YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

been there
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

yogi_bear
Posted 2004-03-14 3:05 PM (#4457)
Subject: been there

I also live in a small town and have rented many videos form local stores and even from the libary. There is no place where I live that gives class. I would have to make a 2 hour drive (round trip) to take classes and I do not have time for that. I have bought book and videos form the net, but I've been doing them for so long. Then I started pilates to do somethiong new. It is very hard for me to follow the books and flash cards I have. Is there anybody out there that has some advice? I really want to take a class, but do not have the time or money to spear. Please help me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-14 8:51 PM (#4465 - in reply to #4457)
Subject: RE: been there

You might find this post handy. It's how to use a yoga video if you're at home alone. They're not like aerobics videos where you just throw yourself into them. Click here.

In the meanwhile, I suggest and recommend that if you cannot drive two hours for classes -- which is understandable -- get the nearest yoga studios' web sites bookmarked so you can at least attend their weekend workshops. There is absolutely no replacement for a teacher. Period. Yoga is just not like 'normal' physical activity. There are ways to do it and progress, ways to do it and enjoy it, ways to do it and just create harm in the body. There's no way you can learn this from a book or most home practices.

I drive 35 miles to my classes. Sometimes, depending upon Washington, DC traffic, it takes 40 minutes, sometimes as long as 2 to 2.5 hours. I keep going and plan ahead. I've been practicing for years, but wouldn't give up teacher input for anything. For me, if the drive were only 2 hours round trip I'd be into it. But then I don't have kids and you might.

Goo luck.

Christine

Posted 2004-03-15 9:51 AM (#4472 - in reply to #4457)

As YogaDancer discussed, being in the class is the way to go. Many if not most offer free or greatly discounted rates class for helping around the studio.

yogi_bear - 2004-03-14 2:05 PM

I also live in a small town and have rented many videos form local stores and even from the libary. There is no place where I live that gives class. I would have to make a 2 hour drive (round trip) to take classes and I do not have time for that. I have bought book and videos form the net, but I've been doing them for so long. Then I started pilates to do somethiong new. It is very hard for me to follow the books and flash cards I have. Is there anybody out there that has some advice? I really want to take a class, but do not have the time or money to spear. Please help me.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-15 9:54 AM (#4473 - in reply to #4457)

Bruce is correct. I do a work study at one studio. I give them 2 hours a week where I get to sit around and talk to people about yoga. Tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

In exchange, I get a class a session. I think I get the better end of the deal -- despite the commute!

Christine

Posted 2004-03-15 10:06 AM (#4475 - in reply to #4473)

What a life Christine! Do you sit cross-legged on a pile of pillows and dispense the wisdom?
I do a lot of computer work and plumbing for my Bikram studio but don't take the free lessons, leave that for people who need that--I will NOT turn down an Odwalla lime juice tho--LOVE 'em.

YogaDancer - 2004-03-15 8:54 AM

Bruce is correct. I do a work study at one studio. I give them 2 hours a week where I get to sit around and talk to people about yoga. Tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

In exchange, I get a class a session. I think I get the better end of the deal -- despite the commute!

Christine
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-15 10:26 AM (#4476 - in reply to #4457)

No, not pillows. I'm to antsy to sit still on them.
I don't work, so I try to make life easier on my Most Wonderful Husband by paying for my yoga lessons in barter. It all works out in the end! They're good to me because I try to help out when they're in a pinch.

I drive down the road with my left foot on the ceiling up by the visor. I was stuck in traffic recently and realized this was causing a little stir. Particularly when I noticed a car was pacing me. I'm not sure who was driving, because there were 2 adult faces (mouths wide open) pressed against the passenger window in front, and 3 children's faces pressed against the back window. So I bent my knee and wiggled my toes at them, put the foot back and changed lanes. I just cannot hold still. Seated meditation or desk work is a nightmare for me!

I wonder what they told their friends they saw on their vacation to Washington, DC.....

Christine

Posted 2004-03-15 10:42 AM (#4477 - in reply to #4476)

Good Lord! They probably thought you were en route to Cirgue d'Soleil! Hey, since I've been getting more limber, my wife calls me "Most Wonderful Husband" as well

YogaDancer - 2004-03-15 9:26 AM

No, not pillows. I'm to antsy to sit still on them.
I don't work, so I try to make life easier on my Most Wonderful Husband by paying for my yoga lessons in barter. It all works out in the end! They're good to me because I try to help out when they're in a pinch.

I drive down the road with my left foot on the ceiling up by the visor. I was stuck in traffic recently and realized this was causing a little stir. Particularly when I noticed a car was pacing me. I'm not sure who was driving, because there were 2 adult faces (mouths wide open) pressed against the passenger window in front, and 3 children's faces pressed against the back window. So I bent my knee and wiggled my toes at them, put the foot back and changed lanes. I just cannot hold still. Seated meditation or desk work is a nightmare for me!

I wonder what they told their friends they saw on their vacation to Washington, DC.....

Christine
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-15 10:55 AM (#4478 - in reply to #4457)

I think this might be bordering on too much information, buddy-boy.

We'll let this poor poster soak all this in and hopefully find a teacher, OK?

Christine

Posted 2004-03-15 10:59 AM (#4479 - in reply to #4478)

Yes oh wise teacher.

YogaDancer - 2004-03-15 9:55 AM

I think this might be bordering on too much information, buddy-boy.

We'll let this poor poster soak all this in and hopefully find a teacher, OK?

Christine
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)