YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

running is great
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

angel_crest24
Posted 2005-11-02 1:02 PM (#35718)
Subject: running is great

I am currently army reserve and was active two years and that was the best shape i stayed in by running 2-4 miles everyday. It keep you in good physical Shape and you can still eat what you want without the extra dieting BS.
When i went to Basic training a couple years ago i went from 150 lbs to 115 by running two miles every other day. You could see results almost immediately.
Now I am reconditioning myself to run like that again because I had a baby 6 months ago. I run for 30 min a day and do yoga every other day from running. It really helps a lot and keeps you in good shape.

Edited by angel_crest24 2005-11-02 1:05 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-02 2:16 PM (#35730 - in reply to #35718)
Subject: RE: running is great

What style are you taking?  Some are not as good for losing weight, while others are excellent.  I've been taking ashtanga for exactly this reason.
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-11-02 5:05 PM (#35758 - in reply to #35718)

Just chiming (or is it chimming?) in...running is great! I love it, too. I thought I was going to die when I first started running seriously. Now I have no problem. It's made a HUGE difference in my lung qi. Why do drugs when you can RUN!?!
trishanne
Posted 2005-11-02 5:57 PM (#35766 - in reply to #35718)

I LOVE running!! i run about 30 miles a week. it's very very addictive.
i also alternate running and yoga. and i think this is a great combo.
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-02 6:02 PM (#35768 - in reply to #35718)

I've been running since i was 8 and started doing athletics. I used to sprint for quite a few years, but then had to stop because i blew my knees. I then started long distance runs and lost a lot of weight, as sprinting muscles you up a lot.

I have pretty much stopped running now. I certainly don't train seriously anymore! The reason for that is that I found in ashtanga something just as challenging and good for my body as that, but in addition it wasn't about pushing pushing pushing, which a lot of runs are about. I just practice everyday now.

Whenever i have coached runners, i have always advocated not "going through the pain barrier" - that's for marathons! It doesn't do your running or your body any good.

I think a daily but comfortable little run is really effective. The run/yoga combo (maybe with swim too) is a great one.

angel_crest24
Posted 2005-11-02 10:38 PM (#35788 - in reply to #35730)

im trying out different kinds right now but the main one i dont know what its called but its the same stretches and muscular failure associated with army pt.
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-03 5:14 PM (#35860 - in reply to #35718)

I am not sure which one you mean, make sure you post when you find out!
Kathrynne1
Posted 2006-01-06 3:13 AM (#40332 - in reply to #35718)

I'm at the stage where when i run I feel like I'm going to die. I can only keep it up for a few minutes. How long does it take till I begin to like it?!
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-06 6:57 AM (#40335 - in reply to #35718)

It took me about 3 months of consistent running before I didn't feel like I was going to die. Listening to good music while running took my mind a little bit off the discomfort and acted as a motivator.

Do you have a running coach? I did and it helped a lot. It's nice to have someone encouraging you and critiquing your form so you can run more efficiently.

Good luck to you!

fifi
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-01-06 7:35 AM (#40338 - in reply to #35718)

Bottom line:

you should never feel pain when you're jogging or running (unless in competition conditions).

You should back off and be too impatient. Don't go on and on if it hurts or makes you feel uncomfortable it really does not help your running but rather makes you dread the run. Take it slow, take your time, walk sometimes, enjoy being outside in the fresh air. Pushing hard is for advanced runners.

This is mostly why you're not enjoying it. If you go easy, you will see yourself improve and then you'll really be able to go further and then after a while you get that adrenaline kick, it's all good.

A common mistake is to push and also to try and run further than you can cope with. Keep it manageable.

You'll see, it'll be much more fun this way.

newby
Posted 2006-01-06 9:03 AM (#40340 - in reply to #40338)

Try at the beginning to run only that fast such that it would be possible to talk to another person. If you run out of breath (sorry if this not a correct english phrase) just walk some minutes. You will realize that your walking breaks will get less and less. Also I would recommand to do always at least 30 minutes all in all (no matter how many walking you need) such that your body gets this new feeling. I hope that you can enjoy running soon, I love it
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-06 9:43 AM (#40343 - in reply to #35718)

Downward Dog,

You cannot expect to never experience pain while using your body, especially while running or jogging. Or Bikram yoga for that matter.

