YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

is this possible?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

The Mind
Posted 2004-05-11 10:41 AM (#6216)
Subject: is this possible?

I would like to make my basement into a get away for myself, including meditation and yoga, can u please give me ideas of the things i need? or the color of my wall should be, meaning is there relaxing colors that might just help me ?

thank u
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2004-05-11 10:49 AM (#6219 - in reply to #6216)
Subject: RE: is this possible?

There are so many variables! How lucky you are to have the space to create a little studio.

My suggestion would be not to worry about what "should" be there, but rather what makes you happy.

Do you have windows? Use a window covering that can either softly diffuse the light (sheers, matchstick blinds) or something that can let in the morning sun, if you enjoy that.

Do you have carpeting? Would you like to have a firm surface to practice on, or do you like the softness of the carpeting? Do you use a mat?

When you meditate, do you like to sit on something (cushin or bench) or do you prefer the floor? What would make you the most comfortable?

Are you comfortable with spiritual elements? Can you choose a nice figure of your spiritual guide, perhaps adding something that creates a nice focus point: flowers or candles? A bright OM picture, or a shining star?

Do you enjoy music or videos when you practice? Where would you put your entertainment equipment?

See, it's really what you want.
You might consider checking out some of the books on Fung Shei (is that right?) in the library. There is an Indian system, too, that escapes me right now, but essentially it's also arranging the environment for the greatest peace and harmony.

Best of all, you get to change it if it doesn't feel "right."
Enjoy yourself!
Christine
Posted 2004-05-11 11:12 AM (#6226 - in reply to #6216)

Thank you so much Extreme Veteran.......you have been a great help......

have a wonderful life

nina

Posted 2004-05-11 2:13 PM (#6231 - in reply to #6216)

And don't forget the big screen TV with DVD and mini fridge then don't forget to invite us over
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-11 3:13 PM (#6234 - in reply to #6216)

Oh how fun! As an interior design student I'm chomping at the bit on this one. But I will refrain, lest I turn your fun project into a high budget, time-consuming affair. There are TONS of books about color theory, some more straight-forward than others. You should be able to find something at a local library and read through and see if certain attributes and adjectives for a particular color stick out for you. Of course, generally greens and blues are thought to be calming - related to the earth and sky, very natural. Some find that warmer colors, reds, oranges, and yellows are too stimulating and not relaxing. This is completely a personal preference, however, as I find that blues and greens are too calming and I feel embraced by bright reds and oranges. I think Christine covered most of the basics to think about such as flooring, decoration, etc. Keep in mind, too, that what you start with as a "finished product" will prbably evolve as your practice evolves, and one of the cheapest ways to fix it up is of course a paint job. Flooring will definiely be one of the biggest investments for you - make sure you love it, can practice comfortably on this (and as your practice grows to include things like handstands, headstands, etc). Most importantly, go ahead and let it scream you!

And then have Bruce over to fix up some margaritas for everyone!
afroyogi
Posted 2004-05-11 3:22 PM (#6235 - in reply to #6216)

... and of course it's always a good idea to leave enough space for motorcycle maintenence
Hey, don't laugh, wrenching can be a quite meditative occupation ... until you hit your knuckles on something
But then you have your room for yoga and meditation that'll help you to calm down again

But seriously, here's what I'd do:
If there's enough space I would keep one half of the room nice and empty, maybe with a wooden floor - for the physical practice.
The other half I would stuff with thick carpets, lotsa pillows, cushions, posters, candles, all that stuff, until it's really cramped for more "cuddleability".

Enjoy
nina
Posted 2004-05-11 4:50 PM (#6240 - in reply to #6216)

YOGA DANCER!......YOU ALWAYS SEEM TO HAVE GOOD IDEAS AS I READ AROUND.......YOUR GREAT......THANK U

Posted 2004-05-11 5:03 PM (#6243 - in reply to #6240)

See that Christine--another follower

Posted 2004-05-11 5:05 PM (#6245 - in reply to #6234)

I'll gladly make the margaritas Lora in trade for your expertise in redcorating my den--I need help!

LoraB - 2004-05-11 2:13 PM

And then have Bruce over to fix up some margaritas for everyone!
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-11 5:48 PM (#6249 - in reply to #6216)

You bet!

And, BTW, how do I get in on this cult of Christine's? Is there a secret handshake I should know about?

LoraB
Posted 2004-05-11 5:49 PM (#6250 - in reply to #6216)

Oh yeah, did you want me to redo the den AFTER the margaritas or before?

Posted 2004-05-11 7:35 PM (#6252 - in reply to #6249)

No secret handshake kiddo but there is a chant: "Bikram is badBikram is badBikram is badBikram is badBikram is bad..." And, you have to heed her sound advice.

LoraB - 2004-05-11 4:48 PM

You bet!

And, BTW, how do I get in on this cult of Christine's? Is there a secret handshake I should know about?

Posted 2004-05-11 7:36 PM (#6253 - in reply to #6250)

I'm thinking after--it'd be a lot more fun and a conversation piece I'm sure.

LoraB - 2004-05-11 4:49 PM

Oh yeah, did you want me to redo the den AFTER the margaritas or before?
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-11 11:18 PM (#6260 - in reply to #6216)

Ooh, thought of something else. A studio I visited a couple weeks ago made a point to enhance the ceiling as well - very simply, just doing two dropped ceilings around the light fixture so when doing inverted postures it looked like a small pit-type area with stairs. Interesting, and deinitely nice to focus on when upside down - but not in a distracting way. This may be more involoved than you want to get into, but keep in mind.
nina
Posted 2004-05-12 2:55 PM (#6290 - in reply to #6216)

that does sound great lora........i also thought of a glass mirror in the ceiling so i can look at myself when turning into a pretzel.....haha
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-12 5:37 PM (#6300 - in reply to #6216)

Yikes - after a nice long practice I don't know if I could open my eyes from svasana and see myself in the ceiling without being jolted back to reality too quickly!
I like to eaaaaaase back into the real world....

Posted 2004-05-12 5:56 PM (#6304 - in reply to #6300)

Possibly some ceiling mirrors they use in department stor changing rooms that'd make us look long and lean are called for.
nina
Posted 2004-05-13 11:58 AM (#6338 - in reply to #6216)

I already made my vacation plans for this summer........If any of you guys know of a yoga/meditation retreat for next summer, i might just consider it......keep me posted.......

thanks.......have a wonderful day.........
LoraB
Posted 2004-05-13 12:38 PM (#6344 - in reply to #6216)

Oh no! Department store mirrors NEVER make you look good. Unless you're trying on bathing suits in February while it's still snowing outside and you haven't seen the sun for ages. Then the mirrors and lighting turn you into a supermodel. Every time.

Posted 2004-05-13 1:41 PM (#6353 - in reply to #6344)

Here in Texas we go to Hippie Hollow and swim nekid--no need to try swinsuits on.
nina
Posted 2004-05-13 2:32 PM (#6355 - in reply to #6216)

NO! dept store mirror for me lol..........bruce .......nekid......ur bad lol

Posted 2004-05-13 2:42 PM (#6356 - in reply to #6355)

I dunno kiddo, being naked is similar to yoga a bit I think--gives you a feeling of freedom, peace unto yourself and a shared spirit among participants--must be a sociological thing there that can be explored.
nina
Posted 2004-05-13 3:26 PM (#6359 - in reply to #6216)

Do what u have to do to make urself happy.......thats important

Posted 2004-05-15 5:22 PM (#6429 - in reply to #6359)

A lesson I didn't learn until late in life...think I'd have to caveat it with, "as long as it hurts nobody."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)