YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Awkward Pose
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

laylie99
Posted 2006-06-01 12:36 PM (#54509)
Subject: Awkward Pose

When I am in awkward pose, on certain days, my hands shake a lot.

It's really distracting to the point where I have been squeezing my hands into fists to finish the pose - which I know I shouldn't do, but the shaking drives me crazy.

I briefly talked to my instructor who had a couple suggestions; don't drink coffee before class, try to work on focus and not to push too hard.

Any other tips on how to steady trembling hands?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-01 2:11 PM (#54521 - in reply to #54509)
Subject: RE: Awkward Pose

laylie wrote: Any other tips on how to steady trembling hands?

===> Does this happen only when you do Yoga or at other times?
johnb838
Posted 2006-06-01 3:22 PM (#54527 - in reply to #54509)

Hmmm... my legs shake on the second part -- tiptoes. They're getting better though. Haven't had problems with my hands shaking. It is a long time to have them extended though. Has it been happening continuously? Maybe you're just gaining the strength necessary for the arms straight position?
laylie99
Posted 2006-06-01 3:28 PM (#54529 - in reply to #54521)

kulkarnn - 2006-06-01 11:11 AM

Mostly during yoga. And usually, just in awkward pose.

My dad has had unsteady hands since before I can remember. He's been tested for everything (parkinson's, nerve disorders, etc) and eventually went to a neurologist who couldn't give him a diagnosis... so I suppose it could be mild version of a hereditary/familial tremor. ?

I think its strange that it only happens during class.

Maybe I'm concentrating too hard?

Posted 2006-06-01 4:50 PM (#54546 - in reply to #54509)

hey another bellinghamster!
i practice at yoga northwest...

something you might think about doing is focusing on rotating your arms towards the ceiling in awkward postures. from here, feel the opening in your chest, and the sensation of your arms locking into your shoulder socket. from here, rotate your forearms back towards the floor while keeping your upper arms locked into the shoulder socket.
from here, bring a sense of exploration into the pose. examine the lines of energy in your arms, notice how your arms seem to push forward and pull back at the same time. try to extend your consciousness into your arms as much as possible.
you may still be trembling, but you should have a much better idea of whats going on in your arms and shoulder girdle.

additionally, you might enjoy some of the free classes going on at Yoga Northwest between June 5 and 12. www.yoganorthwest.com

good luck!
laylie99
Posted 2006-06-01 5:30 PM (#54555 - in reply to #54546)

Thanks for the input...

Wow, free classes? And in Bellingham?
I'll definitely check it out one of these evenings.
Do you have a favorite instructor?

It's a small world. Or maybe just a small town.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-02 11:35 AM (#54649 - in reply to #54529)

Expert Yogi

Hi Lalie,

My legs shake sometimes in this posture. My instructor always comes to me and tells me to back off the posture some. The way to do that is to come up slightly. I like this posture because it has a nice way of re-aligning your joints in your legs and arms. Definitely concentrating too hard is not a good thing when doing Awkward pose or any posture for that matter. When you have signs like shaking and so forth, just back off and don't go so deep. I have found that when I don't over-push, my body relaxes naturally, therefore allowing myself to do the posture with great ease instead of forcing, pulling and straining..which is BS and should not be done. It's amazing how much mental stuff goes on when we are doing these asanas. When we release the mental stuff, everything flows right in line smoothly. I believe that most of our problems with our physical body's are mental.....not physical. Being physical is actually easy. Being mentally present at the same time of being physically present is the challenge. Guess that's why they call it Yoga huh??

Posted 2006-06-02 10:43 PM (#54708 - in reply to #54555)

i like lauron ray, and ingela abbott is simply amazing.
shes a senior instructor you know,
it is a small world and a small town.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-02 11:24 PM (#54714 - in reply to #54529)

laylie99 - 2006-06-01 3:28 PM

kulkarnn - 2006-06-01 11:11 AM

Mostly during yoga. And usually, just in awkward pose.

My dad has had unsteady hands since before I can remember. He's been tested for everything (parkinson's, nerve disorders, etc) and eventually went to a neurologist who couldn't give him a diagnosis... so I suppose it could be mild version of a hereditary/familial tremor. ?

I think its strange that it only happens during class.

Maybe I'm concentrating too hard?

===> Hmm. So, it happens at other times than Yoga, even though occassinally. And, it also happens in other poses than awkward pose (I do not know what this name means! That is awkward to me. There should be no pose with such a name.). So, your problem is NOT only Yoga. You might need some other life style changes, if you are willing to do them. If you are concerned only about yoga time, then you need modifications.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)