YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

i got hurt very badly ina bikram class-beware
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

terminator
Posted 2004-05-30 2:15 AM (#6954)
Subject: i got hurt very badly ina bikram class-beware

i have a chronic foot injury that is geeting worse and now i am in a wheelchair ,, i hope i can walk again someday ... i went to 5 classes and on the 5th one went to the emergency room .. i did exatcly what the treacher said and i got hurt real bad ..my yoga practice is ruined and i cant work or walk---screw bikram --my life is ruined .........
Top of the page Bottom of the page
afroyogi
Posted 2004-05-30 3:13 PM (#6970 - in reply to #6954)
Subject: RE: i got hurt very badly ina bikram class-beware

Terminator, I'm very sorry for you. Please tell us how and what did happen exactly, in which asana did it happen? You know, usually there is a warning, like bad pain and stuff, before something really breaks, torns or falls apart. Do you really belief it was because of practicing bikram yoga? Or could it have happened during football training as well?
I can imagine that you feel very much pissed off right now and you look for somebody to blame ... but please be honest with the forum and yourself.

Posted 2004-05-30 3:53 PM (#6971 - in reply to #6970)

I certainly second Afroyogi here; however, if indeed it was due to negilgence on the part of the instructor and/or the Bikram regiment, sue 'em silly.
Bay Guy
Posted 2004-05-30 6:24 PM (#6975 - in reply to #6954)

I'm with Afroyogi --- tell us what happened. Since most of
us do Bikram yoga, we'd like to know how such an injury is
possible and how to avoid it.
Living Vibe :-)
Posted 2004-05-31 1:15 AM (#6978 - in reply to #6954)

I understand how sum1 might be disapointed w/ a class or instructor.there r allott of new instructors(that happen 2 B young)and havnt dealt w/ injuries B4,there is good and badd pain in recovery and U can only judge that urself in the end if it dosnt feel right then back off.I once was bedd ridden 4 months and didnt think i was goin 2 walk again(let alone live pain free)and now im shooting for the stars Pain free and biking 30 miles a day :-)
TERMINATOR
Posted 2004-05-31 5:20 PM (#7004 - in reply to #6954)

IT WAS THE TOE STAND ...AND NO IT WAS NO FOOTBALL INJURY ...IM VERY AWARE IT WAS IN THE CLASS THAT I GOT HURT IAM SUING THEM SILLY ITS BEEN 12 MONTHS NOW AND ITS GETTING WORSE AND I WILL BE IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR A LONG TIME IT LOOKS LIKE ....ITS LAME THAT SOME OF YOU INSINUATE IT WAS MY FAULT ... I DID THE TEACHERS INSTRUCTIONS AND I GOT HURT ...HOW MUCH PLAINER DO I NEED TO SAY IT? NOT TO MENTION I HAVE MET 6 PEOPLE SO FAR I S.F. WHO HAVE GOTTEN HURT BADLY IN BIKRAM ...2 ARE SUING ...BIKRAM IN MY OPNION NEEDS TO CHANGE HIS TEACHING METHODS OR GET CLOSED DOWN BEFORE MORE GET DISABLED FOR LIFE LIKE ME .... 2 PEOPLE HAVE ALSO DIED IN HIS CLASSES DUE TO THE HEAT !!! STOP DEFENDING A DANGEROUS PRACTICE ...ITS SO EASY TO POINT FINGERS AT THE STUDENTS UNTIL...LORD FORBID IT HAPPENED TO YOU AND YOU GET HURT OR WORSE LIKE THESE 2 POOR SOULS.....DIE.....
afroyogi
Posted 2004-05-31 6:43 PM (#7007 - in reply to #6954)

<< ITS LAME THAT SOME OF YOU INSINUATE IT WAS MY FAULT ... >>

It's lame that you only came up with so little information in the first place. I was just asking questions to gain some more information, so everybody can make up his own mind. This is the internet ya know, one shouldn't just believe everything one reads here.
... and thx a lot for shouting!

Posted 2004-05-31 6:45 PM (#7008 - in reply to #7004)

I'm throwing the bull**** flag here--nobody ever died doing Bikram. Got some looser tring to to get folks riled up--probably a Power Yoga disciple.
afroyogi
Posted 2004-05-31 6:46 PM (#7009 - in reply to #6954)
Subject: I GOT HURT VERY BADLY IN A BIKRAM FORUM - BEWARE!!!

Now my ears are bleeding! I'm gonna sue Terminator silly
terminator
Posted 2004-05-31 7:09 PM (#7010 - in reply to #6954)

wow...scary ...i went to the 2nd annual yoga convention in s.f. and yes 2 people did die from the heat according to several sources....your responses and cheap shots to someone that got hurt seriously are horrid and mean ....i will never post on this board again ....your arrogance and ignorance and lack of compassion are truly frightening ...others will get hurt and others will lose their dreams of a normal life ...be thankful your body still works normally ... i would give anything to able to walk again normally !...then again what should i expect from forums on the net ? most of them are full of cruel folks who love to kick when someones down(in my case literally) bye ! IM SURE YOULL HAVE FUN DISSING ME ...SO PREDICTABLE

Posted 2004-05-31 7:27 PM (#7012 - in reply to #7010)

I'm misting up and flaggelating myself for being insensitive. OK, I'm better now. Whew, that was darn near 30 seconds of sorrow.

Posted 2004-05-31 7:29 PM (#7013 - in reply to #7009)
Subject: RE: I GOT HURT VERY BADLY IN A BIKRAM FORUM - BEWARE!!!

