YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New here, just saying hi
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

Nikki809
Posted 2005-03-15 8:56 AM (#19132)
Subject: New here, just saying hi

Hi, I'm new to this board and fairly new to yoga. Have been practicing about 2.5 months and just falling more and more in love with it.

I started with a free class at my gym--it's a Vinyasa Flow class and the teacher is exceptional--not what you would expect from a health club. I've added to this with a very good basic DVD by Seane Corn called Vinyasa Flow Yoga. Anyone heard of it? The cueing is very very thorough, but I don't think I could get as much out of it if I wasn't also taking a live class.

I have some permanent injuries that make practicing a challenge, but I seem to be doing ok by modifying where necessary. I have torn ACLs in both knees--one was reconstructed, but I have permanent damage to that knee anyway from osteoarthritis. The other I will not be getting reconstructed, so there are hyperextension concerns. Also some lower back stuff that seems to be getting better as I get stronger through practicing yoga. And I have always had neck problems, so I am terrified of ever getting to the point of being able to practice handstands.

Oh one other thing--I am a formerly overweight person and lost 93 lbs over the past 2 and 1/2 yrs and only began exercising last July (started yoga in January).

At some point I would like to try a class at an actual Yoga center. If anyone knows of a decent center in Bergen County, NJ, I would greatly appreciate finding out about it. I am also open to practicing other forms of yoga--I happen to like Vinyasa because it is such a huge workout and I'm always looking to burn calories.

This board looks great and thanks so much for having me.

-Nikki
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samantha77
Posted 2005-03-15 8:59 AM (#19133 - in reply to #19132)
Subject: RE: New here, just saying hi

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on finding yoga! There is a yoga directory on yoga.com, and there is also yogafinder.com. I'm from New Jersey too. How far from Cranford do you live? There's a good studio there.
Samantha
Nikki809
Posted 2005-03-15 9:14 AM (#19137 - in reply to #19132)

Hi Samantha, and thank you for the nice welcome. I'm not close to Cranford unfortunately--I'm near Paramus. I do drive to central NJ when I visit my boyfriend, but I was hoping to find some place close to home. A new yoga place opened not far from me, but the focus there seems to be more on meditation and breathing than on the physical aspects of yoga and they don't have classes you can drop in on anyway. So I'm still looking for recommendations (I've seen the listings, but am curious to know if any of the places listed are any good.)

Does anyone here practice with a private instructor? I'm thinking that's another possibility.
zane
Posted 2005-03-15 9:54 AM (#19142 - in reply to #19137)

I'm new to yoga also.. 2 months doing Iyengar... I'd be interested to hear what a Vinyasa class is like, or how you experienced it as a beginner... my favorite teacher teaches alot of Vinyasa, but I feel a little intimidated to go to a class cold, does it take alot of coordination?
Nikki809
Posted 2005-03-15 11:24 AM (#19148 - in reply to #19132)

Hi Zane. I don't think it takes a lot of coordination at all. If it did, I'd never be able to do it, as I am not very coordinated. From my understanding, Vinyasa just means we flow a little more quickly from one pose to another, but believe me, we still hold the poses for quite awhile. I'd say perhaps Vinyasa is a bit more aerobic--you actually can sweat during it.

In addition to attending the class, I'm using a DVD at home that goes much more slowly than an actual Vinyasa class would go, but is still a flow-type of yoga. It's called Vinyasa Flow I by Seane Corn and the instruction is very precise and almost feels hands on. I've used another yoga DVD that had awful cueing and I ended up hurting myself with it, so this one is refreshing.

If you have the opportunity to try Vinyasa yoga, I say "go for it!" You might end up really liking it.
zane
Posted 2005-03-15 9:41 PM (#19175 - in reply to #19148)

well with that positive a recommendation, perhaps I'll stop by my teachers' Vinyasa class tomorrow
julie
Posted 2005-09-03 5:54 PM (#30932 - in reply to #19133)

Hi, I would like to start taking yoga classes. I live in Cranford. What studio do you reccomend?
Julie
tourist
Posted 2005-09-03 6:33 PM (#30937 - in reply to #30932)

Expert Yogi

Maybe a state would help - this is an international board with many members from the US, but I think just a city name won't quite do it
afroyogi
Posted 2005-09-05 5:55 PM (#31066 - in reply to #30937)

tourist - 2005-09-04 12:33 AM

Maybe a state would help - this is an international board with many members from the US, but I think just a city name won't quite do it

Glenda, I think they're still talking about Cranford, NJ. Also, how could we eurotrash tell them about a good yoga studio in their neighborhood? It's no harm not to know what state they're talking about.
JoGaJoE
Posted 2005-09-07 6:18 PM (#31199 - in reply to #19132)

yoga is great for life even if its in a gym....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)