YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rundown feeling
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

sanjayw
Posted 2004-09-08 5:42 PM (#9736)
Subject: Rundown feeling

Last couple of Bikram classes have been good-in class that is. However, after the classes I have been feeling rundown and more physically tired than usual. I am entering my fourth month of class and this is the first time I have had this rundown feeling. Any suggestions about this? Have other people experienced times like this. Any diet or hydration ideas? I thought about taking time off but as I said class is good and I don't want to lose the progress (limited as it has been) I have made.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gogirl58
Posted 2004-09-08 9:03 PM (#9738 - in reply to #9736)
Subject: RE: Rundown feeling

Extreme Veteran

I have experienced a feeling of being exhausted for several hours after a class. After some time of thinking that I should work it through and keep going, I decided that feeling badly was not a good thing. I have tried to stick with classes and instructors that do not give me that feeling. As much as possible I try and go to classes that lead to an energized outcome.

This has caused me to quit one club where the temperature was consistently too high for me. I also avoid one teacher who seems to keep it warmer that the others.

My personal philosophy is that if it feels bad, I try and change factors to make it feel good.
I don't think your progress will be badly affected by missing classes for a few days. I have actually found that a break sometimes leads to improvement, expecially if I do some other exercise during my break. This is not a race, you have time.

Also, sometimes when it's hot outside, you can become more easily dehydrated.

Just my experience.
innerline
Posted 2004-09-09 3:42 PM (#9766 - in reply to #9736)

I too have the rundown feeling after class. I have been doing it for six years. Overtime what I thought it was has changed. From thinking it was electrolyte imbalance, to nutrition, to an ungroundedness in class, three sugeries in my right shoulder, to having an over bearing mind, to having to much fire in me that blow out some subtle channels, to having dark entities in my aura, to having a crack in my 7th layer egg shell, and all of these have some truth. I have work on them all and they have help in the rundown feeling. But now it is looking like a unbelievable amount of sadness that I have in me, that I get in touch with during and especially after class. This sadness is very deep for me on a causal plane that "seems" to radiate throughout the universe. It has connected me to the child I was that lost his heart space. My heart in the past seemed 20 feet behind my body. Which shows just how distorted some of the chakras sense of space can get. It has been getting closer to being in my body. As it does so many traumas and imbalances that seem to be seperate events are looking to display one pattern and the heart is the only thing that can heal them. This has been a fascination trip for me. I would honor what you are going through and surrender as much as you can into yourself when this rundown feeling comes up. Could be any of the things I mentioned or it could be a much deep pattern like myself.
dagelove
Posted 2004-09-09 5:33 PM (#9769 - in reply to #9736)

If the room heat is too high it is more likely to leave you with a feeling of exhaustion, particularly if it is also very humid. Bikrma insists that 105 degrees is ideal and shouldn't be exceeded. I've heard Rajashree (his wife) say that 95-105 is an acceptable range. Unfortunately, some teachers seem to think hotter is better. I've been in studios that were as high as 115 - frankly, I think that's extreme. My wife loves the extreme heat but I'm with Bikram on this one.

You may also find that some days it isn't the heat that leaves you feeling exhausted. It may be that something is going on with you physically, mentally or spiritually and you just don't have as much stamine or energy as you're accustomed to. Respect that and adjust your practice accordingly, work slowly, conserve your energy, rest.

Also, maintaining healthy eating and sleeping habits is important. Be well hydrated and take electrolyte supplements daily.
innerline
Posted 2004-09-09 6:49 PM (#9772 - in reply to #9769)

Bikram use to teach that you want the room at 115 degrees and I think some studios are still working off that recommendation. Now he says 105, which is relatively recent. He is slowly changing his ways. This is a good sign.
sanjayw
Posted 2004-09-10 1:39 AM (#9784 - in reply to #9736)

Thank you for the input. I had a class yesterday and felt fine afterwards. Reflecting on the the classes which resulted in my "rundown feeling" in light of your input, I think the temperatures was standard but were much more humid than normal due, I think, to the fact that they were very crowded. Also, temperatures in LA have been very high recently and I probably did need to hydrate a little more than usual to compensate for the Bikram like temperatures outside (albeit without the humidity). Finally, I had not thought about emotional state as a factor, but I have been going through a particularly stressful time recently. Again thanks!
LoraB
Posted 2004-09-10 9:38 AM (#9794 - in reply to #9736)

Another thing to consider if this has only been happening recently is the change in seasons and light. Many people are more affected by this than we think, and if you don't get a lot of natural light throughout the day it can really affect your mood and energy level. My office gets NO natural light, and my classes at school don't have windows and both buildings are downtown where it is always much darker....My eating and exercise habits haven't changed at all - but with getting up in the dark and getting out of work/school in the dark without spending much time outside in the sun I am feeling pretty lethargic..You might try taking a long walk during your lunch hour to help compensate for the shifting light levels.
gogirl58
Posted 2004-09-10 10:28 AM (#9798 - in reply to #9736)

Extreme Veteran

LoraB

You have my sympathies. That how I feel in the winter. I hope you can get some sumlight
on a regular basis soon.
LoraB
Posted 2004-09-10 11:06 AM (#9800 - in reply to #9736)

Thanks!

Yeah, it's just a matter of making it happen...taking a walk during my full lunch hour and then eating at the desk, sneaking away twice a day for a 10 minute walk...We like to think we're not connected to those early rhythms anymore, but we are, and I think more and more people are starting to accept it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)