YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I couldn't breath
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

yogagirl
Posted 2005-08-11 11:06 AM (#29602)
Subject: I couldn't breath

I went to practice today and notice i couldn't breath and I got kinda scared and ran to the rest room and threw up ......the thing is i don't no why i eat healthy is it the yoga is it me i'm scared this has been happening now for 2 days i don't no weather to tell my mom or my teacher .....

~~sincerly,~~
*Alyssa*
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Orbilia
Posted 2005-08-11 11:50 AM (#29604 - in reply to #29602)
Subject: RE: I couldn't breath

Can you tell us a little more? What were you doing when this started?

Regards,

Fee

yogagirl
Posted 2005-08-11 2:37 PM (#29615 - in reply to #29602)

first we were doing downward dog after that we did backbends and then we started doing some combo .... i really don't no ....
tourist
Posted 2005-08-11 6:59 PM (#29623 - in reply to #29615)

Expert Yogi

Well, it is important to not eat too soon before practice - when did you eat? Also, twists and backbends can REALLY affect some people and make them very queasy, although I have not heard of anyone actually getting sick before. It is absolutely important to tell your teacher. You may need to slow down and take a breather between poses and that may be enough to settle your system. That feeling of not being able to breathe is very scary You do astanga classes, right?

Posted 2005-08-12 7:12 AM (#29649 - in reply to #29602)

could have been 'gulping' air as well, drawing it into the stomach, which would definately make you throw up.
yogagirl
Posted 2005-08-14 8:51 PM (#29828 - in reply to #29602)

ok so i told my teacher at practice today and we did some of the routins we did when i felt sick ,

and she said that my breathing was totally off , I was doing to much so we did some breathing practices and it seemed to help ,, i so totally love my yoga teacher she is nice and trustworthy to ..

ty

~*Blessed BE*~
**ALYSSA**

Edited by yogagirl 2005-08-14 8:51 PM
Rama
Posted 2005-08-15 3:05 PM (#29870 - in reply to #29602)

yogagirl - 2005-08-12 5:06 AM

I went to practice today and notice i couldn't breath and I got kinda scared and ran to the rest room and threw up ......the thing is i don't no why i eat healthy is it the yoga is it me i'm scared this has been happening now for 2 days i don't no weather to tell my mom or my teacher .....

~~sincerly,~~
*Alyssa*

Maybe just a reaction. Once you start yoga, your breathing gets regulated by the yoga. You can only breath in few positions. So in some position when you feel hard to breath. breath inside before and then breath out when you reach the position where you cant breathe.

One can never stop breathing. It is one of our most deep instincts..

Regards
Rama
Puppet Princess
Posted 2005-11-14 1:24 PM (#36541 - in reply to #29602)

I get light headed and nauseous during some poses as well. My teacher says everyone has some poses that make them feel that way. Normally it's back bends. Whatever's the cause of it, you should remember not to push yourself too far. If you start to feel lightheaded again it's a good idea to stop whatever pose you are doing and go into a rest position like child’s pose. Missing a pose or two is better then throwing up.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-11-14 3:11 PM (#36547 - in reply to #29602)

yogagirl - 2005-08-11 5:06 PM

I went to practice today and notice i couldn't breath and I got kinda scared and ran to the rest room and threw up ......

Congratulations. You're pregnant!
Tsaklis
Posted 2005-11-14 6:39 PM (#36575 - in reply to #29602)

Very probably the breathing thing, but.... I've known a few people who have this same reaction to backbends if they have the beginnings of a cold or sinus infection. If the infection starts in your ears or plugs up your ears you may not even realize it's there but it could be effecting your balance and vertigo may result from a backbend, particularly a standing backbend such as Anuvittasana or Triang Mukhottanasana. Just a thought.
damien
Posted 2005-11-14 6:46 PM (#36578 - in reply to #36541)

Puppet Princess - 2005-11-14 1:24 PM

I get light headed and nauseous during some poses as well. My teacher says everyone has some poses that make them feel that way. Normally it's back bends.

That should not be the case. these feelings are indications that the posture is being performed incorrectly. Back bends for me are now calming, but I do remember when they used to make me anxious and a little nauseous.

Whatever's the cause of it, you should remember not to push yourself too far. If you start to feel lightheaded again it's a good idea to stop whatever pose you are doing and go into a rest position like child’s pose. Missing a pose or two is better then throwing up.
Sound advice. Explore the postures with sensitivity and avoid always going to your limit.
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-15 4:37 AM (#36615 - in reply to #29602)

...and if you can't breathe in the pose, come out. you're not meant to be there.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)