YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Music for Pilates?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-29 12:43 PM (#20435)
Subject: Music for Pilates?

I was just asked to take over an evening Pilates class at the local YMCA, 1 night per week. This is completely unexpected because I don't have any Pilates certifications and have never actually taken a live Pilates class! I guess the YMCA trusts me because of all my yoga experience and the fact that I study Pilates on my own. I'm starting the certification process in May, so I'm excited yet a little nervous about teaching so soon!

Anyway, the folks at the YMCA are BIG fans of music playing in class. They even have those little Madonna-style microphones for the teachers to wear, which I don't care to do because my voice is plenty loud enough! So what kind of music is typical for Pilates? Anything in particular?

I use really mellow music in yoga class, tending toward simple piano or acoustic guitar with no vocals. But personally, I just hate mellow music! I'm hoping to be able to use something a little more upbeat (dare I say, techno?) for Pilates!

Your thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
throwtoy
Posted 2005-03-29 4:10 PM (#20449 - in reply to #20435)
Subject: RE: Music for Pilates?

Personally i think music takes the attention away from the instructor and their bodies. the ladies in my gym are used to music in their other classes howver i never use music in mine and after they've been through class they dont mind at all. there's enough around them to take away their focus i have to use a mic since i normally have about 20-30 women and although my voice has been loud enough when the mic broke, it can be harmful to your throat to have to yell it deoending on how loud the space is. I was also taught during my certification that music should NOT be used as well. people in pilates need to concentrate on form and not the music that is playing in the background. depending on how experienced the people are has to count as well. during roll ups or rolling like a ball etc, that could be quite difficult especially if you you're thinking about something more upbeat and could result in injury.

but that's just my 2 cents. enjoy teaching your class! if you want to check on another Pilates site where you can get some good info as well take a gander at www.pilatesconnections.com
JackieCat
Posted 2005-03-29 6:15 PM (#20456 - in reply to #20435)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jean-

Where are you doing your pilates certification? I did the PowerHouse mat cert but am considering further training.

I play the same kind of music in pilates that I play in yoga. I like groovy "chillout" type music for yoga and pilates rather than super mellow music. I've used CDS from the OM Lounge series, the Chillout series, Pure Moods. YogaFit has some really good music- I have most of them and use them all.

I play music in pilates purely as background- I don't ever try to do the exercises "to" the music.
YogaChick
Posted 2005-03-29 11:38 PM (#20507 - in reply to #20435)

First of all, congratulations on taking your first plunge into teaching Pilates! It's a bit nerve-racking to step out of your "yoga comfort zone" and teach those first few Pilates classes! (I remember that feeling well!)

Personally, I like to use music in a gym setting because it creates a mental veil between the classroom and the commotion going on in the rest of the gym.

I prefer to use music that is mellow and doesn't have a strong beat. Otherwise, people unconsciously fall into trying to follow the beat of the music. I also keep the volume very low.
Class participants have told me that they notice the music at the very beginning, and at the very end during the long stretches.

There's a series of CD's from YogaFit called "Zen Cafe." (I think there are 5 or 6 CD's in the series; I only have 2 or 3 of them). They have worked very well with my Pilates classes.

Don't completely dismiss the microphone. Sometimes there can be a lot of background noise to yell over at the gym, depending on where the Pilates classroom is situated.

One of the gyms I currently teach at is very loud in the evenings. I never wore a microphone there, because my voice is loud. Over time, I ended up with a tear in my left vocal cord. I still have some problems and pain from time to time (mostly if I've done too much talking and my vocal cords are fatigued). It got so bad that my doctor told me I couldn't talk AT ALL for 3 to 4 weeks. I had to take a month off from teaching, and permenantly drop some of my classes when I did return to teaching. It's better to use a microphone than it is to yell for an hour. I wish I hadn't been so stubborn about it!

There are still a couple of places where I don't use a microphone, but the rooms are very quiet and very small.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-30 10:51 AM (#20544 - in reply to #20435)

Thanks for all the great tips! I will check out those selections on the web - I didn't know YogaFit had a CD series! I wonder if any of their picks are on Napster?

My brother is a composer/producer and just released a really cool techno CD, but I haven't heard all the tracks yet - he said he's gotten more into "trance" than "dance" so maybe I can burn the mellower tracks into my own special JeansPilates Mix!

I took the class last night from the current teacher, also the Director of Fitness Programs (a.k.a. "my boss") at the Y. The music she used was soooo awful, lush instrumental versions of old pop songs like Let It Be and Hotel California! I don't think I'll borrow that from her when I take over!

