YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pilates for Men DVD
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

noshuzbluz
Posted 2007-07-31 7:23 PM (#93109)
Subject: Pilates for Men DVD

Hey Everyone,
First post and new to Pilates. I've got 5 sessions under my belt and can't believe the result!
I became intrested when I started to fight my way back to windsurfing shape after a 3 year hiates. I've lost my core strength after chasing a golf ball and not windsurfing. Well, after doing this dvd I feel like maybe I never had it! WOW! This is pretty hard! Although I probably shouldn't do it every day after what I"m reading on this forum, I've been very careful not to hurt myself. Lower back to the mat, good posture etc. I feel taller and walk different and am absolutley killing the golf ball! WOW! I haven't been windsurfing yet but feel like I even have better balance so that will help.
Anyway, should I not be doing this every day? Or should I just let my body let me know when to slow down. The first time I did this work out I thought halfway through it that maybe I should have gotten Pilates for little girls! After learning the routine I've gotten better at techniqe and some of the exercises ar even harder. This morning I started to feel like I was going to pull my groin muscles so I stopped. I know I'm gong to hear "go to a class" but I hate classes and like I said I really try to focus on doing it right rather than just getting through it.
Thanks!
Ron
Top of the page Bottom of the page
raquel
Posted 2007-08-01 8:30 AM (#93144 - in reply to #93109)
Subject: RE: Pilates for Men DVD

Hy great to hear you are feeling the benefits of pilates but.......you really should check out a class so an experienced teacher can check your posture and technique, even if you have a few classes just so you know that what you are doing is correct. It may feel correct but it could be wrong. The back should not come fully onto the mat, there should be a small space underneath your lower back so that you are working the core properly if you press your lower back into the mat, you are not strengthening your lumber.
You can practice pilates as many times a week as you like, at least 3 times a week to get quick results but if your not performing the exercise properly you could in the long run do more harm than good. Go along to a class i bet you will love it!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-01 9:08 AM (#93149 - in reply to #93144)

I know my line manager adores his mat pilates class so they're not just for the girls / wimps :-)

Fee
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-01 9:24 AM (#93153 - in reply to #93109)

A few years ago I practised lots of pilates (both mat and reformer).

I remember when I moved from mat 2 to mat 3, half way through the class i wanted to throw up.

It was so hard.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-01 9:46 AM (#93157 - in reply to #93109)

Its a great complmetary practice for yoga ! Ive been teaching mat for 4 years and I am half way through TT for reformer, I love it, Some of my classes in England were full with men. Dont you practice anymore jonnie?
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-01 12:44 PM (#93164 - in reply to #93109)

No, I took about 25 lessons with Brian the Dubai Bikram instructor and local Bikram studio owner and his assistant a few years ago.

They really improved my strength and flexibility and I still use the principles in my asana classes and private practise.

belle vie
Posted 2007-08-02 10:02 AM (#93272 - in reply to #93109)

Veteran

Does anyone know a good mat 3 pilates DVD? I started beginning pilates, quit - it was too hard, went back and stayed with it until it was too easy. Same with an intermediate mat pilates. I've looked for more advanced pilates but seem to be unable to find any.

I've practiced pilates for 3-4 years so with fall coming on, I will not be able to swim everyday--my total pleasure for the summer-- and want to get back to yoga and pilates.

Is there a difference between pilates for women and men? I didn't think there was. It is just a tough workout that produces results if done correctly. It can cause injuries if not done correctly. Then you are out for more time recuperating than you have been in

Ron, every DVD I have seen as well as all the people on the forum advise doing pilates no more than 4 times a week. It is a powerful series of exercises and the body need time to heal whether you feel an injury coming on or not. Yoga is great in combination with pilates--as long as you don't jump into a full head stand the first day out
raquel
Posted 2007-08-02 4:39 PM (#93331 - in reply to #93109)

hy belle, Sorry I dont follow videos, but I can tell you the mens pilates has a lot more on upper body exercises and works on flexibilty (which most men are lacking) Have you tried the reformer? or were you looking for something to do at home?

Ron, - Joseph said in his book - you only need to practice 4 times a week to get results
belle vie
Posted 2007-08-03 11:36 AM (#93408 - in reply to #93109)

Veteran

Thanks, Rachel, I am looking for an at home practice. The only studio is 45 minutes away, several times a week gets to be a lot of time. It is interesting, the difference between men's and women's pilates. I am pretty flexible and do not need a body like Michael Phelps. The workouts I have done stress both upper and lower body. I feel they are good but I need to heat it up , to be challenged once again.

I like to swim at a public pool 20 minutes away. That gets to be really time consuming. 40 minutes commute, hour swim, half hours shower and change. I have to look half human--not to mention smell--after an hour in a heavy chlorinated pool
raquel
Posted 2007-08-03 12:23 PM (#93416 - in reply to #93109)

The Stott pilates dvds are good, they do a level 3 one called core challenge and a level 4 - strong and stream lined plus other ones on the ball (great workout)

belle vie
Posted 2007-08-04 9:46 AM (#93466 - in reply to #93109)

Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion raquel, I'll "get on the ball" about thoses DVDs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)