YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-30 12:24 PM (#8003)
Subject: heat

just out of curosity, did you all know that Bikram did not used to heat his room so hot when he first started in the 70's and 80's? Even when first started 5 years ago, the room where hot but usually not over 98. On a hot day it might hit 100-105. Interesting how it has changed in the last 5 years.

Edited by yogabrian 2004-06-30 12:25 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-30 2:07 PM (#8014 - in reply to #8003)
Subject: RE: heat

COmbine his heat evolution with the law of physics--what goes up, must come down--maybe 5 years from now will be doing arctic Bikram.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-06-30 8:09 PM (#8026 - in reply to #8003)

I didn't know that Bikram used to keep the heat lower but it doesn't surprise me. From what I have heard about him, he seems to change his mind a lot. The last time I looked at his website (maybe a couple of weeks ago) his suggestion for temp was 105 degrees with 60% humidity. I have hiked in Hawaii when the humidity was 80 to 90 % and temps about the same and it was BRUTAL. I can't imagine 105 temp plus 60% humidity for a Bikram class! Lately, a lot of the classes I have been taking have been 110 to 116 with probably 20 - 30 % humidity. As I have said before, I don't think that the most challenging thing about a Bikram class should be the heat.

However..............

I decided to stop whining about the heat (even if it was only in my own mind) and just accept it as it was for each class (and it does vary) as part of my practice. It has helped me to think that way - to just go with the flow.

Posted 2004-06-30 8:45 PM (#8027 - in reply to #8026)

What an applicable topic. I went to class this afternoon at 4:30PM--lot of people, and days of rain here in San ANtonio--the humidity was awful in the studio. Mid-savasana and I had ZERO energy after that--felt nauseous and it didn't get any better--got up and left. The teacher walked by on occasion and she was drenched which was unusual for her--seems if I were a teacher, I'd adjust the environment to fit the climate.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-07-01 4:02 PM (#8048 - in reply to #8003)

Bruce,

Do they have a de-humidifier in the studio? The studio I go to only has a humidifier. The owner has been warning us about how humid it will be during our monsoon season here, which lasts for 2 -3 months and will be starting soon. When she cranks up the humidity she says she is doing us a favor to prepare us for the monsoon. Since I started Bikram last October, this will be my first "Bikram monsoon". I can hardly wait

Too bad you felt pukey. That's no fun.

Posted 2004-07-01 4:12 PM (#8049 - in reply to #8048)

only an humidifier which I don't understand when the weather here takes care of that. However, I think yesterdays crash and burn is being revealed to be caused by...a summer cold! Oh no! My ears and throat are all scratchy and the nose is a running today.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-07-01 6:22 PM (#8054 - in reply to #8003)

Yeah - those summer colds are a bummer. I had one a month or so ago. But, I still did my 3 practice sessions a week. Just took a bandana to blow my nose on. I actually felt fine except for not being able to breathe properly. Hope you feel better soon.

So, it's humid there in your part of Texas? It's very dry here except for the monsoon season and the little rain in the winter.

Posted 2004-07-01 7:08 PM (#8056 - in reply to #8054)

LOL regarding the bandana booger blanket! Folks I practice with will do just about anything rather than blow their nose during class. Awhile back, my dainty little blonde teacher had a cold and after class ran outside and released a construction worker hack...which I happened to witness. She says then, "Attractive huh?" Now that you mention it, I did take a break from class yesterday to do that--never needed to before--should have suspected a cold coming.

As for the humidity, we've had the third heaviest rainfall in history for June....nearly 100% day in and day out. It's cyclical here--next summer we may be bone dry.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-07-01 7:35 PM (#8059 - in reply to #8003)

Normally, when I don't have a cold, my nose seems to run a little but I think it's just sweat so I just use my fingers to blow it a little a few times during class. Gross huh? Gotta breathe! And when I have a cold, I absolutely HAVE to blow or else I would be heavy breathing through my mouth or passing out from lack of oxygen!

I like that "booger blanket" thing. Of course, ladies don't have "boogers". We just get "debris" in our noses.

Posted 2004-07-01 7:41 PM (#8060 - in reply to #8059)

And you don't sweat, you glisten...hey, gotta stop this as my wife just left yesterday for 3 weeks and it's WAY too early for me to be having randy thoughts. Kinda funny but without my glasses, I can't see squat. I'm doing my Bikram thing, focusing on myself cause that's all I can see. BUT, sometimes before and after class, some real beauties appear and call my name (they hear it often in class and usually not in praise)--I'm always apologising for not recognizing them due to poor unaided eyesight. I thought about getting contacts but figured I'd just be distracted.
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-07-01 8:35 PM (#8061 - in reply to #8003)

I wish I could say I "glisten" but I sweat like a pig in Bikram classes!

Yes, you better behave yourself while you are home alone.

I wear contacts in class (the rigid kind) and they sometimes cause me problems if too much sweat gets in my eyes or a strand of hair gets in there. I have thought about just wearing my glasses for driving to class and then taking them off like you do. I still might try that sometime.

I'm taking my sweetie to a yoga class tonight. It's at a non-Bikram studio here that has a variety of classes. Never been to this one before. The class we are going to take is just called "Basics" so it should be pretty simple. His only other experience with yoga was 1 Bikram class which I took him to a few months ago. He made it through but did not care for the heat and never went back. So, I thought we could try some other types together, just in addition to my Bikram. I'll let you know how it goes.

Be good!
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-07-02 10:05 AM (#8068 - in reply to #8061)

Hey Kathy Ann --

How did the Anusara classes go? I'm guessing since I haven't heard anything about them that you were underwhelmed . . . Anusara is on the front cover of YJ this month.

You can post your reply on an Anusara thread if you want.

Peace,
Gwyn
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-07-02 3:30 PM (#8088 - in reply to #8003)

Hi Gwyn,

OK - since you asked.........

I will post on the other thread.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)