YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heater for Home Practice?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

hilaryjade
Posted 2006-01-13 3:09 PM (#40922)
Subject: Heater for Home Practice?

Hi--

I live in a rural area and we only had one instructor teaching Bikram Yoga. She has decided to quit offering the class. I have practiced with her for two years, so I am comfortable with the series. I have Bikram's Beginning Yoga Book and just ordered the two CD set from the Yoga College as well--I like not having to think about how long I am holding the pose, so the CD's made sense.

I have a small exercise room with mirrors that we use for our weight training equipment and I am struggling to get it warm enough to truly feel that liberating sweat that I would get at the studio. Right now I am running two small space heaters (the every day 1500 watt variety) and a humidifier. I have to plug one of the heaters into an outlet on a different circuit from the other or my breaker will flip. Does anyone know of a better solution for heating a home studio? Are there better heaters out there that won't break my budget too badly?

I appreciate any advice, thanks!

Hilary
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TSR
Posted 2006-01-17 4:26 AM (#41153 - in reply to #40922)
Subject: RE: Heater for Home Practice?

hey hilary i was in the same situation were my teacher closed down his studio.
ive been doing it at home for around2 months now.
firstly you have done exactly what i did get the book and the cd.
i have 3 heaters 2 normal fan type heaters and an element style heater .
all 3 are just elcheapo style heaters but i keep the heat in the room by closing the door all day before i get home from work and closing the blinds etc to keep the heat in.
i do have abit of a head start becauce my room is upstairs in my house and its quite hot in summer.
another good idea is a thermometer which i use its only cheap and it helps know weather your in the ball park.
the cd is quite good but bikram seems to go through some posures very fast , just when you get into them he changes postures.
go for it at home it saves heaps of travelling time!!!!
Mitch
Posted 2006-01-17 2:31 PM (#41194 - in reply to #40922)

It's going to be very difficult/costly to replicate the studio heat at home. You may want to try working with your breath more - a strong ujjayi can really build the internal heat during your practice. There's plenty of good info on the boards if you do a search.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-17 3:13 PM (#41208 - in reply to #41194)

Expert Yogi

Yep, that is right Mitch. I will never get my room to 105 degrees...THANK GOD!! The most I've gotten my temp here in the mountains is 95 on a hot day and 85 on cold winter days...and it's really difficult keeping it at 85 degrees.

I really love my home practice with these temps, and on the hot summer days, I open a window and have fresh aire blowing in...it's really nice.
samantha77
Posted 2006-01-17 7:47 PM (#41232 - in reply to #40922)

Extreme Veteran

I have a heater in my yoga room, but I have never managed to get the temp higher than 86 degrees.  Is the room you practice in well insulated?  Part of the the problem with my room is that I need to get the windows replaced, so some cold air is coming in.  Also, there is a space between the bottom of the door, and the floor.  Would closing up any gaps in your room help?

Samantha

hilaryjade
Posted 2006-01-19 11:44 AM (#41424 - in reply to #40922)

Thanks for the suggestions--last night I actually got it pretty warm with my two space heaters--I think it might be because my CDs finally arrived and it is true, Bikram does move along at a good clip!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)