YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not losing fat
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

mia1181
Posted 2007-07-24 5:56 PM (#92459)
Subject: Not losing fat

Okay so I started Bikram as just another way to exercise. But now it has become the only way I like to exercise. I used to run 3-4 times a week for about 20-30 minutes. But that was something I did because I felt I "had" to. But discovering Bikram I feel like I get a great workout and I actually want/love to do it. So I have stopped running altogether.

Okay so my goal is not to lose weight I am very happy with my size at 5'4 and 122. But I would love to lower my body fat. So now I do Bikram 3-4 times a week and my weight is the same. I know weight and body fat are different but I really don't feel like my body is changing at all. I still have a reasonable amount of soreness after each class but is that not muscle building, but rather stretching. Is there a difference?

Anyway I don't diet so I was wondering if its possible that I am just eating more to make up for the extra calories I am burning without noticing it.

Also I have just started weighing myself before and after class and I always weigh about 2 lbs. less right after class. Is that all water? Could I be burning muscle too?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
libragirl
Posted 2007-07-24 6:58 PM (#92465 - in reply to #92459)
Subject: RE: Not losing fat

maybe you don't need to lose fat? At 5'4" and 122, unless you have the tiniest frame in the universe, you must be pretty slender. I know you said you didn't want to lose weight, but maybe your fat percentage is ok too, especially since you've been active in the past. Also, how long have you been doing bikram? Maybe you just haven't done it long enough to notice major results. And if you went from other forms of exercise to solely bikram, maybe it takes longer to notice results. It seems (at least from my observations) that people who go from sedentary or sporadic exercising to bikram see results much faster than those who switch from another form of exercise to bikram. The guys who can barely touch their toes have this huge learning curve in the beginning, whereas those of us who have practiced yoga for years notice our changes in a more subtle way, perhaps.
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-24 9:39 PM (#92475 - in reply to #92459)

Libragirl is right, the question is how long you've been practicing/changed to bikram.

I'm 5'5 1/2 and 128pounds and reading this post made me just little bit fatter.
I'm near the end of my 60 days challenge and from everyday practice this past two months I can tell my body change. It wasn't drastic, but I can see body(especially legs) gaining more muscle and tone while clothes fitted loser. On other hand when i weighed myself on the scale it never changed from 130 at all, but right now I seem to have lost 2 pounds. But that also came from my change in eatting habits. Gordon have mentioned something about yin and yang food in another forum. I think due to my body being heated a lot I was craving lot of fresh vegetables and fruits to reduce the heat my body has accumulated during practice. And I've stopped eatting junk foods.

If you've just started the practice then give it a time. Maybe someone who's more well informed here can give you some nutrion guide on building muscle.

Forgot to ask, how's your BMI?

Edited by tabula_rasa 2007-07-24 9:39 PM
mia1181
Posted 2007-07-24 10:58 PM (#92478 - in reply to #92459)

My BMI is "normal" But I go by my body fat percentage. I actually had my body fat tested by an xray-type machine called DEXA which is supposed to be very accurate because it actually takes into account how much muscle you have compared to fat. I went just for fun with my boss when we started running together a few months ago. Anyway I was surprised to see that my body fat percentage was actually right on the line between normal and overweight for my age (25). I think I do look fatter than my weight because my body is pear shaped and I carry all my fat in my butt and thighs. So I have been looking for my pants to fit looser and they aren't.

I'm just finishing my second month so maybe its just too soon. I am definitely not trying to lose weight but I do want to be stronger and leaner. I guess I was thinking even though I have quit running that was about 90 minutes a week. But now I am spending 3x that time doing Bikram and my body is the same? Maybe Bikram just doesn't burn as much calories as running did?

Either way my focus isn't to lose weight but I guess I am just concerned that my body is eating muscle instead of fat.

