YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Plateau?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

yogarookie
Posted 2006-07-17 10:23 PM (#58938)
Subject: Plateau?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone else reached a point in practicing Bikram where they didn't feel like they were improving anymore. I have gone every day for the last month, and, although I'm not 100% in each pose (standing bow and standing forehead to knee I'm about 70%), I don't feel like I'm gaining flexibility anymore. I'm a hard worker, and I make sure to suffer through the muscle flexibility pain, so I don't think that's an issue. Anybody share my experience?

YogaRookie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-18 7:41 AM (#58951 - in reply to #58938)
Subject: RE: Plateau?

I'm not an expert, and Bikram isn't really my field, but did you mean it when you said everyday? I'm pretty sure your body needs day off once in a while, and you shouldn't really go full on every day for a month.

Posted 2006-07-18 7:42 AM (#58952 - in reply to #58938)

instead of trying to achieve postures, switch your observation focus. observe what you feel during postures, and then make slight adjustments while doing the postures to find the opening as you do them.
yogarookie
Posted 2006-07-19 6:16 PM (#59104 - in reply to #58951)

Bikram recommends going every day for two months when you first begin, and, although I've been practicing for a year (average about 4x per week), I never gave it that initial commitment. Once you've gone every day for two months, he then recommends that you go 10 times per month just to maintain the work you put in. I actually take back what I said: I went this morning and had breakthroughs on locust and floor bow, so I guess commitment will bring results, even if they don't come immediately. The best part about Bikram for me is the mental aspect. I feel like if I can get through the discomfort of the 90 minute class while working as hard as I can, I can do anything I set my mind to.
yogabrian
Posted 2006-07-20 3:03 AM (#59124 - in reply to #58938)

Bikram recommends going every day for two months when you first begin.

I would LOVE to see Bikram himself do everyday for 2 months.
gogirl58
Posted 2006-07-20 4:05 AM (#59128 - in reply to #59124)

Extreme Veteran

I would guess that the every day rule is for the younger beginners. I can't imagine taking
an out of shape 50 something, and forcing their body to go every day. Its brutal. I do think going a lot when you don't feel like you want to pushes you past some beginning resistances. It is good, but sometimes we forget. peggy
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-20 7:35 AM (#59140 - in reply to #58938)

Wow, everyday for 2 months, I don't know if I could do anything requiring effort everyday for 2 months. My respect for people who practice Bikram is even higher now. For me, just the heat alone scares me, thanks for letting me know.
yogarookie
Posted 2006-07-20 2:04 PM (#59179 - in reply to #58938)

I think I'm definitely considered a younger beginner then (I'm 18 and very athletic). I started last July, and fell in love with it after my first class. I find that 5 days in a row seems to be the magic number for me...after 5 days, the heat doesn't get to me at all, and I can simply add flexibility and strength to my body painlessly each class following. I feel extreme pressure to keep the momentum going once I've gone 5 in a row, however, because once I take a day or two off, the heat pain returns, and I feel like an idiot if I don't go because it's not even that strenous (only once I've gone 5 in a row). The most I've gone in a row was 17 days (with 3 of the days as doubles), and, at the end of that stretch I felt incredible. All other exercise I engaged in after that (running, swimming, lifting, whatever) was enhanced because my breathing could control any pain I had. Something I find incredibly important for my practice is to make sure I force myself to eat lots of food on my Bikram days. Athough I lose my appetite, if I don't eat enough I don't build all the muscle I could have if I had eaten plenty, particularly around my spine. By the way, this morning I put my forehead on each knee in Separate Leg Stretching for the first time, and touched my forehead to my shins in the final expression (where you grab your big toes), so the progress is never-ending.

