YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fitness training for sports
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

fechter03
Posted 2005-12-15 9:09 PM (#38999)
Subject: fitness training for sports

Extreme Veteran

since we're on the topic of fitness and what constitutes being "fit", i was wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to the place of weight training or any supplemental training routine for sports are. i'm in the minority here in thinking that weight training is almost useless in training for sports...i'm saying this from experience.

back in my early college days, i used to weight train several times a week with a trainer at my school's fitness center. even though i was weight training, i found that once i played sports, i was still sore and that my muscles were weak even though i was squatting and benching quite a bit...not to mention i still couldn't throw a football at all whereas my roommate, who couldn't keep up with me in the gym had a cannon for an arm .

same thing happened when i started fencing. the footwork utilised the quads, hamstrings, calves in such a way that i still became sore. the only way my footwork became quicker and more efficient is through footwork practice. weight training just doesn't prepare your muscles for the ways in which they are used in sports.

i believe each muscle, and even each fibre of each muscle is used in particular ways that are unique to that sport and that the only way to prepare your body for a sport is through constant practice of that sport.

so, does this mean that weight training is useless as far as supplemental training for sport goes?? not really but i do think its overrated; i think its more worthwhile to train in that sport ONLY (maybe some cardio work could help with endurance) since it will develop your muscles FOR THAT SPORT; agree with me or not.

any thoughts???

Edited by fechter03 2005-12-15 9:15 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-12-16 3:53 PM (#39072 - in reply to #38999)
Subject: RE: fitness training for sports

i find that many sports benefit from weight training or other forms of 'cross' or 'supplemental' training because it promotes muscle balance and neuromuscular development.
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-12-17 9:05 PM (#39156 - in reply to #38999)
Subject: RE: fitness training for sport

www.crossfit.com
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-17 9:38 PM (#39157 - in reply to #39156)

Extreme Veteran

YogaGuy - 2005-12-17 9:05 PM

www.crossfit.com

that type of supplemental training i agree with as opposed to just weight training.
slimfit
Posted 2006-06-30 2:06 AM (#57215 - in reply to #38999)

hello.i personally dnt like to train in any type of exercise that will bulge out my muscles. i find yoga a more subtle way to exercise-no risk of having all my muscles prominent
ilchileesedona
Posted 2014-08-20 10:05 PM (#211641 - in reply to #38999)
Subject: Re: fitness training for sports

Veteran

Thanks for sharing your experiences buddy, what a nice fitness story you have.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)