Edited by mia1181 2007-07-24 11:06 PM
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-24 11:23 PM (#92481 - in reply to #92459)

Hm.. Kind of cool that you got a chance to take that test. Why don't you try 60 challenge too? Although I'm not sure since you were a jogger before, how your body would react. I wasn't that active person before, so maybe to me the changes seem more apparent and hm.. somewhat fast?

Someone else posted in this forum that Bikram, depending on a person's body, burns about 400 calories. Also someone else, more recently, had a same concern about their body eating muscle. And people suggested adding more protein to their diet. The general idea(I've heard) is as you gain more muslce mass they burn off the fat? Do update us on how your progress goes!

Edited by tabula_rasa 2007-07-24 11:27 PM
libragirl
Posted 2007-07-25 9:53 AM (#92515 - in reply to #92459)

Bikram burns quite a few calories, but if you're pear-shaped, maybe running was keeping you leaner in that area? I'm more of an apple (as much as I hate to admit!) so I barely have to work to keep my legs lean, whereas I have other problem areas that don't respond as quickly.

I hope this doesn't come across as preachy, but maybe you're overconcerned? If you're 25 years old, 5'4", 122 and your body fat is on the high end of normal, it still seems to me like you don't have much to worry about, unless you have other health concerns. I can understand wanting to tone up, but I think our bodies have an uncanny way of "fighting" changes it perceives as excessive. I've learned this the hard way myself
mia1181
Posted 2007-07-25 10:02 PM (#92610 - in reply to #92515)

libragirl - 2007-07-25 9:53 AM

I think our bodies have an uncanny way of "fighting" changes it perceives as excessive.QUOTE]

Yeah, while I don't think I am exercising too much or anything, I do think my body just wants to be the way it is! Unfortunately I don't get to lose fat where I want to! And whenever I lose weight my legs seem to stay the same and my upper body just shrinks. It can be so frustrating.
heninaglen
Posted 2007-08-05 1:24 AM (#93504 - in reply to #92459)

hello!

Have you considered practicing 5-7 times a week? My body changed very quickly once I started doing bikram at least 5 times a week. I just started doing it six times a week, and I can actually see a difference from when I was doing it five times a week! I can't believe that one extra class a week would make a difference, but it seems too.

Also, I have always been a bit suspicious about the cardio benefits of bikram--I live in san francisco so I am walking up stairs and hills a lot, but I when I had a more suburban lifestyle, I felt that I had to supplement yoga with extra bike rides, walking, or hiking.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-05 2:00 AM (#93505 - in reply to #92459)

hy mia
personally I cant see how bikram yoga would burn fat quicker than cardio, - running is the quickest way to burn fat, along with diet. Bikram will make you lose water, then as soon as you have a drink you will put it back on. If people are losing weight - toning up through yoga it is because of the sheer ammount of exercise they are doing. Your weight sounds fine, having said that, if you want to lose, then I would mix your yoga practice with running or some other cardio. I exercise everyday, mixing ashtanga / power /hatha yoga, pilates, and nia (spiritual dance) and it a good combination bercause I get something different from them all. The thought of doing the same thing everyday bores me to tears plus there is more chance of injury, your body adapts very quickly and reaches plateu, thats why its best to mix it up.
Stretching muscles are the same as building them, you use one muscle group (contraction) to stretch another muscle group, this how you tone up. You can burn 2lb a week of fat after that you are burning muscle too.
mia1181
Posted 2007-08-06 5:06 PM (#93642 - in reply to #93504)

heninaglen - 2007-08-05 1:24 AM
Have you considered practicing 5-7 times a week? My body changed very quickly once I started doing bikram at least 5 times a week.

Oh if I could I would do Bikram everyday! But unfortunately I work waaay too much. I work 11 hours days on M,T,TH,F so that only leaves Wed. (my half-day) Sat. and Sun. to get to the studio. Squeezing in 3 days a week has been hard enough since if I have to work a full day on Wednesday, I usually go twice on either Sat. or Sun to make up for it.
mia1181
Posted 2007-08-06 5:39 PM (#93643 - in reply to #93505)

raquel - 2007-08-05 2:00 AM
Stretching muscles are the same as building them, you use one muscle group (contraction) to stretch another muscle group, this how you tone up. You can burn 2lb a week of fat after that you are burning muscle too.