Someone new to running will more than likely have some discomfort. You just have to work through the discomfort. Besides, pain is very subjective. A woman can give birth to triplets, experience pain yet get through it. A man can have a hang-nail and act like he's dying. It's all subjective.

I remember a Nike commercial for their "Just Do It" campaign where a white couple dressed in nice safari clothes were whinning about their Land Rover breaking down during the heat of the summer in Africa. While these 2 were fretting and complaining a group of Kenyan runners ran past them - whoosh - gone in a flash, leaving behind cloud of dust where a moment ago there was a blur of bright orange Nike running shoes and beautiful black skin glistening with sweat.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-01-06 9:53 AM (#40346 - in reply to #35718)

Well I have never coached advocating any pain. It's the same in yoga. If it hurts you're doing it wrong.

Yes you should feel that you are being challenged but not "dying"! My goodness if everytime you went for a run you felt like you were giving birth to triplets, well I certainly wouldn't go

And I agree 30min minimum is the best way!

tourist
Posted 2006-01-06 10:03 AM (#40348 - in reply to #40332)

Expert Yogi

Kathrynne - I tried many times to take up running and never did really get to the stage where I craved my next run or felt anything but tired when I finished. I think it is either in your blood (those thin runner-types come to mind) or at least an acquired taste
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-06 10:04 AM (#40350 - in reply to #40332)

Kathrynne1 - 2006-01-06 3:13 AM
I'm at the stage where when i run I feel like I'm going to die. I can only keep it up for a few minutes. How long does it take till I begin to like it?!

I'm not a serious runner (meaning I run 3 miles here and there...sometimes even less), but I can tell you how to start.

Try the run/walk approach. Basically you run until you start feeling really tired, then you walk until you get your energy again. I do this when I haven't run in a while or when I'm feeling out of sorts. The amount of time spent running and walking depends on how you feel. For example: run 1 minute, walk for 2 minutes, run 1 minute, walk for 2, etc. You can change it up as you go along.

Sometimes I feel a burst of energy when I do this and run longer, sometimes I feel like total crap and walk longer.

Try it. You'll notice over time (a short period of time too...cardio builds up fast) that you can run longer and more comfortably. Music is important too. Gotta have tunes to get you through it.
tourist
Posted 2006-01-06 10:12 AM (#40352 - in reply to #40350)

Expert Yogi

One technique I tried which eliminated the timing thing was to go a certain number of telephone poles (or light posts, I guess would work, too). That way you don't have to keep looking at or listening to a bleeping watch Going with friends is also good as long as you are at similar levels. Chatting takes the mind off the pain... But you may not want suggestions from a failed runner!
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-06 10:14 AM (#40353 - in reply to #35718)

I read a great book called Marathoning for Mortals that has all kinds of great training plans. The one that sucked me in was a walk/run program. You walk 3 minutes, then run 1 minute, then go back to walking and start again. You'd be shocked how much mileage you can rack up, and really work up a sweat too! I am not very fit from a cardio standpoint, and even I can handle this.

Remember to rest every other day, too, do some cross-training (like yoga!) instead of a run. Helps to avoid injury and to keep you feeling fresh and excited!
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-06 12:38 PM (#40366 - in reply to #35718)

That sure is a creative twist of my words, DownDog.

Running mixed with walking is a great suggestion.

In another thread one of the veterans, Bay Guy, I think, posted an article on High Intensity Trainning. It incoporates running and walking, but I have to say it's a killer workout.
And by killer I don't mean someone who kills people. It's just an expression.

Miabella704
Posted 2006-01-06 3:06 PM (#40372 - in reply to #35718)

Go to www.runnersworld.com for advice on beginning a running program. At first you should alternate running with walking for thirty minutes. I.E., 5 minutes of walking/1 minute of running repeated for half an hour. You'll gradually build up stamina.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-01-06 6:25 PM (#40387 - in reply to #40366)

*Fifi* - 2006-01-06 12:38 PM

That sure is a creative twist of my words, DownDog.

Running mixed with walking is a great suggestion.

