YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spirit is willing but the body is fat!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

vicki1759
Posted 2003-12-27 10:38 PM (#2949)
Subject: Spirit is willing but the body is fat!

Need to do something, or I am really in trouble!! Way over weight and want to start yoga..do not know if it is feasable because I have had both knees replaced and bend in left knee is not 100% Bought new copy of "Yoga" magazine and has large sized women in an article, so I need to read it, but wanted your feedback...What do you think? Will weight loss happen if movement is compromised? Thanks Vicki
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kevin
Posted 2004-02-12 1:34 PM (#3696 - in reply to #2949)
Subject: RE: Spirit is willing but the body is fat!

Absolutely yoga can help even if range of motion is limited.

Try starting out with Chair yoga. Check you local studios to see if they offer it. Otherwise check the internet for books or video on the subject. I have a well developed physical yoga practice, and when I did a chair yoga class I was sweating. So even while sitting in the chair you can get your heart rate up and you will begin to burn fat while gently and easefuly increasing your range of motion and flexibility.

Best of luck to you,
Kevin
landqueen
Posted 2004-02-15 1:20 PM (#3759 - in reply to #2949)

Namaste Vicki:
I also am overweight and not very flexible. I bought the yoga and weight loss dvd and it's wonderful! I have to do full modification mode which uses the props to get into the various poses, but the workout is good nonetheless. I really like it because the two women who do the 1/2 and 1/4 modification are full figured women. I am not close to any studios and am learning on my own and all the videos I've been looking at have folks in them who are already in shape, which was discouraging. This dvd has turned things around for me. Be blessed!

Posted 2004-03-08 2:29 PM (#4342 - in reply to #2949)

Behold--nowhere is safe from spam.
Balen
Posted 2004-03-08 4:09 PM (#4343 - in reply to #2949)

GAH

You know I come here as part as an escape and just to read post in a cool environment free of the world. Then see spam here from a poster. I don’t want to be ugly but I don’t want to see this crap either. Sorry all for the rash tone just hate spam.

Sorry Vicki 1759 that this idiot spamed your post.

Please go away if you want to spam

Edited by Balen 2004-03-08 4:15 PM

Posted 2004-03-08 7:16 PM (#4347 - in reply to #4343)

I even got a PM with the same mesage after I posted--kinda creative though. I tipped the administrator.
Balen - 2004-03-08 3:09 PM

GAH

You know I come here as part as an escape and just to read post in a cool environment free of the world. Then see spam here from a poster. I don’t want to be ugly but I don’t want to see this crap either. Sorry all for the rash tone just hate spam.

Sorry Vicki 1759 that this idiot spamed your post.

Please go away if you want to spam

Piel
Posted 2004-03-17 5:46 PM (#4553 - in reply to #2949)

Forum Administrator

yup - i took care of it. he's gone and so are all his postings. sorry about the delay in getting it done.
Balen
Posted 2004-03-17 6:21 PM (#4555 - in reply to #2949)

/em Hugs the Admin
afroyogi
Posted 2004-03-18 4:23 PM (#4596 - in reply to #2949)

> Will weight loss happen if movement is compromised?
Of course it will, Vicki! There are a few things more about weight loss though:
1. It depends on how often you do yoga. Once a week will probably not show much of a success. Yoga should be practiced as often as possible, 2-3 times a day if you want.
2. Yoga brings also a change in lifestyle. After a while you will probably change your diet and enjoy physical activities much more. All these changes together will give you a new body feeling and eventually some weight loss.
3. Compromised movement is not an issue in yoga. I guess you have given up on looking like a starving indian yogi anyways - I did it. So don't try to do the asanas in the most spectacular way but rather try YOUR best. Everybody flexes as far as he/she can and that's good enough. Always stop when it starts to hurt! You will see that eventually your flexibility will become less restricted and you are able to move more freely.
4. Most important: To start yoga with the goal to get rid of some unwanted masses is wrong! Just do yoga for the fun of it and forget about the rest. Don't stress and please don't go on the scale after each session. The weight loss will happen naturally.
5. About your knees please first consult your doctor before you start practicing. And tell your teacher about it when you start. He or she will know which asanas you better should sit out and which ones are especially good for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)