YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sirsasana/headache
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

ania
Posted 2006-08-23 11:16 PM (#62655)
Subject: sirsasana/headache

hello
i have a question/problem and just had a thought that maybe here someone will know the answer...for the past few days the second i do sirsasana i get a weird pain in the back of my head (lower part). I thought maybe my sirsasana is not good, but hen i do a handstand or sarvangasana the same thing happens- that is whenever Im upside-down...any ideas?thank you very much!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-24 2:42 AM (#62668 - in reply to #62655)
Subject: RE: sirsasana/headache

There are a couple of possibilities. Though there are alwys a broader range of issues that could be involved with a headache. For example it could be a blood pressure issue. But muscularly...

The levator scapula originates on the first four cervical vertebrae. It's job it to elevate the shoulder blades. Your action with the shoulders in these three poses might be incorrect for lengthening the levator scapula.

Tell me, what action with the shoulder blades is consistent throughout these three poses.
That is to say, which way are you moving the shoulder blades in these poses?

It is also possible that the trapezius, which originates at the occipital ridge (generally speaking and not exclusively), might be causing the issue.

There are two basic actions with the shoulder blades in these three poses.

Tell me, how long have you been practicing and upon what have you based the decision to do Sirsasana and Adho Mukha Vrksasana? Are you doing Sarvangasana on a prop?

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-24 2:50 AM
ania
Posted 2006-08-24 4:21 AM (#62676 - in reply to #62655)

Well, I have been practising for a relatively short time (about a year and a half - Iyengar). Right now I am only practising at home, looking for a teacher in my area, but before I came to Japan I had two teachers I was practising with (in Poland).I started doing sirsasana after about 9 months of practise with them. They have given me sets of asanas to do on my own. as for sirsasana and sarvangasana (chair/blankets) I usually start my practice with those right after my period...
thank you.
ania
Posted 2006-08-24 4:30 AM (#62678 - in reply to #62655)

oh, for shoulder blades I press them towards my back, then try to widen them and pull towards the ceiling to make more space...

Posted 2006-08-25 3:00 AM (#62838 - in reply to #62678)

Okay Ania,

this is a better jumping off point. Thank you for an actual reply to my question. I appreciate you checking back in with the post.

If the actions you describe are the ones you engage once you are already inverted then that is fine. Shoulder blades up, away from the floor, apart using the serratus anterior, and in toward the rib cage (the third action less critical at this stage).

And you mention "chair" so I am wondering if you are doing Sirsasana between two chairs or some other modification?

While it is fine to invert, even desired, I would prefer my students to warm the body before Sirsasana and Sarvangasana. Surya Namaskar for three rounds and a couple of standing poses will handle it. In addition, some students are not ready to go up in Sirsasana but do so anyway. This isn't a function of strength exclusively. The student needs to be assessed for proper action and opening before being taken up for the first time. It is possible your teachers in Poland already did that. It's also possible it was not done at all. Who knows?

Also I'd be concerned abut your head placement. Tell me, what landmarks or teaching cues are you using to place the head (assuming you are doing Sirsasana on the floor/mat)? Linked to this piece is the state of your neck (cervical spine). Is it a healthy curve back there as far as you know?

Have you tried Ardha Sirsasana?
The foundation of the pose is the same but the feet walk up the wall and the legs come 90ยบ to the torso and parallel to the floor. I'm curious about you shifting to doing some warming poses first and trying a Sirsasana modification.

But generally speaking you have not said anything that alerts me right away relative to headaches.

ania - 2006-08-23 1:30 AM

Well, I have been practising for a relatively short time (about a year and a half - Iyengar). Right now I am only practising at home, looking for a teacher in my area, but before I came to Japan I had two teachers I was practising with (in Poland).I started doing sirsasana after about 9 months of practise with them. They have given me sets of asanas to do on my own. as for sirsasana and sarvangasana (chair/blankets) I usually start my practice with those right after my period...
thank you.

oh, for shoulder blades I press them towards my back, then try to widen them and pull towards the ceiling to make more space...

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-25 3:03 AM
ania
Posted 2006-08-25 3:52 AM (#62841 - in reply to #62655)

Hello, Thank you so much for all the information, it never happened before and I was a little concerned. I think I will try do not to start with sirsasana next time.
Chair- I meant I use it for sarvangasana.
I have never tried Ardha Sirsasana, but will do. Also I know that back home normally the teachers were very careful before letting someone do sirsasana for the first time and we worked on it quite a lot before I left, so Im guessing everything was in order.
Any ideas for dos and donts when practising on my own for such a beginner?
I appreaciate your answering.Pretty much noone to consult where Im at right now.
have a good day...

Posted 2006-08-26 3:36 AM (#62880 - in reply to #62841)

Also I failed to inquire about the nature of your breath.
It is common with students to have headaches from not moving the breath fully.

Sounds like you are clear with your teachers in terms of Sirsasana.

Be gentle with yourself. Pay attention in your poses. Watch transitions. Absolutely have 10 minutes of savasana no matter what.

ania - 2006-08-24 12:52 AM

Hello, Thank you so much for all the information, it never happened before and I was a little concerned. I think I will try do not to start with sirsasana next time.
Chair- I meant I use it for sarvangasana.
I have never tried Ardha Sirsasana, but will do. Also I know that back home normally the teachers were very careful before letting someone do sirsasana for the first time and we worked on it quite a lot before I left, so Im guessing everything was in order.
Any ideas for dos and donts when practising on my own for such a beginner?
I appreaciate your answering.Pretty much noone to consult where Im at right now.
have a good day...
tourist
Posted 2006-08-26 10:55 AM (#62906 - in reply to #62841)

Expert Yogi

ania - it can be a very small difference in how you place your head or the surface you are working on. I went with a blanket plus mat for a little while and found that helpful. If the board ever gets to be working properly again, you could send us photos, which would be helpful for us to see.
ania
Posted 2006-09-01 4:24 AM (#63345 - in reply to #62655)

Thank you again. im not sure what happened, but it seems that if I do do Sirsasana after a little bit of warming up it works so much better for me. It was a strange pain, maybe not muscular at all, I dont know. Or maybe it just was blood pressure or something-is that possible?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)