YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Dancer!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-19 5:32 PM (#24424)
Subject: Yoga Dancer!

Hey, Christine - any chance you'd give us a run down on all the workshops you've been doing?Melissa
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-05-23 3:53 PM (#24569 - in reply to #24424)
Subject: RE: Yoga Dancer!

Well, actually it's been a slow year for me.

I did a week with Rod Stryker at the end of April. This was really far more interesting that I'd anticipated. The topic was Prana, so I was thrilled to find it wasn't just another 40-hour asana week. We focused on meditation, yet not necessarily meditating, but rather methods to do so. We discussed and practiced different mantras, which naturally are also a focus of meditation. We worked with the breath in everything we did, to focus our intention and thoughts on shifts in the energy body. I'd take this one again.

I did a weekend with Beryl Bender Birch, whom I love. Like most Ashtanga workshops, though, you do the practice then talk about something else. This wasn't a teacher training, so we discussed how although Ashtanga is supposed to be a static practice in its sequencing, it evolves and changes with the practitioner. Also, she got 5 or 6 different translations of the sutras. Folks would read theirs, we'd discuss the differences and what the possible, actual meanings might be. A very interesting approach. Where you'd expect Iyengar to be somewhat pragmatic and to the point, his are always suprisingly spirited and beautiful, whereas Satchitananda is somewhat dry.

I just this week finished a 40-hour Teacher's Immersion with John Friend in Denver. I'm still processing this one and don't have a heck of a lot to say about it. We discussed Tantra according to John and therefore Anusara, which was fine.
As he put it, the practices we did ourselves were nothing new, but revisiting the basic principles. Ironically, many of the people with whom I partnered didn't understand or were new to the Anusara Principles. He said it was difficult to get into this training, with over 700(?) applications, with only 270 accepted. I'm having a hard time understanding how some managed to be there without this basic Anusara training. However, it's not necessarily up to me to know.
The people were nice and I got to know a lot of my own kula's members away from home. Normally he comes here to MD, but this year we had to travel. I think that was the most valuable element I'm coming back with. Like I said, though, I'll have to think about this week.

I'm home for awhile and I'm kinda glad.
Thanks for asking!
Christine
Gruvemom
Posted 2005-05-23 8:51 PM (#24583 - in reply to #24569)

Christine, thanks so much for your reviews! Sounds like you are happy - I'm happy for you!Rod Stryker sounds great! I don't meditate, but I'm not adverse to it... just don't know how to do it or where to start! sounds like a workshop I would have loved!I'm glad you had fun W BBB... I think she might be at the Omega conference in Nov (can't remember) maybe I'll catch a workshop w/ her... I know she's really well thought of locally.270 people at the immersion or at the workshop as a whole? That's a lot of people. Is JF accepting more people at his workshops this year b/c he's doing fewer workshops? I'm not surprised about the lack of experience you found... one thing I'm hearing A LOT of around here is people lying about their experience/ physical abilities on their workshop applications. I'm not kidding and I'm really disappointed in some of my acquiantances for doing so.I look forward to your future comments - btw, our friend Bruce is going to do a JF workshop in July! woo hoo!
YogaDancer
Posted 2005-06-04 7:10 AM (#25039 - in reply to #24583)

You know, Gruvemom, I had to think about that post quite a bit.

What I've decided must be happening, is that although there are standards JF wants for Anusara teachers, since we're all at different levels, perhaps there were people at this immersion who were just coming into Anusara, but had other experience. That I did find, which I happen to think is always interesting. However, for me, it did make some assisting and adjusting a little iffy as to whether or not I'd let them do it on me. Normally, I do, because I'm pretty impervious and I figure someone can use the experience. In inversions, though, I'll adjust, but pass on being the assisted one.

As for people lying on their applications? That's sad. That's like all these people who take an Ashtanga week or training here in the US then go out and tell people they're certified. Not.

As far as their Anusara experience, it's my understanding since JF reviews applications, it's tracked. What they do with their own time or history is another story. Ironically, it's often easy to see in someone's practice whether they're telling the truth. or not.

I don't know. It was an interesting time. I wasn't in a good place in that my 20 year old kitty died Tuesday before I left. I'd had her since she was 6 weeks old. For 20 years she slept on my pillow with her head on my cheek. One of my cats was mauled and needed 4 surgeries. We were afraid she'd lose her beautiful tail. Another of my dogs turned up with a 3'' gash in her leg and also required surgery. The latter two are doing fine, thank God. Then two of my friends were injured during the week and I'm kind of the "General" as far as getting something taken care of. So I was somewhat distracted? disassociated?

I'm looking forward to something JF says he's putting together, which is a TT or DVD on assisting and adjusting. Plus, he's making a CD of the discussions. I'd like to review those, because I had a hard time focusing and it's what is really interesting me.

Gruvemom
Posted 2005-06-04 3:36 PM (#25064 - in reply to #25039)

Hi Christine.  First, I want to say how very sorry I am about your cat and your other animals.  I know you were very concerned about them - and I'm an animal person, too... it's not always easy.

I agree that one's Anusara experience will be reflected in their practice... which makes me question why on earth anyone would lie on their application...

