YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

muscle building/weight loss
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

BostonBrian
Posted 2004-06-04 3:40 PM (#7166)
Subject: muscle building/weight loss

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've been practicing yoga on and off for years, but just started Bikram Yoga in Boston and for the most part really like it. My goals are to lose weight, tone up and build muscle. I've heard that Ashtanga Yoga is also very good for these purposes. Does anyone have any opinions on Ashtanga -vs- Bikram. In order to achieve these goals how often per week do you think I should attend class. I also lift some weights and do light running at my gym.

Brian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2004-06-04 4:13 PM (#7170 - in reply to #7166)
Subject: RE: muscle building/weight loss

Does anyone have any opinions of Ashtanga vs. Bikram ? Have YOU ever come to the right place. There are opinions everywhere. Bikram as we've mostly realized is often not for beginners unless one simply wants some exercise and not have to worry about studying the art & science of yoga--the teacher's tell you what to do and when. I don't think this is necessarily bad and as Bikram was my first venture into the yoga realm, I doubt I'd have stuck with it if I had to wade through incense, chanting, and talks about chakras. While my self-adapted guru YogaDancer may fill you in on Ashtanga, the couple of exposures I've had have been positive but not as rewarding to where I am as the Bikram practice. The more I get into it, get to know instructors and fellow practitioners, the more I enjoy it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)