impacts or is housed in the soul's knowledge. I may not have total access to it, but i do have some. And as i've said in the past, every women has a 'little man' in side of her, just as every man has a 'little woman.'

I also think that a lot of people find various spiritual paths that are not the "brand" (love that term) they're used too to be weird or strange. Frankly, I've learned to keep my mouth shut in most circumstances because I don't want to deal with the social repercussions of stepping out of line.

this certainly goes beyond gender. but, i personally feel that men have it harder in this regard than women. women are already marginalized, so to be marginalized a little farther is no big deal for me. for my husband to be marginalized, it's difficult for him. he finds htat it's even more difficult for other men--at least those who would share their feelings on the matter who are already, i guess, different.

But you're also hearing this from the woman. It's also hard to say what other things lead up to this. Maybe their SOs have already tried X, Y, or Z, maybe it's not good for them, or maybe the woman are playing some other game associated with the activity.

not always. i've actually met many of the husbands whose wives i teach. many of them work out in the gym near-by while their wives do yoga, or they come to meet them for dinner afterwards, or some such. i'll speak to them briefly about coming to class, and they'll give me the same reasons that their wives do (as to why they won't come). so, it's not just one sided. I know that for some of the husbands who are now regulars in my classes, it took three or four years of coaxing gently to get them to try it, and once they did, they loved it. And 'it' could be anything--from going for a walk to taking yoga class to taking the martial arts class or whatever.

FWIW, I don't think most people would use the term "transvestite", but rather cross dresser.

there's no difference in term. trans--across; vest--dress. it's the same term, one just uses the latin. it's like 'homosexual' or 'gay.'

here it is, you'd wear a kilt for comfort; but would you wear a floral print same cut in clothing for comfort? again, it's a matter of gender identification. most men have a bit of a qualm with a kilt (and yet are excited by it--and yes, women do wear kilts), but would wear it. but, few men would wear a kilt that wasn't plaid (see utilikilts) or that was pink or perhaps a floral print--usually for fear of seeming unmasculine.

Also, don't get caught in the fashion example itself. it's just meant to be an example of something playing out. it's not absolute, of course, and it's only one of many things. For me, it's accessable, because my male clients were talking (and complaining) about it recently.

And if we do, why we don't consider women wearing a man's suit or men's jeans, or pants in general, as transvestitism.

We're used to it.

yes, and that's my point. But, when it first happened, we weren't used to it. Women used to be arrested, jailed overnite, and fined for wearing pants in public--it was considered 'public indecency' for 'transvestitism.' While women have worn pants for practical reasons since they were invented, women caught doing so (while still 'being' women, as opposed to women who were caught living as men--transgendered--while serving in the army or some such) would often be jailed for it. Back then, it was shocking and indecent.

Today, while a man won't be jailed for 'cross dressing' there may be strong cultural indiciations that it shouldn't be done, lest someone questions he's masculinity. And, from the experience of the second young man (who was on the news for wearing skirts), it seems that people weren't, unless he was wearing floral patterns or 'girly' colors and people also asked (or teased him about) other feminine markers such as shaving his legs or wearing make up. But, what would be the wrong in either of those?

nothing inherently. clothing, make up, etc, doesn't have gender. but, we assign it meaning and assign it to a gender. and this then has personal and social implications. It's like this with many things, fashion is just one. Once we're used to the idea that clothing doesn't have a gender, men will feel more free to (and likely more inclined to) wear comfortable skirts.

afterall, you're not doing anything at work that would require pants, now do you? my work does, but programming computers all day likely doesn't, does it?

Posted 2006-02-14 4:53 PM (#43688 - in reply to #43677)

JackieCat - 2006-02-14 2:14 PM

Or, there are guys like my husband who think one of the best parts of being a guy is not having to fuss with his appearance, wear makeup, etc.

but this begs the question then, does a woman have to fuss with her appearance, wear make up, etc? is there something inherent in women that makes this necessary, or is this simply another aspect of gender stratification, meaning heaped on actions and outward displays to demonstrate differences between the sexes?

honestly, i don't wear make up, i don't fuss too much over clothing (i'm pretty simple about it really), and i don't do anything with my hair, and i shave my legs occassionally. seriously, my husband cares far more about his appearance than i do about mine. If i'm clean and neat, i'm happy. He thinks about what he's going to wear, what goes with what, he has a whole skin-care regime, he's picky about his hair/hairstyle, he loves jewelry. . .get the idea? It doesn't make him less masculine or me less feminine because we're different than our common social gender constructs.

right?
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-14 5:48 PM (#43692 - in reply to #43668)

zoebird -
The pressure on male identity is massive, and it is also very narrow.

