YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calories & Pranayama
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

mike771
Posted 2007-05-17 12:22 PM (#86470)
Subject: Calories & Pranayama

Can i burn calories doing Pranayama. any idea how many i can burn in 15 mins.
how often can i do Pranayama, can i do it 10 times a day, 5 mins each or so ....
i need to loose weight asap. please advice
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redrox
Posted 2007-05-17 1:29 PM (#86491 - in reply to #86470)
Subject: RE: Calories & Pranayama

I have no idea how many calories pranayama would burn. Seems unlikely to me that it would burn as many as asana, but it's still the wrong question IMO. Losing weight is rarely an "ASAP" proposition however. Well not if you want to keep it off anyway. You need to learn some basic nutrition, apply what you learn, and move more. every single day. for the rest of your life. in my experience, that is the only "diet" that works. it requires patience and commitment. there are no short cuts or "easy outs". Good luck!
Isola
Posted 2007-05-17 1:53 PM (#86499 - in reply to #86470)

You don't gain weight "asap" so you wont lose it asap. That's something you have to accept in order to lose the weight and keep it off.

Proper diet and proper excersise is the best way to do it and you DESERVE the best, since you are human and alive and unique and beautiful. So don't deny yourself that.
shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-18 2:26 PM (#86652 - in reply to #86470)

One of the only times that I lose weight without trying to is when I am over a cold/flu, but still have a nagging cough. Coughing all the time makes me drop weight and once the cough goes away I go back to my setpoint weight. Maybe you could just cough a lot.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-18 6:57 PM (#86693 - in reply to #86652)

Expert Yogi

Give credit where it is due - this is certainly an original question!

Posted 2007-05-18 8:55 PM (#86705 - in reply to #86470)

I'm hoping you are joking about Pranayama to burn calories. You are likely to burn more calories tossing and turning in bed so I advise 4 more hours of sleep.

Caution, caution, caution. Pranayama is a very powerful, potent, effective tool and it should not be used like a sweat suit.

Attend to your emotions behind your eating, tidy up your habits, eliminate the crap and reeducate your pallate, and do not eat within four hours of bedtime. Get at least 30 minutes of walking in four times per week and keep your stress levels to a minimum. You'll return to your appropriate 9oht over time.

Pranayama in the hands of a master is juice, in the hands of the uninitiated it is felonious. Please leave it be.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-18 8:55 PM
ginkgo
Posted 2007-05-19 4:51 AM (#86738 - in reply to #86470)

If you want to lose weight, there are better ways. Bodybuilding will cause you to burn more calories 24 hours a day. There are also ways for Losing Weight Fast like an enema which is a secret trick used by models to flatten their tummy before an event. Then there is also the Lemonade Diet. See the above sites for more info on them.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-19 8:12 PM (#86770 - in reply to #86470)

mike771 - 2007-05-17 12:22 PM

Can i burn calories doing Pranayama. any idea how many i can burn in 15 mins.
how often can i do Pranayama, can i do it 10 times a day, 5 mins each or so ....
i need to loose weight asap. please advice

Mike: I shall PM you. But, Pranaayaama is NOT meant for loosing weight. So, that would be a wrong approach. However, you can loose a good amount by doing bhastrikaa. But, the problem is: Bhastrikaa will be stressful if you are over weight.

Posted 2007-05-19 10:39 PM (#86793 - in reply to #86470)

I just want to clarify that my post above was a general "here's what to do regarding weight" rather than a direct address to the OP.
redrox
Posted 2007-05-20 2:39 AM (#86805 - in reply to #86470)

FWIW, There is little evidence to suggest that cutting off eating at any time before bedtime has anything to do with weight loss, other than it may limit overall calorie consumption. There may in fact be a rationale for having a healthy late night snack to help normalize blood sugars overnight and not waking up as hungry in the morning. Snacks that contain fats and proteins may also provide greater REM sleep than those that are more carbohydrate based which can tend to activate the brain overnight and interfere with deeper sleep cycles. YMMV.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-20 10:27 AM (#86820 - in reply to #86805)

Expert Yogi

red - in my experience as someone with reflux, it is simply a matter of practice and a bit of discipline. (Lord knows I couldn't do it if it required a lot of discipline )Initially I just had to learn not to eat right before bed, then as things progressed and got worse, I had to push the time back a bit and now I really eat very little after about 4 pm. I am sometimes a bit hungry in the evening and have a few crackers, but generally I just eat the majority of my food between 10 am and 2 pm. I don't like it, but it does work, blood sugar issues and all.