I hope he'll do a CD for the discussions portions of all his workshops.  That's something I would definitely love to have on hand for all the workshops I do ... I frequently find myself thinking "now what did they say???"

Keep well.  I hope your friends are recovering

YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-21 8:10 AM (#25982 - in reply to #24424)

Speaking of workshops:

I just attended a Yoga for Scoliosis workshop with Elise Miller. She is great. I bought her DVD but wasn't blown away by it. However, seeing her in person was great. Now I have to go back and watch the DVD again and see if it's more accessible after doing the work with her in person. She is a great teacher and really offered lots of great advice and tips for working with Scoliosis. Even though I don't have scoliosis it was great to start to learn about how to work with people that do have it. Wish I could have taken her teacher training, but I had another workshop to go to.

I also did an Inversion Massage workshop. It's also known as Acro-Sage. You lift the client on your feet and turn them upside down so you can massage their head and shoulders while they are hanging upside down. You can also twist them and stretch them. It feels amazing. Your spine feels like it grows an inch and you feel like you're floating during the massage. I've been massaging everyone I meet lately and they love it too.

tourist
Posted 2005-06-21 10:39 AM (#25993 - in reply to #25982)

Expert Yogi

Yoga Guy - I had to chuckle when I read your post with 5 "great"s in the first paragraph. Nothing like coming home from a workshop and using a word like "great' over and over When it has all sunk in a bit more, maybe you could give us some tips on what made it so great? Any particular working of a pose you liked? Soem new wording or instruction that we could include in our own teaching? I realize it does take some time for these things to percolate through the brain!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-21 12:05 PM (#25994 - in reply to #24424)

HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks for the great critique.

I have to step away from the computer and stop posting for a while until I am better able to formulate sentences.

Okay, Elise Miller's class focused on Scoliosis which apparently afflicts 1 in 10 women. And even more have "functional" scoliosis--not and physical curving of the bones/spine but a muscular imbalance that causes people not to stand straight.

The first part of the class is discussing what scoliosis is and the different types of scoliosis. Scoliosis in the thoracic spine will effect the ribs and therefore the breathing. It can also cause the shoulders and shoulder blades to be uneven. Scoliosis in the lumbar region can cause one hip to be higher and more forward which will cause one leg to appear shorter and will effect the way the person stands.

Then the second part of class was asana practice. She showed how to do poses differently on each side to get the most benefit out of them. If you have a right thoracic curve, your left ribs are weak and compressed, so bends to the right that require you to stretch the left rib cage are great. However, bending similarly to the left would exacerbate the problem so side bends to the left should be done from the hips and the left side should stay lengthy. Furthermore, right thoracic curves often have a left lumbar compensation and the bend from the hips helps to alleviate that as well.

She showed triangle, standing side bends and twists with variations to compensate for the thoracic and lumbar curves. It was quite fascinating. She also showed some great variations of down dog and some great adjustments you can do yourself or with a partner.

As a teacher I have been noticing more and more how many women have scoliosis. So I thought it was good to be informed on the subject and to take some time to learn how to help some of those students when I see them.

tourist
Posted 2005-06-21 6:37 PM (#26013 - in reply to #25994)

Expert Yogi

Sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like a critique - just a fellow student who has come back from workshops with the same feeling

I had never considered the idea of functional scoliosis before. An interesting idea! I am seeing more and more people with scoliosis - not just women. Many are surprised that I notice it and some had no idea they had it (one young man, for example) and it had never given them a minute of trouble. OTOH, one woman whose curve is very slight to my eye, has had a lifetime of pain.

For teachers out there - put everyone in down dog and look at their spines. If you have wall ropes, it gives you time to keep them there and compare. At first all I saw was a tight hip or shoulder, but now I can see the curve quite quickly.

Yoga Guy - did she suggest repeating a pose more on one side to level out the spine or just do each side differently?
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-06-21 7:03 PM (#26017 - in reply to #26013)

tourist - 2005-06-21 6:37 PM

For teachers out there - put everyone in down dog and look at their spines. If you have wall ropes, it gives you time to keep them there and compare. At first all I saw was a tight hip or shoulder, but now I can see the curve quite quickly.

Yoga Guy - did she suggest repeating a pose more on one side to level out the spine or just do each side differently?

Actually the way she looks for it and the way doctors look for it (according to her) is in uttanasana...standing forward bend. It's very easy to see from that position. There were a lot of curious people there that wanted her to check their spines so she bent everyone over and had a look. We all got to watch and it is very apparent when you bend over whether you spine is crooked or you have a rotation that causes one set of ribs to be compressed or one shoulder to hunch forward.

She did mention for some strengthening poses to do the weaker side an extra time. For example salabasana with the arms stretched forward: you lift the right arm and left leg for 5 or more breaths while pressing down with the left palm and right foot, then switch sides. Start and end with the weak side to get an extra rep. Since most people have a right thoracic curve and a left lumbar compensation usually the left arm right leg are weaker...but everyone is different.

As for the stretching poses she didn't suggest favoring one side or the other just doing them differently.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)