I agree wholeheartedly!

I read an interesting book on male depression, and it covered the whole "male identity" thing quite a bit. The pressure is high, and the forumla is quite simple but strict: You have to be tough, unshakable, aggressive, ambitious. The inability to live up to the prescribed formula meant "failure" or "fraud."

The author felt many men struggle with this constant tug of war between their tough guy facade and who they really are.

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-14 6:59 PM (#43693 - in reply to #43687)

zoebird - 2006-02-14 4:49 PM

i don't know whether or not religious education or going to services is a social event or not.

It is, but my point was that women often get stuck in the role of organizing church events because of their superior social skills.

It's just that she needed to go to church--for reasons neither of them seem to understand, and she insisted that he go too "for the baby."

Which is another reason I hate "good" people. Generally they're working too hard on the wrong things because they're "good". As a result they miss the point, and end up causing more problems. In the case it sounds a lot like the BS my father pulled when I was born. Essentially he threw-out all his old rock n roll records because they were "bad", gave up motorcycle racing, etc. Kids change things, but sometimes people go overboard.

similarly, many women do work full time, with children, as do their husbands. so it's difficult to say--with the statistical majority of women who have children are working as well--that they have more time for these sorts of things.

Sure, I'm not down playing that, but rather pointing at a general trend. There are still a lot of traditional, one breadwinner households, with a stay at home mother. While probably 98% of men work FT, maybe 75-85% of women do. (These are just wild ass guesses) It's also tradition, and nothing changes slower than a millenial old religious institution. :D

to me, it seems like women are interested in or tapped into something--spiritual need or what have you--that drags them back to church once they have children.

Maybe. I've heard the claim that due to their menstrual cycle, women are more in tune with this sort of thing. Not being a women, or knowing a lot of spiritual women, it's hard for me to say.

while i agree to a point, when a person is reading a grisham novel or what have you in church, it's fair to say that they're not likely paying attention. same with people who are sleeping during church, or appear to be listening to headphones. it's surprising how many men and women are doing this in church, while their kids are with them, reading children's books. I often wonder what, exactly, they're doing there. And, it's not just christian churches either, weird enough.

I used to see the same thing in college, which I found really really strange. I never had a class where the prof took attendence, so there wasn't any reason to be there if you weren't going to pay attention. I asked some people about this, and they said they didn't want to miss something. (Homework, tests, etc) Maybe the people doing this aren't into whatever portion of the proceedings is going on, are getting a passive-aggressive pleasure from it, or are there because they were drug there by their SO.

In any cae, males analyze more and communicate less (from grey matter to grey matter), where as women calculate less and communicate more (as indicated by the less grey but more white). So women's breins are utilizing more communication processes--calling on different areas of grey matter) to arrive at a certain conclusion, whereas male brains are localizing their calculating in one parea of grey matter or those that are close to each other and connected through white matter. The studies were from the Univ. of Calif. at Irvine. Interesing huh?

Yes. It also goes a long way towards explaining the stereotype of the overly talkative female, huh?

But, i don't think that it per se means that it's impossible, or even improbable for these two groups to share their experiences and understand each other.

Nope, but it can mean that the husbands ARE having a deep, and spiritual existence, and the wives don't get it.

I'm not trying to disparage men at all. Goodness knows i value them so very highly.

I don't get that feeling, though I do feel we're back to our (yours and mine) contention about specific and general. You're talking about a specific part of the social roles, I like to tackle things a bit higher up.

I think it's difficult for me, or Kabu for example, to watch men self destruct when they dont' have to, when their are options, but they won't consider those options for fear of being seen as 'less than.' i would like to think that 'less than' doesn't exist between sexes, genders, or whatever else. "different" certainly does, but it doesn't imply "less than."

It used to bother me, but my friend Pat has played the martyr card so many times I've pretty much given up. It's just to easy to play the "Yes, but" game. It's not until people are really ready to change that anything will happen.

IIRC, a number of the wisdom schools adopted a simple format for the teacher/student dynamic. A student would ask a question, and the teacher would attempt to answer it. That's it. The student showed interest, and the teacher responded based on this. I think this is also part of the reason why the guru appears when the student is ready. The student's own drive, determination, and interest fuel the teacher's ability to answer the question. I know I got a lot more out of my teacher than some of his other students due to my faith, interest, and determination.

this certainly goes beyond gender. but, i personally feel that men have it harder in this regard than women. women are already marginalized, so to be marginalized a little farther is no big deal for me. for my husband to be marginalized, it's difficult for him. he finds htat it's even more difficult for other men--at least those who would share their feelings on the matter who are already, i guess, different.

