YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strange Advice for Teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

asananow
Posted 2008-01-14 9:30 PM (#101991)
Subject: Strange Advice for Teaching

ehow is a new website to me, an article of theirs just came up in a random search I was doing re: sequencing. Perhaps their mission is to free diy-ers from experts and training, I don't know.  However, this article really kind of shocked me:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2095740_teach-yoga-class.html

A further search revealed at least two other articles for aspiring yoga teachers that recommended getting books and going to workshops but nothing about teacher training programs or Yoga Alliance.  Now, I know that Yoga Alliance isn't the be all and end all  Certainly things are done quite differently in India where one studies with a guru for years so even my 'standards' are not traditional.  And yes, the internet is full of varying degrees of hooey.  But this seems like such poor advice, even a little dangerous.  Am I over-reacting? 

edited to have sentences make a little more sense...

Edited by asananow 2008-01-14 9:39 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-14 10:28 PM (#101993 - in reply to #101991)
Subject: RE: Strange Advice for Teaching

Yes. Personally, I think you are over-reacting. Depending on what their mission is, what they wrote can be construed as useful tips. But, I am not ready to discuss all their points one by one, because that shall take a long time. i am sure that for a certain audience, the tips can be quite useful.

Posted 2008-01-15 12:00 AM (#101995 - in reply to #101991)

ever taught a yoga class before?

i ain't gonna lie to ya...
thats pretty good advice

Edited by dhanurasana 2008-01-15 12:03 AM

Posted 2008-01-15 2:22 AM (#101999 - in reply to #101991)
Subject: RE: Strange Advice for Teachin

I think the concern is more with what they leave out, rather than that there's anything wrong with what they're saying. While it may be good tips it seems a bit trivial for anyone that actually has the background to teach a yoga class, and not very useful for someone who doesn't.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up some articles related to things I am very familiar with. There isn't a great deal of misinformation, but some. However, all the articles tend to be very trivial/incomplete/silly. While they may give a list of things that are basically true, the articles mostly leave out so much important stuff that they're simply not very useful in real life. It seems like a rather silly website. It's an interesting concept, except it doesn't appear more knowlegable people are attracted to writing articles there.

Edited by aystam 2008-01-15 2:38 AM

Posted 2008-01-15 4:27 AM (#102007 - in reply to #101991)

I'll presume the topic for this post is "strange advice for teaching" since that is how it's titled.

I've read it and it certainly is interesting and it appears someone put a little thought into writing it. Not knowing their motives, their audience, or their backgrounds, I can't really say much more.

I would not want yoga instruction from someone basing their teaching on that list, either in whole or in part. Though I would not mind taking dance instruction based on that list, but Yoga, no thank you.

The introductory sentence for the piece, could be used for just about any offering at the local gym/fitness center. And, I suspect, yoga as exercise is the perspective from which it is written. C'est la vie. Some will climb in the boat while others are merely content to be dragged behind it by a rope.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-01-15 4:28 AM

Posted 2008-01-15 8:55 AM (#102018 - in reply to #101991)

I disagree. I studied dance for many years and taught occasionally. I would not want to take dance from someone following that list any more than Yoga. Aside from that it's not a very good list for dance, what does apply is useless for someone who already knows how to teach dance, and equally useless for someone who doesn't.

Posted 2008-01-15 12:41 PM (#102029 - in reply to #101991)

it would be impossible to put everything you would need to know to teach a yoga class (alignment, sequencing, philosophy, etc...) into a crappy little article like that.

naturally, anyone teaching yoga should have their own foundation of practice and understanding.

i assume the writer knew this, and decided to pick his/her battles.

anyways, the article is titled "how to teach a yoga class" not "yoga teacher training"

it looked like there were other yoga articles, though, such as "how to do downward facing dog," "how to do warrior I," etc...

perhaps if you consolidated the knowledge from those articles with the how to teach yoga article, you'd be able to teach yoga classes.

maybe even meet requirements for certain certifications
now i'm just being ridiculous
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-15 1:11 PM (#102032 - in reply to #101991)

I just found the site rather amusing and it sparked some other ideas.

How to become a parent in 5 simple steps (step 1 meet someone, step 2 have sex, step 3 go through nausea, indigestion, backache and more, step 4 learn how to breastfeed, step 5 learn how to change a diaper)

How to win a Nobel Peace Price in 6 simple steps

How to cure AIDS in 5 simple steps

This site is nothing more than an advertising magnet - it features this inane content so it can have the keyword "yoga" repeated over and over to drive traffic to it and ad revenue. I looked at the other list of yoga How To's and had a good chuckle. Awaken your Kundalini in 6 easy steps.

But I was really hoping the site would tell me:
How to make extra income writing this drivel

Posted 2008-01-15 2:13 PM (#102039 - in reply to #101991)

Or how about "how to be a physical therapist"?

Decide on your style, advertise it so people know what they're getting, choreograph some moves, set them to nice music specifically designed for PT, give some home exercises, send a bill to blue cross".
asananow
Posted 2008-01-15 10:36 PM (#102058 - in reply to #101991)

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I do usually take free advice at 'face value' but this just took me by surprise. 

I actually agree the advice itself seems sensible as far as the steps, it just doesn't give any indication, or even a hint, that one would become trained or could study to teach yoga. It seems to me to give the impression that taking a few yoga classes and getting a few books would be all the background necessary.

I'm actually almost halfway through my YTT and I would be scared silly to teach a class at this point.  I feel comfortable talking about yoga, encouraging folks to try yoga and even offering a little advice, but teaching seems like such a big responsibility. 

Posted 2008-01-16 12:03 AM (#102060 - in reply to #102058)

teaching IS a big responsibility.
and it can be petrifying to be up in front of a room full of people who are all expecting something from you.
but the only way to get over it is to do it.
then it isn't so daunting.
just picture all the students naked, or in their underwear.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-16 11:02 AM (#102073 - in reply to #102039)

purnayoga - 2008-01-15 2:13 PM

Or how about "how to be a physical therapist"?

Decide on your style, advertise it so people know what they're getting, choreograph some moves, set them to nice music specifically designed for PT, give some home exercises, send a bill to blue cross".

Haha!

you forgot, send the bill to blue cross then fight with them for 5 months before you get paid because "health care" is a big misnomer for insurance companies
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-18 9:35 AM (#208708 - in reply to #101991)

Regular

I think one should feel contented in whatever information he gets from any resource, if the information is incomplete try getting it from other sources> Please take my advice in a positive way. Thanks.
Ericmayars
Posted 2011-10-03 12:26 PM (#209303 - in reply to #101991)
Subject: Re: Strange Advice for Teaching

You wish to practice yoga but you do not want to miss your family or children while you are busy with your sessions? There is a solution to this problem. You can now practice this art of staying healthy with your family and kids with Rainbow Kids Yoga. This is an internationally recognized training institute in
Yoga Teacher Training and training sessions for your entire family. Even the kids won’t be left out while you work hard to stay fit and healthy. This institute as found in 2008 by Katya Fialkova and Gopala Amir Yaffe. It specializes in 200 hours training programs, 3-D programs for kids, family and teachers, training for partners and retreats where they can stay with their families and relax their mind. This institute was found with the intention of clubbing fun and creativity to the monotonous sessions.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)