Edited by yogarookie 2006-07-20 2:06 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-07-20 6:06 PM (#59197 - in reply to #59179)

Expert Yogi

Michael - you are lucky to have discovered yoga early, however you do need to be aware that at your age you are still growing and growth happens during rest cycles (as I understand it - the physiology folks can correct me if I am wrong - and will ) On the advice of coaches and others, we always made sure our kids had a full month off between seasons (swimming and baseball overlapped, but not by much and baseball is a totally different set of muscles anyway) to completely rest and recuperate and grow. Most yoga styles suggest at least one day off per week and several other rest or restorative days every month. I understand the psychological effect of going to class every day, especially to start and I think it is valid. Many styles have "sadhana" periods where we go to class x days in a row and they ar great for jump-starting a home practice. I myself am a bit cynical about systems where one is encouraged to go to class daily - great money-makers for the teachers and it doesn't encourage personal discipline. But I am going off track a bit - my point is that you do need to be sure you are allowing proper rest for growth, even if it is only a week or so every other month. Rest is another very important part of health, which is only just now starting to be discussed in the mainstream press etc.
yogarookie
Posted 2006-07-21 9:39 AM (#59237 - in reply to #58938)

Glenda-
Thanks for the rest reminder. I definitely will be sure to take plenty of it after I feel I've put in plenty of work, and maybe I'll even take a day off every week just to be safe. I definitely feel the benefits of the yoga in the days following a long stretch of Bikram, after I've temporarily stopped, so I do agree with you about the importance of rest.

I was wondering why you thought going every day didn't require self discipline.

Off to the 10 AM.

Yogarookie
tourist
Posted 2006-07-21 11:39 AM (#59243 - in reply to #59237)

Expert Yogi

Yes, going to class every day does require one kind of discipline, but try a home practice with a busy life and you will find that it is a whole other kind of challenge. I am a cheap and stingy Virgo/Scot so I find it pretty easy to get to any and every event I have already paid for. But I am also a lazy, couch loving type who would rather sit at the keyboard or TV remote or book or crosasword puzzle ..... than move - ANY kind of movement! Taking myself to the mat daily is one of the biggest committments I have ever made but well worth it.
yoginis are hot
Posted 2006-07-30 8:05 AM (#60338 - in reply to #58938)

I did Bikram regularly for ~ 15 months . I managed ~ 330 classes during that period. I kept hitting plateaus, but the occasional breaktroughs kept me going. The longer I did Bikram, it started to feel like the heat was more of a gimmick . Another thing that really me turned me off was the general vibe of the studio. Bikram was god to the teachers and they religiously spewed whatever nonsense they were taught. After a year of practice, I also started to figure out that most of the teachers did not really understand the postures very well. Sure, they could parrot the dialogue they were taught, but any specific questions regarding the postures did not get appropirate responses. There were a couple of teachers who were really good and had a really deep understanding of the postures (Both of them had a long experience with yoga, beyond Bikram), but one of them left the studio and the other taught only once a week. I really had to struggle through "locking the knee", and some teachers keep pushing you to the point of hurting yourself.

The day I decided to stop Bikram yoga was when most of the regulars at the studio (teachers and fellow practitioners) started asking me if I was planning to do the teacher training with Bikram. Some of the teachers even recommended that I do it. I was one of the most committed practioners in the studio, but was no where close to being competent in many of the postures. Then it dawned on me that most of the teachers in our studio were kind of similar to me as far as their pracitce goes. They all had practiced Bikram yoga for a year or two, then were encouraged to do the teacher training, which most of them did and voila, they were teachers.

I am starting to realize the canned style of yoga that Bikram provides is not suitable for a long term practice. (Several years...) . I have gained a lot of lower body strength , but my arms look like noodles now. Also, when you hit a plateau or a bottleneck in some part of your body, the Bikram sequence is not very amenable to work through the bottleneck in an efficient manner.

I am taking a break from yoga now, but am itching try a new style. I am very interested in the ashtanga sequence, expecially the Mysore style classes, where the teachers help you one-on-one. Moreover, the hands-on correction that the Ashtanga style (or even Iyengar maybe) teachers give you can only help you progress faster, I am guessing...

enough of my rambling....
tourist
Posted 2006-07-30 12:41 PM (#60385 - in reply to #60338)

Expert Yogi

Welcome yah - Are you able to experiment and try a bunch of styles? One of our favourite lapsed Bikramites, our own Bruce, took a teacher training where he was required to try out several styles and he seemed to enjoy that process. If you really want to learn a lot about the poses, Iyengar is great.
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-09-24 7:33 PM (#65259 - in reply to #58938)

I go through regular plateaus in my Bikram practice, but it seems I always break through them. I usually go every other day, but my schedule was once so busy I had to take 2 days off in a row and I came back stronger than ever. Sometimes rest is more important than training. I did Bikram 2x a day during my first month because I couldn't really go deep into the poses. Now I can do really deep into all poses and going 2x a day every day would kill me. I believe in the near future as my body gets stronger and more flexible I will only be able to go 3x a week. Keep in mind though I will get a better workout in those 3 classes than I used to get in 14 classes when I was weak and inflexible.

