YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Incense burners?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

Jamest
Posted 2007-06-16 12:40 PM (#89559)
Subject: Incense burners?

Do these do any good and are there any good brands if i was to buy one (UK)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-16 12:56 PM (#89560 - in reply to #89559)
Subject: RE: Incense burners?

They smell nice
souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-16 6:00 PM (#89571 - in reply to #89559)

Hi,
I think they were developed to cover the smells in India...ha,ha.
Feels like it clears, purifies the atmosphere.
You could try 'Nag Champa', if you are after a strong scent. Or Tibetan incense, if you like more subtle scent.

Peace,
Soul

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-16 7:20 PM (#89575 - in reply to #89559)

You can use incese sticks of pure Sandle Wood. Alternatively, you can use Cyndi's Bee Wax candle which give out Honey smell. I found them better. You must NOT use any artificial incense which costs less.

And, lastly, use only very small amount.

Jamest - 2007-06-16 12:40 PM

Do these do any good and are there any good brands if i was to buy one (UK)?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-16 9:06 PM (#89581 - in reply to #89559)

That is a good sign. Do not use the incense and candles. You are lucky. You can use simple flowers which have nice smell. But, they cost too much in USA.

karmann - 2007-06-16 8:09 PM

In the last few years I've become quite sensitive to incense, scented candles and the like. Not sure I'd be able to take a class where incense had been burned.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-06-16 9:59 PM (#89584 - in reply to #89559)

Guys, the question was about BURNERS, not incense.

I've seen a few. The long flat ones are nice, but if there's a wind, they tend to scatter ash all over the place. I personally like ones that are up and down, with a small bowl or something to catch the ash, much better for burning something cleanly.

You should also check the size of the hole for putting the incense in. Generally stick incense either has a stalk of some sort running through it, or is solid incense. Nag Champas a good example of an incense stick with a stalk running through it. OTOH, the tibetian incense I've seen tends to be solid incense. Depending on the type, they may or may not fit into the hole on the burner, so I'd take a stick of whatever you were planning on burning along with you to test fit it into the burner.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-16 10:47 PM (#89586 - in reply to #89584)

GJ: Thanks for the wise correction. The good buners are those where the incense burns inside and the smoke comes out of small holes without getting too much soot into your lungs.

GreenJello - 2007-06-16 9:59 PM

Guys, the question was about BURNERS, not incense.

I've seen a few. The long flat ones are nice, but if there's a wind, they tend to scatter ash all over the place. I personally like ones that are up and down, with a small bowl or something to catch the ash, much better for burning something cleanly.

You should also check the size of the hole for putting the incense in. Generally stick incense either has a stalk of some sort running through it, or is solid incense. Nag Champas a good example of an incense stick with a stalk running through it. OTOH, the tibetian incense I've seen tends to be solid incense. Depending on the type, they may or may not fit into the hole on the burner, so I'd take a stick of whatever you were planning on burning along with you to test fit it into the burner.

Posted 2007-06-17 2:25 AM (#89595 - in reply to #89559)

Jello man you are right but as is evidenced in this board time and time again, threads tend to have lives of their own and prattle on without rhyme or reason.

What I wonder is how many of our readers actually burn incense and in what environment (outside, inside, bathroom, meditation hut etcetera....)

Anyone who's really interested in the incense burning itself can do a google search on

"incense benzopyrene"

and make their own call.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-17 9:06 AM (#89601 - in reply to #89595)

purnayoga - 2007-06-17 10:25 AM

Anyone who's really interested in the incense burning itself can do a google search on

"incense benzopyrene"

and make their own call.

Thanks for that Gordon.

