YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Light
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2005-12-13 10:09 PM (#38882 - in reply to #38801)
Subject: RE: Yoga Light

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - I agree about the iPod. I want one that goes from home to car to wherever. I did see a car commercial that showed one plugging in. I also have had various portable music devices that I never used because I don't do things where I would enjoy having earphones in very often. Even when I walk I prefer to hear what is going on around me. If I took a bus everywhere, I would have TWO at least

The red Kitchen Aide is gorgeous. I rarely used my DD's when it was here but I really want to learn to make marshmallows and you have to beat them for 15 minutes or so. I don't know if I can hold cheapohandheldmixer asana for that long Maybe she'll let me borrow heres when she comes home next week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-13 10:31 PM (#38885 - in reply to #38692)

I got one of those iPod car devices, I don't remember the brand but it cost about $99 and works GREAT! The iPod has great sound and so does my car, so it's just heavenly!!

Don't hate me guys, but I HAVE one of those red KitchenAid mixers! The sad thing is, I rarely even use it. I just don't bake that much, especially when it's just me here and I'm working so many hours. It is cool looking, though.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-13 10:45 PM (#38889 - in reply to #38885)

jeansyoga - 2005-12-13 10:31 PM
Don't hate me guys, but I HAVE one of those red KitchenAid mixers! The sad thing is, I rarely even use it. I just don't bake that much, especially when it's just me here and I'm working so many hours. It is cool looking, though.

I had a blue one for quite a while. I was going through a phase of trying to cook for myself, and my mother got it for Christmas (I'm hard to shop for). Anyway, I never used it, so it went back to her, so she has too. They're absolutely wonderful, I think my mother still has the one she used when I was growing up.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-14 7:55 AM (#38895 - in reply to #38885)

Expert Yogi

jeansyoga - 2005-12-13 10:31 PM

I got one of those iPod car devices, I don't remember the brand but it cost about $99 and works GREAT! The iPod has great sound and so does my car, so it's just heavenly!!

Don't tell me that Jean! I would be using my red one,

Let me know if you ever want to sell it at a discounted price. The last I checked it, the going rate was around $250 + at Williams Sonoma.

Yes, my Ipod's Itrip works great in the country....it sucks when I travel to the city.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-14 8:23 AM (#38896 - in reply to #38692)

I think I have a TransPod, I can't remember the brand! It worked well even in Chicago, but I did have to change the station a few times because there are just SO many stations to compete with over there. I like that it charges the iPod up while I drive, so I don't have to worry about having enough juice to watch video when I reach my destination.

What would be kinda cool, I think, would be a sound system for the iPod with an ambient light show that could pick up the beat of the music and pulse/change color automatically in time with the music. Then it would be sweet for parties AND for your yoga practice!
sideshow
Posted 2005-12-15 12:06 PM (#38961 - in reply to #38692)

You guys may not wanna jump on the ipod bandwagon so quickly...the latest techy news has a couple of things of note:

Apple is getting sued by "creative" (makers of the "ZeN" mp3 player ) as they say apple ripped off their pattened menu system technology and are now seeking royalties.

There is also a company in one of the koreas saying that apple ripped off their DRM ( digital rights management ) technology.

Both these companys are looking for huge amounts for royalties.

Second, there is a consortium right now tring to make the ports in all mp3 player things universal...and it seems to be picking up steam especially since microsoft is backing it up...so that means that any new ipod may have an obsolete port before to long. But hey that means you can feed the apple gluttons again....yay..

okay food for thought anyways....just trying to look out for you all.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-15 12:26 PM (#38966 - in reply to #38692)

I don't think the iPod is going to become obsolete, and even if it does, so what? It should still work for you. It's cool that they're moving towards a common hardware interface, though I'm not entirely sure if it matters. As long as you can connect via USB, who cares what's at the other end of the cable?
sideshow
Posted 2005-12-15 12:39 PM (#38968 - in reply to #38692)

Yeah...I guess what i meant was actually its the "output" port wanting to be made universal. So you can plug any mp3 player into a carkit and it works...i guess i should have been a bit more specific...i as well doubt the ipod itself will be obsolete.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-15 1:10 PM (#38972 - in reply to #38692)

Most of the peripheral accessories for the iPod (car kits, speaker systems, etc) are not even made by Apple. Companies like Bose, JBL, Altec, OIC, and all the rest would be making the same accessories for MP3 players if they thought it would be profitable. Even if Creative Labs and iRiver and Rio and the other MP3 manufacturers would agree on a common output port it would be more profitable for the accessory companies to produce the same products for non-iPod music players. It doesn't make good business sense for Bose to produce a speaker system for Apple AND Creative Labs AND iRiver AND Rio. The iPod sells better, so they can move more units of items built to fit it.

