opening up a hot yoga studio
kderenzy
Posted 2009-08-21 6:37 PM (#117860)
Subject: opening up a hot yoga studio

I am interested in opening a hot yoga studio and had a question about the heating system. What do you prefer and why? I have talked one studio owner and she likes the electrical HVAC unit. I live in the east coast and elctrical sounds expensive. What do you feel about radiant heat panels? ceiling fans? and steam humidifers? Also any input in opening a studio would be helpful. I want to learn from other's past mistakes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
byd
Posted 2009-08-21 10:51 PM (#117863 - in reply to #117860)
Subject: Re: opening up a hot yoga studio

Best thing to do is get to know someone who owns/operates a Bikram or "hot" yoga studio. Many of us will be forthcoming and helpful but it's a lot to ask in a general public forum. Opening any business is a big venture and there are many, many factors to consider. I sent you a private email (sorry it took so long) with a resource for learning about radiant heat panels. Call them and ask for Richard Watson. He will help you with the heat questions.

When it comes to humdifiers or de-humidifiers my advice is to think big. Don't expect to get away with small portable units -- they don't work well and, in my experience, will need to be replaced frequently.
yogabrian
Posted 2009-08-22 2:56 AM (#117865 - in reply to #117860)

BYD,

Are you using on enerjoy panels to heat your entire studio? I have 2 large panels, which I love and I actually plan on ordering more. How many panels do you use to heat your place to 105? Looking to get my place only 90 by 9 am. The heat I have is REALLY good but on cold sf days, 10 ams can get a little tepid, with on 2 4x6 ft panels.

Just a note about Ricarad Watson. He tends to be a little condensending. Have your contractor or electrician talk to him direct. It saves TONS of time.
kderenzy
Posted 2009-08-22 6:29 AM (#117866 - in reply to #117863)

Thanks for getting back to me. I know starting a yoga business is a big project. I was hesitant to ask local businesses because of the competition factor. I will talk to them and see how helpful they are. (We don't have any Bikram studio in my general area.) I appreciate your input. Thanks again!
kderenzy
Posted 2009-08-22 6:39 AM (#117867 - in reply to #117865)

Right now I don't have a studio. I'm in the process of finding a location. I am serious about one place which used to be a curves studio. It is approximately a 1,000 sq feet. It has a drop ceiling and is heated with a gas furnance. I have gone the to the website and looked at the enerjoy panel and they look good and would probably work at the location I am interested in. The yoga studio I go to has 13-15 panels and I believe the room temp gets up to at least 100 degrees. Thanks for the tip about Richard Watson.
Jenks
Posted 2012-01-04 10:51 PM (#209759 - in reply to #117860)

New User

Hi kderenzy, could you send me your email ad. Seen this forum and wondered how you was getting on
ilchileesedona
Posted 2013-12-06 1:09 AM (#211059 - in reply to #117867)

Veteran

kderenzy - 2009-08-22 6:39 AM

Right now I don't have a studio. I'm in the process of finding a location. I am serious about one place which used to be a curves studio. It is approximately a 1,000 sq feet. It has a drop ceiling and is heated with a gas furnance. I have gone the to the website and looked at the enerjoy panel and they look good and would probably work at the location I am interested in. The yoga studio I go to has 13-15 panels and I believe the room temp gets up to at least 100 degrees. Thanks for the tip about Richard Watson.

Great insight!