Savasana in home practice
lilybart
Posted 2007-12-14 10:47 AM (#100774)
Subject: Savasana in home practice

Hello everyone,
I'm glad to have found this forum. I have been practicing Vinyasa yoga for four months now and know that yoga is something I would like to practice for the rest of my life. I have really fallen in love with it. I dealt with anorexia as a college student about 7 years ago and wish that I had discovered yoga earlier for the purposes of recovery and self-awareness. It has taken many years to shake off the bits and pieces of the anorexic mindset, even after I reached a normal weight and my eating improved.
My question is about savasana, and although the background on the history of my eating disorder may seem irrelevant, I think it might be linked. I attend a yoga class once (occasionally twice) a week, and then practice at home with DVDs or on my own about 3 or 4 times a week. When I'm at the yoga studio, about 75% of the time I can "let go" enough to really relax into savasana. At home, in my smallish apartment (which I share with my boyfriend/partner), I almost never achieve relaxation in savasana. In fact, I have stopped adding it to my practice.
Now, if yoga has taught me anything so far... it's that the things that seem most challenging for me are the things that I need to examine and try. (Another insight into my personality: inversions are fun for me, while forward bends have proved much more challenging). I feel like I still need to slow down into the yoga, let go of some of the control. I love, love, love my class and studio, but it is very important to me to have a home practice that I can return to, and I would like to include savasana in my personal practice.
Any suggestions? It is also quite cold in my house and I have to practice in a room which my (wonderful) boyfriend walks through from time to time, so I always feel the possibility of interruption. Anyone else have this problem or any insights? I look forward to hearing back.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-12-14 11:43 AM (#100776 - in reply to #100774)
Subject: RE: Savasana in home practice

For starters, if you want to do it you need to do it. It definitely won't happen if you're not doing it. Expect that some times will be better than others, and that's ok. It's practice, and things should get better with practice.

As far as cold, put a blanket over you during Savasana. Many people do this even in studios. Use any other props that make you comfy, like something under the knees, neck, whatever. You can even try different positions, like having your knees up or reclining bound angle and see if that helps.

And as far as possible interruptions, don't think of them as interruptions, think of them as an opportunity or challenge, an exercise in focusing.

One thing you might also try, if you can play music in that room, is some type of yoga nidra CD. You may have to try a few to find one that you like. I'm not sure if it is strictly considered Savasana, but I've occasionally had teachers do this at the end of class and it can be very nice.

Edited by aystam 2007-12-14 11:48 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-12-14 11:43 AM (#100777 - in reply to #100774)

PM Me.

Posted 2007-12-14 11:45 AM (#100779 - in reply to #100774)

Welcome to yoga and the forum Skye! You have answered your own question as to why savasana is difficult for you at home: your on your own there in a cold room with no teacher to create a quiet, safe environment and to insure no interruptions. Until you can establish such a place, it's going to be tough to relax.
parihar
Posted 2008-03-01 9:55 PM (#104217 - in reply to #100774)

there are a few things to be considered while doing shavasana--

1. You don't do it in the starting shavasana is done between other asanas and pranayaams so as to relax the body and getting ready for the next pose.

2. The main feeling while doing shavasana is to CONCENTRATE that each and every cell of your body is relaxing.. so try putting the same 'thought' in practice it might help.

3. Practice yoga early morning after morning ablutions... and the place (room) should have proper ventilation and light (its even better if your house is near trees).

Nature's sound (that of air, trees, birds chirping) are the best sounds that you hear while do shavasana or any other type of pose/practice.

Sati Suloshana
Posted 2008-03-14 2:36 PM (#104914 - in reply to #100774)

I recommend David Swenson's Short Forms DVD. He has a very soothing voice & a great savasana. It's ashtanga; personally there are some of the poses I don't really do such as tolasana, but in the main it's got a great flow & for ashtanga it's not killer. You can always just put on the savasana by itself.

If you don't do savasana you should (in my opinion ) do something else to close your practice & quiet the body down. Personally I think Shoulderstand, plow, a couple of easy twists, & a relatively soft Paschimotanasana (seated forward bend) can suffice. Legs up the wall for a few minutes is also good.
callofsedona
Posted 2014-11-10 11:09 PM (#211768 - in reply to #100774)
Subject: Re: Savasana in home practice

Veteran

Thanks for the share buddy, i enjoy reading this.