YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

heart rate monitor w yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

boodidah
Posted 2006-12-13 9:34 AM (#71590)
Subject: heart rate monitor w yoga

It may sounds funny but does anyone use one for yoga? I take my Bios Fitness heart monitor to measure heart rate, and if it lowers my heart rate. It has lowered over time with yoga. Of course, I also use it in my cardio training to make sure I don't over exert.

Edited by boodidah 2006-12-13 9:35 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-12-13 9:53 AM (#71592 - in reply to #71590)
Subject: RE: heart rate monitor w yoga

Expert Yogi

Sally - I can see that it would be a useful tool for someone who had heart concerns and a fun thing to try for those who are curious. I personally don't do an aerobic form of yoga so it would be just a pain for me.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-13 2:16 PM (#71604 - in reply to #71590)

boodidah - 2006-12-13 9:34 AM

It may sounds funny but does anyone use one for yoga? I take my Bios Fitness heart monitor to measure heart rate, and if it lowers my heart rate. It has lowered over time with yoga. Of course, I also use it in my cardio training to make sure I don't over exert.

Can you please give a little more specific as what exactly you do with this monitor physically when you are doing Yoga Exercise?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-13 3:13 PM (#71608 - in reply to #71604)

Expert Yogi

Neel.

It's suppose to be 'monitor' your heart rate while doing yoga....not with yoga.

Personally, I found these kinds of things to be quite distracting and annoying. However, I could see my Father doing this if he were to take a yoga class. Some people like these things, some of us don't care one way or the other. Like, I KNOW what my heart rate is after doing standing postures and CAMEL in the Bikram series, no need to measure, a long savasana will usually adjust it back to normal heeheehee,
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-13 10:08 PM (#71619 - in reply to #71590)

CB: My question is: Let us say something called Heart Monitor is there. Now, when one is doing Yoga, what they do. Do the put it in their pocket or on a wrist or on the heart or head? And, what exercises they actually do? And, when they look at the monitor? During or after? ETC.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-13 11:38 PM (#71626 - in reply to #71619)

Expert Yogi

Your guess is as good as mine NB.

Posted 2006-12-14 2:42 AM (#71628 - in reply to #71590)

I've discussed this a time or two. A firend of mine is a "personal trainer". The kind that works with clients in weight training is is certified. And yes we're still friends .

I wanted to wear this monitor and take a couple different kinds of classes. Unfortunately the data provided by these monitors isn't really enough to make a determination of anything. There's not a broad enough range of data to cross reference and conclude.

Now it might have ben interesting to say "my average heart rate in a vinyasa class was 82 and in an Iyengar class it was 63". Other than that it's not too relevant and they're not all that accurate.
tourist
Posted 2006-12-14 10:03 AM (#71649 - in reply to #71628)

Expert Yogi

Neel - I don't know if there are fancy, newer models, but the one Mr. Tourist used to have had a flexible band that went around the chest and a "watch" worn on the wrist. Very valuable for athletes doing aerobic activities such as running, biking and swimming to make sure they are in the proper range of heart rate and not under-doing or over-doing. As Cyndi says, for someone older or not sure of their heart health (or simply curious) they would be a good tool. I don't think they would interfere with a typical asana practice.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-14 5:53 PM (#71712 - in reply to #71590)

What is OP doing? Now, if I wear something around my chest, and then something on my wrist:

- When and how will I watch the wrist, if I am in Matsyendrasana, seated twist.

- How will I watch it when I am in headstand.

- And, in downward dog.

- And, bakaasana,

- And a standing prayer pose

- And a forward standing or seating bend.

I think this device is a vice.
boodidah
Posted 2006-12-19 10:59 AM (#71994 - in reply to #71590)

Yes it's more popular with cardio. Good points brought out... There is an audio heart rate unit from BF that will auto-annouce your heart rate at a regular interval (and you choose how often). BUT aside from that, any decent heart rate monitor will tell you your max heart rate during that time interval that you use it (press start and stop to time a period of exercise), min heart rate, and average, and duration in a "target zone" - you don't need to be constantly looking at it. I am concentrating on my state of mind when I'm doing my exercise. But I do look at the data AFTER I'm done. To each his/her own.

As someone else explained, the unit measures your heart rate with the chest strap you wear around your chest to measure your heart rate, and it transmit data wirelessly to the wrist unit. You can read your results on the wrist unit. The wrist unit also stores data after you're done exercise so you can look at it later. I hope that explains it better!

Edited by boodidah 2006-12-19 11:01 AM
Aram
Posted 2006-12-20 4:29 AM (#72023 - in reply to #71590)

I'm sorry I'm new here, and I can't understand why do you need heart rate monitor during yoga? Is it important..?
tourist
Posted 2006-12-20 9:53 AM (#72032 - in reply to #72023)

Expert Yogi

NO
mistymin
Posted 2007-01-26 11:34 PM (#75392 - in reply to #71590)

Not sure if yoga would be one to have to monitor your heart rate as you would with cardio.
If you are going to monitor it during yoga, what would be a normal rate you would want to achieve to make sure you are not over exerting yourself?? :roll:

Edited by mistymin 2007-01-26 11:36 PM
sark
Posted 2007-04-13 2:39 PM (#83287 - in reply to #71590)

I use one when doing cardio exercises to keep my heart rate in the 130's or so, I have never used one in yoga, I have checked my pulse a couple times and it was under 100 for sure so I would not see a need to wear one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)