YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

funny Bikram story!!!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

amyf
Posted 2009-04-25 5:32 PM (#115548)
Subject: funny Bikram story!!!

Veteran

We all worry and wonder about hydration and electrolytes as hot yoga practicers...
we KNOW the dangers and risk of dehydration and unbalance. I am was recently diagnosed w/ high risk osteo fragility and have been taking a daily injection and d-1000 and extra b12 (on top of the bcomplex I am taking now) as prescribed by my doctor. I have been on this for 3 weeks.... Any way, I have been continuing to practice going about my usual regime of water and electrolytes (I have been practicing for about a year) as the time went I was feeling more thirsty and my pee was turning bright yellow... I was assuming I was dehydrated and stated drinking ALOT. I started feeling funny and was thinking I was feeling funny from the dehydration so I took a yoga break but continued to drink to rehydrate. Un aware that my injection was making me FEEL thirsty and the b12 was making my pee yellow! LONG story short.... I just got back from an overnight in the hospital w/ a salt level of 117 (136 in normal... 111 is death risk) feeling like an idiot I was treated for hyponatremia (SP?) LOL I was drinking TOO much !!!

Edited by amyf 2009-04-25 5:37 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jar
Posted 2009-04-26 1:52 AM (#115553 - in reply to #115548)
Subject: Re: funny Bikram story!!!

Regular

Heh

Glad you got it figured out before you did any serious damage, like death
amyf
Posted 2009-04-26 9:53 AM (#115554 - in reply to #115548)

Veteran

yeah... feeling like an idiot though!!! b vitamins making my pee bright .... forteo making me thirsty and me thinking I was dehydrated from.... belly isssues!!! LOL
Miabella704
Posted 2009-04-26 10:56 AM (#115557 - in reply to #115554)

That's really scary. People have died from that. There was a radio contest a few years ago in which contestants, competing for a Nintendo Wii, had to drink large amounts of water and not use the bathroom. The one who drank the most and could hold it the longest won. A young mother of three died after consuming several gallons of water. She left the radio station with a bad headache and died shortly thereafter.
amyf
Posted 2009-04-26 11:14 AM (#115559 - in reply to #115548)

Veteran

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!! it is VERY scary salt of 117 is ........ well it is brain altering. I'm NOT making light of the danger, just want caused it LOL
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-04-26 12:47 PM (#115560 - in reply to #115548)

If the doctors put you on a regimen that can screw with your sense of thirst, and keeps your urine a bright yellow, don't you think they should tell you about it?

Posted 2009-04-27 12:35 AM (#115569 - in reply to #115548)

yeah, that was totally my thought too, Duffy.

though, back when i was 19, my endocrinologist put me on a fertility medication and birth control pills at the same time. the fertility meds were to fight the symptoms of what they believed to be a pituitary tumor (wasn't, btw), and the BCPs were because i was a 'sexually active female' (wasn't).

now, he told me i needed to take both to "balance out my hormones" which was the only reason why i took BCPs because i'm morally opposed to them (for my own use as birth control, not as medicine, and not for anyone else).

i go home and read that fine print that they give you, and the fertility med's says "do not take with BCPs of these types" which included my type, and the BCP said "do not take if you are taking the following fertility medications."

confused, i call my endocrinologist who tells me that i need to take these things for my health, even though the paperwork said that taking that combination would lead to infertility. i really didn't want to be infertile, permenantly, at 19 and onward.

i decided not to take the pills,a nd when i went to his appt again, he yelled at me for not following "doctor's orders" and asked me why i didn't take his prescriptions. i explained that my judgement, having read the materials, told me otherwise, and that i wanted to be fertile later in life (at that time, due to my symptoms, i was not fertile--long story that is in the thyroid).

anyway, he then said "well, we'd just do fertility treatments." i am, btw, also morally opposed to fertility treatments (for me, not anyone else). i explained this, and he said "well, then, you could adopt. you have to take this protocol!"

and when i asked him why, he said that if i didn't take the BCP, as a 'sexually active female' i would end up pregnant, likely with multiples, and have to have an abortion (why? i asked--couldn't i just have the babies? to which he responded that i was too young).

and the whole time, his theory was that i used too much marijuanna anyway, and wouldn't make a good mother at that age, etc. even though i didn't use marijuana (see, the symptoms are common for heavy users), and i wasn't even sexually active anyway and wouldn't be for another three years at that point.

so, i healed myself, but my whole experience with most doctors is that they don't want to explain themselves, or why you're taking something, o what you might expect from taking it. they just want you to take it.

Posted 2009-04-27 1:46 PM (#115577 - in reply to #115569)

zoebird - 2009-04-26 9:35 PM

, but my whole experience with most doctors is that they don't want to explain themselves, or why you're taking something, o what you might expect from taking it. they just want you to take it.

This underlines the problem of blindly following ANY authority figure (Yoga teachers and Gurus included). Even if what they say is right for someone else, it may not be right for you. If you do not understand, ask for a full explanation. If their explanation doesn't make sense to you, go to someone else or find your own answer.

I think that we are best served by viewing others who claim to be experts(doctors, gurus, yoga teachers etc.) as partners or resources, instead of wizards who will magically heal us. If we give up our critical thinking in the process of seeking outside help, we cannot blame anyone but ourselves when things go wrong.

Posted 2009-04-27 3:05 PM (#115579 - in reply to #115548)

jimg: hey, you described why i had an unassisted childbirth too!

it's really a powerful thing, to step up and figure it out on your own. i healed my problem non-medically through diligent study and work, and then had amazing pregnancy and birth throgh that too. self study is a powerful process.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)