YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A few beginners questions.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

Kathrynne1
Posted 2005-11-12 10:08 PM (#36447)
Subject: A few beginners questions.

(oops, I guess you don't press "enter" before you write a message! anyways..)

I just started yoga last week, and I have a few questions! First, is there a certain type of clothing that's best? I wore a loose fitting shirt and it was up over my head a few times (good thing the lights were low...) and rode up at other times. I wear women's size 14ish, so something that's tight enough to stay in place, but doesn't hug my ah.. "curves" would be perfect. I'd like to concentrate on my movement and balance, and not about what parts of me are falling out of my clothing! Any suggestions?

Second, I'm pretty sore after my first class. Is this normal? It's a hatha yoga class with meditation at the end, and after it was over I felt very relaxed but physically tired. I usually go to the gym and do a cardio workout and weights, but after yoga I went home, took a hot bath and went to bed! Would it be better to do my weight and cardio first, and then do yoga, or just do it on another day entirely?

Third.. are there any other tips you guys have? I've been wanting to take yoga ever since I joined a gym, and finally got up the guts to do it. I don't know if you guys remember what it's like to be new, but it was kind of scary being the only person that had no idea what was going on! As experienced yogi's, what do you find the best and worst things new people do? Any tips are really appreciated!

Thanks,
Katie

Edited by Kathrynne1 2005-11-12 10:17 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-13 12:51 AM (#36454 - in reply to #36447)
Subject: RE: A few beginners questions.

Kathrynne1 - 2005-11-12 10:08 PMI just started yoga last week, and I have a few questions! First, is there a certain type of clothing that's best?

There's a pretty good thread on this somewhere in the General Yoga forum.  You should wear something loose, that you can more around in, and comfortable.

Second, I'm pretty sore after my first class. Is this normal?

Probably, you're doing something very new that your body isn't used to.

I've been wanting to take yoga ever since I joined a gym, and finally got up the guts to do it. I don't know if you guys remember what it's like to be new, but it was kind of scary being the only person that had no idea what was going on!

Yeah, I remember being scared.  I was the only man in the class, and in the first week one of the instructors decided to point me out, and say that most men have trouble with asana X.  (Boy was she wrong!)
ravineave
Posted 2005-11-13 8:31 AM (#36458 - in reply to #36447)

Hey Katie –Going into my first class, I was full of trepidation. I had lived a very sedentary life and as someone so out of shape, it was a very uptight situation to wander into a Yoga class. I was the only male, surrounded by a bunch 20 something females who were flying through all the asanas with unbelievable flexibility and poise. Me, I’m huffing and puffing, don’t have a clue what I’m doing and thinking that this whole thing was pretty idiotic. The class turned out to be a horrible experience but I did wake up the next day feeling pretty sore but also feeling pretty good otherwise. I did continue, slowly and it has now become a big part of my life. I don’t have any tips except to stick with it. Like me, it will open up whole new worlds for you..
tourist
Posted 2005-11-13 11:19 AM (#36459 - in reply to #36447)

Expert Yogi

Katie - wear a shirt that is not huge and over-sized. You are right that you need it to fit closer to the body but not skin tight. You also have to not worry a bit about the size 14 thing and just tuck that shirt in when you are in situations where it might go over your head Honestly and truly, you are the only one who is thinking about how you look and the sooner you just let that go and get into the class, the better you will feel. I rememeber for myself the day I said "who cares about the rolls?" and tucked in. It seems that about one day later I noticed how I had begun to lose weight

It seems like you are attracted to yoga and if you like the gym class fairly well, after awhile you may want to branch out and try a studio class.
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-13 11:27 AM (#36460 - in reply to #36447)

Hi there,

I summed up all of the things I've gathered from lots pf people both here and in the "real" world about what to wear on my blog at the url below.

I think most people are a bit sore to start with, sometimes because of trying too hard to keep up. When you let go and just do what you can it doesn't really hurt, but then sometimes you can hurt just because your body is waking up again if you like!

Anything new is daunting - it all gets comfortable pretty quickly!

Enjoy it!

Edited by DownwardDog 2005-11-13 11:28 AM
Kathrynne1
Posted 2005-11-13 7:44 PM (#36475 - in reply to #36460)

Thanks for all the info! For some reason I never thought about just tucking a t shirt in. I'll have to find one long enough to stay put. Your site is really nice DownwardDog, lots of good information on clothing. I still wonder though, should I do yoga on a seperate day from my cardio and weights, or before or after it?
tourist
Posted 2005-11-14 12:23 AM (#36489 - in reply to #36475)

Expert Yogi

I think a completely separate day would be nice. Just make it different and a nice day for you - then you don't have to think of it as a workout
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-14 6:06 AM (#36498 - in reply to #36447)

first - thanks for the compliment!

Next: When i was training for the Triathlon, iused to use some yoga to stretch before the training and then afterwards as well, you need to do at least 30min stretch before training because these things are really hard on your body.

You could always do that. I wouldn't do a full yoga session unless i felt totally fit that day, especially if its ashtanga.

If you're up for it, why not yoga in the morning and weights in the evening?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)