In another thread one of the veterans, Bay Guy, I think, posted an article on High Intensity Trainning. It incoporates running and walking, but I have to say it's a killer workout.
And by killer I don't mean someone who kills people. It's just an expression.

i was kidding hence the smiley face.

PabloDomeneLee
Posted 2006-01-07 1:05 AM (#40402 - in reply to #35718)

Another approach...

Go to a running or sports store and buy a not-so-expensive continous heart rate monitor. Strap it around your chest and wear the watch display on your wrist. Calculate the number 220 minus your age to estimate your maximum heart rate in BPM. Then calculate 55%-85% of your maximum heart rate in BPM. Walk or jog or run (or do intervals or whatever) to an intensity where you can go beyond 20 minutes while keeping you heart rate within that range. For beginners, estimate to keep your heart rate around 60%-65%. If you can comfortably manage a pace where your heart rate remains around 65%, up the duration beyond 20 minutes to say 25. Then 30. Then 35 etc etc. Until you can manage around 60 minutes. As your duration in time goes up due to your heart and lungs becoming more efficient, try to slowly up the intensity too. Say from 65% to 70% to 75% etc. This can be done over several weeks/months, say if you're running several times a week.

Key points:

1. Go over 20 minutes if you can, consider the first 20 as "your body is using up stored glycogen and glucose therefore primarily carbs not fat are being metabolized". (Assuming lowering body fat was the goal of taking up running to begin with.)

2. Always stay within your heart rate range of 55%-85%.

3. Always include several minutes warmup and several minutes cooldown...walking is great, or brisk walking for these.

4. Eventually, you can use another more accurate formula to determine your maximum heart rate and percentage ranges but this one works well enough for untrained individuals.

5. Know that running is an amazing form of cardio respiratory training, and every time to do it you're working "from the inside out" (like yoga!) as your heart and lungs become healthier. There's also no other way to burn fat off the body as efficiently as keeping up a moderate intensity running pace (say 70%) for a long duration of time (longer than say 20 minutes). Aside from ultra long distance endurance training, aim to keep a moderate pace and go at a 10 minute mile pace eventually being able to hold that for an hour long workout.

6. Wear correct footwear and try to vary the surfaces as much as possible (outdoor hard, outdoor soft, indoor cardio machine at the gym medium impact, indoor cardio machine at the gym low impact).

Pablo Domene Lee
http://www.pablodomenelee.com
samantha77
Posted 2006-01-07 10:45 AM (#40407 - in reply to #40332)

Extreme Veteran

Kathrynne1 - 2006-01-06 3:13 AM I'm at the stage where when i run I feel like I'm going to die. I can only keep it up for a few minutes. How long does it take till I begin to like it?!

I also reccommend combining running and walking while you are in the beginning stages.  For example:  start all your workouts with a 5 minute brisk walk. Do each work out three times in a week:  During the first week alternate 60 seconds of jogging with 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. The second week: 90 seconds of jogging 2 minutes of walking fo a total of 20 minutes. The third week: Do two repititions of the following:  jog 90 seconds, walk 90 seconds, jog 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes. The fourth week: do one cycle of: jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds, jog 5 minutes, walk 2 1/2 minutes, jog 3 minutes, walk 90 second, jog 5 minutes.  The fifth week: jog 5min, walk 3min, jog 5min, walk 3min, jog 5min. The sixth week: jog 5min, walk 3min, jog 8 min, walk 3min, jog 5min.  The seventh week: jog 2.5 miles or 25 minutes, The eighth week: jog 2.75 miles or 28 minutes, Ninth week: jog 3 miles, or 30 minutes.  This is the workout my track coach had me do when I switched from sprints to distance.  It worked really well for me!  I've never been in better shape than when I ran and did yoga!

Samantha

Kabu
Posted 2006-01-07 12:34 PM (#40409 - in reply to #35718)

Who are we kidding? Running sucks.

(Just teasin'...sort of. Try learning to jumping rope too. That is also a kick-butt cardio experience, good for coordination and great cross training. It takes a few weeks to learn to jump smoothly, but eventually you get it.)

Edited by Kabu 2006-01-07 12:34 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-07 11:01 PM (#40424 - in reply to #40409)

Uh...what I tried to say is...try learning to jump rope.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)