Probably. I think I mentioned before that one of my earliest memories is one of my kindergarden class mates saying that I was wierd. I am wierd, I live on the margins, I'm not a high status individual. I don't have to deal with all the worry and pain about losing that, because I have nothing in that regard to lose. I hadn't really thought about it too much before, but that's probably the reason I spend so much time playing the anti-status game.

Also, don't get caught in the fashion example itself. it's just meant to be an example of something playing out. it's not absolute, of course, and it's only one of many things. For me, it's accessable, because my male clients were talking (and complaining) about it recently.

Sure, and it sounds like it fixed itself. I wouldn't want to wear a pink skirt because there's no pay-off. (Other than the attention). What do I gain by wearing a skirt? Nothing. In the case of yoga clothes, that's a more serious problem, and once somebody decided that the pay-off was better than the problem, it fixed itself. (That which is against the Tao will no long endure)

But, when it first happened, we weren't used to it. Women used to be arrested, jailed overnite, and fined for wearing pants in public--it was considered 'public indecency' for 'transvestitism.' While women have worn pants for practical reasons since they were invented, women caught doing so (while still 'being' women, as opposed to women who were caught living as men--transgendered--while serving in the army or some such) would often be jailed for it.

Once again there's a huge pay off for wearing pants for women. Particulary in the time period you mentioned, since many people were working in factories where wearing the women's fashion of the day was likely to get you killed or maimed.

In the case of the boy with braces you mentioned, once again there was a huge pay-off for wearing a skirt. There was also less hostile attention because he was a cripple, and people were likely going to treat him differently anyway, so the skirt was icing.

Probably the same thing with the boy and his folks. He was getting a pay-off by making them uncomfortable, and asserting this independence.

afterall, you're not doing anything at work that would require pants, now do you? my work does, but programming computers all day likely doesn't, does it?

Nope, I could probably wear a skirt in, if I really wanted to, but why? My current wardrobe works reasonable well, I've got no real complaints, other than the belt, but I'm not sure what to do about that, other than take it off. There is no real dress code where I work, I certainly dress above what's expected of me.

but this begs the question then, does a woman have to fuss with her appearance, wear make up, etc?

Yes, because woman are judged on thier physical beauty more than men. This isn't just cultural, because women bear the children. So anything that enhances that is good for the woman. Does that mean she has to have the perfect set of shoes, and the right earrings, or lipstick? I don't think so. I personally find it vain and pretentous when a woman spends a lot of time on her appearance. I might tease your husband about his approach too, for the same reason.

I also might be setting up a double standard because I expect a woman to look drop dead gorgeous, and yet not doing anything to achieve this state. I'll have to think about this one a bit.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-14 6:59 PM
JackieCat
Posted 2006-02-15 6:49 AM (#43709 - in reply to #43688)

Extreme Veteran

zoebird - 2006-02-14 4:53 PM

JackieCat - 2006-02-14 2:14 PM

but this begs the question then, does a woman have to fuss with her appearance, wear make up, etc? is there something inherent in women that makes this necessary, or is this simply another aspect of gender stratification, meaning heaped on actions and outward displays to demonstrate differences between the sexes?

honestly, i don't wear make up, i don't fuss too much over clothing (i'm pretty simple about it really), and i don't do anything with my hair, and i shave my legs occassionally. seriously, my husband cares far more about his appearance than i do about mine. If i'm clean and neat, i'm happy. He thinks about what he's going to wear, what goes with what, he has a whole skin-care regime, he's picky about his hair/hairstyle, he loves jewelry. . .get the idea? It doesn't make him less masculine or me less feminine because we're different than our common social gender constructs.

right?

My husband feels like he gets a pass from "society" (for lack of a better word) regarding all the stuff that your husband is into. Not that he goes around looking like a vagrant- he doesn't just throw clothes on at random or leave his hair uncut or uncombed. He just doesn't spend an excessive amount of time considering these matters. And he's glad that makes him fit right in to what most (actually, these days I don't know if it even is most men, as many men seems to be getting more into grooming, etc.) or many are doing. He's happy being a Great Renunciate.

Anyhoo . . . I thought "masculine" and "feminine" WERE "common social gender constructs."