When Bikram says to go everyday for the first 30 days it's because your body is usually so weak you're only getting 50% benefit from each class. After 30 days you are so much stronger than 1 class will equal 2 of your previous classes from the benefits you get. That's why several months down the road 3x a week is just as good as daily used to be for you.

This forum is anti-bikram, but Bikram has been very good to me. I plan to "cross train" with other forms of Yoga on alternate days, but for a period of about 3 months I made Bikram my life and my body responded! I lost 25 lbs of fat, put on 10 lbs of muscle and rapidly reshaped my body. NO other exercise I've ever done did so much for me so fast.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-24 8:03 PM (#65263 - in reply to #65259)

Expert Yogi

Peter - glad to hear that things are going well with you! And it seems to me that your system of actually going to fewer classes per week is very sensible. But please don't say we are anti-Bikram. We are simply anti-injury and consider it our ethical duty to keep people informed aso they can make appropriate choices for themselves. How's the dating game going?
EmptyCup
Posted 2006-09-25 9:50 AM (#65320 - in reply to #58938)

Coming from a martial arts background, I may be more critical than I should be, which is part of the reason I am exposing myself to comment in the forum.

At the outset, I will say that Bikram is a great way to start one's journey in yoga, and Bikram does not hide that his method is "Yoga for Beginners". In fact, if you read his book, he advocates NOT going to class as often as he advocates within the first 60 days. Anyone who is doing more than once a day is obsessive, and anyone really doing more than 2-4x per week is not giving their bodies sufficient time to heal and grow. It's like trying to build a house by using a sledgehammer to knock in the nails.

However, on the other hand, I have been truly disappointed at the lack of experience all of the teachers I have met through Bikram appear to have. They are good at being a "coach", like a personal trainer ["you can do another rep"], but when it comes to the mechanics of the asanas, most of them give some canned answer.

Further, I have been very disappointed at the lack of discipline each yoga studio instructor (I have been to 3 different ones) has over the studio. Despite notices posted all over about "Yoga Courtesies", student talk during class, come in and out during final savasana. Many students come in late to class (the same ones, no matter what day or time the class is), and then prop themselves right in front of a heater, adjusting it so they get the "personalized touch". Worse yet, a student came to class last week, coughing and sneezing the ENTIRE time, nonstop. Not only did the instructor not say anything, but now I am sick as well.

Maybe it is just the snobby town I am living in.

Overall, I find the Bikram experience to be positive, but am disappointed that it is not otherwise so much better.
gogirl58
Posted 2006-09-26 7:24 PM (#65470 - in reply to #58938)

Extreme Veteran

This is surprising to me. I guess everyone has their experiences. My studio lets no one adjust the
heat but the teacher ( it would be unthinkable). People come in late, but quietly and not the same people every day. No one talks during the class. People leave during the final savasana as they are ready, occasionally others come in for the next class, but they do so quietly.

I am surprised at your experience. Where do you live.
redrox
Posted 2006-09-27 12:01 AM (#65475 - in reply to #58938)

Our studio locks the outside door a few minutes before class time. A few may come in during the first pranayama if they happen to still be changing when the instructor starts class, but no one gets into the studio itself once the instructor leaves the reception area. I have missed classes I was planning to attend due to bad traffic and arriving a few minutes late. You learn to adjust your schedule to allow for unforeseen circumstances if you really want to practice at a particular time or with a particular instructor. No one adjusts any heaters (it's a central room heater and humidifier anyway), and in the hot yoga/bikram classes no one really talks before or after classes. It's less social than the vinyasa classes in that regard. People may leave early if they must, and there is no limit to savasana time, but people leave quietly as well. I guess if you have that many problems with the studio, you can communicate your displeasure and see if things change or find another studio.