Sorry for your virgin ears there Stefan--see I'm sympathetic.

afroyogi - 2004-05-31 5:46 PM

Now my ears are bleeding! I'm gonna sue Terminator silly

Posted 2004-05-31 7:32 PM (#7014 - in reply to #7010)

and one more thing--get over it Termionator. As Afroyogi wrote, we were initially curious and wanting to help--then you come unglued. If indeed you are hurt, I'm very sorry and wish you the best; however, that would not give you carte blanche to be an *******.

terminator - 2004-05-31 6:09 PM

wow...scary ...i went to the 2nd annual yoga convention in s.f. and yes 2 people did die from the heat according to several sources....your responses and cheap shots to someone that got hurt seriously are horrid and mean ....i will never post on this board again ....your arrogance and ignorance and lack of compassion are truly frightening ...others will get hurt and others will lose their dreams of a normal life ...be thankful your body still works normally ... i would give anything to able to walk again normally !...then again what should i expect from forums on the net ? most of them are full of cruel folks who love to kick when someones down(in my case literally) bye ! IM SURE YOULL HAVE FUN DISSING ME ...SO PREDICTABLE
Karen
Posted 2004-05-31 9:21 PM (#7017 - in reply to #6954)

WOW.....I broke my ankle in January (not in a bikram class) and as soon as that cast was off, I was back at my bikram studio. It is the only exercise that actually helped my recovery. It was very painful but yet the best ankle strengthener I could ask for and it gave me a larger range of motion much quicker than the exercises the doctor was telling me to do.
I hope you have a complete recovery with your foot and hopefully you can enjoy a different kind of yoga in the future.
Good Luck to you.
Karen
yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-01 4:17 AM (#7022 - in reply to #6954)

I have to give some vailditiy to Terminator claims about death and Bikram. I know of one confirmed death and one additional rumor of one. In each cases both had heart conditions. But Bikram's yoga class is a beginner class. Yoga should bring relief to such chronic aliments not cause people to die. The first sequence should be challenging, but not impossible. You should eventually be able to do the the entire 84 classic Asanas not just 26 your whole life.

Sucks about your predicament Terminator. Heal your leg and go try another yoga somewhere else. Remember to breath.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-06-01 9:20 AM (#7026 - in reply to #7022)

I won't respond to Terminator, as he/she is not reading the board anymore anyway . . .

However, I will say this: It would not be surprising to me if 2 people died doing Bikram, considering how many people do Bikram Yoga these days. Statistically, it may make sense. I wonder how many people die each year running? golfing? on their friggin' sofas?!

Posted 2004-06-01 9:56 AM (#7029 - in reply to #7026)

I temporarily died on my sofa last night--new Bikram studio and as there was just one class Memorial Day, LOADS of people and it was record breaking heat and humidity here in South Texas--THEN, fool that I am, I did yard work, cleaned out the barn and fired up the BBQ smoker--ach du lieber--water and Shinerbock SUmmer Stock all afternoon to rehydrate--then I died watching Tom Selleck portraying Ike pre-DDay.
yogabrian
Posted 2004-06-01 1:31 PM (#7033 - in reply to #6954)

I personally up have until these events have never heard of anyone dying in a yoga class. Not in 5000 years of it's practice. I think that the extremity of the heat is what is causing so many problems. Too good is no good. Even in India they have the common sense not to do yoga in the sweltering heating. Practice is generally before or after the sun reaches it peak. I think Bikram created a double edged sword with his series. Done correctly with proper experienced guidence it is great. However the done incorrectly it will hurt you or even kill you. When did yoga become something you had to worry about sustaining major injury or death? Hatha yoga is supposed to heal you not hurt you.

Posted 2004-06-01 3:27 PM (#7041 - in reply to #7033)

Here's my problem with people practicing Bikram yoga and then complaining about it. If it's too hot and/or too humid, don't practice--leave. If the weather in the room is causing you problems, leave. I think all we Bikramites sign waivers when we start and while the waivers excuse the facility and instructors from some semblence of reasonability, it does not excuse them from negligence nor does it excuse the individual practitioner from personal responsibility.

I walked out on a studio Monday due to excessive heat & humidity and mentioned it to the owner. They say they're going to get a dehumidifier--that's when I'll go back. Now if I were attempting toe stand and the instructor came up and kicked my leg out from under me, not only would there be a donnybrook but we'd all be in court poste haste--the instructor charged with assault and me charged with attempted murder.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-06-01 4:16 PM (#7052 - in reply to #7041)

I have heard that Bikram yoga did not used to be performed in this much heat. I personally do not believe the heat has to be so high, but you've all heard me rant on that.

That being said, I still think when you are packing 25 people in per class all over America, you're going to have people die. Statistics. (I'm not saying it's right, just that it's possible. Esp. with our overweight, out of shape nation.)

Edited by My Cats' Mom 2004-06-01 4:18 PM
LoraB
Posted 2004-06-01 4:32 PM (#7055 - in reply to #6954)

It's not just the people who are overweight and out of shape - it's also the general apathetic, if I complain enough I'll get my way because people will want to shut me up, let someone else fix the problem attitude.
Working in a doctor's office one really sees the best and worst in people. It's easy to be upbeat when things are easy, but it's the people who are really sick but are still patient and friendly with us when they call that I admire.
My Cats' Mom
Posted 2004-06-02 9:13 AM (#7076 - in reply to #6954)

I know, Lora. My sister works in a hospital and she is constantly vascillating between being sad and angry.

We definitely have a band-aid culture (not saying that's what you are Terminator, if you're listening), always looking for the easy pill to fix our woes.

It is hard sometimes to remain hopeful, but we have to focus on those people who are inspirations to us all.

Peace,
Gwyn
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)