Frankly, the thing about not eating in the evening is more about the fact that people pack a lot of calories in when they think they are just having a healthy snack than they think they are. I live with one of them. We can argue the science until the world comes to an end, as we seem to be doing about climate change, but the truth is, we need to stop eating so much, and if establishing a time at night when we need to stop will do any good at all, it is good. Science or no science.
redrox
Posted 2007-05-20 11:50 AM (#86827 - in reply to #86470)

Big difference between weight management and reflux and the first time reflux has come up in the thread. The statement, "do not eat within four hours of bedtime" was apparently made as a "a general "here's what to do regarding weight"" piece of advice. There are positives to eating something every 2-3 hours. If you finish dinner at 7 let's say, having something in the 9-10 pm time frame to help fuel your body overnight can be a good thing. Our bodies really do not "shut down" overnight. A lot of important "stuff" goes on and many of our systems are still working. As one who use to regularly sit down with a container of ice cream and a spoon while watching TV, I certainly understand the pitfalls and negative consequences of late night eating in all too personal a fashion.

The body doesn't really work on an hour by hour basis. Total caloric intake vs expenditure over a day, week or month, in very global terms, does tend to make a difference. If you are managing that equation correctly with foods that support your health it really doesn't matter what time of day you eat them. And cutting them off arbitrarily time-wise in the absence of other conditions (like reflux) may have more negatives than positives. It just isn't very sound advice IMO other than it can reduce total caloric intake and it is a time when more high calorie/low nutrition foods are consumed by many people. YMMV. The problem is not with the timing but more typically, the choice of foods. But that often applies to breakfast, lunch, dinner and other snacks throughout the day as well for those working on weight loss.

Edited by redrox 2007-05-20 12:05 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-05-21 1:20 AM (#86867 - in reply to #86827)

Expert Yogi

Yeah, I was just using the example that it is possible and apparently healthy enough to stop eating at a certain time. We are just not used to it. My guess is that we (westerners, North Americans, whatever...) are the only people who continue to eat well into the night. It seems right to me to allow the body to be calming down important systems like digestion before sleep. I know none of the science around this, it just seems that would be the way it would "naturally" (for lack of a better word) occur.

And thanks for the mention of the ice cream...that Haagen Dasz is calling my name now!
redrox
Posted 2007-05-21 1:31 PM (#86922 - in reply to #86470)

welcome to my world! Did make it to coldstone creamery sat. night after my older daughter's dance recital for a treat. My standing policy now is to only eat ice cream out somewhere and find a good high quality product and eat as small a size as possible. So far it's been working. It's back to being what these kinds of things should be, an occasional treat to be enjoyed and savored as something special. Nothing really wrong with a good high quality ice cream, IMO. It was just the frequency and quantities that made it problematic.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-21 9:32 PM (#86956 - in reply to #86922)

Expert Yogi

Uh - I would probably never come home with that policy!
redrox
Posted 2007-05-22 4:09 PM (#87008 - in reply to #86470)

Never been a cool whip fan, but fresh fruit cocktail is always lovely! And just because I lost my eating ice cream at home privileges, doesn't mean others shouldn't retain theirs. We all just have to find what works for us along the way.

And on a separate note, the thread drift in this thread has been truly outstanding!
tourist
Posted 2007-05-23 12:01 AM (#87050 - in reply to #87008)

Expert Yogi

Drift toward ice cream - always a pleasant trip
Isola
Posted 2007-05-23 6:25 AM (#87058 - in reply to #86867)

tourist - 2007-05-21 7:20 AM

Yeah, I was just using the example that it is possible and apparently healthy enough to stop eating at a certain time. We are just not used to it. My guess is that we (westerners, North Americans, whatever...) are the only people who continue to eat well into the night. It seems right to me to allow the body to be calming down important systems like digestion before sleep. I know none of the science around this, it just seems that would be the way it would "naturally" (for lack of a better word) occur.

And thanks for the mention of the ice cream...that Haagen Dasz is calling my name now!

That's not really accurate.

I have friends in for example Greece and Spain, and it's not at all uncommon to eat supper around 9 or 10 pm and then go to bed around 11 pm. They eat very little during midday and early afternoon instead. According to my friends, non of the countries have "weigh issues", so I really don't think that WHEN you eat does that big of a difference in the general public. There are exceptions, of course, but I think the worth of this whole "don't eat for 4 hours before bedtime" is greatly overestimated. Actually... I think it's a rule someone made up so that they could eat whatever they want during the day and fool themselves into thinking that it didn't do any harm because they didn't eat anything in the evening.
tourist
Posted 2007-05-23 10:11 AM (#87070 - in reply to #87058)

Expert Yogi

That is likely very true, Isola. The key is that they don't eat much the rest of the day and what they do eat must be healthier than what we eat in N. America. The people I know with weight issues here don't simply eat dinner at 9 pm. They may even skip breakfast and lunch but then eat non-stop from the moment they arrive home at night until they go to bed. And most of it is junk. They need rules
joscmt
Posted 2007-05-28 11:15 PM (#87635 - in reply to #86867)

tourist - 2007-05-21 1:20 AM

Yeah, I was just using the example that it is possible and apparently healthy enough to stop eating at a certain time. We are just not used to it. My guess is that we (westerners, North Americans, whatever...) are the only people who continue to eat well into the night.

Italians usually eat around 8pm and in Spain, dinner is closer to 10 or 11.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)