I tend to disagree that Bikram is only for beginner's. There are a lot more gentle ways to introduce oneself to yoga than jumping into a 90 minute bikram class in a heated environment. I do agree that instructors tend to not intrude as much and often simply observe and cue the class in relatively subdued voices. I kind of prefer that to being "barked" at or feeling like I am in an aerobics class. When necessary, they will also stop the class to review proper alignments and movements and will work 1-on-1 during the various asanas to help those that need it. One of the things I enjoy about a bikram class compared to a vinyasa class is the quiet focus and resulting focused energy in the room. IMO, it's a much more meditative and personal experience. I don't have experience with other studios, so I don't know if this is more the exception or the rule.

Edited by redrox 2006-09-27 12:31 AM
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-09-27 12:29 PM (#65514 - in reply to #65263)

tourist - 2006-09-24 8:03 PM

Peter - glad to hear that things are going well with you! And it seems to me that your system of actually going to fewer classes per week is very sensible. But please don't say we are anti-Bikram. We are simply anti-injury and consider it our ethical duty to keep people informed aso they can make appropriate choices for themselves. How's the dating game going?

I seem to get all the 19 year old girls I want, but can't hook up with girls my own age. I've figured out why. I don't really try to hit on the 19 year olds because I don't think I really have a chance with them. I'm just friendly with them and thus must appear non threatening and they end up asking me out. I think I must try to hit on girls my own age and maybe that's a turn off.

Edited by Peter Mac 2006-09-27 12:36 PM
Peter Mac
Posted 2006-09-27 12:35 PM (#65516 - in reply to #65320)

EmptyCup - 2006-09-25 9:50 AM

At the outset, I will say that Bikram is a great way to start one's journey in yoga, and Bikram does not hide that his method is "Yoga for Beginners".
for beginners?? I don't think so. Doing Yoga in 105 degree heat is definitely not for beginners. I strongly encourage people to take a few other Yoga classes first.

Anyone who is doing more than once a day is obsessive, and anyone really doing more than 2-4x per week is not giving their bodies sufficient time to heal and grow. It's like trying to build a house by using a sledgehammer to knock in the nails.
I have to agree--especially as you get stronger and more flexible. I think it's okay to go daily until you are stronger and more flexible.

Further, I have been very disappointed at the lack of discipline each yoga studio instructor (I have been to 3 different ones) has over the studio. Despite notices posted all over about "Yoga Courtesies", student talk during class, come in and out during final savasana. Many students come in late to class (the same ones, no matter what day or time the class is), and then prop themselves right in front of a heater, adjusting it so they get the "personalized touch". Worse yet, a student came to class last week, coughing and sneezing the ENTIRE time, nonstop. Not only did the instructor not say anything, but now I am sick as well.
WOW! where do you live? I will never complain about the minor complaints I have about my studio again. We have a couple of jerks, but we aren't even in the same league as yours. No one has ever talked in class, come in late all the time, or adjusted the heater in my studio.

I think it's not fair to ask the instructors to yell at rude people. Their goal is to be your guide in Yoga. If someone's behavior is outrageous I have no problems calling them on it. I was in my school library the other day and a student took a call on his cell phone 3 times. I walked up to him, pointed to the "NO CELL PHONES!" sign and reminded him it was a library. I then asked him if I needed to call a librarian. Needless to say he was extremely pissed at me, but I felt was extremely tolerant--I overlooked the first two calls.
EmptyCup
Posted 2006-09-27 3:25 PM (#65537 - in reply to #65516)

But his book is entitled "Beginning Yoga Class" and the schools down here (in South Florida) all state that they teach "Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class"...

I don't mean to imply that it is only for beginners, but clearly there are a vast more asanas than the 26 Bikram uses, and I think that is the point.
redrox
Posted 2006-09-30 2:06 PM (#65826 - in reply to #58938)

But wouldn't Bikram say those 26 were chosen to be functionally complete in and of themselves? His view from what I understand is that you don't really need anything other than those. They aren't necessarily 26 "beginner's" asanas either. We can just agree to disagree, but I still don't consider it a practice for novices. Plenty of folks start there though. Plenty of folks start elsewhere. It's all good!

FWIW, I started with a power/vinyasa and an abbreviated bikram/hot class (only 60 mins.) and I thought that was a good way to go. You still got to work with and learn each of the 26 segments, but it wasn't as exhausting as the full 90 minute version. Gave me a chance to work into the stamina necessary for the full version. I doubt Bikram would agree with that approach though.

Edited by redrox 2006-09-30 2:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)