YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sweaty Hands!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

Kathrynne1
Posted 2005-11-17 1:11 PM (#36795)
Subject: Sweaty Hands!

I'm on my 3rd yoga class today (and really enjoying it so far). I bought my own sticky mat, but I seem to have a problem with slipping around. My palms get sweaty, and it's hard to keep them planted on the mat. Is this a normal thing? My mat is brand new, will it get better once it's broken in? Is there anything that can help this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-17 1:17 PM (#36798 - in reply to #36795)
Subject: RE: Sweaty Hands!

It's very normal, I struggled for years before finding a mat that I really liked (and now that mat is falling apart, so back to the drawing board). The one I liked was natural rubber, it didn't seem to have that slippery coating that so many of the popular mats have. I also liked the mats produced by Bheka (www.bheka.com), I tried a friend's and that's the one I may purchase next.

Others swear by using a cloth mat instead of a sticky one, in fact there is a very interesting practice in this month's Yoga Journal that advocates using a blanket on a slippery floor! I don't know of many people who have tried the yoga paws, or chalk.

Ultimately it will come down to experimentation, and eventually you'll settle upon the right mat for you. In the meantime, keep a towel handy and keep wiping off those sweaty hands!
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-17 3:31 PM (#36805 - in reply to #36795)

You can get rid of the sticky residue by wiping it down with some tea tree oil and water, or something similar.

I think as you get better at yoga you slip a lot less as you are more rooted in poses, for example in downward dog your hands are strength recieving as are your feet.

Edited by DownwardDog 2005-11-17 3:32 PM
afroyogi
Posted 2005-11-17 6:34 PM (#36810 - in reply to #36795)

Kathrynne, some of us tend to be a bit more sweaty than others, but slipping and sliding can be avoided by proper technique. First try to put as much surface of your hands onto the mat as possible, spread your fingers, try every trick. Secondly you could maybe try to use this chaulky powder rock climbers and athletes use. I haven't tried it myself but I guess it should work.
Finally, like DD wrote, give your mat a good rub with water or just give it a go in the washing machine (cold, without detergents). That should help breaking it in (getting rid of production residues).
Before I forget: WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! HAVE FUN!
tourist
Posted 2005-11-17 7:19 PM (#36812 - in reply to #36810)

Expert Yogi

When I first looked at your post, Kathrynne, I thought you meant you were on your third class OF the day! We did have a member here some time ago who would do that, but she was an Extreme Yogi Yes - wash your mat. That will help. Root your hands and feet. That will help, too. YogaDancer (above mentioned yoga freak) would just say "Aw, sweat on it and don't wash it!" That apparently works as well
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-11-17 10:57 PM (#36822 - in reply to #36795)

Expert Yogi

I have that problem. Keep a hand towel around and wipe hands and mat occasionally.
Also consider using a towel or mysore rug on or instead of a sticky mat. A wet sticky mat
is worthless.
afroyogi
Posted 2005-11-18 6:12 PM (#36917 - in reply to #36795)

It also depends on which kind of yoga you're doing, Kathrynne. If you're into Bikram, you'll just have to live with the sweat since it's the name of the game there. The same is to say about every other form of hot yoga and for ashtanga (vinyasa) yogas as well.
If you're into static yoga (anusara, iyengar) an appropriate mat and propper alignment should help.

Kathrynne1
Posted 2005-11-19 10:47 AM (#36952 - in reply to #36795)

Ah, thanks for all the replies! I have the most trouble doing downward dog, but probably because my technique isn't all that hot. I'll try to spread my hands out and work on getting it a bit better. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll ask for one of the natural mats they sell at the store here at yoga.com.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)