Raquel thanks for posting this info I was wondering how yoga could build muscle. My fiancee lifts weights and he is skeptical that I could be building muscles. But I get sore in that same way that I usually do from working out.

I guess I just don't have a lot of time to exercise so I was hoping doing lots of Bikram would be able to replace running. I agree about your body adapting to whatever workout you do. I know this but for some reason I tend to get focused on one things at a time!
raquel
Posted 2007-08-06 6:02 PM (#93644 - in reply to #92459)

Hy Mia yoga will never build muscle the same as weights, but it will tone you up in a more functional way, you will be leaner and feel more agile.

The style of yoga that will burn the most calories is power or even better ashtanga, this style of yoga also maintains excellent upper body strength and muscle tone, maybe you could mix it with your bikram to keep the body guessing?

Good luck
mia1181
Posted 2007-08-06 6:32 PM (#93645 - in reply to #93644)

yes as a beginner I am just getting comfortable with Bikram but I know it won't be long before I am trying other styles. Especially ones that have a little more upper body work. Since you can't "spot train" where you want to lose fat, working my upper body will help balance things out!

My fiancee is naturally very lean, so he focuses on "bulking up." I would much rather be lean (like most women). That's why yoga is perfect for me. Yoga would actually supplement his weightlifting very well, but he hated the Bikram class I brought him to! Like many others, he feels the heat is unnecessary. But what can I say I like the heat and feel actually very comfortable in that environment! We should try another style together, though!

Posted 2007-08-06 7:40 PM (#93646 - in reply to #93645)

Your fiancee might enjoy Astanga or Power Yoga. You may enjoy it together. Yoga is great for weight lifters as it helps to lengthen the muscles that weight lifting shortens, leading to increased strength, range of motion, flexibility and balance. There are also many mental, emotional and other benefits, but they will develop on their own when they are ready.
njguy
Posted 2007-08-06 8:31 PM (#93648 - in reply to #92459)

Muscle? In the past I ran for fitness and whenever I got somewhat thin I looked scrawny in the upper body. Then I added some weight lifing but my shape wasn't as attractive as it is now. This opinion is gleaned from my wife's comments over the years.

My wife thinks I look a LOT better since I started yoga. My muscles look better all around with yoga. What has changed is that the muscles in different areas are visible now, yielding a better look overall. NOT that it's about appearance, but with better health often comes improved appearance. I do Bikram and lately Ashtanga. A consistent practice will also help maintain healthy eating.

ItzBubble
Posted 2007-09-06 11:55 AM (#95777 - in reply to #92459)

HELLO ALL!! I'm new and super excited about Bikram. I actually just did my first Bikram yoga class yesterday! It was awesome!! I'm not as sore as i expected but i drank a TON of water yesterday and replaced my sodium levels as best I could.

i am doing Bikram to broaden my jouney into intense Yoga practice, and was hopign this would help tone me more than other forms I've practiced. is this possibly not the case?

I want to lose inches and maybe some fat will follow.

Also, Im seriously considering the 60 day challenge. Today will be day 2!! If i do this, should I just go hardcard Bikram and forget the other classes i take llike body toning, abs, spinning, pilates i've been doing? I dont want to get burnt out!

P.s Have i mentioned I feel awesome today and totally love bikram?!
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-09-06 1:23 PM (#95785 - in reply to #92459)

Welcome to the forum Sarah! Looks like you've had the beginner's enthusiasm(I'm familiar with this!). I've recently finished my 70 and it was GREAT. Read a lot of posts in this forum, careful not to injure yourself as I did, and have fun!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)