YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

new and unsure
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

peace_seeker
Posted 2007-06-26 1:50 PM (#90166)
Subject: new and unsure

I'm intrested in starting yoga but i'm very unsure of myself. I've watched videos and read books about it and even tryed it a little, but I feel I'm lacking the personal views of actual practioners. That is why I joined this forum. I hope to learn so much more about it and eventually become more comfortable in doing it.
That that I have learned about it has intrigued me very much and I would love to learn more about everything from mantras to meditation to healthier eating habits. I have a bad problem with stress and anxiety, I've heard yoga can help with that. But that is not the only reason why I want to start practicing yoga. I want to also find peace within myself and within the world.
Are there mentors in yoga? If there are, I would love to have one. If you are intrested, please pm me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-06-26 3:40 PM (#90180 - in reply to #90166)
Subject: RE: new and unsure

You remind me bit of myself. I become interested in something, and I just go for all the informations i can gather. But in end I think I become too informed in a way(am I making sense? ). Luckily for me, I sort of dived into yoga practice head-on, knowing only that my friend enjoyed it soo much, hollywood hype and my own thinking that it's about lot of stretching or meditating. But after learning that it's much more than exercise I'm learning things more in my own speed but not trying to overload myself to informations at once or more importantly simply taking other people's experiences own(but building my own relation to yoga). Lot of advices I've gotten in here or for my other friend who's also looking into yoga was that try out couple different yogas practices to find one that suits you. My first try was hot yoga and I feel very dedicated at the moment. Here is the link to other part of this forum where information is given: http://yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=24828&posts=15

As far as stress and anxiety problem? I also suffer from these, and it has gotten worse during my past semester in school. They've gotten somewhat better with understanding(or trying to) spirituality of yoga. Which is still something I'm trying to understand. I think key point I've been hearing is think positive, accept yourself, acknowledge your hard work(someone can add on more). Or maybe it's just because I'm not in school for the summer , but I'm gonna be positive and say that yoga helped But I think in all in all, I'm seeking healthy body as well as my "spiritual salvation"? Just sharing my two cents!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-26 8:45 PM (#90196 - in reply to #90166)

You can PM me. But, from what you wrote, your method should NOT be: Replacing the videos/books with forum posts to get knowledge. You need a personal instruction as you rightly wrote. And, that is what you should do. Best luck.

peace_seeker - 2007-06-26 1:50 PM

I'm intrested in starting yoga but i'm very unsure of myself. I've watched videos and read books about it and even tryed it a little, but I feel I'm lacking the personal views of actual practioners. That is why I joined this forum. I hope to learn so much more about it and eventually become more comfortable in doing it.
That that I have learned about it has intrigued me very much and I would love to learn more about everything from mantras to meditation to healthier eating habits. I have a bad problem with stress and anxiety, I've heard yoga can help with that. But that is not the only reason why I want to start practicing yoga. I want to also find peace within myself and within the world.
Are there mentors in yoga? If there are, I would love to have one. If you are intrested, please pm me.

Posted 2007-06-27 12:39 AM (#90205 - in reply to #90166)

Hello Kayla,

To me, there are few safer places to explore something you are hestiant or fearful of than in a yoga class (studio). For many, it is the fact that we are not "good" at something that prevents us from the doing. And each of us understands that it is unlikely to start something, do something for the very first time, and be proficient. Add to that the fact that proficient isn't something to be emphasized in yoga or asana (as far as I am concerned). You may become more proficient or you may not, so what. The importance is that yoga has an impact on the way in which you live your life.

That having been said, I hope the path is clear for you to take some classes or individual instruction.
A local studio may offer an Intro class. Then you can progress in a mindful way without the added stress of "I don't know...." this or that.

Books and forums, and chat are all fine but actually devloping a practice, to me, is more important.

We are all unsure of ourselves.
tourist
Posted 2007-06-27 7:53 AM (#90215 - in reply to #90166)

Expert Yogi

Hi Kayla - this says it all to me:
You need to just go to some classes and see how they work for you. Don't try to think yourself into yoga. It is experiential
peace_seeker
Posted 2007-06-27 12:11 PM (#90227 - in reply to #90166)

Thank you all sooo much for your advice. As far as the yoga classes go....that's a little bit difficult for me because as far as I know, there is only one place in my little town that has yoga classes (they just started doing it not more than a month ago) and they only do them on a certain day of the week at night and my job takes up almost all of my nights. That is why I just decided to try and start practice on my own. However, I am going to try and ask around town to see if someone else does classes at a more convenient time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

However, in the mean time, I don't know anybody who practices it. I'm so thankful for the love and support that I received after posting that message. When I posted it, I was a little scared that someone would reply and scold me for saying some of the stuff that I said. Thank you all again!
juicyg
Posted 2007-06-27 2:07 PM (#90235 - in reply to #90227)

I don't have anything else to add, but welcome, and good luck on your journey!

Julie
sark
Posted 2007-06-28 4:29 PM (#90329 - in reply to #90166)

I too suffer from anxiety ( or at least did ) and yoga has helped me to overcome it. It did not happen overnight and took a couple of months, but it is working. I have been under a lot of stress lately at work, but it no longer affects me in a negative way ( at least most of the time ). I almost look forward to situations that may be stressful and challenging. I believe it has a lot to do with balance, not just all stressful situations or neutral situations(like watching tv) but balancing stressful times with yoga/meditation. If you cannot get to a class learn from books or videos or change your schedule to accomodate the class, you will be glad you did.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)