YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New studio opening by me
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Kabu
Posted 2006-02-01 9:58 AM (#42560)
Subject: New studio opening by me

I was searching the area for new studios and found that Bikram is coming to the North Shore. It's not in my immediate neighborhood, but it's certainly accessible.

I'm terribly curious.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-01 10:13 AM (#42565 - in reply to #42560)
Subject: RE: New studio opening by me

Expert Yogi

Oh No, could this be...could this really be that your're gonna turn into a Bikramite too???
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-01 10:25 AM (#42567 - in reply to #42565)

You can tell me...you guys are a cult, right? I need to know this before I walk in the door.

The Bikram site doesn't say when the studio will open. It just says "coming soon," so I'm keeping my eye on it.

I'm skeerd though! I come from Anusara, where it's all about opening your heart, being happy and all that good stuff. Bikram looks scary!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-02-01 11:44 AM (#42580 - in reply to #42567)

Expert Yogi

Well, I can't say much about the cult thing...I am what they call a Hot Yoga person I suppose. Although, I did train with a *real* Bikram Master!! She was not brutal like what I've read and heard. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to learn what I did. Then I had my own kind of long distance connection with Bikram by his books and audio tapes. I used to do the series at home with his tapes and voice. I only quit because he wasn't consistent with how long he would hold the postures...some were too long and some were too short. I customized my own practice. He is fun to listen and do the series to, that is, if you know the series and do it right. He sings a song at the end and uses terms like, "I know it hurts like hell" and things like that which I think is kinda cute and actually for me, he is quite a motivator and I like his personality, whereas most people do not.

As for the open your heart, being happy and all that good stuff. That doesn't come from any practice, that comes from the person - the asana practice is just a tool. That is why Bikram always says if you practice, the spiritual part will come later. He's not saying that Yoga or his series isn't spiritual, he is saying that he is not spiritual for whatever personal reasons he has. He even tells people to go and find a guru if you want spiritual. This is not unusual for this culture. This is where people are really screwed up when it comes to yoga and spirituality - especially here in the West. There are no rules that say you have to be spiritual to do Yoga Asana's either. Besides, the cat is out of the bag anyway when it comes to Yoga in the West, we have to learn how to deal with and so does the Indian culture that doesn't like the way things have gone. I'm glad Bikram did what he did.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-01 1:17 PM (#42587 - in reply to #42580)

Regarding spirituality, I was never one who believed Yoga and spirituality had to go hand-in-hand. I think it's okay to practice for the physical aspect alone, and like you said in another thread...we can be spiritual doing anything, not just Yoga. Though I must admit, practicing Yoga has led me to explore other things. I think the description of physical asana as a tool is right on.

I joke about Anusara vs Bikram because in our studio, it's a very calming, relaxed environment where the teachers greet everyone with a warm hug, and every practice has an uplifting theme. Plus laughter is encouraged (although I try to keep my big mouth shut 'cause I don't know when to stop). Nag Champa floats through the air, and there's usually background music. Our teachers always thank us for bringing our energy to class.

I've obviously never been to a Bikram class, but he looks so stern. I could be totally wrong though, which is why I think I'm going to have to check it out.
gogirl58
Posted 2006-02-01 11:02 PM (#42625 - in reply to #42567)

Extreme Veteran

If they are somber, I would tolerate it in order to experience the practice, but if they are mean
LEAVE. If it's not the owner, then I would return when the owner is there. Just my advice. The owner may be better than an individual instructor.

I experience my local Bikram studio to be warm and comforting and the instructors are kind, although maybe not in the huggy, gushy way of some.

I have gone to another studio where people were cold and mean and scolding. I am upset with myself that I even stayed. This attitude was combined with too much heat. The whole thing made me ill ( literally).
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)