YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

online stretches - evaluate?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

bellabella
Posted 2004-12-02 12:00 AM (#13125)
Subject: online stretches - evaluate?

I have created a series of online exercizes called cafe yoga - the web address is
http://www.stressednot.com/cafeyogademo.htm
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me feedback on them - the response so far has been quite good

david
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-02 1:27 AM (#13130 - in reply to #13125)
Subject: RE: online stretches - evaluate?

Very unique visuals. For the back arch part, you might want to add a counterstretch to the backward. You might want to put the back arch maybe a little later in the sequencing as doing back arches or bends are better to do w/ the body warmer. Also, it might help to add how many breaths is recommended for each exercise for people who've never done yoga. A note of caution might help as well as sometimes some people don't know when to stop when they first start and are overzealous in trying to be a pretzel, and end up hurting themselves. Hope this feedback helps.

Namasté
tourist
Posted 2004-12-02 10:05 AM (#13140 - in reply to #13125)
Subject: RE: online stretches - evaluat

Expert Yogi

Interesting to watch. Not the sort of thing I would buy but if I did I would want to know the cost in Canadian dollars, please.
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-12-02 11:23 AM (#13141 - in reply to #13125)

Very Interesting!!!

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-12-05 7:01 PM (#13236 - in reply to #13125)

First, excellent visuals! Did you create them? This is also excellent desktop yoga, and I think you should bill it as such. Since you're already targeting companies to buy your CD, take it a bit farther and tell them why.

Next follow a couple of semantic suggestions. Simply how I would teach these little poses. I realize you're being as short, easy and concise as possible, so I just thought I'd throw them out.

Neck Side 2 side: I'd suggest keeping the chin parallel to the shoulder, rather than "in line." People tend to tilt their head when the neck muscles are tight, which only strains the neck a bit. It's a better, safer stretch to keep the head straight, chin parallel to the shoulder.

Neck 2 ear: Rather than head to shoulder, you might suggest ear to shoulder, slowly with chin lifted. Again, safer better stretch. "Up again" could be back to center, vertical or neutral.

Back Arches. I might also suggest them a tad bit later, but these arches are not intense, so I don't really think it matters. I would mention not to jut the hips forward and when moving side to side, to ground the opposite foot for a better stretch. I also suggest my students turn their belly button up to the sky to keep the chest open. You could also suggest grabbing wrists, etc., but it's unnecessary.

Fingertips Praying. Although your visual shows the palms coming apart to press the fingertips together, the wording doesn't mention it. This will have people pressing their fingers together, palms apart, hyperextending the fingers and ascerbating arthritis issues. I'd mention what your visual shows, the palms coming apart to press the fingertips.

Finally, an editorial comment. There is no such word as enthuse. Like irregardless, aint, and pro-active, they are now in the dictionary due to common (mis)use. However, one does not enthuse. One enjoys, revels in, is effusive, INfuses, but does not enthuse. One is enthusiastic just as one can be uncouth, but never "has couth." I hope you don't mind that correction, but I felt it goes towards professional presentation. Your movie and therefore product is well put together, but that error was the very first thing that caught my eye. I will happily refer your link to my office people.

Christine
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-05 7:25 PM (#13239 - in reply to #13236)

YogaDancer - 2004-12-05 4:01 PM

Finally, an editorial comment. There is no such word as enthuse. Like irregardless, aint, and pro-active, they are now in the dictionary due to common (mis)use. However, one does not enthuse. One enjoys, revels in, is effusive, INfuses, but does not enthuse. One is enthusiastic just as one can be uncouth, but never "has couth."

BTW: Ignoring yet another shameless sales plug, one would say "to purchas from me," not "myself."

Christine

You know, Christine, I should have had you as my English teacher when I first started learning the language. I still cannot understand the sense of parking in a driveway or driving in a parkway. Nor can I make sense of the past tense of hide being hid and not "hided." I'm pretty much a fluent speaker of English now, but I definitely do not grasp it like a native speaker. Hopefully, one day I'll have as a good a mastery of English as you do. (If any of this is incorrect, please feel free to correct. Part of the reason why I post is to practice writing in English.)

BTW: Were you once an English teacher or a publication editor? It sure seems like you have had experience in those fields.

Edited by itchytummy 2004-12-05 7:28 PM
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-12-05 7:40 PM (#13241 - in reply to #13239)

My mom was an English teacher. I come by it shamelessly and honestly. It is actually considered rude to correct grammer and/or spelling online unless it's to clarify a meaning. I really did offer this because the cafe yoga site is so polished, it was a shame to have such a glaring error on such a really well-put together site.

There are a heck of a lot of weird things in the English language. I think it is because it's such a conglomeration of French, English and German. Did you know that by congressional vote way back when, the national language became English over German by 4 votes? Interesting, huh? I always felt that if you French+German=English. French+English=German and English+German=French!

I remember being stung by a bee in Germany, in college. The word bee is Biene. The word leg is Beine. (Pronounching the 2nd vowel, unlike English.) However, I was screaming as I was beginning to choke to death, "Eine beine! Eine Biene! (a Leg! a Leg!). I also have a Spanish friend who was telling me her beau was the Chicken Manager in the restaurant. I realized she meant Kitchen Manager. Go figure!

You do pretty darned well, itchytummy, particularly given we mostly discuss a specialized subject here. For example, I speak restaurant Spanish, travel German, and hand-gesture French. I wish I could expand better on the former two, but I find I require immersion or I'm hopeless.

Anyway. I do hope BellaBella takes my comment as intended. And thank you for your compliment on my knowledge of the English language. I'd better have a pretty extensive knowledge or my mom would kick my behind all the way back to school!

Christine

Edited by YogaDancer 2004-12-05 7:42 PM
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-05 7:58 PM (#13246 - in reply to #13241)

YogaDancer - 2004-12-05 4:40 PM
I also have a Spanish friend who was telling me her beau was the Chicken Manager in the restaurant. I realized she meant Kitchen Manager. Go figure!

It's funny that you mentioned this. It reminds me of something that happened when I was an exchange student to Costa Rica at the age of 16. I had just arrived at the home of the host family I was to be staying with, when the father of the family decided that he wanted to practice his English while he was giving me a tour of the house. When we got to the kitchen, he said, "...And here's the chicken. You are welcome to anything in it." When I realized what he had meant I almost cracked up, but didn't because I didn't want to be rude. What a small world we live in.
tourist
Posted 2004-12-06 10:13 AM (#13270 - in reply to #13241)

Expert Yogi

Get up from the dining table, get down from your chair at the dining table - same thing but really only applies to little kids who do have to get "down" from their chairs. No wonder people have trouble learning English...

My Bulgarian friend used to have so much trouble with the long E sound - they don't have it in their language. When she came to Canada she worked at Dairy Queen decorating cakes. One day her boss came and heard her counting how many sheet cakes she had to do that day (out loud in English so she could practice). "One sh!t cake, two sh!t cakes..."
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-06 10:52 AM (#13274 - in reply to #13270)

Oh, the adventures of learning English!
bestwrin2003
Posted 2004-12-06 12:43 PM (#13278 - in reply to #13270)

hey my name is steve washington and i would like to know can you sewnd me some stretching regiments. i'd like to see what they are like before i buy the books. bestwrin2003@yahoo.com.thanks if you can
itchytummy
Posted 2004-12-06 10:51 PM (#13297 - in reply to #13270)

tourist - 2004-12-06 7:13 AM

"One sh!t cake, two sh!t cakes..."

Mmmmmm....sh!t cake!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)