YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

starting weight loss; 100 lbs; support group?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

Tatie
Posted 2004-02-07 11:38 AM (#3577)
Subject: starting weight loss; 100 lbs; support group?

Hi
I have 100 lbs to lose, mostly gained started with about 30 lbs 8 years ago. I gained about another 50 over the last year and a half with menopause.
I am in San Francisco, looking for a good yoga class, where I can easily get down and then get back up.
Also, does anyone know of yoga & WL support groups?
Tatie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
landqueen
Posted 2004-02-15 1:24 PM (#3760 - in reply to #3577)
Subject: RE: starting weight loss; 100 lbs; support group?

Namaste Tatie:
You are to be congratulated for the weight loss you have experienced so far! I too am looking to lose and am using the yoga and weight loss dvd; it allows for various levels of modification which I needed. Check it out. I live in NJ and there are no studios near me; I imagine if there were, all would be filled with thin nimble folks and I wouldn't want to go. I work out in my livingroom at like 5 in the morning when the only beings around to laugh at my fat are the cats
Be blessed, and stick with it! Also, work on your breathing, posture, and spirit mind. It all goes together!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-02-15 4:47 PM (#3765 - in reply to #3577)

You can't spit in California without hitting a yoga studio.

Look for something that's going to be concerned with safety, given the fact you're moving (temporarily! ) excess weight around. You need to be congiscent, as does your teacher, of your changing body and stress on your joints and spine.

I suggest looking for something in the Anusara or Iyengar family. Chair yoga, if done at home, is also a good start for strengthening and flexibility increase, before you throw your bad self into something rigorous.

If you're carrying around that much extra weight gained suddenly, the chances of you losing it smoothly are greater if you start now. Your body isn't used to carrying the recently-gained weight. You'll have a little tougher time of it with the initial 30.

Keep in mind that yoga is not a magic pill, nor is it in itself a weight loss method, despite what the media is saying. You must examine and probably change your eating habits. You will need to practice at home or take more than one class a week. I would add in something like 20 treadmill minutes to get your heart rate elevated for an extended period. Beginning yoga is stop and go, without that sustained elevation.

Most of all, please check with your doctor before jumping in. You need to be aware of any blood pressure issues and/or diabetic tendencies (usually Type II with weight gain) you might have. Not only do they effect your life, but they must be taken into consideration when doing yoga asana.

Christine

Posted 2004-02-21 6:50 PM (#3946 - in reply to #3577)

I started yog in Aug 2003--38 inch waist. Today, 21 Feb bought some 34 inch waist Levi 501s (love the buutton fly--zippers scare me). I've not changed my diet nor anything else--just yoga at least three times per week.
christineccp
Posted 2004-02-22 9:36 PM (#3962 - in reply to #3577)

Wow...Bruce..thats a great improvement...losing so many inches...I just started doing yoga in my gym..but its rather difficult to be consistent to stick to it as the schedule of the yoga class is not really suitable for me as i work quite late at times. And certain poses of yoga seems to be rather difficult too...I suck at flexibility..
But reading your post...its really a motivation that yoga alone can make you lose that inches...
Thanks.

Posted 2004-02-23 6:10 AM (#3967 - in reply to #3962)

LOL! I could be the poster child for sucking at flexibility kiddo. I sympathize about scheduling of classes. I seldom know exactly when and where I'll be with my job nor when some nitwit will call a meeting. However, the boss has noticed the improvement in me mentally and physically and even more important, so has his wife--she wants him to start going with me (no luck to date). So having him kinda on my side, I can usually fit in a practice
with some semblence of regularity.

QUOTE]christineccp - 2004-02-22 8:36 PM

Wow...Bruce..thats a great improvement...losing so many inches...I just started doing yoga in my gym..but its rather difficult to be consistent to stick to it as the schedule of the yoga class is not really suitable for me as i work quite late at times. And certain poses of yoga seems to be rather difficult too...I suck at flexibility..
But reading your post...its really a motivation that yoga alone can make you lose that inches...
Thanks.
jacqueline8
Posted 2004-03-01 6:57 PM (#4223 - in reply to #3577)

I have a constant struggle with maintaining an even weight and have been doing yoga for half an hour each day for about a month now. I have done it before but not regularly enough to notice the benefits to my body. I use the yoga zone yoga for weight loss DVD and what I have noticed is not a significant weight loss, but my body just looks better, and so I feel better about myself. My flesh is firmer and more toned, and through my core area I look far more slender. I have quite a pair shaped figure but since doing yoga, particularly the vinyasa which include the push up style postures, and the sun salutations, I have squared off my shoulders and my back has become much straighter, giving the impression of a body more in proportion!! BEcause of the way I have learnt to hold myself I look slimmer and taller, and my clothes sit better on my body. I expect over time I may lose inches by doing the video but I am pleased with the results I have got already. I also feel it has increased my metabolism and generally made me feel a lot healthier and more vibrant.
Also, I often find some of the equipment at the gym causes bulking in places you might not want bulked, but yoga is such a gentle toning exercise that you achieve the results you want. And because ashtanga/power yoga can be such a good cardiovascular work out, I certainly prefer it than getting red in the face and sweaty on a treadmill!!
amwbrider
Posted 2004-03-01 10:21 PM (#4230 - in reply to #3577)

I too have 100 + lbs to loose. I started yoga this week. It is the only exercise that I can do that doesn't give me an extremely sore back. I live in SE Georgia and there are no yoga studios within 60 miles distance. I have started collecting videos and DVDs and practice at home. A support group would be great!! We should start one here in the forum. I also don't have a thyroid anymore since I had been treated for Grave's Disease 4 years ago, and that is the culprit of my weight gain. I am hoping that yoga will help slow the weight gain I have experienced over the past few years or revert it to weightloss.

Edited by amwbrider 2004-03-01 10:25 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)