I looked at all kinds of players before buying. I was upgrading from a little 256MB Creative MuVO TX, and was planning to stick with the Creative brand - actually had my heart set on one of the new Zen Touch models. But when I weighed all the options, the iPod offered more storage space, had more capabilities (video, sweet!), and I liked all the peripheral equipment that I could get for it. I also liked the iTunes software and the sorting capabilities much much better than anything Creative had to offer (both on the PC and on the actual device). This is the first Apple product I've ever owned, and frankly now I can see why they're so popular. What can I say, they built a better mousetrap! If Creative offered all the same options, I'd gladly have bought from them instead. But, they didn't. Maybe by the time I'm ready to upgrade this one, they will have. Anything's possible.

That said, I am keeping my little MuVo for working out. It's a lot hardier and could survive a tumble from my waistband to the floor (plus costs a LOT less to replace if I do break it)!

Edited by jeansyoga 2005-12-15 1:13 PM

Posted 2005-12-15 1:42 PM (#38976 - in reply to #38692)

it's difficult reading these posts about iPods and related products. I have no idea what most of it means.

i'm mostly catching verbs and articles here. LOL ;) i'm not a techno-phobe, but i really don't use a lot of these things.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-15 2:01 PM (#38978 - in reply to #38692)

iPod is a popular MP3 player. MP3s are a way to compress music files down using psycho-austic models which determine which sounds you really hear.

Jean- I don't think anybody has ever attack Apple for having bad products, but rather for being more expensive, and proprietary.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-15 6:16 PM (#38987 - in reply to #38978)

Expert Yogi

I love Apple. I love their products, I love their customer service and most of all they have the BEST warranty plans ever. Did I mention their customer service has *real* people you can talk to and not someone overseas who can't speak and understand the English language?? I don't care if they are proprietary, they are the best. My neice got an MP3 player for Christmas last year...it doesn't hold a candle to the I-Pod..sorry.

BTW, last year I went through 7 sets of earphones....Yodha kept eating our headsets when we would leave him in the car to go into a store for a short time and my teenage daughter is rough on them. Since they were under warranty, Ipod replaced them for free and gave us Overnite Delivery all the way here to the boondocks in the mountains. It was so sweet,
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-15 8:22 PM (#38992 - in reply to #38692)

The problem with proprietary systems is two fold. First, it locks you into a specific vendor, so they can charge more. Two, you may or may not get more support. In this case Macs generally have less software available to them than IBM PCs.

Unfortunately Apple seems pretty determined to stay this way so that they can continue to charge more. Even with the switch to standard x86 Intel processors to power their latest systems, they insist on being the only people able to provide the hardware.

Interesting that their current success story, the iPod is not a proprietary solution, but rather works on both Macs and PCs.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-15 10:18 PM (#39002 - in reply to #38692)

Yes - I have no interest in converting to Mac, but love the iPod. I was very excited to see that iTunes now supports MP3 and WAV formats, and that you can burn CD's off the iTunes downloads (which wasn't the case previously). Works great on the Windows-based PC too.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-16 12:24 AM (#39019 - in reply to #38692)

The whole burn to CD is a huge issue with the record companies. Part of the problem is that they're incredibly shy about doing anything that would potentially compromise their IP. The sad fact is that the horse is out of the barn, WAY OUT, and they need to play nice. Unfortunately, they're used to the old system, where they get to bend the customers over. Anybody remember when Tom Petty threw a huge fit because his latest CD was going to start the $9.98US prices? Now the cheap CDs are at least $10-12.

Anyway, I'm glad to see iPod succeed. I used to work for a company that was trying to sell music over the 'net. About 6 months into it Napster came up big, and needless to say the company is no more. (Which was probably a good thing, 60-80 hr workweeks suck! )
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-16 9:28 AM (#39029 - in reply to #38692)

My brother is an independent music producer w/ several of his own albums out, and several he has produced for other bands. He was a little conflicted about the music swapping going on over the internet, but really the people who lose money are the executives. The artists don't tend to make a ton off album sales regardless! At this point he's just happy to have his work out there and people that want to hear it. His yoga music is HEAVENLY, by the way! He only composed on 30-minute Yoga Nidra piece for me so far, but if he ever does a whole yoga album I will let you know!

I don't mind paying for music, I just want it NOW and I want to listen to it wherever I want to go. The days of concept albums and cover art are largely over, and being able to just buy the songs you want works out pretty well for someone like me who just winds up playing 1 or 2 songs over and over anyway.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-16 10:47 AM (#39040 - in reply to #39029)

I saw an article a while back about the winners and losers in the swapping wars. Generally they argued that big names, like Britney Spears, tend to lose, while smaller names, such as your brother tend to win.

I have d/l things illegally over the internet, and I've also ripped CDs from the library (which is a much better source IMHO), which I'm not proud of, so I do try to buy albums. Stealing is stealing, regardless of who get ripped off. Right now I don't have any illegal d/ls and about 230 CD, or at least that's what winamp tells me.

As far as the single goes, I think it really depends on the artist. I've got X&Y by Coldplay, and the whole thing works really well together. I'd say the same thing for Cowboy Junkies Lay It Down

Posted 2005-12-16 5:03 PM (#39078 - in reply to #38692)

are my husband and I cave men?

i know what an mp3 playah is and i do understand how it works. i don't understand the jargon or shorthands most of the time. I also don't understand how to use the technology, nor do i have any interest inlearning.

it's taken me two days just to figure out blogger software. LOL fun. i do have a blog now, though, which is interesting. but, i'm even way behind on adopting that.

i think it's strange that we just dont' have any interst. We buy the CDs that interest us, and usually friends and clients burn CDs for me. and that's about it. Hmm.

yeah, i think we're cavemen.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-16 5:18 PM (#39081 - in reply to #38692)

If it works for you, great!

