YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rabbit
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

miss dee
Posted 2004-03-17 1:51 PM (#4538)
Subject: Rabbit

Hello All-

after watching thousands of students in rabbit pose I have found: it is more beneficial to get the top of the head squarely in the floor - the feet together - ankles flat on the floor shoulders away from the ears than to touch the forehead to the knees. I believe after all the above criteria can be met - then you can lift the spine up (curl the spine) trying to get the forehead closer to the knees.

it is my opinion that most students, in their struggle to get the forehead to the knees, over tuck the chin and roll onto the upper back of the head and crunch down their cervical spine.

any ideas opinions or thoughts about this mysterious pose??

Shanti.
Darla
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-17 2:14 PM (#4540 - in reply to #4538)
Subject: Sasasana

I think it's a difference in styles' teaching, although I think the thoughts are similar.

I agree with getting the shoulders away from the ears. Given the fact that Bikram tends to curl the spine, whereas most of the other tradtions work to elongate evenly, what you're saying makes sense -- for Bikram.

We would take a look at someone's flexibility. For example, I have people who can't get into Vajrasana, so it's pretty impossible to get them to put their head on the floor with the ankles flat.

We'd work on Vajrasana, getting the spine elongated, the kidney area of the back full, and the feet moving towards comfortable. That's usually the largest problem.

Then we'd tell them to work to bring the torso towards the knees without lifting the bottom, spine straight at this point. Doesn't happen for many for a long time. Then we'd work to get them to begin to bring the crown of the head towards the floor, torso still lying on the knees. This takes great hip flexibility so working on this is a good idea anyway.

Only last, once the head was safely on the crown and not rolling back, would we suggest they reach around to grab the heels and think about lifting the bottom.

In most traditions, this is far from a beginner pose, since it's hugely demanding on the neck. Anusara doesn't even mention it and if you do it in class after headstand (for which it's a GREAT release) many teachers freak. Iyengar teachers just say, "I don't teach that." If a teacher is actually familiar with it, it's usually taught long after students can hold a 5 minute headstand, beacuse then you know the neck muscles probably won't strain.

Anyway, we'd lift up to sitting, then bring the head down to the floor. Get extension first, before flexion. If someone can keep their bottom down but the head doesn't meet the knees, we might suggest they wiggle the knees forward -- IF we know they're strong.

See what I mean, bean? But those shoulders may not become earrings, in any sense of the word. No room for movement!

Christine
Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-17 2:24 PM (#4542 - in reply to #4538)
Subject: RE: Rabbit

The instructors at the studio I practice at all tell us if our head is not touching our knees once we are in the position, to gradually inch our knees one at a time toward our head but NOT to lift our head and try to bring it back towards our knees - not sure I remember the reasoning but I thought it was to protect the neck???
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-17 8:37 PM (#4560 - in reply to #4542)

Not sure on that one, Kathy Ann. Perhaps because in order to do that most people would hunch their shoulders or come too far onto the back of the head? Once you have some pressure on the head, you don't want to move it.

I had a senior teacher give a correction to a student to separate the feet more in order to straighten the elbows. It did help the student straighten her arms, but I'm not sure if it accomplished anything else. Maybe took a little pressure off the head.
miss dee
Posted 2004-03-18 9:25 AM (#4569 - in reply to #4538)

i am not crazy about 'walking the knees forward' either.
it seems too risky for those who are struggling so.

Posted 2004-03-18 10:10 AM (#4571 - in reply to #4538)

Rabbit is another one of those asanas that's easy and comfy for me--I hear tell men are able to do it as opposed to firm-fixed--wow does that hurt but I see the ladies just snoozing through it.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 1:48 PM (#4582 - in reply to #4571)

Bruce -

You know how I lecture you about being too driven to be at a certain place in your yoga? I speak from my experience with Fixed Firm. Still can't get my dang butt down to the floor, after 4 years! But I'm working on letting go . . . honest, I am . . .
miss dee
Posted 2004-03-18 3:02 PM (#4585 - in reply to #4538)

Bruce-

I heard the same thing in teacher training- i don't get it. it is my experience that most INDIVIDUALS have trouble with either rabbit or camel. the yogi's sex having no bearing on the ability.

Most of us are either more metaphysically comfy working directly on either the front or the back of the chakras and of course physically some of us are more comfy "going in" in rabbit or "opening up" in camel.

This is just an example of one of Bikram's random statements that are taken as "TRUTH" by followers. Some of it is just plain 'ole sexist crap!

Dee
miss dee
Posted 2004-03-18 3:10 PM (#4586 - in reply to #4538)

hi Christine-

yes i know what you mean "Bean" about rabbit being considered an advanced pose.
I often have concerns with brand newbies who can't "listen and do" very well.
they are always turning and twisting here- even with many cautions...

i try to keep as much weight off of that head as possible by not allowing them to feel as if they should keep tucking in to get rounder. that's why i don't ever stress forehead to the knees. just a simple forward bend to counter the camel.

blessings.
dee

Kathy Ann
Posted 2004-03-18 3:22 PM (#4587 - in reply to #4538)

I was able to do pretty well in Rabbit from the beginning and have made some adjustments since then such as keeping my feet flat behind me rather than up on my toes, heels together and keeping my shoulders away from my ears.

I still find the Camel to be quite intense but I feel like I am doing it OK although I am not sure because I cannot see myself.

