YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another menstruation question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

lanaturnher
Posted 2006-02-16 11:11 AM (#43867)
Subject: Another menstruation question

I started Bikram about two years ago, going very frequently—at least five times a week. But then I took a bit of a sabbatical for many reasons, one of which was that I was recovering from an eating disorder. I am pleased to say I have been in what I consider “remission” from this ED for over a year now. Yay me.

In any case, I returned to Bikram over two months ago and once again, I go quite frequently—five times a week or more if possible. My problem is that I have not yet gotten my period this month (took FOUR pregnancy tests—all negative). I have a doc appointment scheduled but am going crazy in the meantime trying to figure out what could be wrong. Wondering if anyone else has experienced a missed period after starting to go to yoga frequently. Wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on this (if perhaps dehydration or my ED has played a part?).

Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-03-08 3:53 PM (#46123 - in reply to #43867)
Subject: RE: Another menstruation question

did you loose your period when you had your ED? have you experienced a loss of your period due to your exercise regimens in the past? are you on, have you started or changed your hormonal birth control?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-08 3:59 PM (#46125 - in reply to #46123)

Expert Yogi

and what is your age?? are you going through or at the stage of menepause??
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-09 9:17 AM (#46207 - in reply to #43867)

Hi Sommer,

Yes, depending on your age your period could fluxuate a bunch.

An eating disorder could absolutely cause your body to stop your monthly cycle. When I was a vegetarian about 10 or so years ago my period stopped. I was a vegetarian for 3 years and my period stopped for 3 years. During that time in my life I worked on a farm, doing super strenuous physical labor. Bikram Yoga is super strenuous physical labor, too. I think the combo of not enough calories or not the "right" kind of calories and intense physical output is a combination that halts menstruation.

I like Bikram but why don't you build up your system with restorative yoga for now? And easy hiking. There's something about being outside, breathing fresh air and being around things that are blooming that's also restorative. (Oh, it might still be winter, depending on where you live.)

For the record, my period came back and I'm no longer vegetarian. Lamb is a good choice for women to build up their energy and blood. Beets are really good, too, and Cyndi has some good receipes for all kinds of nutritious foods..

lanaturnher
Posted 2006-03-30 4:41 PM (#48317 - in reply to #43867)

Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I am 26. I had an irregular period when I was entrenched in my ED. I have been on the wagon for over a year now and had been having regular periods until the Bikram craze. I love it, but just had to stop for a while. I've been spinning and doing a little jogging and rowing lately. Since doing so, I have noticed my body changing (not feeling as fit as when I did Bikram), but my mind and my energy is much better--as is my period. So I think I need to find a way to moderate. I just love how I feel after Bikram. It's addictive. I also think getting the right calories is hard for me. Especially in the protein department. Thanks again!
ally.
Posted 2006-04-08 1:45 AM (#48973 - in reply to #43867)

I have a girlfriend whos 17 year old daughter has an ED and she hasn't had her period for over a year. She still is struggling with the eating disorder though. Hope that helps... YAY for you that you found the strength to feel better about you and take care of you!
Nick
Posted 2006-04-24 3:10 AM (#50356 - in reply to #48317)

Hi Sommer,
There is a syndrome that is called the female athlete triad, which could aslo be called the female yogini triad in your case, because of the amount of yoga you are doing. The three components are disordered eating (which may progress as far as actually having an eating disorder), osteoporosis and ammenorrhea (absence of menstruation). I think that yoga can be attractive for people with eating disorders, and that maybe you should go to your doctor having shown him a list of what you have been eating for the last two weeks.
You mentioned protein, is it hard psychologically to get protein? There are some good protein shakes on the market, well actually just one that I know of (NASA used to use it for their astronauts) made by a company called Nature's sunshine, which provides all the essential amino acids-fantastic for vegetarians and vegans!
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)