Scarey stuff:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1100

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-06-17 10:30 AM (#89609 - in reply to #89601)

Expert Yogi

I was interested in the "do they do any good?" part of the question. I have no idea what that means.
Jamest
Posted 2007-06-17 3:49 PM (#89630 - in reply to #89559)

ie: do they help to meditate or practise yoga?
tourist
Posted 2007-06-18 9:45 AM (#89672 - in reply to #89630)

Expert Yogi

James - I would find them very unhelpful in practicing yoga or meditation as I am no longer fond of the smell. I liked it when I was a teen, though. Some people do find that it helps them get in the mood for yoga, though. So it is very personal. It is also a very small investment to try it and you can stop if you don't like it.
belle vie
Posted 2007-06-19 9:12 AM (#89722 - in reply to #89672)

Veteran

Gorden, thanks for the google lead. Once again I have been pulled back from the abyss of harmful substances. In response to your question, I do not use incense. Like Tourist, I do not like the smell although a time ago I thought it would help put me in a mood. It did not work, I could not even keep the 'd' thing lit and I still do not like the smell of incense, in general, scented candles, or heavy scented rooms like Victoria's Secret -as an extreme example

I live in a relatively pollution 'light' area in the country and wait, with great anticipation, the coming of spring and the scent of roses and jasmine coming in from my garden. Sheer pleasure

As for threads prattelling on in chaotic free association, I thinks it's kind of fun. What do you think?
souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-20 4:18 AM (#89778 - in reply to #89630)

karmann - 2007-06-18 8:59 AM

Jamest - 2007-06-17 3:49 PM
ie: do they help to meditate or practise yoga?

Now it DOES sound as though you're asking about the incense itself (?)

Hi James ,
Did you want to know if insense and what brands, are any good or insense holders?

Peace,
soul
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-20 10:45 AM (#89803 - in reply to #89722)

Expert Yogi

belle vie - 2007-06-19 9:12 AMI live in a relatively pollution 'light' area in the country and wait, with great anticipation, the coming of spring and the scent of roses and jasmine coming in from my garden. Sheer pleasure

Well, that's much better than incense....natural incense. If you really want something nice, visit my website. I make beeswax candles. You can read all about why on my faqs page. The only incense I truly enjoy is Japanese incense. I use Nippon Kodo's "pure" line, it's the greatest. Otherwise, I burn beeswax or my soy/beeswax blends....it's much healthier. Best wishes.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-06-20 10:46 AM
belle vie
Posted 2007-06-21 9:58 AM (#89873 - in reply to #89559)

Veteran

Cyndi, that is a lovely website. I live within walking distance of beekeepers and their bees . I do hope they are still there! So, I have access to lovely thyme and rosemary honey, my favorites, in addition to many other types. I do have some questions so I will pm you shortly, if I can figure out how to do it
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-21 1:39 PM (#89886 - in reply to #89873)

Expert Yogi

Hey Belle vie,

I've never had thyme and rosemary honey.  I have these two herbs in my garden, but the bees don't really do much with it.  They are busy with some other stuff....like we are fixing to go into our Sourwood Honey Flow...it's my favorite.  My hives are very active right now.  I did have some Blueberry honey once though...it was good. 

You have to be careful these days...some people are adding flavorings to honey and calling it whatever the flavor is.  The blueberry honey I had was not honey with blueberry flavoring, it was honey made from the blueberry nectar, from the flowers.  Big difference.  The flavoring in honey is actually a "sin" as far as I'm concerned.  It's totally un-natural.  But, that's my preference of course,

belle vie
Posted 2007-06-24 6:32 AM (#90019 - in reply to #89559)

Veteran

As I said just above, I live in walking distance from the hives and walk through the fields of thyme and rosemary in which they live so I assume as least the honey that beekeeper sells is authentic. Except, I am not really sure where or to whom he sells it. However,I will take your caution and read the labels carefully before I buy in any commercial establishment ie. super market or anywhere for that matter
Thanks a lot for the information
Cyndi
Posted 2007-06-24 6:33 PM (#90037 - in reply to #90019)

Expert Yogi

Hey Elizabeth,

I'm sure the honey in your area is just fine.  Here in the states, there are some beekeepers that started doing this procedure of adding artificial flavoring and coloring to match, to their honey.  Not very many people do this and you'll usually know it...especially if you're a honey conisseuer (sp?) like me,  

tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-06-26 3:11 PM (#90177 - in reply to #89559)

that's a shame.. i have a box full of incense i enjoy(not for meditation), and it's just sitting in my home with words of this forum floating around it..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)