YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

back bends painful
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

gogirl58
Posted 2009-07-04 5:05 AM (#116852)
Subject: back bends painful

Extreme Veteran

Ok, This always bothers me and I never remember to ask.

Why do many (not all) teachers say that the first back bent (in the warm up) will hurt. It has never hurt me. Even if it usually hurts, it makes no sense to tell someone that it will hurt, thereby causing tension in that person.

Usually the wording in Bikram class if pretty good, but this wording always confuses me. Oh, I also don't know why they insist upon talking about japanese ham sandwiches. not that many non-japanese, know what they really means (although we can guess). Why not just a ham samdwich, isn't all ham pretty thin.

peggy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Duffy Pratt
Posted 2009-07-04 4:34 PM (#116858 - in reply to #116852)
Subject: Re: back bends painful

Don't know about the "hurt like hell, don't be scared" portion of the dialogue. I've always focused on the "don't be scared" part of that instruction.

We've talked about the Japanese Ham Sandwich before. I don't even know if they eat ham in Japan. My guess is that there is no such thing as a Japanese Ham Sandwich. I've looked on the internet and found nothing. I'd love to be proven wrong. In our studio, there's a picture of a "Japanese Ham Sandwich", but its just a ham sandwich on a website that's using mostly Japanese characters.
lockdaknee
Posted 2009-07-04 6:26 PM (#116860 - in reply to #116852)

Regular

Some teacher the other day said 'quesadilla' instead of Japanese ham sandwich seemed to be a more clear analogy for Americans in the Southwest. :0
gogirl58
Posted 2009-07-04 9:29 PM (#116863 - in reply to #116860)

Extreme Veteran

Its a much better analogy, or a peanut butter sandwich.

Posted 2009-07-06 2:58 AM (#116886 - in reply to #116852)

If it doesn't hurt, then you are lucky and that is great.

For most people (including me!) I think that the first backbend is usually very uncomfortable. For the beginner, this will be perceived as pain, and they will think "oh no, this doesn't feel right, I shouldn't be going back like this," even though what they are doing is actually very safe and beneficial. The dialogue says "your back is going to hurt like hell, don't be scared." This isn't intended to create tension - it's just going to acknowledge the tension that is ALREADY there in 99% of people and let them know that it's ok to feel that way. I've heard some teachers say "your back MIGHT hurt like hell, don't be scared," which I almost like better...

As for sandwich, well Bikram DID start off teaching in Japan, where they knew what he was talking about... these days I feel like he usually just says "sandwich"... must have gotten tired of explaining what Japanese ham sandwich is... hehe... as long as you get "no gap anywhere" out of it, you're good to go!
Andre
Posted 2009-07-08 4:36 PM (#116916 - in reply to #116852)

Extreme Veteran

One of my issues with the dialogue is the choice of words at times. Pain isn't Yoga, so hurt, even metaphorically, shouldn't be in there. The dancingj an Duffy both touch on the important distinctions that I think people often miss... the difference between being uncomfortable and pain/fear.
amyf
Posted 2009-07-09 9:19 AM (#116921 - in reply to #116852)

Veteran

W/ bikram i think people can forget ... ITS YOGA!! not a 20k kill yourself run or any other hard core workout. You should feel warmth breath stretch and peace, not pain or struggle. It is SO easy to get competitive or push too hard (which is a lesson in itself ) I have to remind myself all the time ..... its just stretching so RELAX !

Posted 2009-07-09 12:23 PM (#116925 - in reply to #116921)

In my classes (non-Bikram, but the principle is the same for all styles since all styles are practiced with the human body) I always say: "If you feel pain, you are hurting yourself. Don't! If you feel intensity in your muscles (not your joints) great, but never cross the line into pain as you will injure yourself."

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)