YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Newbie w/a question...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

LuAnn
Posted 2005-09-11 9:49 PM (#31572)
Subject: Newbie w/a question...

Hi. I am LuAnn, and I live in Kentucky w/my family. I had subscribed to a daily yoga tidbit ezine and in today's issue, there was a link to an article about 'imbalances': pitta, kapha and...I can't remember the other one at the moment.

My question is...is it possible to be out of whack in ALL 3 at once?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-13 12:19 PM (#31714 - in reply to #31572)
Subject: RE: Newbie w/a question...

Hi, LuAnn! Well the tridoshas are present in all of us but in differing levels. Have you figured out what your primary dosha is? Let me give you a helpful link.
http://www.ayur.com/about.html

For the rest of you who read this post, we're talking Ayurveda! This is great stuff for yogis!

Anyway, welcome to the board, LuAnn!!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-13 12:34 PM (#31716 - in reply to #31572)

Expert Yogi

LuAnn - 2005-09-11 9:49 PM

Hi. I am LuAnn, and I live in Kentucky w/my family. I had subscribed to a daily yoga tidbit ezine and in today's issue, there was a link to an article about 'imbalances': pitta, kapha and...I can't remember the other one at the moment.

My question is...is it possible to be out of whack in ALL 3 at once?

It's Pitta, Vata, Kapha. My stronger dosha is Pitta, then Vata then Kapha. Some people are Kapha, Vata, Pitta. This is something that you should have an Ayurvedic MD do for you. There are some things out there that you can use to calculate it for yourself, but if your not familiar with this, its better to have it done for you.

If your interested in learning about Ayurveda, I would go to Amazon and look up anything by Robert Svoboda or Vasant Lad. Robert Svoboda has a really nice book for women and a nice general book on Ayurveda. or go to http://www.drsvoboda.com to see his references. Good luck.

Cyndi

P. S. Your question regarding being out of whack?? It's not really about being out of whack as much as it is about honoring your body's constitution and working from that. Another words, my strongest dosha is Pitta. It's not good or bad, I just have to watch certain things I eat, certain temperature's for my environment, no spicy food, etc. However, sometimes if I am balanced, I will eat spicy food but not very much. I do Bikram/Hot Yoga too, some people with this dosha cannot. It does not mean never, you just have to learn how your body functions and how the dosha's play a role in that. Then you learn how to eat properly, learn how your body reacts to certain environments and operate from that KNOWING. If you can do that, then your chances of balancing your body is greater, therefore living a healthier lifestyle, etc. Some times your dosha's never change, it is your make up and who you are from before birth. Some times you can alter the dosha's but I understand that is a rarity in today's world, but not impossible. It's really good to learn and understand completely what each dosha is and why its there or what its for. The same rule applies to the other doshas, whether it be vata or kapha because they all have a different function and represent important elements of the human body as a system.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-09-13 12:43 PM
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-13 6:57 PM (#31742 - in reply to #31572)

I'm out of whack and it has NOTHING to do with my doshas or constitution, Cyndi!! Hahaha!
That said, LuAnn, just check out that link. It will lead you to an online "worksheet" to help you find your primary dosha. It also will give you a list of things to avoid and things to not avoid to help you achieve balance : )
Cyndi, your Tridosha line up is looking exactly like mine! Wow, we're similar! Yeah, go ahead and add that extra wing onto your mountain hide-away. I'm movin' in, sister!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-13 7:12 PM (#31745 - in reply to #31742)

Expert Yogi

Miabella704 - 2005-09-13 6:57 PM

I'm out of whack and it has NOTHING to do with my doshas or constitution, Cyndi!! Hahaha!
That said, LuAnn, just check out that link. It will lead you to an online "worksheet" to help you find your primary dosha. It also will give you a list of things to avoid and things to not avoid to help you achieve balance : )
Cyndi, your Tridosha line up is looking exactly like mine! Wow, we're similar! Yeah, go ahead and add that extra wing onto your mountain hide-away. I'm movin' in, sister!

It is nice to have it done by someone who knows more than you do. Actually, the diagnosis I got from the Ayurvedic Doc was totally different from my analysis doing a worksheet and a program that you can enter on your computer.