Fixed firm was really difficult for me in the beginning. I think it was because I do a lot of hiking and my leg muscles were developed in a different way. But now (after about 6 months) I have progressed to where I can get all the way back pretty easily and I am starting to be able to bring my knees back together (not quite all the way) after getting down.

I am certainly no expert, but I would think that body type and proportions, past physical experience, etc. probably do have more to do with the ability to perform certain asanas than the male vs. female issue.

Posted 2004-03-18 4:06 PM (#4595 - in reply to #4587)

I'm sticking with my sexist point of view regarding the firm-fixed pose--just CAN'T be cause I'm a 200lb guy with nearly 3 decades spent marching in the military that keeps me from getting in the posture...and camel--I LOVE camel! And I think I do it well. A teacher commented it looks like I enjoy it. I can't get into it by "putting my hands at the small of the back--can't bring my arms behind me to do it BUT, here Iagain I think there's a difference between the male female torso (well of course there is a difference) but I think a woman's trunk is longer maybe benefitting from the support--I don't have that much space between the butt and back needing supporting.

Kathy Ann - 2004-03-18 2:22 PM

I was able to do pretty well in Rabbit from the beginning and have made some adjustments since then such as keeping my feet flat behind me rather than up on my toes, heels together and keeping my shoulders away from my ears.

I still find the Camel to be quite intense but I feel like I am doing it OK although I am not sure because I cannot see myself.

Fixed firm was really difficult for me in the beginning. I think it was because I do a lot of hiking and my leg muscles were developed in a different way. But now (after about 6 months) I have progressed to where I can get all the way back pretty easily and I am starting to be able to bring my knees back together (not quite all the way) after getting down.

I am certainly no expert, but I would think that body type and proportions, past physical experience, etc. probably do have more to do with the ability to perform certain asanas than the male vs. female issue.
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 5:38 PM (#4604 - in reply to #4538)

No, Bruce.
That's not a gender thing.
My shoulders are so tight I cannot even remotely get my hands on my lower back to make any difference. As a matter of fact, that kinks up the pose so badly for me I can't lift or open my front chest at all.

So what you're telling me is you're tight in the upper body, or over-developed like so many military men.

Firm Fixed Pose is simply requires that inner rotation/spiral and manually moving the man parts out of the way. For goodness sake, it's not like there aren't poses where girl poses get in the way! Look at Ardha Matsyendrasana at the end of the Bikram series. What a PIA! or PIB.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 5:52 PM (#4606 - in reply to #4604)

I can't help but think about my first Bikram class, when I told the teacher I thought my legs in particular with too short and muscular to ever do Garurasana
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 6:01 PM (#4608 - in reply to #4606)

I assume you mean Garudasana?

Too short? No.
Too muscular (which can mean too tight hips?) Perhaps. That'll change. I also have Calves of Steel. YEAH BABY!

Great poses.
Did you know the final pose is to bring the knees directly in line with the belly button, stacked on top of themselves like Ghomukasana. Then one bends over to bring the hands, palms still perfectly together, to the floor? Talk about demanding on the shoulders! I'm not there, but I love to try.

Christine
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-03-18 7:19 PM (#4620 - in reply to #4608)

Hmmm. That's not how they spell it in our teacher training manual.

I can get my legs wrapped around now, so it just goes to show that things we think "impossible" aren't always. I have a body like a man -- pretty muscular underneath this layer of cush!

That final pose sounds like something from Ashtanga. My body just does not do that crazy stuff. Maybe someday, after I work through this SI shtuff, I can get back on track. Sigh.

Posted 2004-03-18 7:43 PM (#4621 - in reply to #4604)

Cool--I'm overdeveloped. Actually, before I started Bikram, my goal was to do 100 pushups and to see how much I could bench press--the latter screwing me up cause I didn't have a spotter and I was alone in the garage--what a dope. Now Christine, you're the woman with her legs hanging out of the sun roof while driving and you can't get your hands to your lower back--wher did that overdevelopment come from??

YogaDancer - 2004-03-18 4:38 PM

No, Bruce.
That's not a gender thing.
My shoulders are so tight I cannot even remotely get my hands on my lower back to make any difference. As a matter of fact, that kinks up the pose so badly for me I can't lift or open my front chest at all.

So what you're telling me is you're tight in the upper body, or over-developed like so many military men.

Firm Fixed Pose is simply requires that inner rotation/spiral and manually moving the man parts out of the way. For goodness sake, it's not like there aren't poses where girl poses get in the way! Look at Ardha Matsyendrasana at the end of the Bikram series. What a PIA! or PIB.

Christine
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-03-18 8:17 PM (#4622 - in reply to #4538)

for me it's not overdevelopment, Bruce.
It's hating the sight of my mother in law for 10 years, while she was our dependant. I never told my husband (I pick my battles) nor was I ever anything but accommodating and pleasant. She once told her daughters that they "should be more like Christine. She cooks for me, brings me treats (diabetic) and really knows how to make things I like." Uh-huh.

Garuasana must be a typo.
Garuda is a mythical bird that never, ever lands. It circles the earth. Trust me, dah'link. Bikram didn't make this one up.

C.
Rodney
Posted 2004-04-09 10:21 PM (#5277 - in reply to #4622)

Actually, Bikram is so dumb that he mispells Garudasana. He never went to school, you know.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)