YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Practice with a head cold?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Elaine
Posted 2002-10-29 6:16 PM (#1115)
Subject: Practice with a head cold?

I have a pretty bad cold, but am desperate to go to my yoga class. I had a foot injury that has kept me away and I am now over that...I probably won't go, though, because my sniffling and coughing would be a terrible distraction and bad exposure for fellow students and teacher. Anybody have thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Leelee
Posted 2002-11-01 10:30 PM (#1124 - in reply to #1115)
Subject: Practice with a head cold?

Please don't go to yoga when you are sick. Lay down and do "couch yoga." That's what your body needs. Going to yoga when you are sick can acutally make you sicker. You need to rest and let your body fight off your illness. Any more physical activity than that makes it harder for your body to heal.

When I'm sick. I practice yoga by being aware of what I need. That usually means chocolate poptarts and reruns on TV. Feel better....
dor
Posted 2003-12-03 8:50 PM (#2794 - in reply to #1115)
Subject: RE: Practice with a head cold?

Ahimsa which means non violence. that is one of the sutras you need to practice while you heal.To practice yoga in class is learning the skills you need live your best life.YOU can enjoy yoga all day.I think it is unfair to the other students if you are ill,but never stop practicing.Ask your teacher for some asana's to practice .If you have a head cold you may want to think of the colors red,orange,rcombined with indigo when you meditate. namasta......love and light
Jacquie
Posted 2004-05-13 1:16 AM (#6315 - in reply to #2794)

If you are unwell, either ill with a cold, flu etc or just plain drained, try gentle restorative asanas at home, this way, you are easing your body into recovery.......there are many stretches for recovery....listen to your body....start with just reclining asana, such as viparita karani, or reclined cobblers pose. cover with a blanket....and feel your breath...
I practise when I have a cold....it helps my recovery, but everyone is different, such is Yoga - an individual practice.....
kulkarnn
Posted 2004-05-13 11:02 AM (#6335 - in reply to #1115)

Original Question: have a pretty bad cold, but am desperate to go to my yoga class. I had a foot injury that has kept me away and I am now over that...I probably won't go, though, because my sniffling and coughing would be a terrible distraction and bad exposure for fellow students and teacher. Anybody have thoughts?

Answer: Dear Elaine, I am not much worried about your bothering others with your cold. I am more concerned with yourself. Note, when you have Cold, many things will happen, but the two minimum I am mentioning. Firstly, when you are having cold, means you have less energy to do other things as your body is throwing junk through the mucus. So, you should not do much exercise. Exercise warms you up and reduces the feeling of cold, which is a BAD practice. Neither you should take ginger teas, and other herbs, nor take hot showers or saunas. They are all draining on energy and give good feeling at the cost of removing your stored energey, Prana.

Secondly, when you have a cold, definitely your breathing is not smooth. And, smooth breathing where slow, Ujjayi or whatever, is most important in Yoga. So, if you do Yoga with cold it would be useless.

Now, what you need to do is: Find, whether the cold is really a lot, if it is take rest. If the cold is frequent, find the cause of cold, such as Bad weather, Bad water, infected milk, pesticides in the food, etc. Then get rid of cold problem first.

If you still want to do little bit of Yoga on the side, with little bit benefits, go ahead.

I wish you luck with Coldless condition.
neel kulkarni www.authenticyoga.org
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)