YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strained muscle
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Virginia Bikram
Posted 2004-04-09 4:49 PM (#5266)
Subject: strained muscle

I've been practicing yoga for about 4 years...mainly Ashtanga and Hatha and most recently Bikram - 2-4 times a week for the last 2 1/2 months. I believe I must have strained a muscle just above my knee. Feels more like a muscle than a tendon issue. It doesn't hurt at all when I walk but only when I kneel or go up and down stairs. The pain is right on top of my kneecap and slightly above it.

So, I have been resting for the last 3 days. Still hurts. Just mild pain, nothing excrutiating. I'm getting antsy to get back to practice, but my mind tells me I know I should continue to rest until the pain goes away. I assume I should, right?

Anyone have any ideas - should I also be icing it and/or doing any kind of gentle stretches or exercises? I know its hard to diagnose an issue over email, but just thought I'd toss it out there. It doesn't feel serious enough to have a Dr. check it out, however if the pain lasts for a week I will.

Appreciate any thoughts!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-04-09 5:26 PM (#5269 - in reply to #5266)
Subject: RE: strained muscle

Could be a patella strain Ginny--I've had that in years gone by from jogging. Interestingly, yoga has not bothered me at all. However, the patella is encased in the quadriceps muscle where the discomfort you're talking about seems to be coming from. Pain there is normally caused during running, jumping, climbing, kicking and downhill running as an over-pronation of the foot may increase/alter the forces on the lateral facet of the patella due to the position of the knee. This "poor tracking" of the patella will cause poor distribution of the forces and cause pain known as "patello-femoral pain/stress syndrome" which my doctor said I had. It was identified by aching in my knee, occasional swelling and often locking or giving way.

The cure? Stretch the quads, hamstrings gently and regularly, step exercises while watching the knee tracking, ice and anti-inflammatories to control pain and inflammation and last and certainly least, surgury to correct the alignment of the patella.

Good luck!

loss of hyaline cartilage is called chondromalacia, and pain is due to expose bone

Virginia Bikram - 2004-04-09 3:49 PM

I've been practicing yoga for about 4 years...mainly Ashtanga and Hatha and most recently Bikram - 2-4 times a week for the last 2 1/2 months. I believe I must have strained a muscle just above my knee. Feels more like a muscle than a tendon issue. It doesn't hurt at all when I walk but only when I kneel or go up and down stairs. The pain is right on top of my kneecap and slightly above it.

So, I have been resting for the last 3 days. Still hurts. Just mild pain, nothing excrutiating. I'm getting antsy to get back to practice, but my mind tells me I know I should continue to rest until the pain goes away. I assume I should, right?

Anyone have any ideas - should I also be icing it and/or doing any kind of gentle stretches or exercises? I know its hard to diagnose an issue over email, but just thought I'd toss it out there. It doesn't feel serious enough to have a Dr. check it out, however if the pain lasts for a week I will.

Appreciate any thoughts!
Tibard
Posted 2004-04-10 9:01 PM (#5284 - in reply to #5266)

Okay Dr. Bruce , my turn:

When I'm practicing the last phase of awkward pose, I get a popping feeling in the front of my lower leg (in the front area below my knee). It feels more like a vein or something is shifting over. Any idea what this might be? It doesn't hinder my practice, I just don't like the feeling I get; I'm hoping it's nothing major. Also for some reason awkward pose kills my feet.

Thanks!

Posted 2004-04-11 8:40 AM (#5288 - in reply to #5284)

Tina, that's why Bikram calls it awkward pose--it's not something we do routinely so going into it is sure gonna give you unusual noises and put strain to the feet. I know about the patella stuff cause I had the syndrome and did research on it, what's shifitng in your lower leg I can't be sure about--but I'd imagine it's ligament & muscles aligning as you go into the asana. It's an unnatural position isn't it? Let's call it awkward feeling pose among us cause I concur with the feeling.

Perhaps Christine will help us out on this one.

Tibard - 2004-04-10 8:01 PM

Okay Dr. Bruce , my turn:

When I'm practicing the last phase of awkward pose, I get a popping feeling in the front of my lower leg (in the front area below my knee). It feels more like a vein or something is shifting over. Any idea what this might be? It doesn't hinder my practice, I just don't like the feeling I get; I'm hoping it's nothing major. Also for some reason awkward pose kills my feet.

Thanks!
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-12 9:04 AM (#5301 - in reply to #5266)

Tibard, that's a tendon rolling. Not good for the knees at all.

Check the alignment of your knees. If your feet area part, keep your knees apart the exact same distance. Don't let them fall in. Sure, that's easier, but you're definitely messing with the alignment of your knees and obviously straining them. If your feet are together, keep your knees together without pressing.

There is a reason the fitness industry as ceased to recommend deep knee bends. Now you're experiencing it. OW!

Christine
Virginia Bikram
Posted 2004-04-12 9:44 AM (#5302 - in reply to #5266)

Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps it was running that caused it afterall. I did go on about a 4 mile run, rather hilly, for the 1st time recently in many months. Just assumed it was the yoga since that is what I do regularly. Who knows what caused it.

Its feeling much better but still slightly painful. Thanks again for your ideas and feedback!
Tibard
Posted 2004-04-12 12:57 PM (#5318 - in reply to #5266)

Christine,

During the last part of awkward pose ( when the knees are pressed together going down to a squat), are you saying to make sure my feet are together to prevent that popping sensation? I'm asking again because it's not taught that way (feet 6 inches apart, knees together).
I'll also try this tonight in addition to your other suggestion (see guilty of pride forum). Maybe that's why I've started to experience a little aching in my knees (started a few days ago)

I'm so appreciative of all the guidance, as a semi-newbie, this info is invaluable.

Tina
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-04-12 3:01 PM (#5322 - in reply to #5266)

I realize this is taught feet apart, knees together. However, check what would be the alignment of the tendons in the knees. If your knees are bowing in like that, you're going to stress not only the insides of the knee, but the outsides of the ankle. If you have any issues at all going on, this will ascerbate them. Don't be surprised if you start feeling it in the hips and/or lower back, since what translates up, also translates down.

Either feet and knees together, of both feet and knees apart. Line them up. Kneecap over the ankle over the middle toe.

This advice might be contrary to what your Bikram teachers tell you, but they're not the ones who address injuries from yoga. Other teachers, such as those of us who teach Special Conditions do. We often find correcting alignment issues corrects a myriad of issues -- it's teaching someone to maintain the alignment. I just don't want someone to go away saying they were injured by yoga when it is we doing the yoga incorrectly or unmindfully that causes the issues. Ask yourself, always, if your body is lined up. Knees and elbows in where appropriate. Natural curves maintained in the neck and spine. Things like that.

Goodl luck. Give these alignment things a shot and see if you feel a little better.

Christine

Posted 2004-04-14 11:12 AM (#5370 - in reply to #5302)

I'd betcha it was the run Ginny. When my knee really bothered me, I remember those long runs--not hurting while running but afterwards.
[

QUOTE]Virginia Bikram - 2004-04-12 8:44 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps it was running that caused it afterall. I did go on about a 4 mile run, rather hilly, for the 1st time recently in many months. Just assumed it was the yoga since that is what I do regularly. Who knows what caused it.

Its feeling much better but still slightly painful. Thanks again for your ideas and feedback!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)