There are some advantages of mp3 files:
1) Better organization
2) Ability to play EVERYTHING you own, essentially an unlimited CD changer
3) Less likely to damage the originals

That having been said, it's a lot of work. It usually takes about 5-10 minutes per CD, so if you've got a big library, it can easily take months. I think when I first converted over I spent about 3-4 weeks of solid CD ripping, and I had about half the number of CDs.

iPods are definitely easier to carry around than a huge shelve full of CDs, or even a flipbook.

What's the address of your blog?
tourist
Posted 2005-12-16 6:46 PM (#39086 - in reply to #39081)

Expert Yogi

I tried to rip a stupid "calm-y relax-y" CD the other day (to play while my little darlings sleep so they don't hear me doing dishes etc.) and my stupid computer wouldn't let me. Not enough space or something dumb. You'd think being married to Mr. Computer, the frickin' frackin' thing would be the speediest, most memory holding, totally buffed, souped up computer in the land, but noooooo........! I am married to the only full-time computer consultant in captivity who doesn't care for playing with computers in his spare time

Fortunately, he DOES like playing with me so I'll keep him around awhile longer

Posted 2005-12-16 6:57 PM (#39088 - in reply to #38692)

yeah, i think i'll just stick with my relatively small CD collection. I think my husband and i have about 100-150 CDs between us. We own 13 DVDs. We just don't buy these things. Are we really strange? ;)

my blog address is http://www.padmapada.blogspot.com

i only have one (relatively lame) entry. i'm playing around with the technology and i decided to write some random stuff about that days roullette of the bhagavad gita and then i stuck it into some of the stuff that people around me are going through. it probably doesn't make sense. and my husband keeps going on about copy editing. i'm like "dude, it's a blog."
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-16 8:26 PM (#39112 - in reply to #39088)

Actually I've know quite a few computer guys like that. I think it's kinda like a bus man's holiday, after spending all your time at work dealing with them, you get a bit disgusted with the whole thing. You also have a better idea of what's useful on a computer and what isn't. For example, most people will buy the Intel processor because it has the high clock speed.... "Oh 4 Ghz!", while most computer guys will buy the AMD processor because it's half the price, and double the performance.

(We're also more likely to fill up all the space on the computer, causing the CD rip to fail).

Fortunately, he DOES like playing with me so I'll keep him around awhile longer
Sounds like you need it!

yeah, i think i'll just stick with my relatively small CD collection. I think my husband and i have about 100-150 CDs between us. We own 13 DVDs. We just don't buy these things. Are we really strange? ;)

Couldn't tell you, I don't know any "normal" people. Part of the reason I have so many is that I really like music, and I spend all day listening to it. Helps me drown out office noise. If I didn't listen about 8-10 hours per day I'd probably have far far few CDs.

I also don't own ANY DVDs. Just don't like to watch a movie more than once. I also don't like to read books more than once, but my bookshelves look a little silly w/o some books on them.

BTW, I like your blog, can I call you Jen? Zoebird's a bit long. It's definitely more interesting than the usual, "So I was out last night drinking, and I saw this hot guy, and I was like OMG! and then he saw me.... blah blah blah". The thing that sticks in my head from the Gita is that idea that we can NOT stop acting, not for a single second. As somebody who tends to put things off, the idea that even doing "nothing" is really doing something is pretty liberating.

What do you think about the technology? I'd start my own, but frankly I don't think I have enough stuff to say to keep one going.

Posted 2005-12-19 11:11 AM (#39216 - in reply to #38692)

i really enjoy music, but i also love silence. I spend a lot of my day in silence. I generally only listen to music when i'm driving (radio or CDs). it's probably a couple of hours a day. I also listen to music sometimes during yoga classes. That is, if i'm in a gym setting (rather than a silent setting), then i'll play music as an aural barrier to help my clients feel more 'separate' from the gym noise/experience. if i'm in a quiet studio, i'll play music during savasana (usually Om or some other chant) or i'll play the crystal healing bowl.

i love to listen to live music. i tend to go to local music places for various sorts of concerts. there's an organ concert next week that i'm going to. i'm very excited about that. there's also a women's choir giving an a cappella concert the week after next and i'm going to that too. i love live music best.

As to the blog, it's easy to use. i want to get another post up there, and i'm not sure what it's going to be on. probably some asana work or something. I'm also thinking of brainstorming about forming a Fertility Awareness club/meeting group in my area. i think it would be a good thing to have--something that's not catholic-theology-centric. i find that those who take the NFP method often are narrow in whom they'll teach the info or whatever else--and i find the information and discussing it to be rewarding, liberating, and all that. I think other women would benefit too, regardless of their theology. I dunno. we'll see what comes out.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)