YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which school (?) of Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

willoweyes
Posted 2006-04-26 1:18 AM (#50511)
Subject: Which school (?) of Yoga

Which type or school of yoga is used in yogilaties? I was reading on the site about all the different types (schools?) of yoga and I am curious which one I am seeing in the pilates.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2006-04-27 3:37 AM (#50536 - in reply to #50511)
Subject: RE: Which school (?) of Yoga

Hi Willoweyes,
it's difficult for me to tell where the yoga is borrowed from-from the pictures I've seen, I can't tell where they have adapted the yoga postures from.It's easier to tell from a DVD, so if you find any moving images to download, send us a link.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-04-27 9:59 AM (#50555 - in reply to #50511)

Expert Yogi

WE - I am guessing it is general, all-purpuose "hatha" yoga and not one of the current "schools" of yoga. For people inventing their own hybrids of things it helps to have maximum flexibility with the theories and philosophies, so coming directly from one system would not be helpful. There have been several other yoga hybrids reported in the yoga mags - like disco yoga and tae-bo yoga (tae-yo? yo-bo? can't remember ) People will go to amazing lengths to cash in on a trend! I think a lot of the "fitness" types also like the idea of having a chance to lie in savasana at the end of their workouts, too. Can't say that I blame them on that one!
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-27 11:44 AM (#50565 - in reply to #50511)

I am repeating my other posting with apology under this thread:

Willoweyes: Posts: 7 after I made the post it occurred to me to check it out online. I was amazed at how much is out there. I've noticed similarities between ballet barr work, yoga and pilates but never dreamed anyone would name a class/style yogilaties. Interesting. Thank you being nice about my ignorance. Appreciate it.

=== Dear W: The main difference is all of them and Yoga is: Yoga is meant for spiritual growth as the end. To put it in a different way:

When one does all other things which look like Yoga or do not look like yoga exercise, but have spiritual end in mind, they are doing Yoga. And, when they do actual Yoga Exercise without spiritual end in min (for example, Fitness Gym , Pilates, etc.), they are NOT doing Yoga.

mishoga
Posted 2006-04-27 4:46 PM (#50587 - in reply to #50511)

Expert Yogi

I teach Yogalates, (this is how I spell yoga + Pilates). I am certified in Mat Pilates and Certified Rahini Yoga Instructor. I fuse both into a class format that is challenging with the breath changing several times throughout the class (Dirgha Breath and Pilates Breath, sometimes breath of fire to add intensity to static poses).
This is a self created Fusion. As far as a program that you learn or certify through, I'm not sure of where there is one.I do know they offer them though. I created this class format at the request of 2 gym owners. The students really enjoy it.
In the gym atmosphere, most of these students feel that if they are not stressing the muscles out and sweating, they are not getting a good workout. This just ups the focus and concentration more. Pilates isolates the core muscles. You actually feel the muscles working immediately. Incorporate this with restorative yoga moves and breathing and being mindful of the body makes a very pleasant, refreshing change from kickboxing, body sculpting, rebounder, etc.... The students in these two gyms like the change up. I enjoy teaching this as it is a light hearted class where we can laugh and support eachother through some of the tougher movements.

There is no savasana in this format. It is more fitness based.

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-04-27 4:47 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-04-27 11:20 PM (#50627 - in reply to #50511)

that is wonderful mishy!
willoweyes
Posted 2006-06-09 5:29 AM (#55279 - in reply to #50587)

I over did a move and my leg has been recouperating. Thanks so much for the information. Personally, I find pilates refreshing. It gets my head on straight better than when I did yoga or ballet. I actually found Aikido to be good at getting my mind focused. Bottom line, I think it is what the person brings to the class as much as the "form" in the class that helps with the spiritual side of it all.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)