A free online training center
nabha
Posted 2008-06-06 5:32 PM (#108203)
Subject: A free online training center

Could I ask for advice on something?

I'm creating an online section for a yoga retreat website with around 100 articles, and question and answer pages. It will have a lot of free advice for yoga teachers. (It isn't intended to replace an actual yoga teacher training!)

The question I have is: what would you like to see in an online training center for yoga teachers? What would most interest you? What would make it incredibly useful and awesome?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
idance
Posted 2008-06-13 2:40 PM (#108382 - in reply to #108203)
Subject: RE: A free online training center

1. Relaxation Scripts (i often feel I am just saying the same thing over and over)

2. Relaxation Techniques

3. Useful Cueing Techniques

4. New music suggestions
nabha
Posted 2008-06-13 2:45 PM (#108383 - in reply to #108382)
Subject: RE: A free online training cen

Those are excellent ideas. I know that music suggestions will be very easy to think up. And I bet we have relaxation scripts already typed up, also. Thanks.

I'm not a yoga teacher myself, though I do practice yoga on occasion -- what are cueing techniques?
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-13 4:06 PM (#108391 - in reply to #108203)

Before I give my input,

Question1: What is the objective of creating an Online Training Center for Yoga Teachers?

Question2: If you are interested in making such a site, why are you NOT taking any Yoga Teacher Training of some kind?

Question3: Why are you not regularly practicing Yoga?

nabha - 2008-06-06 5:32 PM

The question I have is: what would you like to see in an online training center for yoga teachers? What would most interest you? What would make it incredibly useful and awesome?
nucleareggset
Posted 2008-06-13 5:55 PM (#108394 - in reply to #108203)

I don't think there's any way to assume from this post that the original poster hasn't taken teacher training or isn't currently taking even more training. Or that there's any reason to assume that he/she doesn't have a regular yoga practice. Nothing states that these things aren't being done. I'm actively working on my business website, while still pursuing teacher training (having just finished my first and signed up for my second two and a half months from now), teaching, and doing my own practice. So, you can do lots of things at once. ;)

I think that an online training center should share "tips and tricks" for dealing with tricky situations you come across with. All kinds of modifications (for tight students and bendy students), all kinds of variations/substitutions (for injuries and contraindications), all kinds of assists/prop usage to help teach the right actions. Sharing stories on working with reluctant, scared, aggressive, or competitive students, for instance, may be good. And sharing what has worked or not worked on sharing philosophy in a class setting would be lovely. Ideas are always good!
nabha
Posted 2008-06-13 6:58 PM (#108396 - in reply to #108203)

Hi Kulkarnn and Nucleareggset (what a name!), thanks for your responses.

So... since you've asked, let me explain a little about this project. It is being created for the yoga retreat. Having it there will do a few things, but its primary purpose, from my perspective, is for it to be useful to yoga teachers.

I'm not the writer of any of the pages (though I am a yogi) -- Kulkarnn, you are right in thinking (if I'm interpreting you right) that I would have to be a highly trained yoga teacher to be creating this all from scratch! -- but I'm trying to do my best to get an idea of what yoga teachers like you want or need in this kind of resource. Then I can pass this information along, use it to make suggestions for new pages, etc. etc.

Thanks for those comments, Nucleareggset. We've been trying to think of the right categories to separate our articles and question-and-answer pages into, as well as what articles are most interesting to people, and what you've said is very helpful that way. (Congratulations on finishing your teacher training, by the way...)

I'll be in seclusion for the next week, so I won't be able to keep responding, but thank you to everyone for sharing their thoughts and well-wishes.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-13 11:43 PM (#108400 - in reply to #108394)

Dear NES:
===> I'm not a yoga teacher myself, though I do practice yoga on occasion

nucleareggset - 2008-06-13 5:55 PM

I don't think there's any way to assume from this post that the original poster hasn't taken teacher training or isn't currently taking even more training. Or that there's any reason to assume that he/she doesn't have a regular yoga practice. Nothing states that these things aren't being done.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-06-13 11:47 PM (#108401 - in reply to #108203)

Thanks nabha: Since you are interested in what teachers like me would look for in such a website, I can only think of the following:

- Addresses of various Retreat Centers

- Description of various facilities each center provides and the objectives of each Retreat Center.

