YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heart concerns & starting yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

berlinhammer
Posted 2008-01-16 6:56 AM (#102066)
Subject: heart concerns & starting yoga

hello all

i have been suffering from lethargy, tightness of the chest, a heavy heartbeat and palpitations recently, which are noticably more severe when i am moving about. i've been to a cardiologist and my echocardiogram and 24hr ECG didn't show anything too alarming so i'm hoping that this has all come on due to stress and anxiety and nothing more sinister. the tests aren't foolproof and there is still a chance that i have arrythmia problems that weren't picked up but i had a cancer scare recently so i think the odds are on my side for it being anxiety related.

anyway, i'm finding movement quite problematic at the moment but i'm keen to take up yoga to help me deal with things and build back up my physical confidence. i've never done yoga though and am baffled by all these different types. i was hoping that someone would be kind enough to recommend the best type of yoga for me to start out with given the current state of my health as outlined above. i'm 27 by the way.

i'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions so i can start looking for a yoga teacher in london england as soon as possible.

many thanks

jon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
berlinhammer
Posted 2008-01-16 6:59 AM (#102067 - in reply to #102066)
Subject: RE: heart concerns & starting

actually not sure this is posted in the right place. sorry. please move if so mods.

cheers.
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-01-16 9:57 AM (#102070 - in reply to #102066)
Subject: RE: heart concerns & starting yoga

I recommend you: a) Nutrition Knowledge. Write to me (neelpura@yahoo.com) b) A Yoga Exercise which is Gentle and Static to start with and then increasing in intensity over a period of one year. Of course, the instruction should come from a very experienced teacher, not a fitness class per say.It can be ANY STYLE of exercise including Pilates or even weights. But, of course, Yoga is recommended.

berlinhammer - 2008-01-16 6:56 AM

hello all

i have been suffering from lethargy, tightness of the chest, a heavy heartbeat and palpitations recently, which are noticably more severe when i am moving about. i've been to a cardiologist and my echocardiogram and 24hr ECG didn't show anything too alarming so i'm hoping that this has all come on due to stress and anxiety and nothing more sinister. the tests aren't foolproof and there is still a chance that i have arrythmia problems that weren't picked up but i had a cancer scare recently so i think the odds are on my side for it being anxiety related.

anyway, i'm finding movement quite problematic at the moment but i'm keen to take up yoga to help me deal with things and build back up my physical confidence. i've never done yoga though and am baffled by all these different types. i was hoping that someone would be kind enough to recommend the best type of yoga for me to start out with given the current state of my health as outlined above. i'm 27 by the way.

i'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions so i can start looking for a yoga teacher in london england as soon as possible.

many thanks

jon
tourist
Posted 2008-01-16 10:01 AM (#102071 - in reply to #102067)

Expert Yogi

Hi BH - there is a current thread about types of yoga here:
http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26335&posts=4

I would strongly suggest that you work with an experienced teacher, both because this is good to do under most circumstances, but in your case it will help alleviate some of your anxiety. Having someone knowledgeable watching you carefully will help you feel confident that you are not injuring yourself.

And here is one regarding stress with a gentle breath exercise:
http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=26299&posts=9

Good luck!
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-16 11:42 AM (#102077 - in reply to #102071)

Not to do with your question per se, but I wanted to sympathise.

I had similar "I think I'm going to die" spells when caring for my Father during his last illness - racing heart, dizzy spells, etc. Once he'd gone, I got back on track with diet, exercise, enough sleep etc and felt a lot better. I also made a resolution to spend the coming year being selfish and putting myself and my needs first for the first time in my life and to learn how to say no. Mainly because after 3.5 years looking after my Dad I felt like my life, my personality and my identity as an individual had vanished. Best thing I ever did. Fitter, lighter, and, feedback from friends and family has said, more likeable (ironic, eh?).

Perhaps making a similar be good to yourself vow (appropriate to your own circumstances) would help your anxiety levels too?

Regards,

Fiona

Edited by Orbilia 2008-01-16 11:43 AM
sark
Posted 2008-01-16 2:38 PM (#102084 - in reply to #102066)

It is my opinion that yoga can be of great benefit to you.

A couple years ago I experienced a racing heartbeat. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with SVT. The doctor said it was nothing to worry about. Even so it caused me great anxiety. I saw counselors about it and even tried medication but nothing worked. I started taking a yoga class and started to see an improvement, after about 2 months I was feeling great, anxiety free. Even my SVT has cleared up, I cannot remember the last time my heart raced. The type of yoga I did was Iyengar style. I would recommend it highly. I would avoid any vinyasa style classes at least at first as they are more of a workout.
berlinhammer
Posted 2008-01-17 4:53 AM (#102113 - in reply to #102084)

oh ok brilliant thanks very much for the posts.

maybe i should give that iyengar one a go sark, i just need to find a good instructor in london. if i do have an arrythmia i'm confident it isn't a lifethreatening one and it sounds like this is a good measure to adopt. if it is anxiety then i'm sure it will help anyway.

i'm also getting a good amount of sleep and avoiding booze, caffeine, salt and sugar so hopefully i'll be rid of these infuriating symtoms eventually, getting so bored not being able to be active!

i'm glad things worked out for you too fiona thanks for the post.

Posted 2008-01-17 8:32 PM (#102147 - in reply to #102066)

Jon,

I understand your current situation and the mindfullness you display is very appropriate.
Please consider contacting Drew Stallcop there in the London area. There are three reasons I recommend Drew.

1. He is a peer of mine. As such I have trained with him, instructed him, been instructed by him, and hugged by him. So I can speak to his nature quite accurately (from my perspective).

2. He continues his training with our teacher in the College of Purna Yoga. Aadil Palkhivala oversees the program there and his emphasis on safety is like no other I have worked with or observed. Therefore Drew knows what things you may or may not do depending on your condition of the day. In this way your risk is minimized.

3. Drew is there in the London area and is accessible.

try him here

Namaste

gordon

Edited by purnayoga 2008-01-17 8:35 PM
Nick
Posted 2008-01-23 2:58 AM (#102320 - in reply to #102113)

Hi Jon,
I live and teach in London-which part do you live in? If you are near Primrose Hill, there's a yoga centre there called Triyoga-yoga centre are a good place to start as they offer different teachers and different styles, and hopefully the teachers are reasonably good otherwise people wouldn't attend their classes and the centre would fire them. Out of all the big yoga centres, Triyoga looks the best to me-they have their schedule on-line so you can check that out.
I also know lots of teachers, so if you are stuck and can't find anyone, maybe i can point you in the right direction.
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)