YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exercises for lower back .....
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

ronn
Posted 2006-02-08 1:27 AM (#43179)
Subject: Exercises for lower back .....

Hi, I am a small-built male senior citizen having frequent lower back pains. I have attended 10 hours of baisc Joseph Pilates classess, and now practising on my own ( mat exercises only ) for about 4 months ( about 1 hour, 2 ~ 3 times a week ), emphasising on strenghten my abs and core muscles ( Pelvic-Tilt, Hip-Roll, Curl-Up, Pillow-Squeeze, The Hundred, etc.).

I would like to move on and work on my lower back. Can anyone recommend some appropriate and simple Pilates exercises that emphsize on strenghtening the lower back ( with some easy-to-follow sketches or pictures if possible ) ? Thank you !

ronn
Top of the page Bottom of the page
reinbeau
Posted 2006-02-15 9:11 PM (#43810 - in reply to #43179)
Subject: RE: Exercises for lower back .

Ronn, does your back pain continue through your Pilates practice?  Have you been evaluated by a doctor?  If it hurts, you really shouldn't be doing it, especially not without a good diagnosis of your problem.  Building up your core strength through Pilates is a great idea, but I'd hate to think you are causing more harm by practicing without a thorough investigation of the cause of your problem.

Many of the prone exercises build back strength, but they can also cause problems if not done properly.  I hesitate to offer any other advice until you've been to your doctor.
ronn
Posted 2006-02-16 9:24 PM (#43914 - in reply to #43179)
Subject: RE: Exercises for lower back .....

Hi reinbeau, thanks a lot for your comments. Yes, I have been examined by several GPs and they told me that my back problems are mainly due to bad posture and weak muscles. One of the doctors told me that my legs (shin area) "bow" outward probably due to bad jogging habits. I have since switched from jogging to brisk walking and cut down all impact exercises.

Any advice on appropriate exercises that would help to strengthen the back muscles ? Thank you !

ronn
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)