- Definitely Cost involved for Teachers and or students for utilizing these centers

Best Luck
idance
Posted 2008-06-16 3:12 PM (#108444 - in reply to #108383)

By Cueing - I meant ways to describe a posture or exercise so that it makes sense to the student. Such as "point the tailbone towards the floor" as opposed to "tuck your bottom under"
tourist
Posted 2008-06-16 9:05 PM (#108447 - in reply to #108444)

Expert Yogi

idance - in that example it really helps to look at an anatomy chart: http://www.bartelby.com/ is a great online resource. Look at http://www.bartleby.com/107/illus111.html and you'll see that it wouldn't make much sense to tell people to point the tailbone toward the floor. I have heard teachers use the instruction to bring the tip of the tailbone forward, which I also don't really like, at least for beginners, and one has tried to explain the wild idea of bringing the tip of the tailbone up the front of the spine. I know what she is getting at, but again, not that useful. I tell students to find the sitting bones (ischial tuberosities) and take those toward the floor. Nick may come in a tell me this is also useless, but it works for my students.

Posted 2008-06-17 1:21 PM (#108465 - in reply to #108203)

i actually use the cue of pointing the tailbone to the floor, which works well with my students.

i find that most people dont' know the exact anatomy of it (particularly beginners, who may not even know they have a tail bone), and that this gives them the idea that they're not tucking or squeezing their bottoms and pushing the pelvis forward, but trying the tailbone slightly forward (for most people) or slightly backward (if they're already pelvis pushers) and then lifting out of the hips with the spine.

but hey, apparently talking about Japanese Ham Sandwiches makes sense to some people.
idance
Posted 2008-06-17 2:20 PM (#108468 - in reply to #108203)

"tailbone towards the floor" cue is all relative to what your trying to get across. I don't like the cue "tuck the bottom under" so sometimes I willuse "tailbone towards the floor" . I tend to use that cue more often in a ballet setting but have used it in yoga and fitness classes as well. Cues are only as effective as the listener and the demonstrator.......but they help. People interpret things differently.

Posted 2008-06-17 2:57 PM (#108472 - in reply to #108203)

look, i said Japanese HAM sandwiches, not JAPANESE ham sandwiches.

lol
tourist
Posted 2008-06-17 6:49 PM (#108479 - in reply to #108472)

Expert Yogi

Are you sure it wasn't Japanese ham SANDwiches?

Posted 2008-06-18 9:31 AM (#108503 - in reply to #108203)

could have been.

i just love it when we talk about language because it really is about what works and what doesn't work for some people. i remember saying this one instruction many times. one student pointed out that ti was the same words, just different intonations and rhythms.

what was interesting to her is that when she observed the class, on the first instruction these folks would get it. then i'd repeat with a different intonation, and another group would get it, and then i'd repeat again with a different way of saying it and a few others would get into it.

same words, you know? weird.
tourist
Posted 2008-06-18 10:03 AM (#108505 - in reply to #108503)

Expert Yogi

Very true.
Cyndi
Posted 2008-06-18 4:14 PM (#108522 - in reply to #108465)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2008-06-17 1:21 PM

but hey, apparently talking about Japanese Ham Sandwiches makes sense to some people.

It's funny you should say that ZB...cause when I first started Bikram, I knew EXACTLY what that meant. After of course I figured out it was a forward bend, and I cringed every time I heard it...not because of the name....but because it hurt like hell!! Some things in life...or lives, you NEVER forget,

Posted 2008-06-19 1:46 PM (#108544 - in reply to #108203)

right; it just makes sense to some people.

a friend of mine was subbing at a bikram studio and needed to learn the script in order to sub. she asked "what does that mean?" i had no idea, and neither did the teacher, but we guessed that it means something like "smashed up" or "folded" in foward bend, you know, trying to get close together.

i didn't know that the japanese ate ham sandwiches that way. anyway, ithink it's funny--but not in a 'making fun of' way. it's just a quirk of the dialogue that i think is amusing.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-16 6:43 AM (#208686 - in reply to #108203)

Regular

I would like to see complete forms/poses along with the procedure for performing that particular yoga form/pose. Images and videos will be a added advantage for your site.