I'm starting my Basic Mat certification through Power Pilates in May, I liked them because their style is very traditional and sticks to the classical format. I was especially nervous because I don't know it well enough to remember everything yet! But the class last night made me feel a lot better - she taught a very untraditional version so I don't think anyone will notice right away if I forget to put some of the exercises in the correct order, or even throw in a yoga pose here and there.

Luckily, the class studios at the YMCA are well-insulated from the gym even though they're only separated by a glass window - you can't hear any of the gym activities in there. I still like using music just to get student's mindset to change over into classtime from what they were doing previously. I'm not too worried about my voice, but I'll be careful! I have some theater experience under my belt, plus I used to work on the radio. That really helps me moderate my voice during classes, especially in yoga where I have to sound soothing and relaxed but still be heard all over the room. I think Pilates will be different, especially Power Pilates - the teachers on their DVD's sound like drill sergeants! Very fun!
throwtoy
Posted 2005-03-30 4:35 PM (#20584 - in reply to #20435)

by the time you are done doing your Power Pilates cert you will definitely know the correct order as you'll constantly go over it. they will also recommend you not to use music ;)
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-03-31 12:49 PM (#20727 - in reply to #20435)

It will be very interesting, I can't wait! I will try it both ways (with and without music) and see what the students think.

Suddenly I am getting a lot of requests for Pilates classes, much more than yoga! I guess I better study FASTER!
davedog
Posted 2005-08-02 3:32 PM (#28752 - in reply to #20435)

just took my first pilates class at my fitness center. cliche/nightmare: instructor dressed like a stripper (where do i put the dollar?), thumpy music blaring, instructor struttin' around barking unintelligible commands in her madonnaphone. after a few minutes, i ignored her, watched the other students, and focused on not hurting myself. back to my yoga studio for me!
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-02 4:11 PM (#28755 - in reply to #20435)

Wow, that's crazy!! My Pilates classes are very much like my yoga classes (atmosphere-wise, not necessarily in material covered). We use quiet music just to create an "audio curtain" from the rest of the building and to get folks into the right mindset for class. By the time we get a few exercises into it, all students report forgetting that music is even there because they are concentrating so hard!

Plus, I have to save my stripper outfits for more private showings, with my DH at home!
reinbeau
Posted 2005-08-02 6:06 PM (#28765 - in reply to #28752)

davedog - 2005-08-02 3:32 PMjust took my first pilates class at my fitness center. cliche/nightmare: instructor dressed like a stripper (where do i put the dollar?), thumpy music blaring, instructor struttin' around barking unintelligible commands in her madonnaphone. after a few minutes, i ignored her, watched the other students, and focused on not hurting myself. back to my yoga studio for me!
My goodness, where was this horrid sounding class?  I'll bet the instructor isn't certified through any recognizable organization (Peak, Power, Physical Mind, etc).  Yikes!
davedog
Posted 2005-08-04 11:18 AM (#28858 - in reply to #28765)

this was at LA fitness. they have some decent yoga instructors, so i thought i would try pilates- class is covered by monthly dues. no idea regarding certification, or even instructor's name. i reckon i will stick to my tapes, keep going to my yoga studio- wonderful!- and learn from this.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-08-04 12:40 PM (#28862 - in reply to #20435)

Of course you must do what makes you happy, but I wouldn't write Pilates off based on this experience. It is a GREAT exercise system, sounds like this person was not typical of a Pilates instructor or class. Give it another try someday, and you might be pleasantly surprised!
YogaChick
Posted 2005-08-04 5:31 PM (#28886 - in reply to #28858)

So sorry you had a bad experience davedog!! Sounds like it was not your typical Pilates class, and probably not the best class for someone who is new to Pilates.

I hope you try it again some time, and have a better experience!
mishoga
Posted 2005-09-27 6:51 PM (#33116 - in reply to #20435)

Expert Yogi

Oh that sounds like an awful Pilates experience. I teach Pilates and Yogalates. My Yoga, I use all different types of music depending on what the energy of the room is when we walk in (I sware I could feel it).
My Pilates I use uplifting music (such as New Age-Enigma, Buddha Spa, Anugama & Sebastiano, etc...). I definitely do not teach a typical Pilates Class, but then I don't teach traditional Yoga either. I start the class with a full body cardio warm-up, then progress to a small, very simple dance routine, (the women love it) and then 45 minutes is spent on pure Pilates movement. I teach Pilates and yogaltes in two Ladies Gyms and one Dojo. The Dojo is great but the Ladies gyms have a lot happening. The class floor is smack in the middle of the circuit (and the voice of "change stations" bellows every 45 seconds)
I love Pilates. It adds another dimension to yoga. Many of my girls take both Yoga and Pilates. They say the Pilates helps then with their Yoga.
Have a great time teaching. Bring your love of wellness into your class and you'll do great!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)