Most Americans have this dosha sequence, that is not uncommon. In my discovery with my husband, he is like all the other Indians, which start out as Kapha - mostly. Talk about keeping things in balance and is probably why Satyam has such a healing effect on me, I feel like being in his presence lowers my Pitta dosha...seriously. If I'm around people I know have a stronger Pitta dosha than mine, it drives me absolutely insane and I get a slight headache because I'm sensitive to them.

Oh well, interesting. So, come on up to the mountains Kristen, you and Kristina will be bored together. I promise we will make a trip to Asheville and Atlanta from time to time and you can hang out in the city, Oh and one more thing, my house is tiny cause I gave up the big mansion life to be in this country life. You can do like the Tibetans do and bring a tent. Yoda won't mind, he'll either guard you, bite you (playfully of course) or lick you..or worse, break in your tent to sleep on your lap
Miabella704
Posted 2005-09-13 9:40 PM (#31762 - in reply to #31572)

I never thought about that. It's hard to find Ayurveda docs in this area. I just thought answering a question/answer page would tell you what you need to know. Thanks for clarifying that.

I have a calming effect on animals. Dogs love me. He's a Rottweiler? They are beautiful dogs. I love camping. The closer you live to the Earth the more grounded you become. I have no problem with a tent.

What you are saying about Kaphas is true. I dated a Hawaiian/Filipine guy and he just had a very cooling, centering effect on me. They are my favorite kind of men.

I live near the ocean...four miles from it, and I miss mountains. Florida is hot and flat. The terrain is rough and the grass doesn't feel like real grass. It's like small mangroves, intertwined and thick. I used to live in Maryland/Virginia and I loved having all four seasons, the sea and the mountains all in the same state. I miss the Summer cabin at Deep Creek Lake in NW Maryland we used to go to. It was built of logs and on the side of wooded hills and mountains. There's nothing like the smell of the air in the forest at night. You're very fortunate to live where you do.

Edited by Miabella704 2005-09-13 9:43 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-09-13 10:29 PM (#31767 - in reply to #31762)

Expert Yogi

Yes, it is hard to find an Ayurvedic MD...I lucked up a couple of times. I'm sure your worksheet will help you out. Try to study as much as possible. Robert Svoboda's book, Ayurveda - Life, Health and Longevity was the very first book I ever read and was recommend to me by an Indian woman. It answered all my questions and more, it gave the history, and just everything to get me started. Then I later got the book for Women. It is kinda redundant but is specially aimed at women's issues relating to Ayurveda and why.

Also, Paul Pitchford's book is good and mentions Ayurveda in a small section. Since I mainly practice Traditional Chinese Medicine, having the knowledge of both has been very beneficial and sometimes similar. My main focus is on Sattvic prepared food - which both cultures are very strong about. That is an important factor. I'll give you an example. When you eat food prepared by someone who is not mindful or not thinking right (angry or upset) the food tastes so much differently than from someone who is mindful, happy and content. That is why they say Bake your Bread when your happy!! Learning to use ingredients properly is another art that is lost in the restaurant world...even in some Vegan restaurants. Like, eating raw vegetables is not always good for you, lightly cooked is better for some if not most people. You have to learn your own body's constitution and then you can manage your world and your body so much better. Food is medicine. Many health problems could be eliminated with just this one bit of Knowing. In Satyam's country of Nepal, there are still older women who are Brahmans that will not eat other people's prepared food. They cook for themselves and eat only their prepared food. Some old timer Tibetans have the same philosophy.

Yes, Yoda is a Rottweiler. He's a big baby rotty. He's already at 80 lbs and is only 8-1/2 months old. Yoda loves everybody. I wouldn't have it any other way.

DownwardDog
Posted 2005-09-14 5:38 AM (#31799 - in reply to #31572)

How do you find out which type you are?

How does anyone find out?

sorry for my ignorance!
sdaraio
Posted 2005-09-14 8:05 AM (#31808 - in reply to #31572)

To determine your Dosha, try this on-line self test: http://www.lakshmicentrum.nl/text/en/ayur_tri-dosha-test.htm

Stacey

Posted 2005-09-14 8:26 AM (#31811 - in reply to #31808)

Thanks Stacey for the website. I confirmed that I am mainly pitta, vata then dosha. It is amazing that us pittas, especially me at the moment, can suffer from heartburn! Duh!

That is the life of a firecracker!
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-09-14 9:27 AM (#31816 - in reply to #31572)

Thank you for the website URL, it would appear that i am quite clearly pitta.

You learn something new every day!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)